HD Review / Slash /@ Zenith Paris (12/07/11)

D..

I was there and it was a good show. Lots of GNR songs (Civil War, Rocket Queen, Nightrain, Patience, Brownstone, and the obvious Sweet Child & Paradise City), very few VR songs (only Slither), some Snakepits songs, and SLASH songs. Some songs were played for the first time ever live, like "Promise" and "Speed Parade".

To me the highlight of the show was definitely Promise, the guitar work on this song is awesome and the rendition live is brilliant.

Slash was on top of his game on most songs even with some fuck ups here and there, he definitely has a better feel than DJ Ashba on old GNR songs, you can't top this guy.

However I wasn't too impressed by the show itself, there wasn't much to see on the stage, nothing really seemed to happen between the band members who could have been anybody, I don't even remember their faces.

As for Myles Kennedy, he's definitely one of the nicest frontmen I've seen in my life on a stage, but he's also definitely not the right singer for Slash songs. He's very good looking and nice but nothing happens besides that really, his voice is boring and empty, it's too high pitched (a bit like Axl's 2002 voice, but without emotion), he doesn't live those songs, I didn't feel anything. So I had to concentrate on the guitar but it pretty much ruined the magic for me, even though on a technical level he's a good singer, it just doesn't do it.

Overall, it was nice, but I would definitely not pay again to see this lineup live. NuGNR are definitely a lot more interesting live than Slash solo, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to see the two together.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing Slash & Duff together again with a better singer (than Myles. Pains me to say anything negative about this guy as he's so nice).

Speaking of Duff, I also saw Loaded @Le Zenith recently (opening for Judas Priest -terrible but funny-), the songs were all garbage (i'm sorry), the only great moment was "It's so easy", but Duff has so much charisma you don't really care about the shitness of the songs, it's a bit like Ramones songs, most of the songs are very mediocre but there's some rawness, feel and charisma to it. Duff reminds me of the Ramones, but cooler and blonder. Definitely looking forward to seeing him with Slash again, or with Axl, whatever, we need more Duff.

Setlist of SLASH @Le Zenith

Been There Lately

Nightrain

Ghost

Mean Bone

Back From Cali

Rocket Queen

Civil War

Nothing To Say

We're All Gonna Die

Speed Parade

Starlight

Promise

Watch This

Rise Today

Patience

Sweet Child O' Mine

Slither

ENCORE

By The Sword

Mr. Brownstone

Paradise City

Edited by D..

• 2 weeks later...

Great review and I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about Myles. At Birmingham and High Voltage he just seemed to be a bland frontman, no Axl or Scott that's for sure. The guy sure can sing though but as you say he doesn't live the songs. Also, don't know if this was a problem for previous dates but at the shows I went to the sound was pretty awful.

So yeah New Guns live > Slash live.