Why is Axl so reticent to release all the musical goodies in the vault?

saber_

Why is Axl so reticent to release all the goodies in the vault? As many dedicated fans know, the word on the street is there's quite a few songs hibernating under lock & key.

Why?

Why can't we hear 'em? I know Axl doesn't work for me, but I wanna fuckin hear it man! Yeah you can call me Captain Obvious.

But seriously... is it because he's a perfectionist? Is it because they're simply not done, and he's shelved them for a later time?

What say you?

Guest siliconmessiah

He´s saving them up so Slash could contribute to them in the future.

(just kidding, so think about that before you people go on a tirade...)

I have no idea. I would have loved to see continuos releases over the years.

Would have been fantastic to see a couple of albums with Finck/Bucket for example.

I think he´s simply to perfectionist. A little tinkering here, and a little tinkering there.

Listen to Chinese Democracy ten years in the working. A fantastic album, but overproduced to absurdum.

Edited by siliconmessiah

didnt he say "depends how you look at it" in regards to the songs finished state?

they could be finished but you can always add. then there's always doing a deal with someone to put it out. there must be a element of making an impact with a record.

Well I do remember him mentioning in the chats that he resented (or something akin) how people had obtained certain mixes (via bootleg, from sqwirrel or whatever) or stripped down versions of songs that would eventually end up on Chinese Democracy and subsequently those people became attached to those early versions of certain songs.

there's that also. that's more like being judge on unreleased/unfinished tracks, maybe even dealing with people liking the demo more than fiinal track when maybe they shouldnt even have heard the demo/leak.

He wont release them as Slash and former band members are on quite alot. Alot of stuff was put together during the illusions tour, and upto 97

Yeah but they wrote a bunch of new shit starting from 1999.

I think the vocals are not done....

true, But again he's got the legal problem with former members like Buckethead, ect. If they don't want it released then there isn't much Axl can do.

He wont release them as Slash and former band members are on quite alot. Alot of stuff was put together during the illusions tour, and upto 97

Yeah but they wrote a bunch of new shit starting from 1999.

I think the vocals are not done....

true, But again he's got the legal problem with former members like Buckethead, ect. If they don't want it released then there isn't much Axl can do.

Sorry but when was the legal problem with Bucket ever documented? Bucket was hired under contract to perform in the studio, which was paid for by Axl/record label. Anything Bucket recorded whilst he was employed by Guns N' Roses(minus private studios, home recordings and studio time paid by someone other than Guns) can be used on any record bearing the Guns N' Roses name. It's not like he can just say "Oh Axl, I'm not going to let you use my stuff on your next record", because he was paid to do that very objective.

could it be im not a musician that a cd quality sounding great ( sorry my English 3rd language) can be produced by an elder person. it takes a youngan t run around and scream like a banshee in concert.. Billy Joel made mention of this once in an interview. idk no one does all we can do is speculate . cheers to axl and the guys past and present that all goes well for them

Guest Len B'stard

the same reason why every artist in the fucking world worth his salt has shit in the vault. an artists body of work is his legacy, it is how he's gonna be judged and as such its probably a good idea to be choosy about what you release. I mean, some of the stuff he has released (Sympathy for the Devil) is of questionable quality anyway so it stands to reason that he, or any artist for that matter, would choose his shots.

Guest Len B'stard

Sympathy for the Devil was FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING dreadful. They just turned it into this dunderheaded metal number. It's a fucking samba for fuckssake, turn your fuckin guitars down! :lol: They just fuck up the whole dynamic of the song. Keith Richards solo is bare...minimalist but sharp, its a stinging solo, like a sorta Slim Harpo thing. The rule of thumb to doing a solo like that is that you should be able to, ideally, drop your arms to your sides for a second between each musical phrase, it's spaced out, it's all about tone, thats why its effective.

The eerie-ness of it is kinda based on the drumming, the congas give it this kinda voodoo-ey touch, Guns just fucking slaughtered it, caked it in guitar overdubs and...yeah, Guns don't really do covers well at all. The best cover i've seen em do is Jumpin Jack Flash cuz it's a straight ahead rock n roll song so they can just fuckin lay into it but they fall flat on their face everytime they try to a song that is even vaguely like...nuanced.

Axls sorta demonic voice that he puts on, seems like a kinda Alice Cooper impersonation at times, works really well on songs like Pretty Tied Up and such but it just falls flat on its face with Sympathy.

The best Guns covers though, generally, are songs that require them to just lay into the fuckin track, like I Don't Care About You or Jumping Jack Flash...they do bluesy kinda stuff really well and a lot of that had to do with the way Axl can fuckin belt out a ballad coupled with Slash and his delicious bluesy guitar work. Songs like Raw Power though, or New Rose, the songs with even the littlest like...nuance they just steamroll over and turn into this really flat metal thing.

I think most the work was done before 1999

Maybe Axl will release it when he thinks its done and still is tweaking everything

1999 interview http://home.swipnet.se/~w-52838/Aritcle_wady_991108_AxlRose.html

Rose: We've been working on, I don't know, 70 songs.

Loder: Oh!

Rose: The record will be about, anywhere from 16 to 18 songs, but we recorded at least two albums' worth of material that is solidly recorded. But we are working on a lot more songs than that at the same time... in that way, what we're doing is exploring so, you know, you get a good idea, you save it, and then maybe you come back to it later, or maybe you get a good idea and you go, "That's really cool, but that's not what we're looking for. Okay, let's try something new." You know, basically taking the advance money for the record and actually spending it on the record.

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

Sympathy for the Devil was FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING dreadful. They just turned it into this dunderheaded metal number. It's a fucking samba for fuckssake, turn your fuckin guitars down! :lol: They just fuck up the whole dynamic of the song. Keith Richards solo is bare...minimalist but sharp, its a stinging solo, like a sorta Slim Harpo thing. The rule of thumb to doing a solo like that is that you should be able to, ideally, drop your arms to your sides for a second between each musical phrase, it's spaced out, it's all about tone, thats why its effective.

The eerie-ness of it is kinda based on the drumming, the congas give it this kinda voodoo-ey touch, Guns just fucking slaughtered it, caked it in guitar overdubs and...yeah, Guns don't really do covers well at all. The best cover i've seen em do is Jumpin Jack Flash cuz it's a straight ahead rock n roll song so they can just fuckin lay into it but they fall flat on their face everytime they try to a song that is even vaguely like...nuanced.

Axls sorta demonic voice that he puts on, seems like a kinda Alice Cooper impersonation at times, works really well on songs like Pretty Tied Up and such but it just falls flat on its face with Sympathy.

The best Guns covers though, generally, are songs that require them to just lay into the fuckin track, like I Don't Care About You or Jumping Jack Flash...they do bluesy kinda stuff really well and a lot of that had to do with the way Axl can fuckin belt out a ballad coupled with Slash and his delicious bluesy guitar work. Songs like Raw Power though, or New Rose, the songs with even the littlest like...nuance they just steamroll over and turn into this really flat metal thing.

Sympathy for the Devil in my opinion is one of their best covers and here I'm really going out on a limb but, GN'R's Sympathy > The Stones Sympathy

Axl is nothing more than a perfectionist, he probably also worries about what would happen if he releases an album, it gets bad reviews, and then he remorsefully looks back on how he could've made those tracks better.

It's hard to say when we will get new material...if we get it at all.

Well I do remember him mentioning in the chats that he resented (or something akin) how people had obtained certain mixes (via bootleg, from sqwirrel or whatever) or stripped down versions of songs that would eventually end up on Chinese Democracy and subsequently those people became attached to those early versions of certain songs.

I don't really see why that is such a problem?

If people like different versions of the songs, better than not liking hte songs at all?

Even if you prefer the final album version its usually still interesting to hear the other versions which invariably will contain some parts of small twist that you like?

GN'R's Sympathy > The Stones Sympathy

For sure!

C'mon guys... hmmm.... NOPE? GnR's version's got it's charm but Stone's Sympathy's an eternal rock n' roll classic. I know you guys are saying this 'cause you're all GnR fans but it's no match to more classic GnR covers like Live and Let Die and Knockin' On Heaver's Door. These two, on the other hand, are better than their original counterparts.

Knocking on Heaven's Door studio version is one of the worst songs they've ever recorded.

I know you guys like being polemic and all but give it a rest, will ya?

Edited by It Don't Really Matter

..i bet the vault contains nothing more than works in progress. Not that there's anything wrong with that :shrugs:

One song we know is complete an Axl won't release (yet) is Silkworms. The reality is, Silkworms is a Pittman song feat. Axl on Vocals, and not Guns N'Roses in anyway.

/que the usual suspects that like nothing more than to post their pathetic cupcake images :D

Edited by star

According to Axl himself it's not because he is a perfectionist that is just something "the media and other detractors made up". Then again, nothing is ever because of Axl.

So there's no reason as far as I can see other than the material is not up to scratch or isn't "done".

Sympathy for the Devil is fucking awesome btw, I don't know what Slash was on about with that one... I guess it didn't do very well and the band had done a lot of covers already but I gotta say it's one my my favourite GNR covers. It's better than Live and Let Die, it's better than over half of TSI and IMO (you guys are going to kill me..) it's better than KOHD and Mama Kin.

I thought I was the only one that loved the Sympathy cover :shrugs:

I love it too. Better than most of their covers. And a pretty different version from the original but i love it a lot more.

It was pretty cool in the Interview with a Vampire movie too

Guest siliconmessiah

If there´s an "I´m sailing"-cover lying around.

It´s something that every GNR-fan would love.

It's a guessing game, but anyway...

my money is on: There simply isn't anything finished beond the stuff that is already released.

On the other hand, there probably is anywhere between 30-100 songs in various levels of completion. Will they ever be finished? I'd say unlikely. Will they ever be released? see the answer before and figure it out. :(

If there ever will be anything new released from this band, it will be something written by the new group, bumble+ashba as the main songwriters, axl+ashba producing.

Del norte I actuality agree with you on something. Shotgun blues is a terrible song.

Live and let die is my least favorite cover and I wish they would drop it from the live show.

Sympathy is just awful. They did a terrible job on it.

And I really wish that Axl would just do a "fan appreciation" release. A group of all the old songs that he isn't using on the next two albums. Dump the songs with finck or bucket (if they aren't going to use them).

Package it with a live dvd.

Just give the fans something like that. It would pay for itself. Fans would love it.