Why is Axl so reticent to release all the musical goodies in the vault?

saber_

I think Axl hurts still because so many thought that Chinese Democracy was bad.

I think it's come to a point where he doesn't give a shit about what anyone thinks. He's still no released CD, in my opinion, cuz he's afraid to go through everything he went through to release CD.

..there's always the studio recordings of Bucekthead, Robin, Brain covering most of the (maybe all of ?) the songs from the greatest Guns N'Roses album of all time Appetite For Destruction. I doubt they will ever get released now, as all 3 members quit the band, and I doubt Axl would wan to see ex members make any money from being a member of Guns N'Roses.

Guest siliconmessiah

Axl could just be cool, don´t give a shit, make a big fuck you to the record company and release it all as downloads.

Money is not made on selling music these days...

Edited by siliconmessiah

According to Axl himself it's not because he is a perfectionist that is just something "the media and other detractors made up". Then again, nothing is ever because of Axl.

So there's no reason as far as I can see other than the material is not up to scratch or isn't "done".

Sympathy for the Devil is fucking awesome btw, I don't know what Slash was on about with that one... I guess it didn't do very well and the band had done a lot of covers already but I gotta say it's one my my favourite GNR covers. It's better than Live and Let Die, it's better than over half of TSI and IMO (you guys are going to kill me..) it's better than KOHD and Mama Kin.

+1

Sympathy For The Devil is one of the best covers GN'R have done.

I can certainly understand Slash would be pissed about Axl dubbing Paul's guitar in without consulting him, anyone in that position would be. However the song itself sounds pretty cool with that in there, imo.

I think most the work was done before 1999

Maybe Axl will release it when he thinks its done and still is tweaking everything

1999 interview http://home.swipnet.se/~w-52838/Aritcle_wady_991108_AxlRose.html

Rose: We've been working on, I don't know, 70 songs.

Loder: Oh!

Rose: The record will be about, anywhere from 16 to 18 songs, but we recorded at least two albums' worth of material that is solidly recorded. But we are working on a lot more songs than that at the same time... in that way, what we're doing is exploring so, you know, you get a good idea, you save it, and then maybe you come back to it later, or maybe you get a good idea and you go, "That's really cool, but that's not what we're looking for. Okay, let's try something new." You know, basically taking the advance money for the record and actually spending it on the record.

Interesting interview. God, things have changed. He seems pretty chatty in the interview, now we mainly get radio silence and the odd cryptic tweet!? :question:

Edited by Precious time..

Guest gunns5

Maybe Axl will release it when he thinks its done and still is tweaking everything

Rose: The record will be about, anywhere from 16 to 18 songs, but we recorded at least two albums' worth of material that is solidly recorded. But we are working on a lot more songs than that at the same time... in that way, what we're doing is exploring so, you know, you get a good idea, you save it, and then maybe you come back to it later, or maybe you get a good idea and you go, "That's really cool, but that's not what we're looking for. Okay, let's try something new." You know, basically taking the advance money for the record and actually spending it on the record.

Interesting interview. God, things have changed. He seems pretty chatty in the interview, now we mainly get radio silence and the odd cryptic tweet!? :question:

dijon disapproves.

dijon disapproves.

I'm sure Axl has had many ideas since 1999 prob tweaking everything adding lyrics changing sounds and probably has a bunch of newer songs too I can't wait to hear whatever he has

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

Guest gunns5

dijon disapproves.

I'm sure Axl has had many ideas since 1999 prob tweaking everything adding lyrics changing sounds and probably has a bunch of newer songs too I can't wait to hear whatever he has

I heard Axl will release new songs in 2012, and to coincide the release, he"ll rename a song

"the day atlas shrugged ends"

I can feel an ITW2012 thread coming on >.<

I have no idea. I would have loved to see continuos releases over the years.

Would have been fantastic to see a couple of albums with Finck/Bucket for example.

I think he´s simply to perfectionist. A little tinkering here, and a little tinkering there.

Listen to Chinese Democracy ten years in the working. A fantastic album, but overproduced to absurdum.

I think it would be naive to believe there are no unheard songs.Artists usually have a drive to create,and I'm sure we will hear new songs when they are ready.I don't see Chidem as overproduced,I love the layers and the edge is still there on the lyrics.

In response to the OP, I think there are probably a good two albums worth of completed songs in the vault. However, keep in mind CD was more or less "completed" in various forms in 2004, 2006, and finally in 2008. However, Axl felt the need to add Ron, Frank, and other Pitman-esque noises to various songs, rerecording various solos, and tinkering with some of them for years on end until he was finally happy with it.

My guess is that although we'd deem these songs perfect, they're Axl's babies, and God only knows how far along they are in his eyes. Keep in mind in 2009 his only response to Del when asked the status of the next album was "Depends how you look at it."

Not very promising, but who knows what's happened since then.

hopefully Better, TWAT and This. I Love get videos where the cinematic quality can shine.

Shackler's and Sorry could be interesting as well.

In someways it would be cool to move on to Scraped, Sorry, Prostitute for the videos. you couldn't plan it better.

Scraped would be perfect for live band video with movie tie in. Sorry could have a 2001 type video with the band playing on the moon. Prostitute would have Axl on a Ducati driving through Toyko heading out to Mt. Fuji.

hopefully Better, TWAT and This. I Love get videos where the cinematic quality can shine.

Shackler's and Sorry could be interesting as well.

In someways it would be cool to move on to Scraped, Sorry, Prostitute for the videos. you couldn't plan it better.

Scraped would be perfect for live band video with movie tie in. Sorry could have a 2001 type video with the band playing on the moon. Prostitute would have Axl on a Ducati driving through Toyko heading out to Mt. Fuji.

Excellent,but it has to be warped and crazy in some new and unexplored way! I love scraped.