GNR / AXL ROSE INFLUENCES RAP & ROCK MUSICIANS

axlrod

Lately I've heard about JBeiber, Jay-Z/Kanye West, Tom Cruise, Jonas and now Lil Wayne.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11205/1162727-388-0.stm?cmpid=entertainment.xml

It's good to know that GNR influences other big names.

Edit:

Weezy emerged wearing low-slung floral shorts and a pastel purple shirt emblazoned with the face of erstwhile Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose. Though Lil Wayne later shed the shirt in favor of a Steelers shirt and, later, no shirt at all, the resemblance between Wayne and the stringy, manic rock singer was apparent throughout his set.

Edited by axlrod

Guest Len B'stard

Kanye's a good hip hop artist. His last album was 100000 times better than anything Jay-Z's been doing.

Kanye is absolutely dreadful fuckin soft college boy hip hop. Jay Z has lyrical skills that are second only to the likes of Eminem, Biggie Smalls, Rakim etc. Even a superficial comparison between Kanye and Jay don't hold any water. Reasonable Doubt alone is better than all of Kanyes recorded output. No one but no one has a flow like Jay's except Biggie Smalls.

Kanye's a good hip hop artist. His last album was 100000 times better than anything Jay-Z's been doing.

Kanye is absolutely dreadful fuckin soft college boy hip hop. Jay Z has lyrical skills that are second only to the likes of Eminem, Biggie Smalls, Rakim etc. Even a superficial comparison between Kanye and Jay don't hold any water. Reasonable Doubt alone is better than all of Kanyes recorded output. No one but no one has a flow like Jay's except Biggie Smalls.

You can say what you want, in my opinion, everything Jay-Z has put out since The Black Album has been backfire compared to his early works. The Blueprint III is based on three made-for-radio hits, in which two of those he tries to fill the gap of originality with full chorus and rhythm sampling of songs today's generation don't have knowledge of. Kanye's latest Dark Fantasy shows a whole different level of artistic exploration, going beyond the same old same the other hip hop artists live by. Listen to songs like Runaway, Power, Devil in a New Dress and So Appalled. These songs aren't the everyday "I got the money and I got the hoes, I'm a pimp-ass gangster that likes to sniff coke" bullshit. His lyrical content question aspects of society such as racism, materialism, lack of confidence and media opportunism. His previous efforts can't even stand a chance against My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Jay's latest hits have all been mediocre, expect for D.O.A.... Run This Town, Empire State Of Mind, Young Forever, are all songs that count on the guest artist to appeal to the mass.

It's all a matter of musical taste. The difference between Kanye's latest work and Jay's latest work can be compared to Slash's vs nuGnR. One stick to the foolproof formula the fans love, and that has never disappointed, getting all he can from guest artists and publicity, the other is a sociopathic ego-trip maniac who's crazy artistic mind takes him to a a whole different experience, that may or may not please the fans, the critics, the media, but he doesn't give shit.

Guest Len B'stard
You can say what you want, in my opinion, everything Jay-Z has put out since The Black Album has been backfire compared to his early works.

You could say that about anybody with a classic debut though, look at GnR. Whatever you may or may not feel about Blueprint its considered a classic of it time. Of course his stuff ain't as good as his early work, his early work was Reasonable Doubt, which should figure in anyones top 20 of best hip hop albums ever.

These songs aren't the everyday "I got the money and I got the hoes, I'm a pimp-ass gangster that likes to sniff coke" bullshit.

Coke ain't really a hip hop drug man. Besides, i like the i got money i got hoes i'm a pimp ass gangster stuff :lol:

His lyrical content question aspects of society such as racism, materialism, lack of confidence and media opportunism.

I think its obvious, ham-fisted and vaguely patronising.

The difference between Kanye's latest work and Jay's latest work can be compared to Slash's vs nuGnR. One stick to the foolproof formula the fans love, and that has never disappointed, getting all he can from guest artists and publicity, the other is a sociopathic ego-trip maniac who's crazy artistic mind takes him to a a whole different experience, that may or may not please the fans, the critics, the media, but he doesn't give shit.

Firstly, i think both Guns and Slash have gone the stick to the formula route. With all due respect you must be terribly musically naive if you think Chi Dem is some kind of exploratory pushing the boundaries type album cuz it's not, it's just a condensed version of what was on Illusions, rockers, stompers a ballad or two and thats about it, i dunno where you see some kind of crazy artistic maniac offering an entire different expierience here, we are talking about Axl Rose right, not fuckin Sun Ra.

And as far as Kanye and Jay, i think me and you just look for different things out of hip hop. My appreciation of it extends to a bangin' beat, minimal production preferrably and lyricism, lyricism above all. THAT is what i love, lyricism. Quite frankly, i don't give a thrupenny fuck about what the artist is saying, there ain't nothing some bloke in a band can tell me about the world, i find all that social concious issue-fied shit quite tiresome, especially coming from people like Kanye who don't really have any fresh perspective on that sort of thing in the way say someone like Bob Dylan or whatever did. So yeah, to me it's lyricism, it's rhyme schemes, it's snappy punchlines, thats what i look for in hip hop, and rhythmic rhyming if that makes sense, rhyming that follows a particular melody i.e. instead of rhyming just the last word of each line you have like, as i said earlier, like biggie did, there's actually meter to it, like a proper poem, that kind of thing to me is what pulls me towards hip hop in this day and age. Try counting the rhymes per bar on something by Jay and Biggie compared to other rappers, its really quite incredible, like a verbal tapestry.

And i just do not think Kanye is at all forward moving or fresh or different or world changing, i don't think he's this kind of advancing artist and it's symptomatic of this disease in popular music today that you have these sort of dillentante artists like Kanye and Lady Gaga that are signed by major record companys to like...diversify and satisfy the "proggressive music" itch that some demographic has.

If anything, it's just even more insulting, this is what i meant by music for college boys, it's just bullshit man, it's like "oh, i see what Kanyes trying to do thereee and hmmm, thats different", it's just a load of rubbish and, to a degree quite insulting. Hip Hop is the music of the street, it's urban music, so then for a bunch of suburbanites and fuckin...y'know, Johnny-come-lately college boys to wade in with their "it's forward moving and thinking and at least its not about gangstaz pimps and hoes" it's like fuck you, who invited you to this party in this first place?!?! Y'know...i hate this idea of watering down hip hop (which has pretty much happened now anyway) to the point where you got people criticising it for the gangstaz pimps and goes aspect and trying to turn it into some UCLA thing, fuck that.

As far as social signifiance, no form of music after the blues can claim to have as much social significance and be as much a reflection of society through music than Gangsta Rap. Thats the whole thing with Gangsta Rap, it was reflecting a part of society, a part of the demographic that the powers that be, him in charge, THE MAN if you like chose to ignore....so they stuck it under his nose and let em smell the shit they've shat. This is what i mean about this counter-intelligent college boy mentality that looks down on artists that do Gangsta Rap and big up the Kanyes and *shudders* Outkasts of this world cuz they either think they're forward moving or engaging in deep profound social commentary or both when there's a less cerebral but more authentic version of the very same things happening within the bounds of the genre they criticise (gangsta rap).

I think Kanye is dreadful...Warner Bros Hip Hop...just absolute tripe masquerading as forward moving and intelligent music when its actually quite dull and ordinary. In this space age fuckin day, where information is only a click away and you don't have to try to find anything out, this is where artists like Kanye and Lady Gaga thrive because you're presented with like, 8 or 9 sterile major record label options and it's like, OK, you got your bouncy sexy pop music, right, Kesha, Britney, you got your rock n roll guitar based music, Nickelback, The Foo Fighters, you got your quirky intelligent artists, GAGA and KANYE!!!

It's all compartmentalised safe coffee table dogshit and all Kanye is is an attempt at a slightly elevated version of one of those compartments.

This music that came from the streets, reflected the streets, came up on its own back, with no fuckin help from no one, certainly not from major record labels and the establishment, hip hop has been around since the 70s, it only really went psycho-mainstream in 1999...there was no hand out for hip hop, it had to fight all the way to get it's dues. And now it's got there you think that anybody has any right to impose their ideas and values on it? "No no, you gotta do this, you gotta be forward moving and..." ugh. Talk about talking down to a person.

I ain't having that.

Edited by sugaraylen

You can say what you want, in my opinion, everything Jay-Z has put out since The Black Album has been backfire compared to his early works.

You could say that about anybody with a classic debut though, look at GnR. Whatever you may or may not feel about Blueprint its considered a classic of it time. Of course his stuff ain't as good as his early work, his early work was Reasonable Doubt, which should figure in anyones top 20 of best hip hop albums ever.

These songs aren't the everyday "I got the money and I got the hoes, I'm a pimp-ass gangster that likes to sniff coke" bullshit.

Coke ain't really a hip hop drug man. Besides, i like the i got money i got hoes i'm a pimp ass gangster stuff :lol:

His lyrical content question aspects of society such as racism, materialism, lack of confidence and media opportunism.

I think its obvious, ham-fisted and vaguely patronising.

The difference between Kanye's latest work and Jay's latest work can be compared to Slash's vs nuGnR. One stick to the foolproof formula the fans love, and that has never disappointed, getting all he can from guest artists and publicity, the other is a sociopathic ego-trip maniac who's crazy artistic mind takes him to a a whole different experience, that may or may not please the fans, the critics, the media, but he doesn't give shit.

Firstly, i think both Guns and Slash have gone the stick to the formula route. With all due respect you must be terribly musically naive if you think Chi Dem is some kind of exploratory pushing the boundaries type album cuz it's not, it's just a condensed version of what was on Illusions, rockers, stompers a ballad or two and thats about it, i dunno where you see some kind of crazy artistic maniac offering an entire different expierience here, we are talking about Axl Rose right, not fuckin Sun Ra.

And as far as Kanye and Jay, i think me and you just look for different things out of hip hop. My appreciation of it extends to a bangin' beat, minimal production preferrably and lyricism, lyricism above all. THAT is what i love, lyricism. Quite frankly, i don't give a thrupenny fuck about what the artist is saying, there ain't nothing some bloke in a band can tell me about the world, i find all that social concious issue-fied shit quite tiresome, especially coming from people like Kanye who don't really have any fresh perspective on that sort of thing in the way say someone like Bob Dylan or whatever did. So yeah, to me it's lyricism, it's rhyme schemes, it's snappy punchlines, thats what i look for in hip hop, and rhythmic rhyming if that makes sense, rhyming that follows a particular melody i.e. instead of rhyming just the last word of each line you have like, as i said earlier, like biggie did, there's actually meter to it, like a proper poem, that kind of thing to me is what pulls me towards hip hop in this day and age. Try counting the rhymes per bar on something by Jay and Biggie compared to other rappers, its really quite incredible, like a verbal tapestry.

And i just do not think Kanye is at all forward moving or fresh or different or world changing, i don't think he's this kind of advancing artist and it's symptomatic of this disease in popular music today that you have these sort of dillentante artists like Kanye and Lady Gaga that are signed by major record companys to like...diversify and satisfy the "proggressive music" itch that some demographic has.

If anything, it's just even more insulting, this is what i meant by music for college boys, it's just bullshit man, it's like "oh, i see what Kanyes trying to do thereee and hmmm, thats different", it's just a load of rubbish and, to a degree quite insulting. Hip Hop is the music of the street, it's urban music, so then for a bunch of suburbanites and fuckin...y'know, Johnny-come-lately college boys to wade in with their "it's forward moving and thinking and at least its not about gangstaz pimps and hoes" it's like fuck you, who invited you to this party in this first place?!?! Y'know...i hate this idea of watering down hip hop (which has pretty much happened now anyway) to the point where you got people criticising it for the gangstaz pimps and goes aspect and trying to turn it into some UCLA thing, fuck that.

As far as social signifiance, no form of music after the blues can claim to have as much social significance and be as much a reflection of society through music than Gangsta Rap. Thats the whole thing with Gangsta Rap, it was reflecting a part of society, a part of the demographic that the powers that be, him in charge, THE MAN if you like chose to ignore....so they stuck it under his nose and let em smell the shit they've shat. This is what i mean about this counter-intelligent college boy mentality that looks down on artists that do Gangsta Rap and big up the Kanyes and *shudders* Outkasts of this world cuz they either think they're forward moving or engaging in deep profound social commentary or both when there's a less cerebral but more authentic version of the very same things happening within the bounds of the genre they criticise (gangsta rap).

I think Kanye is dreadful...Warner Bros Hip Hop...just absolute tripe masquerading as forward moving and intelligent music when its actually quite dull and ordinary. In this space age fuckin day, where information is only a click away and you don't have to try to find anything out, this is where artists like Kanye and Lady Gaga thrive because you're presented with like, 8 or 9 sterile major record label options and it's like, OK, you got your bouncy sexy pop music, right, Kesha, Britney, you got your rock n roll guitar based music, Nickelback, The Foo Fighters, you got your quirky intelligent artists, GAGA and KANYE!!!

It's all compartmentalised safe coffee table dogshit and all Kanye is is an attempt at a slightly elevated version of one of those compartments.

This music that came from the streets, reflected the streets, came up on its own back, with no fuckin help from no one, certainly not from major record labels and the establishment, hip hop has been around since the 70s, it only really went psycho-mainstream in 1999...there was no hand out for hip hop, it had to fight all the way to get it's dues. And now it's got there you think that anybody has any right to impose their ideas and values on it? "No no, you gotta do this, you gotta be forward moving and..." ugh. Talk about talking down to a person.

I ain't having that.

Chiiiiilllll duuuuuddeeeee hahaha, you got your taste I got mine, I respect yours, I just got mad when you said you can't compare Kanye to Jay-Z even superficially. To me, it's the other way around, but it's all a matter of taste. I shouldn't have compared them to Slash n' Axl, it's to controversial to do that here, like letting shit hit the fan hahaha