Is it critical that CD II has a hit song?

ITW 2012

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For it to be considered a great success and launch GnR back into the limelight? Yes.

For anything else, nah.

That should be the goal. If he just wants to trade off the past he'd be better off reuniting the original band and making a whole pile of money off a reunion tour.

Edited by ITW 2012

For it to be considered a great success and launch GnR back into the limelight? Yes.

For anything else, nah.

That should be the goal. If he just wants to trade off the past he'd be better off reuniting the original band and making a whole pile of money off a reunion tour.

I am surprised he's making $ off the use of "Live and Let Die" for that new Simon Cowell show's tv commercials

I'd say yes and I'm of the opinion that that's one of the reasons why he hired Ashba, I'm sure he and Ashba could pen a huge hit. That being said it doesn't really bother me if they do or don't release a hit song that would get tons of radio play but it would be great to see GN'R back on top and not getting overly criticized all the time. I always wondered why the ballads off CD weren't radio hits seeing as how mainstream radio stations play the hell out of November Rain.

Edited by LesPaul_Player_91

Guest Len B'stard

Nah. They don't need to be popular outside of the hardcore fanbase really, they're going to make a shit load of people happy with whatever they release, it will still be meaningful even if the singles don't chart.

Yeah, what Sweetness said. I think you get to a certain point as a band where like...if Queen were around today or like, y'know, when The Stones make an album, it's gonna sell a certain fuckin amount no matter what. Paul McCartney you can put in that category too.

Nah. They don't need to be popular outside of the hardcore fanbase really, they're going to make a shit load of people happy with whatever they release, it will still be meaningful even if the singles don't chart.

Yeah, what Sweetness said. I think you get to a certain point as a band where like...if Queen were around today or like, y'know, when The Stones make an album, it's gonna sell a certain fuckin amount no matter what. Paul McCartney you can put in that category too.

This isn't old GNR though. The next album could completely tank if it doesn't have some hit songs. I'm just worried that the next album will tank and North American promoters won't have any interest in taking the risk of backing a New GNR arena tour.

GNR could put out a badass, epic, tune...But without propper promotion and the support of the label it probably won't fare that well on modern rock charts.

Hell, Better is an amazing rock track, but as we saw without the support of the industry, lack of a video, Axl, etc. it became just an obscure single. Same would happen with an awesome track from CD2 if it was simply put out on the radio.

These days, and very unfortunatly, it takes a lot more than a song simply being "awesome" for it to do well on a commercial level.

GNR could put out a badass, epic, tune...But without propper promotion and the support of the label it probably won't fare that well on modern rock charts.

Hell, Better is an amazing rock track, but as we saw without the support of the industry, lack of a video, Axl, etc. it became just an obscure single. Same would happen with an awesome track from CD2 if it was simply put out on the radio.

These days, and very unfortunatly, it takes a lot more than a song simply being "awesome" for it to do well on a commercial level.

It was like that before too. Jungle did not succeed initially, and that had a video, band promo etc.

It was like that before too. Jungle did not succeed initially, and that had a video, band promo etc.

Yeah, it all comes down to the label backing whatever they're trying to sell to the masses these days. My guess is that any promotion for CD2 would be minimal, and that Axl would have to do a good deal of marketing himself. I doubt he's willing to do that.

That's also why I'd love to see a late-fall release coincide with the U.S. tour. Can you imagine a States tour, new album, & video all happening in the same 3 month time span? Pretty unreal right?

That said, if GNR fans had a dime for every time a great opportunity came and went we'd all be millionaires by now.

This isn't old GNR though. The next album could completely tank if it doesn't have some hit songs. I'm just worried that the next album will tank and North American promoters won't have any interest in taking the risk of backing a New GNR arena tour.

It won't tank. It may not be old GNR but just by the fact its under the same moniker will get it guaranteed attention from the media and critics. No matter what the reviews are people who give a shit are going to give the album a shot, if the music is any good it will resonate just anything else. This is a different age than old GNR, you don't need to dominate the charts to be relevant anymore, the internet has blown the music world wide open.

The notion that you need a hit or hits to launch a successful tour is completely false. How do you explain bands like Dave Matthews, Phish, Muse, and Radiohead. Neither of these bands have had top ten hits in years, if ever, and still have an enormous draw whenever they tour.

Guns N' Roses has a deep enough catalogue to tour for years on end. People do not look to GNR for relevant new music anymore, that was 20 years ago. Axl is free to do whatever he wants, and I think he's a brilliant song writer and performer. But the pop world at large is not waiting with baited breath for a re-emergence of Axl and the current version of Guns N' Roses. I'm a fan of the new band and am happy with the production they've given fans since 2002, but if GNR is to ever be considered in the same league as U2, the Rolling Stones, and AC/DC, Axl would have to reunite with the original members. It could be done, but the parties involve all choose not to (with the exception of Adler).

If no one in the original band seems to care about the former glory of Guns N' Roses, I'm not sure why anyone here should either. Just enjoy whatever comes our way.

Cheers,

Andrew

To be respected as their own band, and not a band that just relies on the classic tunes to stay relevant, then yeah, id say so.

Agreed. Axl hates being compared to the old lineup(s), but releasing 1 unpromoted album in 20 years while touring sporadically throughout that time with a revolving door of guitarists doesn't exactly help that cause.

Even so, the masses have a short memory and everyone loves a comeback. I really believe that if they release the next album promptly, and throw in some real promotion this time around, I'm sure all will be forgiven.

Edited by sofine11

the question is: why not hit songs from new gnr?

me and a lot of people want it.

My bet (unfortunately) is we'll have potencial hits like Better and TWAT that due to lack of promotion and publicity, won't get to shine as hits.

Even if the better video had been released, wasn't it just clips of the band from previous tours? Didn't really seem like it was carrying much of a "wow" factor anyways.

Most people I know don't care about music videos anymore. If it's on the radio, and it catches enough ears, that's really how you get a hit nowadays. From what I've noticed, the popularity of music videos seemed to have died with trl. I can't remember the last time I heard somebody say, "have you seen so and sos new music video??"

You don't know what is/was on the Better video,so how can you say it lacks a wow factor? We used to have an actual MTV that played vids,we also had headbangers ball!

Personally I do not care what your "friends" think,or if they think it all.

Most of the stations in the US are owned by clearchannel,except some of the indy stations usually found on college campuses. BoBo stop giving into peer pressure and listen to what you want.it may not be popular or on the charts,but its all about music I can relate to.

Regardless of critics,journalist's slant,or charts. I can name an entire catalogue of obscure music that I listen to and play on a daily basis.

If GNR has a hit single,I hope it leafblows all the current music straight to hell.

Edited by sailaway