Is it critical that CD II has a hit song?

ITW 2012

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if the better video had been released, wasn't it just clips of the band from previous tours? Didn't really seem like it was carrying much of a "wow" factor anyways.

Most people I know don't care about music videos anymore. If it's on the radio, and it catches enough ears, that's really how you get a hit nowadays. From what I've noticed, the popularity of music videos seemed to have died with trl. I can't remember the last time I heard somebody say, "have you seen so and sos new music video??"

You don't know what is/was on the Better video,so how can you say it lacks a wow factor? We used to have an actual MTV that played vids,we also had headbangers ball!

Personally I do not care what your "friends" think,or if they think it all.

I

Most of the stations in the US are owned by clearchannel,except some of the indy stations usually found on college campuses. BoBo stop giving into peer pressure and listen to what you want.it may not be popular or on the charts,but its all about music I can relate to.

Regardless of critics,journalist's slant,or charts. I can name an entire catalogue of obscure music that I listen to and play on a daily basis.

If GNR has a hit single,I hope it leafblows all the current music straight to hell.

lol, what? That's not what he meant at all. You're taking what he said and putting a negative spin on it simply because you don't like the guy.

What are you his fingerpuppet? If he needs you to interpret his posts,what we have here is lack of communication.

To be respected as their own band, and not a band that just relies on the classic tunes to stay relevant, then yeah, id say so.

I think that's where u are wrong. The rest of the rock fan base world isn't obsessed with respect and legacy of the old band like a group of you are on this forum.

99% of people that go see the new band on tour aren't sitting in the crowd during scom getting pissed off because it is disrespectful to Slash and Duff and Izzy. We just want to hear musicians play music. Sure we would love to see the old band playing the old songs, but that's not happening. We can cry about it for 20 years or we can move on and make the best of it.

Personally I enjoy watching musicians takes on songs. And watching the new band play scom takes nothing away from how brilliant the old band was.

Yes Bobbo. We are all looking forward to seeing what new songs the new band can create. And new music is the only way that Axl and Co. Can help grow the "GnR legacy" that u and a couple others are so obsessed with.

But don't kid yourself. Most people aren't obsessed with the respect and legacy thing like you and a couple others are. In fact, duff and Izzy actually joined the new band onstage. To duff and Izzy its ALL about rock and roll. To you its about legacy and respect. See the difference?

Fans DO care about who's on stage. MOST fans don't agree with the band continuing to use the name. Most just accept it cause its the best we're gonna get with axl. Where were you when I wrote my post in the "hostility of the name" thread? Read that post. Last post on page 7. I'm not responding to this again just for you to run off to another thread to post the same thing.

Most fans,have you taken a survey? Don't speak for me until you are capable of coherent speech.You admitted that you never saw the AFD lineup except on Utube.I'm hoping for the best with GNR,and made plans to see them this year.

To be respected as their own band, and not a band that just relies on the classic tunes to stay relevant, then yeah, id say so.

I think that's where u are wrong. The rest of the rock fan base world isn't obsessed with respect and legacy of the old band like a group of you are on this forum.

99% of people that go see the new band on tour aren't sitting in the crowd during scom getting pissed off because it is disrespectful to Slash and Duff and Izzy. We just want to hear musicians play music. Sure we would love to see the old band playing the old songs, but that's not happening. We can cry about it for 20 years or we can move on and make the best of it.

Personally I enjoy watching musicians takes on songs. And watching the new band play scom takes nothing away from how brilliant the old band was.

Yes Bobbo. We are all lookingi forward to seeing what new songs the new band can create. And new music is the only way that Axl and Co. Can help grow the "GnR legacy" that u and a couple others are so obsessed with.

But don't kid yourself. Most people aren't obsessed with the respect and legacy thing like you and a couple others are. In fact, duff and Izzy actually joined the new band onstage. To duff and Izzy its ALL about rock and roll. To you its about legacy and respect. See the difference?

Nice post,agree completely. :thumbsup:

Fans DO care about who's on stage. MOST fans don't agree with the band continuing to use the name. Most just accept it cause its the best we're gonna get with axl. Where were you when I wrote my post in the "hostility of the name" thread? Read that post. Last post on page 7. I'm not responding to this again just for you to run off to another thread to post the same thing.

Most fans,have you taken a survey? Don't speak for me until you are capable of coherent speech.You admitted that you never saw the AFD lineup except on Utube.I'm hoping for the best with GNR,and made plans to see them this year.

Its kinda common knowledge that longtime fans of gnr are overall unhappy with what's been going on with the band post 1994. Ask around. Read a few articles. You actually think I'm in the minority? Lmfao!

O

And as for not seeing the band in the past, I'm only 21 now, I was three the last time the classic lineup took the stage. Seeing them in the past wasn't really an option for me. As for seeing them now, I don't really have a money tree growing in my backyard to fly out to south fuckin america. And there's a ton of cover bands around my area just like them.

Good,don't go you won't be missed! Don't really care about majority rules bullshit,that is one whacked theory. GNR is selling out stadiums,not my fault you have lack of income.Have you ever in all of your 21 years been to.a GNR gig?

Hits don't mean shit. Estranged was the first single to completely bomb from the Illusions, and today it's revered as the most powerful & classic song from those albums, which that recent poll proved.

Better & TWAT are both amazing songs, hits be damned, and if the next album has similar songs I'll be happy and Axl & GNR will have done their jobs in my eyes.

Hits don't mean shit. Estranged was the first single to completely bomb from the Illusions, and today it's revered as the most powerful & classic song from those albums, which that recent poll proved.

Better & TWAT are both amazing songs, hits be damned, and if the next album has similar songs I'll be happy and Axl & GNR will have done their jobs in my eyes.

Agreed! Critics,cynics and people that talk smack about GNR just don't get it.

Get what? I like CD, but it's a tad disappointing to only have one album after all these years.

I think some people got used to the boredom shit that is to be a GNR fan after waiting so long for an album and that's why they don't get why people are complaining.

In the end it's up to Mr. Rose to release music. I'm sure we'll get news at Rock In Rio or if that's not the case i'm sure there will be people "sailing away" :tongue2:

Get what? I like CD, but it's a tad disappointing to only have one album after all these years.

I've been into GNR for over 20 years,had each album,every tshirt and boot that has come down the chute.

Good things are worth waiting for,I have nothing but time.

The fact Better wasn't a hit means they will never have a hit..

Ain't exactly a bad thing tbh

Better wasn't really given a chance. It got very little airplay and a video never surfaced.

Agreed but Axl's not going to change, make a video do all the promo etc..

GNR's hit days are over...

I'd love to be proven wrong though...Axl

Better wasn't really given a chance. It got very little airplay and a video never surfaced.

It likely would have been a hit if it were the first single. People were curious and CD got a lot of airplay. If Better had gotten that sort of airplay it may have been a different story for the album.

Edited by ITW 2012

It likely would have been a hit if it were the first single. People were curious and CD got a lot of airplay. If Better had gotten that sort of airplay it may have been a different story for the album.

Yeah, possibly..

Better has a stadium status hook that grabs everyone's ear, anyone I play that song for instantly likes it..

That said, I think the album was doomed (in the US at least) from the word go..Better or no Better

The Best Buy deal, unfair lukewarm reviews, Axl bashing. Maybe Axl knew the album was beyond saving

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Axl resisted promoting “Chinese Democracy” as a result of a spat with the marketing executives (over their plans for promoting the album).

Axl needs to realize he is the key to a GN’R album “getting over” as such (Best Buy can air an infinite number of advertisements and decorate New York City with banners galore but it won’t have the same effect as Axl appearing on a chat show or participating in an exclusive with the likes of Piers Morgan).

Axl is capable of making his albums sell because he is an intriguing character (that is a quality he should embrace and exploit to advantage GN’R’s output).

Axl resisted promoting “Chinese Democracy” as a result of a spat with the marketing executives (over their plans for promoting the album).

Axl needs to realize he is the key to a GN’R album “getting over” as such (Best Buy can air an infinite number of advertisements and decorate New York City with banners galore but it won’t have the same effect as Axl appearing on a chat show or participating in an exclusive with the likes of Piers Morgan).

Axl is capable of making his albums sell because he is an intriguing character (that is a quality he should embrace and exploit to advantage GN’R’s output).

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda..

Story of Axl's life, it's never gonna change..

But hey, that's why we love him

u

Yeah, possibly..

Better has a stadium status hook that grabs everyone's ear, anyone I play that song for instantly likes it..

That said, I think the album was doomed (in the US at least) from the word go..Better or no Better

The Best Buy deal, unfair lukewarm reviews, Axl bashing. Maybe Axl knew the album was beyond saving

good post! I think there was a lot of undercover chicanery from both mgmt as well as UMG.think about the post-release reaction.