Ashba: I think the difference is to be mature in what you do and the choices you make.

auad

That was a cool interview. Nice to know that he's religious. And a bit surprising. But cool that he appreciates what he has. And he has an original style. His solos on Sixx AM are pretty different from the usual rock-crap.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, Evil Ernie you're not supposed to say that! Of course, all non-religious people laugh and don't respect the religious, but don't come out and say it man! They'll smite us!

:lol: @ your response,but religion is the opiate of the masses,you can have faith and be spiritual without organized religion,The pharisees were the organized church back in the day and they opposed The prophet who Hung around with thieves and whores,not being controversial its biblical.

I don't like Muse,and I wasn't really into Motley but so far Ashba seems to fit in rather well. :)

I personally think that Ashba was a pretty good choice to recruit after Bucket I think hes probably the second best NewGNR guitarist. His solo stuff and Sixx A.M. have all been pretty good. And from the Live stuff I've seen he definitely is a showman who can play the material great. I have nothing against him, hes better than Bumblefoot and Finick, but not as gimmicky as Buckethead (Even though I do love that he is like that, sometimes Bucket just takes it a step or two too far.) As for Ashba's comments, he seems to have caused quite a disturbance here in the forums.

I loved Robin Finck, i really didn't want him to leave, this was amazing:

I LOVE how that guitar sounds..

Yeah, he and Buckethead were awesome on stage.

Yeah, people say he was sloppy and all that but quite frankly, to me, if you ain't got that loose sloppy aspect to it you're that bit less rock n roll. Not that everyone has to be rock n roll but i feel in the context of a rock n roll band, being at least slightly rock n roll is key :unsure:

Exactly man. At first I hated Fink, but after hearing the 2006 boots over and over again I have warmed up to his playing. Like another poster said, Jimmy Page is considered sloppy, but it works within the context of Zeppelin's music. Sloppy isn't neccesarily 'playing bad' I consider it a style rather than a negative attribute. Of course there is a thing as being so sloppy that the playing sounds like shit but with Page, and even Slash that type of playing perfectly compliments the sleazy in your face rock n' roll :)

Dj ashbas miles better than finck. And he can cover the classic material well. But still, the guys a generic wanker. Nothing about him is original, from his style to his own material. As for copying slash specifically, that's just a matter of opinion. But if you like your rock n roll done by the book, and you admire artists that butt fuck hot topic, dj ashbas your shining star!

Please leave your "butt fucking"and "wanking" fixation out of the discussion,its not necessary.

Ashba is in GNRs,some of us are good with that. They don't talk and you complain,they talk and you still complain. :rolleyes:

I'm talking about one part of the interview, where he clearly, and quite obviously to a lot of people contradicts himself. Relax mr. Rogers. Didn't mean to give you an upset stomach.

I have a mouth like a sailor,you didn't upset my stomach BoBo. It wasn't fucking necessary.:monkey:

My opinion is just as necessary as yours. You can constantly bash and disrespect a former guitarist, but I can't criticize a a current one? Can't have it both ways.

I think your comment went a lot further than criticism.It seems to be a no win situation when it comes to wanting communication and interviews from the band. You want more info and communication but you want them to say things that you deem appropriate?

You can't have it both ways :xmassrudolph:

I personally think that Ashba was a pretty good choice to recruit after Bucket I think hes probably the second best NewGNR guitarist. His solo stuff and Sixx A.M. have all been pretty good. And from the Live stuff I've seen he definitely is a showman who can play the material great. I have nothing against him, hes better than Bumblefoot and Finick, but not as gimmicky as Buckethead (Even though I do love that he is like that, sometimes Bucket just takes it a step or two too far.) As for Ashba's comments, he seems to have caused quite a disturbance here in the forums.

How is he better than Bumblefoot? Bumblefoot is more skilled than DJ.

Oh wait, I get it! When a member of GN'R is using the GN'R name to promote himself it's bad and when he doesn't he's getting blame?

I had the chance to spend time with DJ after a few shows and he's really a great guy! He take the time to meet every fans and he's really easy going. He doesn't act

like a superstar but like a guy who really like what he's doing!

Guest Len B'stard

Finck was THE guitar player on the 2006 tour.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=robin+finck+2006&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1024&bih=548&tbm=isch&tbnid=miv57dmvFaCuyM:&imgrefurl=http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/99791823/&docid=WKIxITYadwYpnM&w=700&h=699&ei=-XBOToP2A4f3mAWbxKDuBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=334&vpy=203&dur=1657&hovh=161&hovw=161&tx=97&ty=105&page=2&tbnh=109&tbnw=114&start=18&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:18

Hopefully that link works... my work blocks it but it should work for you guys. This guy looks like a star, way more than anyone else in guns since the old days. He wrote Better, the solo in SOD, good bits of TWAT. How can you guys hate on him? Oh, he messed up the Sweet Child solo a bit live for the 10000th time they played it? Who cares man, for nu guns I want nu music. He wasn't generic at all, he wasn't playing with other old timer rock acts, he had an interesting persona. I'll go down swinging defending that guy.

As far as I've seen, there is nothing at all I like about Ashba he just furthers that this is a nostalgia act with his cliched playing and playing with the guys from Motley Crue. Lame lame lame.

Also it's pretty clear no one cares he's in guns and apparently nothing is happening in guns or he would be a lot more eager to talk about it. This is just my opinion, but I think the current relationship of guns is as follows: Axl is in his own world and doesn't hardly leave his house, barely calls or talks to the other members hasn't been in the studio in probably a full year, the other guys are in various parts of the USA doing whatever they want unrelated to GNR. Ashba is, or was, excited to be in GNR so he's writing riffs and the like. I'd say best case scenario is a few of the members who aren't Axl jam occasionally and write songs.

Also, visually, they looked fuckin brilliant. They just looked like a big group of wrong 'un's and weirdoes, it was great, you had crazy goth finck, just plain crazy buckethead, axl lookin like some kind of Cyber Punk in a football jersey, Brain being like a fucking drumming textbook and that almost Reni-esque thing he had going on, Pitman being on some other fuckin planet altogether and Tommy the punk, they were just so fucking weird and diverse and it was like...y'know, all these people at the time were moaning about how they don't look like the kick ass rock n roll band of their (and my :lol:) teenage ejaculations but the point is they weren't anymore anyway, they weren't even really making that kind of music.

It was just brilliant, they were totally totally unquantifiable and i think the music would've reflected that had they been able to move the thing along. They've since receeded into looking like a sort of...bunch of like...y'know, rock n roll stereotypes. Shame. Still, it's the music that counts i suppose. But we ain't had none of that sooo..

Guest siliconmessiah

Other than that he is spot on and plays all material new and old like he wrote it!

But he didn´t!

Actually. That generic guitarist is still only playing covers and doing interviews where he talks about that other band that he´s in.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Other than that he is spot on and plays all material new and old like he wrote it!

But he didn´t!

Actually. That generic guitarist is still only playing covers and doing interviews where he talks about that other band that he´s in.

So if you were a guitar player with some success.....six am and bc were about as successful as VR and slashs solo album.....and Axl Rose called you up, what would you do????

DJ is living his dream. Why does that piss you off? He is playing with a singer that we all love and he is getting to play songs that he grew up listening to and that influenced his music career.

Slash plays with anybody and everybody because he "loves" music.....but DJ is judged differently? Both guys are doing what they love to do. Why that pisses people off? I will never understand some "fans."

Guest siliconmessiah

So if you were a guitar player with some success.....six am and bc were about as successful as VR and slashs solo album.....and Axl Rose called you up, what would you do????

Interesting question.

First off, I would think twice about bringing my top hat.

I would certainly skip that emo-look.

Hmmm...I´m thinking of other stuff I would do.

But maybe. That is Axl´s plan, to make GNR into a nostalgia show, where the casual fans think that DJ Ashba is Slash? While the hardcore fans is left wondering whatever happened to the legacy of GNR.

Their names sound alike, they both have top hats, they play the same songs. Well...there ya got it boy.

We´ll see what happens with everything this October.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Interesting question.

But maybe. That is Axl´s plan, to make GNR into a nostalgia show, where the casual fans think that DJ Ashba is Slash? While the hardcore fans is left wondering whatever happened to the legacy of GNR.

Their names sound alike, they both have top hats, they play the same songs. Well...there ya got it boy.

slash does not have a copyright on wearing a top hat,he wasn't the first and won't be the last.If you honestly have trouble telling slash and ashba apart you need more help than is provided online.

Actually going back through some more footage of the band and comparing it, I take back anything bad I said about Bumblefoot, he's definitely got a better overall style than Ashba. Plus his solo career kills anything Ashba has did. Really Ashba can play the part, but some of the stuff live isn't as good as it should be, but certain songs Ashba just does great, however Bumblefoot has a more consistant style (and for that matter should play more of the solos) Ashba has potential, and I'm sure we'll have to accept him as I don't see him leaving anytime soon. It remains to be seen how well he'll handle the new studio material.

Actually going back through some more footage of the band and comparing it, I take back anything bad I said about Bumblefoot, he's definitely got a better overall style than Ashba. Plus his solo career kills anything Ashba has did. Really Ashba can play the part, but some of the stuff live isn't as good as it should be, but certain songs Ashba just does great, however Bumblefoot has a more consistant style (and for that matter should play more of the solos) Ashba has potential, and I'm sure we'll have to accept him as I don't see him leaving anytime soon. It remains to be seen how well he'll handle the new studio material.

Good boy. You should check out November Rain Live at Reading 2010. Richard did the first solo, DJ did the second and Bumblefoot blew them away with the final solo. Rich need to do more guitar solos.

Guest siliconmessiah

It doesn't matter that lots of people wear top hats, the famous ex guitar player from theband was famous for his top hat. I would strongly agree that there's people in the audience that just assume he's the same guy as the couple pictures they've seen of the band, all of which of course would be old band since there are barely any pictures of the new band.

To be honest. I think that Ashba will skip his headwear for the coming tour...

Interesting question.

slash does not have a copyright on wearing a top hat,he wasn't the first and won't be the last.If you honestly have trouble telling slash and ashba apart you need more help than is provided online.

Exactly. I suspect that most people can tell the too apart -even if they both smoke and wear a hat.

But wow. I'm truly amazed that people actually care about that stupid crap. The type of hat a guitar player wears? Are you serious? It would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

And there they go with the idiotic "legacy" stuff.

What exactly does that mean, anyway? You are such a hardcore fan that when a band puts out an album 20 years after your favorite album, that new album somehow effects YOUR listening enjoyment of your favorite album? Catcher in the Rye somehow makes SCOM a less iconic song for you? DJ in the band somehow lessons the greatness of the work Slash did in the band? Not much of a fan of the old band, are ya. Because NOTHING this new band does will take anything away from what the old band did.

Guys like you are so worried about legacy and respect......meanwhile, Duff and Izzy are getting on stage and jamming with the new band. Apparently YOU care more about this mythical "legacy" thing more than the actual people that were in the old band.

It's a band. It's rock and roll. It's guys making a living, doing what they love.

If Axl and the new GnR make you so upset....don't leave the VR or former gunner's section. Go post in forums of bands that you enjoy.

Or, I suppose, you could stay here and make daily posts about a band that you don't like. That makes more sense.

Guest siliconmessiah

Interesting question.

Exactly. I suspect that most people can tell the too apart -even if they both smoke and wear a hat.

But wow. I'm truly amazed that people actually care about that stupid crap. The type of hat a guitar player wears? Are you serious? It would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

And there they go with the idiotic "legacy" stuff.

What exactly does that mean, anyway? You are such a hardcore fan that when a band puts out an album 20 years after your favorite album, that new album somehow effects YOUR listening enjoyment of your favorite album? Catcher in the Rye somehow makes SCOM a less iconic song for you? DJ in the band somehow lessons the greatness of the work Slash did in the band? Not much of a fan of the old band, are ya. Because NOTHING this new band does will take anything away from what the old band did.

Guys like you are so worried about legacy and respect......meanwhile, Duff and Izzy are getting on stage and jamming with the new band. Apparently YOU care more about this mythical "legacy" thing more than the actual people that were in the old band.

It's a band. It's rock and roll. It's guys making a living, doing what they love.

If Axl and the new GnR make you so upset....don't leave the VR or former gunner's section. Go post in forums of bands that you enjoy.

Or, I suppose, you could stay here and make daily posts about a band that you don't like. That makes more sense.

It´s you that gets upset, not me boy.

I am totally relaxed as the clothing designer top hat copy cat tries to get into GNR - and I´m counting down the days until Axl kicks him out of the band.

And by the way. This is only my personal opinion about Guns N´ Roses, and there is no need to get that upset like you seem to be.

Edited by siliconmessiah