1993: Axl tells the truth about Metallica

D..

Both bands suck nowadays, but old metallica is FAR superior in every way to this "new guns". They were pioneers of metal and had PLENTY of emotion in their songs. Where is emotion lacking in these songs??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eMQyX-zAhQ

So unbelievably hilarious, nu guns doesnt have shit on these songs!

Eh, I've never really liked Metallica. I've heard their entire discography, and I have yet to like a single song. All I hear is mindless loudness. I don't feel the emotion. I certainly feel the emotion in Chinese Democracy on the other hand.

To each their own I suppose, im the very opposite. CD did nothing for me. Guess music just strikes us all a bit different. 5:36 onward on Orion always gives me goosebumps leading up to the 2nd solo. I should also say, I use to hate all forms of metal until about a year ago. Now I have gotten into all kinds of old school metal and have learned to love Metallica as much as I do GNR. Cant stand Megadeth, however. UGH!

Haha! Megadeth's one of my all-time favorite bands. It's Metallica that I can't really stand. To each his own indeed. :thumbsup:

Well, I hold them almost equal, putting gnr slightly ahead in the old days. What's ridiculous is trying to write off Metallica as some second rate nobodies with no decent music. Sure, they havent written a decent album in 20 years, but for most GNR fans, we'd say the same about GNR. At least Metallica kept touring and entertaining its fans while Axl sat holed up in his house. Metallica has written songs that rivals anything GNR has to offer, thats coming from the most die hard (old)GNR on this site. Fade to Black, One, Sanitarium, Puppets, Nothing Else Matters, Orion, etc all on par with songs like estranged, nr, scom, pc and so on.

beautiful

This isn't too bad, either.

Hetfield was cool before he became obsessed with being taken seriously as a singer. In other words, Metallica was better when he couldn't sing.

I also resented his little snarky comments on that mtv thing where he reads Axl's list of backstage amenities.

How come none of you can do your homework? Sure, you know your shit about GNR, but did you know Hetfield was trained as an opera singer when he was younger? He's always taken his voice pretty seriously. Some of his best moments come on songs he's written about sensitive material.

I don't understand how the lot of you can poke at Metallica for changing their sound to apparently "go for money" when Axl used hair metal to get into the door, and has wanted to change his sound ever since. Sure, Axl's approach has been a lot more subtle, but believe it or not, artists don't want to create the same music for years and years and years. When they do, they sound insanely stale.

Actually I did do my homework. If you watch the interviews for the making of the Black album, Hetfield and his bandmates talk about the fact that, on that record, he had to sing more melodically than in their previous efforts. Furthermore, there are videos showing him practicing ascending and descending pitch patterns before gigs or recordings. The bottom line is this: after the Black album, he started trying to sing all serious like, and now he sounds out of place as he tries to prove to the world that he can actually sing. So maybe you're the one who should do your homework. You know I'm right. He sounds better on their first 5 albums. "Better" is subjective in this case. Axl on the other hand, still has the magic he always had.

And I never said anything about Metallica going for money. I just hate how they mix all their albums after the black album. I miss the days when they had that sharp, punchy, crisp, scooped mix to their sound. Now they sound all midrangey and muddy.

Oh and also: Axl didn't use hair metal to get into the door. Hollywood Rose was heavier than any glam band, and Axl's voice on that record is even more raw and scratchety (in the good way) than on any of the efforts that came after.

lol. Some major tards on here and of course as usual it's the guys that finid no fault with what Axl does.

When it comes down to it all at the end of the day Metallica gives their fans what they want and respect them. Guns (Axl) doesn't.

Yeah,everybody is a tard who doesn't share your opinion :rolleyes:

Funny if the public only knew the truth about why GN'R had to leave the stage. Too bad Metallica wont tell you the truth, it was not his voice nor his monitor Metallica are lying to you me and everyone.

Gunsguy 45 minutes ago

Just noticed this comment from Gunsguy on youtube. What's the real reason Axl walked off?

0:45

"You deserve the truth but tonight's not the time" is not an explanation. That wouldn't have prompted me to make a post like the one you made on youtube.

Its not the only thing, its just the only version thats in public right now. You will hear the real story one day I am sure :thumbsup:

lol. Some major tards on here and of course as usual it's the guys that finid no fault with what Axl does.

When it comes down to it all at the end of the day Metallica gives their fans what they want and respect them. Guns (Axl) doesn't.

Tends to be the status quo round these parts I'd say.

Agreed,Sad but true ;)

Metallica's a great band. Kinda overrated, but stilla great band. I actually am one of the few people that liked them better when they worked with Bob Rock, in the 90's. Sometimes I think their music lacks 'feeling', it's just technical playing, but they got some GREAT tunes, specialy from those 3 Bob Rock albums such as Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, Sab But True, Unforgiven I & II, Fuel, Memory Remains, Hero Of The Day, Bad Seed, Wasting My Hate, etc... Individually, I think James Hetfield has lost his stage persona when he gave up drinking, and became this "Hello friends, I would like to thank the metallica family" papa bear that pisses me off, while Lars is dispicable as a person and Kirk has no personality of his own. Of them all, I say Trujillo seems to be the coolest guy.

Metallica's a great band. Kinda overrated, but stilla great band. I actually am one of the few people that liked them better when they worked with Bob Rock, in the 90's. Sometimes I think their music lacks 'feeling', it's just technical playing, but they got some GREAT tunes, specialy from those 3 Bob Rock albums such as Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, Sab But True, Unforgiven I & II, Fuel, Memory Remains, Hero Of The Day, Bad Seed, Wasting My Hate, etc... Individually, I think James Hetfield has lost his stage persona when he gave up drinking, and became this "Hello friends, I would like to thank the metallica family" papa bear that pisses me off, while Lars is dispicable as a person and Kirk has no personality of his own. Of them all, I say Trujillo seems to be the coolest guy.

No! Trujillo is a hired hand :rolleyes:

Agreed,Sad but true ;)

Ah sailaway, you're witty and informative just like Ted Koppel.

No! Trujillo is a hired hand :rolleyes:

No he's not.

Agreed,Sad but true ;)

And you're a gentleman and a scholar kind Sir.Maybe someday I can make the leap from Koppel to William Shatner :thumbsup:

I like Metallica's music, but I hate Metallica 'fans' with a burning passion.

GN'R > Metallica

Axl > James

Agreed. I can't listen to their latest album though. I find more interesting songs on the fan hated St. Anger. Some Kind of Monster was pretty catchy. I hate the fact they want to work with Rick Rubin again. Bob Rock was the best producer they ever had.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Tards? What are you, 11-12 years old?

Axl hasn't put out an album you like in 20 years.....but you still hang out in a GnR forum? Guess that would make you a but of a......

Oh, and Master of Puppets > AFD.

LOL

Very close. But no. So still LOL.

Although I will give you some respite and state that Master of Puppets has not one bad song on it whereas of course AFD has the much maligned Anything Goes.

But Anything Goes is super catchy.

The only thing super Anything Goes is, is glam.

Someone once said on here that they imagine a video of the song and you'd have CC Deville playing it on a pink guitar. Says it all to me. Shadow of Your Love would have been way better.

I truely like both bands!!!

Gnr is my Favorite band

Metallica and justice for all is favorite album.

Go figure your favorite doesn't have your favorite album.

Metallica was sooo much better back before the Black Album. Not saying the Black album or anything after that sucked just not what I was looking for from Metallica and this is not a knock on them selling out like so many have said since the Black Album came out.

They are the ones at the end of the day that need to be satisfied with the finish product not what me or anyone thinks it should be and Guns is no different.

Metallica did kind of redeem themselves with DM, but that is my personal feeling.

Big Thanks to Yesterdays-Civil-War for turning me on to the the fan made remix of DM!!!!!! It sounds soooooo much better!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care what anyone says James can't and never could sing for shit!!!! I feel James and Metallica lead to music having very weak lead singers as far as vocal ablity.

Does his voice fit the band yes but to say that he has very much vocal ablity is a big stretch but like I said his vocals fit the band very well.

They do put on a great live show, they just grab everyone at show and make the show more of a total experiance by interacting so well with the audiance. Which I whish Guns would do basically play "through" the audience so to speak. But they have never really done that even back in the orginal Guns days. KOHD is about it.

Both bands suck nowadays, but old metallica is FAR superior in every way to this "new guns". They were pioneers of metal and had PLENTY of emotion in their songs. Where is emotion lacking in these songs??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eMQyX-zAhQ

So unbelievably hilarious, nu guns doesnt have shit on these songs!

Yet here u are posting in a forum for the new GnR instead of hanging out in the old gunners section or at a metallica forum.

Agreed,Sad but true ;)

And you're a gentleman and a scholar kind Sir.Maybe someday I can make the leap from Koppel to William Shatner :thumbsup:

Call me when you get to the part when you cover Strawberry Fields Forever. I'll be there with bells on and we shall discuss the classics, old chap.