1993: Axl tells the truth about Metallica

D..

I was thinking that in 50 years time Sweet Child O Mine will still sound great whereas early Metallica is a bit of racket. In a weird way AFD has elements of thrash and a whole host of other styles. There will be one or two bands like Beatles or Stones or Zepp that stand test of time. My guess is it will be Axl and Snoop.

I think most of the people that say that aren't really acdc fans, and probably couldn't tell you which singer was singing which song. There are some standard "cool" things to say.....GnR is nothing without slash, van halen was better than van Hagar, and old acdc was better than new. In terms of success and popularity.....post acdc has achieved much greater.

I agree completely. I think most people aren't open to the concept of change. Whenever there's a change of lineup, cast or style in any band or even in movies, people mostly receive the changes close mindedly. Even 90% of movie sequels don't get ratings better than the first movie. Hell, look at Red Hot Chili Peppers, people haven't even heard the album and are saying it's not the same without John! Even before they listen to it, they don't want to like it.

I do NOT compare bands from different genres. Metallica is thrash metal, GNR is rock. The only thing they have in common is that they both have one of the greatest records in their respective genres. Master Of Puppets and Appetite For Destruction.
I can't into Master of Puppets the album. It has something to do with the recording quality. I prefer the live versions of those songs. ..AND JUSTICE FOR ALL is for me, the greatest Metallica album of all time.

But dude.... don't get me wrong but And Justice For All's recording and production is probably their worst since Kill 'Em All... There's barely a bass in there! The guitars are too high pitched at many parts, and there's no audible bass to balance that!

I just can't understand all the trolling in this thread. Liking/hating a band is a matter of personal opinion, I think we should stop imposing our musical tastes like this. Just because you don't like a band, it doesn't mean they actually suck. Geee...

This is MYGNR, where opinion = fact.

Yup, it's ridiculous like that.

Yeah, I guess so.

That's just your opinion man :xmassrudolph:

Metallica is about money. Guns is about music.

Yeah, that's why Axl plays all those free shows right? Oh, wait.

The music business is a BUSINESS.

Didn't G N' R played an exclusive show for some rich Russian bozo last year? Easy mony

I was thinking that in 50 years time Sweet Child O Mine will still sound great whereas early Metallica is a bit of racket. In a weird way AFD has elements of thrash and a whole host of other styles. There will be one or two bands like Beatles or Stones or Zepp that stand test of time. My guess is it will be Axl and Snoop.

Lol, you must be kidding. Good one though. Axl and Snoop? From that timeframe it will obviously be Nirvana and Michael Jackson, he was nearing his end around that time admittedly though. Guns will be remembered to the extent a band like Deep Purple is nowadays.

Lol, you must be kidding. Good one though. Axl and Snoop? From that timeframe it will obviously be Nirvana and Michael Jackson, he was nearing his end around that time admittedly though. Guns will be remembered to the extent a band like Deep Purple is nowadays.

Nirvana? Naahh.... I say U2 and Michael Jackson. Nirvana's gonna be kinda like Cream or The Sex Pistols.

Nirvana are one of the biggest bands ever, Cream? I seriously doubt that. Nirvana are way bigger now than the Sex Pistols ever were.

I say, it's a short-lifespand band with a lot of respect towards them, with a classic no-doubts "one-of-the-biggest-albums-of-all-time" album and has achieved a certain cult status. While Rolling Stones and Beatles don't have this cult status, and have more pop media coverage and diverse fanbase like U2 and Michael Jackson.

Guest siliconmessiah

If they toured today, it wouldn't be Metallica going on first, that's for sure.

It´s sad but true (pun intended).

But that´s what GNR has become from Axl´s stubborn silence and nostalgic shows with a cover band.

As we speak, Mr.Rose is good to go for the 5th or 11th year of The Chinese Democracy World Tour (depending on how you see it).

I wonder if they´ll start the show with OMFG Jungle or Chinese Democracy. Must be a tough choice.

Whoa. There I´ve said it, GNR, a cover band, for the first time ever.

It´s only the disappointment of what my favourite band of all time has become...

Edited by siliconmessiah

some people on here probably think Nu Guns is better than Led, Cream and ACDC all put together :rolleyes:

I've never really been a fan of AC/DC or Cream, and I like Guns more than Led Zeppelin, but I would never make such an ignorant statement like, "Guns is the Led Zeppelin of this generation." How arrogant can you be to think you're the Led Zeppelin of your generation? Go home.

I love Guns, my favorite band but they are not Led Zeppelin. Nor is any band. the only band that compares to raw talent of Zeppelin is the beatles. Maybe late 60's stones with taylor and wyman.

John Paul Jones is a top five bass player all time. Not to mention he basically ran the band when Bonzo was out of control and Page was trying to summon demons.

Page is a top five guitar player alltime.

Bonzo is the BEST drummer all time.

Robert Plant is a top ten or fifteen singer.

That is truly an amazing collection of talent. I put their five best albums up against any band top five run, second only to the stones run of Beggars to goats head soup and maybe Dylan and the Beatles. No one else is even close to those four. No one.

I'm not trying to flame or insult you in any way, but how could Guns be your favorite band if you think those bands are better? Wouldn't that make one of those bands your favorite by default?

Its cool. I don't take it as a flame but as several others have said, its about taste. My taste is GNR but I understand that Zepp is just a better all around band (ability wise). However, i buy every GNR related record. They are my band, i grew up with them. I live for their triumphs and I feel for em when they do poorly. I dont have that connection with those other bands.

That said if you ask me to flip a coin about whether to put in Physical Graf or Appetite, I'll say appetite. If you ask me who had the better discography I have to say Zeppelin.

It´s sad but true (pun intended).

But that´s what GNR has become from Axl´s stubborn silence and nostalgic shows with a cover band.

As we speak, Mr.Rose is good to go for the 5th or 11th year of The Chinese Democracy World Tour (depending on how you see it).

I wonder if they´ll start the show with OMFG Jungle or Chinese Democracy. Must be a tough choice.

Whoa. There I´ve said it, GNR, a cover band, for the first time ever.

It´s only the disappointment of what my favourite band of all time has become...

Some of what u say is true. And I understand why people are so frustrated.

But I will never understand this cover band and tribute band mentality.

If Axl comes to your town, u don't want to hear him sing scom or ycbm or November rain? The old band always performed heavens door and live and let die.....does that mean they were a cover band?

Haven't the new band played every song off of CD live? The normal fan want to hear the songs that made GnR famous. Only the 10 die-hard people on this forum that get mad if they play 5 new songs instead of 6 new ones.

When I went and saw Sebastian Bach I wanted to hear youth gone wild, monkey business and in a darkened room. And also 4-5 songs from his new album.

When I went and saw Izzy, I didn't want to hear 14 songs from his last album and 12 songs from the prior album....and nothing pre-2009...because his current band didn't create those songs. And when they broke out crazy train, I didn't hear one person in the audience yelling and pissed off "bogus, this is nothing but a cover band playing old ozzy and black Sabbath songs. That guitar player is ripping off Randy."

It is just rock and roll. It isn't perfect, it isn't always pretty.....can't u people ever just relax and go have fun? Enjoy the show and stop obsessing on the behind the scenes drama. It isn't the name. It isn't who is in the band. It isn't who likes who. It isn't who is a jerk in real life. It's going and listening to loud rock and roll for 3 hours. It really is that simple.

Guest siliconmessiah

Enjoy the show and stop obsessing on the behind the scenes drama.

Drama, where? It´s quite undramatic in GNR-land I´d say, and maybe that´s the problem.

The band is getting ready for another round of OMFG Chinese Democracy & Jungle.

I wouldn´t call that drama. We´ve seen it all since 2001 and know what it looks like and how it sounds.

Edited by siliconmessiah

they were there to be mocked, Metallica was the one to capitalize by their subsequent absence.

You can see in Hetfield's face expressions that he's not a honest man. They should have been thankful that GNR dared played with them.

Metallica is more famous now than GNR, but they will never be near as incredible as GNR was back in the day. Lady Gaga is more famous than anybody right now. Is Lady Gaga's music good? No. It sucks. It's uber shit, it's a shame to music and pains me everytime I hear her music. Success doesn't mean quality, people from nowadays listen to garbage imo. There are no bands like Queen now (except Muse) and it's very sad.

Guns aren't finished yet, if Axl makes the right moves in Rock in Rio this year, everything could change, it's all about the music and quality, ultimately people will appreciate the good music there's on CD, and hopefully CD II.

they were there to be mocked, Metallica was the one to capitalize by their subsequent absence.

Funny how some people come to this forum for the sole purpose of getting people angry. C'mon... mocking GnR, classic AND nuGnR in a GnR forum?! Give me a fucking break!! Axl was a complete asshole to do what he did but it's the past! He's still an asshole today, and he'll always be one of the biggest asshole in the music industry, that's no news! what are you trying to prove, moreblack? We know that's true, we are all aware of his ridiculous actions that night!! For fuck's sake...

Metallica wouldn't be first to ANYONE nowadays. Not VR, not Slash solo, not Snakepit, not nuGnR, not Loaded, no one who ever had an involvement with the name "GnR" would headline metallica. But I know Metallica wasn't in the same awesome situation they're now a couple of years ago with the über gayness that is Some Kind Of Monster and theshit that was the St.Anger album. They were at the bottom of the well in the beggining of the century and now they're uptop on the position of the biggest Heavy Metal band in the world right now. I'm not talking about thrash metal, I'm talking about any metal. They're a bigger touring act than Iron Maiden, for Christ's sake. And that was all with ONE successful album.

Imagine how easy it would be for GnR if they released an awesome album like Metallica did, with critical praise and proper advertising!! That would be just as easy for GnR to get back on the throne!! Hell, imagine a fucking reunion!! Then you tell me that in the impossible situation that would be GnR and Metallica touring together again and you tell me who would go first... Again. One album. From "pussies of metal"/Napster Assholes/Decadent to biggest Metal touring act today.

Metallica is more famous now than GNR, but they will never be near as incredible as GNR was back in the day.

neither is currentGNR. Doesn't mean anything. Black album was their big one, and it's pretty near as incredible in any case. Metallica don't sweat GNR.

They were at the bottom of the well in the beggining of the century and now they're uptop on the position of the biggest Heavy Metal band in the world right now. I'm not talking about thrash metal, I'm talking about any metal. They're a bigger touring act than Iron Maiden, for Christ's sake. And that was all with ONE successful album.

Bottom of the well? that's a laugh innit? The went from monstrously hugely successful 1991-1999 to a sliver less monstrously hugely successful for ONE album cycle (...Monster still won film awards, and the St. Anger Tour still played to stadiums) and then back to their familiar hugeness.

Edited by moreblack

Enjoy the show and stop obsessing on the behind the scenes drama.

Drama, where? It´s quite undramatic in GNR-land I´d say, and maybe that´s the problem.

The band is getting ready for another round of OMFG Chinese Democracy & Jungle.

I wouldn´t call that drama. We´ve seen it all since 2001 and know what it looks like and how it sounds.

The drama isn't with the band. It is with you, bobo,Norte , sunny and a couple others.

So when a band comes to your town, you don't want to see the classics? You want GnR to play 14 songs off of CD and then call it a night? When Izzy comes to tour town, y only want to hear the songs off his new album and nothing else? Axl is the only singers alive who isn't allowed to play classic GnR songs. Weird.

You and I are different. And the majority of rock fans are different from you. If I go see GnR or an Axl rose solo tour.....I want to hear scom, November, don't cry, nightrain...along with some new songs.

For me, I just like music and live shows. You seem obsessed with all the other bullshit. To each his own.

LOL. Who said they can't play the classics? It's the HUGE reliance on the classics that's the problem. 15 years as their own band, and they only play 5 of their own songs, and 20 covers live at a show? Kinda pathetic...

They've played more classic songs yes. They are Guns N' Roses after all, it would be disapointing for the audience to not include these songs.

It's not quite as bad as you make it out to be though. I did the calculation, and they've played new songs 968 times, and classic songs 2587 times. That's new songs for 37.5% of the show.

That was a nerd move... :krider: