How much longer do you think Axl will continue on as GNR for?

ITW 2012

Bizarre how nobody's mentioned the only real factor that would stop him against his will: his voice. He already struggles terribly to sing half the songs on the 'new' album including some of the ones people want to hear the most: Prostitute, There Was A Time and Catcher. Scraped sounds terrible and he hasn't even tried Rhiad since 2002. According to various sources some of Axl's highest, hardest singing is on tracks including The General which might not appear for years. Are we meant to believe he's going to be able to reproduce that live when he's 55, 60? Much of CD is 12 years old already so no wonder he struggles with Twat and Catcher.

And it doesn't matter how long *insert artist* has kept going for. Jagger isn't a screecher, he doesn't need to keep all his range to make a Stones show work. Bon Jovi, having lost much his range, can drop a few octaves and pretend to be a singer-songwriter instead of running all over the stage like a rock frontman. That wont work for Guns. Axl ain't gonna de-tune and do an acoustic version of Jungle. It's either 'you know where the fuck you are?' or nothing.

Tyler has 10 years on Axl and still has a lot of his voice but even hardcore Aero fans have suspected some screams on more recent shows of being lip-synched.

Only time will tell.

I guess that some of the Rolling Stones fans back in the 1970s didn't picture Jagger singing at 60, either

well, it happened

Jagger has always kept going. There's never been a 17 year gap between Stones albums. And even when Mick and Keith were fighting during the 80's he still managed to release a solo album or two.

I guess that some of the Rolling Stones fans back in the 1970s didn't picture Jagger singing at 60, either

well, it happened

Jagger has always kept going. There's never been a 17 year gap between Stones albums. And even when Mick and Keith were fighting during the 80's he still managed to release a solo album or two.

and so what?

I'm talking here about LIVE performances at certain age, not releasing music

Edited by DrDrei

I think there may be some point in the future where he doesn't like the whole GN'R habit anymore. But I see that actually as a chance. I'm still dreaming of a laid-back, acoustic guitar/piano album from the man - kind of like Zakk's Book of shadows.

With Axls hand for melodies, this would be mindblowing music - without any screaming, full blown guitars and rockstar athletics. :D

Kind of ironic you mention Zakk as he was offered a position in the band in 96, think of what could have been.....

On Topic: Axl will take GNR to his grave, he isn't going to let his baby die, at least not before he does, will live performances begin to suffer due to lack energy and a deteriorating, yes. However I think Axl won't quit, now as for the amount of albums we get...5 tops before its all over.

Kind of ironic you mention Zakk as he was offered a position in the band in 96, think of what could have been.....

Arrr, I never cease to do that. :D Everytime I listen to Sonic Brew I think of what Axl could have done with this stuff (much of this album are leftovers from the Wylde/GNR-sessions, in case anyone wonders).

David Coverdale is still rockin' with Whitesnake even he is almost 60, and he doing it great. I believe that Axl will do the same.

I don't know man; for me there is a gap in the raw energy that is needed to perform a GN'R son gproperly or to perform a Whitesnake song properly. I don't mean to disrespect WS, I just think the music works differently.

When the constraints imposed by lawyers and big business are lifted, there will be a beckoning from the heavens which Axl will not be able to ignore: he will share his voice and his band's music with us once more.

I still wonder why he's got THIS MUCH legal trouble stopping him from releasing music.

I think there may be some point in the future where he doesn't like the whole GN'R habit anymore. But I see that actually as a chance. I'm still dreaming of a laid-back, acoustic guitar/piano album from the man - kind of like Zakk's Book of shadows.

With Axls hand for melodies, this would be mindblowing music - without any screaming, full blown guitars and rockstar athletics. :D

On Topic: Axl will take GNR to his grave, he isn't going to let his baby die, at least not before he does, will live performances begin to suffer due to lack energy and a deteriorating, yes. However I think Axl won't quit, now as for the amount of albums we get...5 tops before its all over.

5 albums??

So you believe that at this age and at this stage in his career even after the era of being the biggest thing in the world Guns N Roses have the time and energy to release double what they already have?

5 albums??

So you believe that at this age and at this stage in his career even after the era of being the biggest thing in the world Guns N Roses have the time and energy to release double what they already have?

Doesn't mean there can't be 5 albums, thats me just kind of dreaming though really, I think thats the max possible, reality more like 2 more albums.

Why all the doom and gloom? Where has Axl's performance decreased? His voice is awesome. It's always been a little hit or miss live but that doesn't mean anything. I don't understand what the complaints are.

He's in great shape and obviously takes care of himself.

And if he didn't KILL his voice after the early 90's tours, then it's clear his voice ain't going anywhere. He'd still sound awesome if his voice degraded.

Welcome to the Jungle will be as important when Axl is 60 as when it was when he wrote it in his twenties.

I think Axl should continue to rock as long as he wants to.

There are so many musicians and rock groups that are continuing to write new music as well as tour who are well into their 60s and beyond.

If the Stones can still sing "Let's spend the night together" Axl can still sing welcome to the Jungle. Besides, I believe the world will still be a fucked up jungle when Axl is 60, so the song will still remain important to continue to perform.

I realize no one wants to sit around waiting for it, but I think that a reunion of the classic lineup is still quite likely. And if that milestone ever came to be, I think we'd see new music also.

The original members are all alive and well, still active musically, and people want to see 'em. They could tour til they're dead.

I realize no one wants to sit around waiting for it, but I think that a reunion of the classic lineup is still quite likely. And if that milestone ever came to be, I think we'd see new music also.

The original members are all alive and well, still active musically, and people want to see 'em. They could tour til they're dead.

I feel the same way, although id settle for the nu band taking off, and becoming a band that can stand on their own at this point. Although, sadly, that also seems equally unlikely as of right now. It's sad to think about what could be, if axl would stop being sucha cry baby about the past. Idk how you can't talk to someone for 15 years, and still have a burning, hot passionate hatred for them. I'm not saying all the blame should go on axl shoulders, but he seems to be the only one who hasn't really moved on past the grudge. Just my two cents.

serious question.......why do you care? Why does it matter to you if Axl likes or dislikes somebody?

I feel the same way, although id settle for the nu band taking off, and becoming a band that can stand on their own at this point. Although, sadly, that also seems equally unlikely as of right now. It's sad to think about what could be, if axl would stop being sucha cry baby about the past. Idk how you can't talk to someone for 15 years, and still have a burning, hot passionate hatred for them. I'm not saying all the blame should go on axl shoulders, but he seems to be the only one who hasn't really moved on past the grudge. Just my two cents.

serious question.......why do you care? Why does it matter to you if Axl likes or dislikes somebody?

Because as Duff, or Izzy said (can't remember which), "at the end of the day, the fans are the ones who lose out", or something among those lines...it is what it is, but it's sometimes fun to ponder what could be. What the majority of fans would really prefer. And the stubborn behavior of one man that prevents it from happening.

On paper that is easy to say. But in reality.....

We are talking about a man's life and career. Just because u think he should work with Slash, does that mean he shouldn't do what makes himself happy?

We don't know what went on behind the scenes with the band. We don't know why Axl dislikes slash so much. But don't u have people u can't stand? If working with slash makes Axl unhappy, then why should he work with him?

I would think you would respect Axl more for NOT working with slash. Should he abandon or compromise his principles (whether they are right or wrong) for money or because somebody else wants him to?

You guys constantly bash Axl saying his tours are cash grabs. But u want him to reunite with Slash for the ultimate cash grab?

You guys constantly bash Axl saying his tours are cash grabs. But u want him to reunite with Slash for the ultimate cash grab?

that's not why people want such a thing. In fact it's probably one of the least reasons if a reason at all.

Obviously. Nobody said that.

Your missing the point.

Whether the reasons are just or not, Axl doesn't like slash and doesn't want to work with him. You would respect Axl more if he compromised his principles?

Just because your in a band together doesnt mean you have to play with those same people for life. And if people don't like each other, then why record together?