Is GnR the only BIG Band that makes Shredding sound cool?

gnrfan2007

I just see it more in Elton John Billy Joel type of rock n roll. TWAT and Catcher have a Stones type thing of Gimme Shelter and You Can't Always Get but it's not like Keef or Hanoi Rocks anymore. Chi Dem or Shacklers seem to have roots in rock n roll, Riad and Scraped. There's def that element that separates them from Megadeth. CD sounds like Black and Blue on a huge budget. I think what's gone more is the punk rock.

GNR put shredding in very rock n roll context. somehow it makes sense, like I couldn't imagine Bumble or Bucket in Aerosmith or The Stones.

I'd say GnR don't make sense in a rock n roll context anymore. It's just kinda sophisticated synthetic pop music. And honestly, Guns couldn't be the fuckin Stones in their dreams for the simple fact that they, and especially Axl, doesn't 'get' rock n roll in the way The Stones do.

LOGICALLY speaking, the word "soul" has no sensible/rational meaning.

So logically, using the word "soul" to describe anything is stupid.

Its all just really about whether the music stimulate any *emotions* for you that makes you feel *alive*.

I can't stand this "soul" thing anymore. I don't understand how people manage to point at a song and state that there's tons of "soul" there? It's all about personal opinion, not facts.

"Can you see soul there? Well, I can't, but I do see it here. What about you?"

This is something that is unique to each. Stop using it as a valid argument. <_<

I just see it more in Elton John Billy Joel type of rock n roll. TWAT and Catcher have a Stones type thing of Gimme Shelter and You Can't Always Get but it's not like Keef or Hanoi Rocks anymore. Chi Dem or Shacklers seem to have roots in rock n roll, Riad and Scraped. There's def that element that separates them from Megadeth. CD sounds like Black and Blue on a huge budget. I think what's gone more is the punk rock.

GNR put shredding in very rock n roll context. somehow it makes sense, like I couldn't imagine Bumble or Bucket in Aerosmith or The Stones.

I'd say GnR don't make sense in a rock n roll context anymore. It's just kinda sophisticated synthetic pop music. And honestly, Guns couldn't be the fuckin Stones in their dreams for the simple fact that they, and especially Axl, doesn't 'get' rock n roll in the way The Stones do.

Most of the album sounds like it was written around keyboards more than guitars. The Stones' Black and Blue has Fool to Cry & Memory Motel, but the rest of it's more along the lines of funk rock & reggae. But you can't say there's much, if any, Billy and Elton on there. To me, this was like KISS doing "Carnival of Souls" or Van Halen doing "III", an established band trying to update its sound, and either you like it or you don't. There's no middle ground. You can find good songs on any of those albums, but overall, it doesn't fit in with the other albums. UYI fits in with AFD partly because a quarter of those songs were AFD era. Just wipe Sorum's drums and have Adler play on them, strip the strings from "November Rain" and it's essentially AFD II.

3 years later - how often do they play songs from CD on the radio vs hearing the same 5 GNR songs Paradise City, Patience, Sweet Child O' Mine, November Rain, Welcome to the Jungle (and Mr Brownstone seems to be popular bumper music) that they'll continue to play in years to come?

The closest the Stones have gotten to shred guitar is when Satriani did some shows with Jagger.

GNR never tried to be the Stones or Aerosmith, maybe the Black Crowes did. But I think GNR should've done their AFD II in 1990, toured on that for a year, took a long ass break, and then put out UYI a few years later. It prob. would've had more cover songs because TSI wouldn't have existed except as an EP, and it prob. would've had one or two that made it on CD or a Snakepit song or two, but a 1995 release would've put them in a good place, at a time when grunge was on its way out.