CD > AFD

gnrfan2007

With CD, Axl has fulfilled his promise to outdo AFD.

This is the conclusion I have come to.

Clearly, CD and AFD are different beasts created in different eras.

But musically, CD is much better than AFD. From a musician point of view, CD blows AFD away. Anybody could cover the songs on AFD with ease. CD is not so easy to cover.

The lyrics on CD are also much more matured than on AFD. Obviously, a more grown up, wiser, and mature Axl will give your more mature lyrics.

Of course CD is not going to outsell AFD. But that's because of timing and a different era. When AFD was released, it was simply the right album for the generation of young people at the time.

CD lyrically is not going to speak to the mass population of young people today, simply because Axl is from a different era.

More fans may be able to sing along to the songs on AFD than on CD. But musically, musicians will find CD to be much more influential.

For these reasons, I truly honestly believe that CD is much better than AFD.

What do you think and why?

Edited by gnrfan2007

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically better does not always mean musically better. To me AFD is THE Guns N' Roses album. The album flows perfectly from one song to the next. Appetite is a bluesy hard rockin album that is a combination of 5 guys who were fighting their way to success one step at a time and had a burning motivation to kick everyone's ass. Don't get me wrong I love Chinese Democracy, but for me Appetite is the record that has all the elements of a timeless classic. The Illusions come close, but no Guns album imo has the flow and spark of energy that Appetite had.

And speaking as a musician, even though I do appreciate the complexity that Chinese Democracy has to offer, I am more appreciative of the raw hunger and drive that is evident on AFD. The songs sound great because those 5 guys have a special chemistry that can not and have not been replicated since

Edited by WhazUp

Technically better does not always mean musically better. To me AFD is THE Guns N' Roses album. The album flows perfectly from one song to the next. Appetite is a bluesy hard rockin album that is a combination of 5 guys who were fighting their way to success one step at a time and had a burning motivation to kick everyone's ass. Don't get me wrong I love Chinese Democracy, but for me Appetite is the record that has all the elements of a timeless classic. The Illusions come close, but no Guns album imo has the flow and spark of energy that Appetite had.

And speaking as a musician, even though I do appreciate the complexity that Chinese Democracy has to offer, I am more appreciative of the raw hunger and drive that is evident on AFD. The songs sound great because those 5 guys have a special chemistry that can not and have not been replicated since

This...just all of this.

I love CD, I love every track on it, and I still listen to it all the time.

But I literally LOLed at this post. Whatever you're on, I'd like some.

CD is "better" musically? Right. And Yngwie is a "better" guitarist than Eddie Van Halen because he can speed pick more notes per minute if he's sitting down with a metronome.

More influential to musicians??? Whaaaaaat???

Okay I'm done. I'm pretty sure Axl himself would disagree with you here.

Naaaahhhh AFD > CD. AFD is not just a record. It's part of rock history, it's a landmark album, an icon. Hundreds were influenced by that album. It raised the standards for what a great rock n roll album is. It's much, much more than a great album. It's one of the greatest albums of all time by anyone of any genre. If people were to choose 10 rock n roll albums to define rock n roll, AFD would definately be on the list.

CD is my favorite album of all time by any band BUT you gotta admit to the world, to music, to pop culture in general, there is no comparison.

Edited by It Don't Really Matter

I wonder why some of you people always feel the need to 'prove' that CD is better than AFD. It's a completely different beast. And let's be honest here: With CD, Guns didn't get any new fans. AFD is the reason we're all here. Does that make CD bad? Not by any means, but AFD is the better album. Maybe CD is 'technically' better, but really, since when does 'technique' by itself makes a good song? If that was the case, Yngwie Malmsteen would own all of GNR. But he doesn't.

Naaaahhhh AFD > CD. AFD is not just a record. It's part of rock history, it's a landmark album, an icon. Hundreds were influenced by that album. It raised the standards for what a great rock n roll album is. It's much, much more than a great album. It's one of the greatest albums of all time by anyone of any genre. If people were to choose 10 rock n roll albums to define rock n roll, AFD would definately be on the list.

CD is my favorite album of all time by any band BUT you gotta admit to the world, to music, to pop culture in general, there is no comparison.

Exactly.

Appetite carved itself into Rock and Roll history. It is a landmark album, an icon.

CD, imo, is an underrated masterpiece. It is every bit as good as either Illusions.

CD is a home run. Appetite is a grand slam home run in the bottom of the 9th inning to win the world series.

Is this for real? You honestly think more musicians will be influenced by CD than appetite? How many people want Slash tone versus whoever the hell played on CD? The AFD guitar tone is one of the most sought out tones of all time, probably more than anyone else. You can't be serious. What a lame thread...

+1

With CD, Axl has fulfilled his promise to outdo AFD.

This is the conclusion I have come to.

Clearly, CD and AFD are different beasts created in different eras.

But musically, CD is much better than AFD. From a musician point of view, CD blows AFD away. Anybody could cover the songs on AFD with ease. CD is not so easy to cover.

The lyrics on CD are also much more matured than on AFD. Obviously, a more grown up, wiser, and mature Axl will give your more mature lyrics.

Of course CD is not going to outsell AFD. But that's because of timing and a different era. When AFD was released, it was simply the right album for the generation of young people at the time.

CD lyrically is not going to speak to the mass population of young people today, simply because Axl is from a different era.

More fans may be able to sing along to the songs on AFD than on CD. But musically, musicians will find CD to be much more influential.

For these reasons, I truly honestly believe that CD is much better than AFD.

What do you think and why?

Absolutely not a viable comparison..why? For one.. AFD is iconic- the simpicity is its complexity and its sound is for one..REAL. Raw hungry powerful and explosive.. CD is bloated..lost.. shiftless and contrived..it sounds like a studio experiment (which it was...)

AFD was clubbed out and worked on the circut to perfection.. untill Rock in Rio no one had heard any of CDs stuff and when they did.. they had to be told it was GNR.

Its a very very good attempt at a GNR album and sound by people that had nothing invested in GNR..meaning it was only their day jobs. Axls muse headed for the fucking Mars or something because for the amount of labor he claims went into- it has some serious fucked up glitches. But then again it had been rerecorded and tinkered with so much that this was truely a frankenstein of an album.UYI's are kinda the same way though.

Of course its about personal tastes that prevail.. you like the sounds on it and thats cool... and probably because your of this era..as demonstrated by your desire in the other thread to have GNR "rap."BUT strip the all the effects of CD and what do you have? Some pretty good attempts at GNR songs...is what you have. Then you get something like RHIAD AND THE BEDOUINS and you have to wonder just how much the coke burned out the brains!! I love the music but the lyrics..really? CD's lyrics? THIS I LOVE..could have had CATS cast dancing around on it...but hey!!- if it gets ya wet who Am I to say shit ..its your issue.

How much of the album is computer? Yes it is very good music wise..maybe the best money could buy... admirable but utimately top heavy with some good ideas that should never have been tinkered with.

The key will be this..in 20 years will you have ANY of CD being played in general public?AFD is everywhere STILL and there is a reason for it. Its brilliant, relevant and one thing that CD is not and that is TIMELESS. CD is a good album but its no way no how in the same hemisphere as any of the previous efforts...even Spaghetti Incident? has its ups on CD.

Edited by rockerman

AFD has the ,in your face rcok n roll, raw, dirty and explosive spirit. While CD has too much sounds on it, and it's not meant to be heard as an mp3,

They are completely different albums with different vibes. It's like comparing a radiohead album to a motorhead one. You just can't.

You should listen CD to a good surround system if you really like to understand what's going on. It's even mixed that way. When i downloaded CD it sounded confusing and blurry to say the least. So you can't listen to it like that.

And i must agree that musically it's far beyond Appetite.

Wile i was recording some of my songs at a studio ,in the city i live in, i got in along conversation with the sound engineer about CD. He enjoys the album as much as i do and he's not a GN'R fan. In his eyes CD is the only good album GN'R has done. He's on the other side of the coin.

Don't get me wrong i love Appetite and it's a special album but CD is in a different world.

Edited by Loaded

Guest siliconmessiah

I think CD is a very good album. And I wish for its sequel to arrive this year.

What "ruined" things for me was the long wait and the early leaks.

In 2006 we had already heard Chinese Democracy, IRS, Better, Mad-at-Nascar, SoD, TWAT, Riad and CiTR. That´s more than HALF of the album!

The best three of CD in my opinion: TWAT, IRS AND PROSTITUTE. (I used to like Better, Maddy and SoD, but I have got tired of those and now usually skips them.)

Edited by siliconmessiah