About the US tour...

D..

I remember reading on this board that Axl was more or less forced to do the US tour to pay Azoff, didn't they settle some kind of thing like that in courts?

This would be an answer to all of those who are complaining about Axl "yet touring again Chinese Democracy". Except for Rock in Rio which is important for Axl, I'm doubtful about the US tour this fall being his real plan, what do you think about it?

I think it's obvious that the band has wanted to tour the states for sometime now, regardless of the case's outcome. Truth is, I'm just bored with the whole Chinese Democracy Tour thing. That's not to slight the album. Hell, I'd be pissed if Aerosmith toured Pump for going on 11 years.

Just tour in support of something, anything, that's not Chinese Democracy.

Axl just finished a year-long multi-million dollar tour last November.

I'd be extremely surprised if he'd be short on money. That's almost impossible I'd say.

It may be possible...

CD was a long and financially draining album to make, it's sales were not spectacular (lack of promotion, selling CDs in the digital age, the album not living up to the hype, etc.) and the fact that it isn't just Axl getting the paycheck, to finance a tour you have to pay the crew, the other band mates, and many, many, many more people.

Maybe they aren't broke broke per say, but from my perspective it is entirely possible for GNR to not have as much in the bank as they would like

I remember reading on this board that Axl was more or less forced to do the US tour to pay Azoff, didn't they settle some kind of thing like that in courts?

This would be an answer to all of those who are complaining about Axl "yet touring again Chinese Democracy". Except for Rock in Rio which is important for Axl, I'm doubtful about the US tour this fall being his real plan, what do you think about it?

No that's just certain spin doctors around here.

GN'R have been talking about touring the US for a while but didn't seem able to. They brought up Azoff controling Live Nation and using it as a way to control artists in the lawsuit. Keep in mind the DOJ was looking very closely at Azoff and Live Nation recently.

If anything, it's more like Azoff is being forced to promote them. But really, you agree to work together, you get to tour, you both get to profit from it, play nice - that's what it boils down to.

Guest siliconmessiah

To go on a US Tour three years after the promotionless release of Chinese Democracy seems just to weird to be true.

Axl must surely have something up his sleeve, I´d say CD2!

I think it's obvious that the band has wanted to tour the states for sometime now, regardless of the case's outcome. Truth is, I'm just bored with the whole Chinese Democracy Tour thing. That's not to slight the album. Hell, I'd be pissed if Aerosmith toured Pump for going on 11 years.

Just tour in support of something, anything, that's not Chinese Democracy.

+1

To go on a US Tour three years after the promotionless release of Chinese Democracy seems just to weird to be true.

You would hope so, but it wouldn't be the first time an irrational decision be made on behalf of GNR. :shrugs:

This might be a mini tour without any deeper meaning to it, like in 2007.

This tour better include Dallas. I doubt Axl needs money. Everytime they play a GNR song, Axl gets paid and at least the local Dallas rock station plays GNR songs all the time.

I saw the Shark Night 3 D movie today and GNR was mentioned. I'm sure Axl got paid for that! lol

GNR need to do a full US tour to win back the trust of the US fans. What good is touring if you can't tour the country you were born in!

This tour better include Dallas. I doubt Axl needs money. Everytime they play a GNR song, Axl gets paid and at least the local Dallas rock station plays GNR songs all the time.

I saw the Shark Night 3 D movie today and GNR was mentioned. I'm sure Axl got paid for that! lol

GNR need to do a full US tour to win back the trust of the US fans. What good is touring if you can't tour the country you were born in!

At this point, that's what I'm hoping for; a complete US tour that goes off without a hitch. I'd love to see them even throw in St. Louis to really win people back. But I'm not ready to throw the cart that far in front of the horse just yet lol

At this point, that's what I'm hoping for; a complete US tour that goes off without a hitch. I'd love to see them even throw in St. Louis to really win people back. But I'm not ready to throw the cart that far in front of the horse just yet lol

They played Montreal to a very appreciative crowd, no hitches :thumbsup:

Good point. I think St. Louis is very doable and would go a long way with good press in the US

Good point. I think St. Louis is very doable and would go a long way with good press in the US

It is doable, I hope they do play there, would really boost the press coverage and put some harsh feelings to bed

No that's just certain spin doctors around here.

GN'R have been talking about touring the US for a while but didn't seem able to. They brought up Azoff controling Live Nation and using it as a way to control artists in the lawsuit. Keep in mind the DOJ was looking very closely at Azoff and Live Nation recently.

If anything, it's more like Azoff is being forced to promote them. But really, you agree to work together, you get to tour, you both get to profit from it, play nice - that's what it boils down to.

Nice analogy,the DOJ even remarked they would be keeping an eye on the situation. :thumbsup:

It is doable, I hope they do play there, would really boost the press coverage and put some harsh feelings to bed

Well, they are banned from playing in St.Louis forever, so they would have to get that lifted.

Montreal rocked! Let us hope that if st.Louis is on the agenda,the Saddle Tramps leave Stump at home. :thumbsup:

Well, they are banned from playing in St.Louis forever, so they would have to get that lifted.

Forever is never forever and never say never :)

Axl just finished a year-long multi-million dollar tour last November.

I'd be extremely surprised if he'd be short on money. That's almost impossible I'd say.

It may be possible...

CD was a long and financially draining album to make, it's sales were not spectacular (lack of promotion, selling CDs in the digital age, the album not living up to the hype, etc.) and the fact that it isn't just Axl getting the paycheck, to finance a tour you have to pay the crew, the other band mates, and many, many, many more people.

Maybe they aren't broke broke per say, but from my perspective it is entirely possible for GNR to not have as much in the bank as they would like

On the contrary, they made their money back via the BB exclusive deal. They (well Axl) have made a killing from the tours.

Both sides probably prefer making money and wanted a U.S. tour to happen, but couldn't come to terms for a long time. So they sued each other to force the issue and eventually reached a settlement that included a tour. As for who got the better end of the deal, we have no idea since we don't know what either sides starting positions were or what the final deal was.

I'm of the opinion that Azoff was blocking a tour, but I read between the lines and hear what I want to hear anyhow. I also hear new music too.

Congratulations! You fit right in here! :lol:

Both sides probably prefer making money and wanted a U.S. tour to happen, but couldn't come to terms for a long time. So they sued each other to force the issue and eventually reached a settlement that included a tour. As for who got the better end of the deal, we have no idea since we don't know what either sides starting positions were or what the final deal was.

You're probably right, good explanation!

I'm pretty sure Axl wants to be successful again in the US but the way this tour is happening there is quite odd, I'd hate it if it was forced by Prick Azoff.

I'm of the opinion that Azoff was blocking a tour, but I read between the lines and hear what I want to hear anyhow. I also hear new music too.

He wouldn't have blocked the tour. His management company and running Ticketmaster have to be handled separately. Would've wound up on the antitrust radar again. He ran into them last time when Springsteen tickets wound up to a third party ticket agency he had a stake in.

But that doesn't mean he can't call promoters and influence their decision making. GNR could've kept touring everywhere except the US

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

It was never proven to be truth, much like many (or rather most) of the other things which can be read on this forum.

But that doesn't mean he can't call promoters and influence their decision making. GNR could've kept touring everywhere except the US

Exactly. Although, in theory, the management and promotion aspects should be kept separately, Azoff's different jobs create an inherent conflict of interest. He very well could have affected the ability to tour through non-overt and public means. At least, that was a legitimate fear on GN'R's part.

As far as the being "forced" to tour. That's ridiculous. Whenever have you ever heard of a US court decision stipulating the means of payment in a settlement or verdict? Never from my perspective. It's not like touring is Axl's only revenue stream anyway. He gets money from merch sales, licensing deals and royalties. He wouldn't necessarily have to tour in order to pay any settlement amount, IF that is actually what is happening. He could have enough money in the bank to cover that amount regardless.

Ali

You would hope so, but it wouldn't be the first time an irrational decision be made on behalf of GNR. :shrugs:

So true.