new Opeth album

bt88

I realize we have a metal thread but Opeth have some mass appeal, and it may be growing. The new records features the trademark opeth sound but with one difference: no growling vocals. The music is still amazing but and still has the opeth feel, but it's all singing. A lot of the old school fans will hate it, but I think it's bold for a band to take such a directional shift. Especially in metal as the fans are passionate almost to a fault.

Here's a clip, album is streaming on NPR right now and comes out next week:

I like their older stuff :P

Blackwater Park and Still Life are fucking awesome. Ghost Reveries, Watershed and My Arms, Your Hearse were all also great. Really, Damnation was the only one I didn't like...due to the total change of style. (Though I didn't care much for Deliverance either)

I like their older stuff :P

Blackwater Park and Still Life are fucking awesome. Ghost Reveries, Watershed and My Arms, Your Hearse were all also great. Really, Damnation was the only one I didn't like...due to the total change of style. (Though I didn't care much for Deliverance either)

Yeah, you probably won't like this then. It's nothing like your favourites, or anything they've released for that matter.

I mean, I like it. But it doesn't lend itself to casual listening. It's like you have to sit down and listen to the whole thing, but at the same time, you don't want to. Some kickass ideas, but some that fall very flat also.

I dig this kind of music. Love some of those '70s Uriah Heep tunes. This one didn't do a lot for me, it's alright though. Might have to try out some other songs on the album, which I'll hopefully like more.

For sure I know the growling vocals ain't for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I found it quite boring. If I want to listen to a band that's obsessed with 70s prog, I can put on Dream Theater...

Shame James LaBrie sounds like a cat that's been stood on >.<

I do like Dream Theater but daaaaamn I hate Labrie!

I liked the new album, completely different from there other work, but it has been executed well!

Stephen Wilson produced it right?

I found it quite boring. If I want to listen to a band that's obsessed with 70s prog, I can put on Dream Theater...

Shame James LaBrie sounds like a cat that's been stood on >.<

I do like Dream Theater but daaaaamn I hate Labrie!

I liked the new album, completely different from there other work, but it has been executed well!

Stephen Wilson produced it right?

Yeah, he produced it. Also just released his new double-album 'Grace For Drowning', which is leaps better than Heritage.

I love Opeth, but Steven Wilson knows how to create ambient music with flavour.