Do you think Nu Guns will eventually become a band that can stand on their own?

Bobbo

The album wasn't that successful considering the hype around the record. And the tours are currently mainly a nostalgia act. Again, not being a dick, just trying to be honest. I'm not saying they can never take off, just saying...they really haven't yet. I guess the real test will be what happens with the next record.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's about as successful as any record can be these days. obviously they have got a tough act to follow but they put on great show and do the old songs justice. I never once thought about old line up at the show. I doubt they'll ever reach the levels of hype the og line up got, ironically they might be a tighter band. but image means a lot in music.

Axl's chance to make this band its own came and went with Chinese. The time it took and his antics have caused most of the general public to move on. Most of us on the forum are hoping they hit it big again but the music scene has changed so much that it probably wont happen. The facts are that appetite created a tidal wave and what we have left are just the after affects of that original impact that five created. They may have a hit or two left with the newer guys but the lack of promotion has killed a lot of the momentum. You may point to Rio and Chinese as progress but again its been too long to create and sustain momentum to get what we all want, which is Guns back on top. I love the new guys and I love Chinese but if ur expecting axl to take over the world again at his age and to meet the expectations he created for himself, your high. It takes him a longer time to produce music due to his expectations.

Bottom line is most bands from that original era are just enjoying the fruits of their labor from that original impact they had, axl included.....

The album wasn't that successful considering the hype around the record. And the tours are currently mainly a nostalgia act. Again, not being a dick, just trying to be honest. I'm not saying they can never take off, just saying...they really haven't yet. I guess the real test will be what happens with the next record.

You lost me at "hype."

Some folks are forgetting that it took AFD 3 years to catch on.

Some folks also seem to forget that OLD-GnR died when the "alternative era" exploded.

People in the mainstream don't care about GnR right now because of the music of OLD-GnR. They still associate GnR with OLD-GnR. And OLD-GnR is no longer "cool".

If Slash and Duff were still in GnR, GnR would not be where it is today because the music would suck as shown by the music put out by Slash and Duff's solo and VR bands.

It is *in-fact* NEW-GnR that has revived GnR - to allow GnR to continue to sell out concerts and sell over 3 MILLION copies of CD.

TRUE. Therefore Nu Guns can stand on their own. Some folks blind to see such facts!

Regardless of who replacements are, Axl knows better to lead his band.

Some folks also seem to forget that OLD-GnR died when the "alternative era" exploded.

People in the mainstream don't care about GnR right now because of the music of OLD-GnR. They still associate GnR with OLD-GnR. And OLD-GnR is no longer "cool".

If Slash and Duff were still in GnR, GnR would not be where it is today because the music would suck as shown by the music put out by Slash and Duff's solo and VR bands.

It is *in-fact* NEW-GnR that has revived GnR - to allow GnR to continue to sell out concerts and sell over 3 MILLION copies of CD.

TRUE. Therefore Nu Guns can stand on their own. Some folks blind to see such facts!

Can you really/truly call it a 'band'? Isn't a band when everyone kind of decides things/has an influence? Setlist, writing, free to do (honest) interviews etc...?

Can you really/truly call it a 'band'? Isn't a band when everyone kind of decides things/has an influence? Setlist, writing, free to do (honest) interviews etc...?

Please enlighten us on the inside world of Guns N' Roses then...

you can do it for yourself, anyone here can.

LOL. I have no "inside knowledge". Just stating the obvious. Put Slash, or Ashba or Stinson or anyone as a "band" member these days. Shouldn't they be free to do big (Stern, VH1, RS) interviews? Love it or hate it, but face it, it's the Axl Rose show. I fricking think Axl is the greatest, I just don't think it's a 'band'. I'll see the concert in a couple months, and i will love it..just don't say 'great band'. They, (current line up) have never produced one album. CD is 100% Axl Rose' vision/creation. And it's awesome.

I think the next album will be a deciding factor regarding the future of GNR. Word is, that's coming sooner than many of us expected. :thumbsup:

Uh, what? What word? And from whom? Please tell me this isn't based on the word of a certain wrestler, or retired wrestler, or whatever :rofl-lol:

Ali

Touche' same sentiments here.

You lost me at "hype."

The hype thing was obvious. The album was everywhere when the release was announced. As well as through the years.

But their product (referring to what they play on tour) is from a different era. It'd just be nice for this band, or era, to be remembered for what they contributed to the GNR legacy, not just one album that got a mixed reception and for cover shows.

"Old GNR" is not cool? They're still all over the radio. They're always on "best of" lists. People still love them. I can't even comprehend why you would say that.

As for Slash and Duff's being "crap", just as many GNR fans, if not more would say the same about Chinese Democracy, Contraband was a worldwide hit critically and commercially at least. The first snakepit album was pretty well received and went platinum as well.

Edited by Bobbo

Yes I can call it a band as long as the group or a band can provide all of the musical elements like vocals, chords, bass lines, and percussion or drumming with options of having duets, trios, quartets or back-up singers.

Two-piece bands in rock music like The White Stripes and The Black Keys are blues-influenced rock utilized a guitar and drums scheme. Other Pop and Rock bands with two members are like Tenacious D, The Everyly brothers, Pet Shop Boys, Simon and Garfunkel. Pop bands during 1980’s, Wham and Tears for Fears were filled-out the sound behind the scenes and they’re still categorized as a band with one or both as composer/s or song writer/s.

A band doesn’t necessarily compose or write a song but can perform as a band.

The function of composing music initially did not have much greater importance than that of performing it.

I was a member of the band when I was in High School, we didn't compose or write a song but we performed as a band.

However, original GNR line-up was the perfect Rock Band in the whole world that every member had their contributions composed to every perfect classic GNR music.

(I’m not sure the word original because Slash replaced the original too)

Deciding things, influence, free to do interviews are not the factors being the band. It's the rules created by the band, since GNR=Axl=band every member should follow the rules and it should be an internal communication or administration issues. Fans should not be worried about internal communications, what they deliver we buy. I guess that's so simple.

you can do it for yourself, anyone here can.

LOL. I have no "inside knowledge". Just stating the obvious. Put Slash, or Ashba or Stinson or anyone as a "band" member these days. Shouldn't they be free to do big (Stern, VH1, RS) interviews? Love it or hate it, but face it, it's the Axl Rose show. I fricking think Axl is the greatest, I just don't think it's a 'band'. I'll see the concert in a couple months, and i will love it..just don't say 'great band'. They, (current line up) have never produced one album. CD is 100% Axl Rose' vision/creation. And it's awesome.

Heh... "stating the obvious".

Did Axl write everything on CD himself? Did Axl somehow stop any bandmembers from doing Stern, VH1 or RS interviews (that's the first I hear of it)? Just because they haven't done it, how does that automatically mean Axl is putting his foot down? The past concerts, did Axl say what each guitarist should play for their solo spot, or were they free to do whatever they wanted? Several times during interviews with other members of the band, they are laughing at these "facts" about Axl being a dictator, saying "people have no idea about how things really are".

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Axl is the leader of GN'R yes, afterall he's the remaining original member. He's the one who's ultimately steering the band in whichever direction. But if you read a little bit of what people have said in the past, Axl is encouraging everyone to contribute and be creative when it comes to making songs. I haven't seen anything about Axl dictating to the other members about how he wants the songs to be. Some say "well yes, but Axl is the one who picks and decides what ends up on the album". I'll bring up the example of This I Love again, Axl didn't want it on the album, but Robin and Tommy (if my memory serves me) pushed for it.

Edited by spirit83

Love it or hate it, but face it, it's the Axl Rose show.

Really? :rofl-lol:

You might want to check the Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy liner notes and notice he didn't write the songs alone.

I fricking think Axl is the greatest,

No you don't

Also what is "nu" ? It sounds so retarded.

Edited by volcano62

Bobbo, you and I must've had totally different experiences. I found out about CD when my uncle freaked out about it, not when I saw it or when it was advertised. Nothing. Whenever I talk about GN'R at school, people always know who I'm talking about. I can even be specific and talk about AFD and the UYIs. When I bring up CD, I get confused looks. I even give the entire backstory, and they still don't know what I'm talking about, although they already think it's a stupid alb based on it taking a million years to make.

My uncle is the only one who has purchased the album that I personally know of. And he adores it. :)

No it did not take 3 years as it hit number 1 in about a year after release..from wikipedia......

Appetite for Destruction debuted at position 182 on the Billboard 200 on August 29, 1987. The album reached number one on the chart on September 24, 1988, 50 weeks after its first appearance. It spent four weeks at the top of the chart, and a total of 147 weeks on the Billboard 200.

This is also untrue as the UYI tour was one of the biggest sellers of the 90'sand Spaghetti Incident, while not selling like AFD or UYI's, still sold 190K the first week and debuted at #4 on Billboard. Old Guns died when Slash finally quit the band............

No actually old Guns is still cool as AFD gets played on the radio all the time. People in the mainstream do not care about NuGuns because Axl has only released 1 album in 14 years and refuses to promote the band. It is his fault mainstream is ignoring NuGuns..........

Considering Contraband sold almost as many units as ChiDem this is just your opinion not a fact.......

It is *in-fact* NEW-GnR that has revived GnR - to allow GnR to continue to sell out concerts and sell over 3 MILLION copies of CD

And you ignore the fact that NuGuns did not sell out all their shows the past tour and in fact had trouble selling tickets in Central America and played to half full arenas the last two tours here in the U.S. and sold less than 1 million units of ChiDem here so I would say the patient is far from "revived".....Lets see how the U.S. tour does before we claim NuGuns is a "revived" GnR........

Just curious do you bother to check your facts before you post or do you just throw shit against the wall and hope nobody notices you get your facts wrong most of the time?? try doing a little research before you post mate....

Edited by classicrawker