Do you think Nu Guns will eventually become a band that can stand on their own?

Bobbo

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting how you twist things,first you attack me over my screename and reference the wrong song,then I'm dammed for liking Styx as well,that is laughable.

I always thought Smeagol was a good character to represent the cupcake patrol,the hoarders,and the ones that steal and leak,can't you just see them hissing "my precious" as they gloat over their glory? Smeagol is a trollish figure,as is Dobby.

Since kirk wasn't the original lead guitarist,and Jason nor rob were the original bassist,you set the precident of calling everybody who is not an original member of a band a hired hand. I suppose you realize that Tracii ulrich aka guns was the original lead guitarist for o? Guess where I'm going with this. :rolleyes:

Uh oh you said the T word. The cupcakes get their panties in an uproar when we mention facts like Tracii Guns put the guns in GNR and was THE original lead guitar player. Adler mentions in his book and many other have stated that Axl and Tracii founded the band when they were living together.

From what I remember from that topic you started you were going off about how Saul was shit and that Tracii could have done the job just as good if not better. Not that I want to open that can of worms, but that was the basis of the argument regarding him - I don't think it was ever disputed that Traci was the "original" guy for the job

Give me the choice to hire Saul or Tracii I'd go with Tracii. He doesn't always play the same shit all the time and he knows many more different ways of playing his instrument.

And also Tracii was not 'the original guy for the job" he created THE job....he created GNR.

This proves my point. It is undisputed that Tracii was the guitar player before Slash. But that thread you created were full of jabs at Slash, and what you said regarding him is what people argued about. You just said "the cupcakes go crazy whenever you mention Tracii". Wrong. People just took what you said regarding Slash (which at the time was nothing but jabs) and pointed out what they thought was completely ridiculous, Tracii just happened to be the subject stuck in the middle of the argument

Not involved in the discussion.....but on a side note, this just shows how bands work. Players come and go. Tracii was there for awhile and left. Rarely does a band have all its original members for 50 years. Guys usually play in tons of different bands.

People call them hired hands Apollo because that is what they are. They are not equall members to Axl and get paid a set amount of money to perform in his band and can be fired at will. Tracii and Slash were equal partners with Axl and the other band members of Guns MkI and Guns MkII (so as not to get the Axl fans all twisted) so hence they were not hired hands they were partners...In NuGuns Axl is CEO and the others his employees, in old Guns he was just another partner in the corporation.........I don't see anything derogatory about stating the facts.........

And every band has a leader,granted not one that owns the name but one that pulls more weight and calls the shots. Hetfield fired Jason from Metallica,so Trujillo is a hired hand.

Megadeth is run by Mustaine,etc.

When the AFD lineup was together they had a mathmatical formula for figuring out who got what percentage,Axl had the majority of that. He was always the obvious leader,even Mick Wall admits that.

Axl got Slash & Duff to record "one in a million" even though they both admittedly had first degree ethenicity,slash by heritage and Duff by relatives. Can't deny Izzys songwriting skills,but once he left most of the lyrics were written by Axl.

It was always his band,everyone quit or was fired.Now its his band legally,he brought the name in. It's a new lineup of very talented musicians,and its 2011. Move on.

All your post proves is if someone has a valuable company and is interested in growth and expansion the last person that they should hire as the CEO is Axl Rose.

Why not take a glance at Duff's book,he openly acknowledges that GNR was Axl's band,and he makes some very valid statements instead of downing someone else to make himself feel better.

You might find this helpful ;)

In NuGuns Axl is CEO and the others his employees, in old Guns he was just another partner in the corporation.........I don't see anything derogatory about stating the facts.........

I mean, could they realistically vote Axl out? Or overrule him in any way? don't really think so, they are not on equal footing.

According to Axl's countersuit against Azoff, section 5 "Nature of the Action"

"Rose controls the operation, direction, and membership of the band. Rose has the authority to retain and release all constituent members of the band"

So in other words they are his employees and have no say in what happens unless he o.k.s it......sounds like hired hands to me....... :shrugs:

http://images.eonline.com/static/news/pdf/axlrose.pdf

Yup sounds like it to me too...

Okay so we can add Metallica,and Megadeth to that list,and VanHalen.We could go back and add Frank Zappa and the MOI,BonJovi this isn't exclusive to GNR,add NIN to that list as well.

Nope, never. They'll always be in the shadow of the old GNR, the only GNR people recognize. If standing on their own is something Axl is concerned about then he should have used a different name

Maybe in the glow of what was and carrying on with what is ;)

In NuGuns Axl is CEO and the others his employees, in old Guns he was just another partner in the corporation.........I don't see anything derogatory about stating the facts.........

I mean, could they realistically vote Axl out? Or overrule him in any way? don't really think so, they are not on equal footing.

"Rose controls the operation, direction, and membership of the band. Rose has the authority to retain and release all constituent members of the band"

So in other words they are his employees and have no say in what happens unless he o.k.s it......sounds like hired hands to me....... :shrugs:

Okay so we can add Metallica,and Megadeth to that list,and VanHalen.We could go back and add Frank Zappa and the MOI,BonJovi this isn't exclusive to GNR,add NIN to that list as well.

I agree with adding NIN and Megadeth to the "list". Metallica? After watching Some Kind of Monster and reading into them they don't fit into that category, and neither does Van Halen, as the major songwriters were there (In the eighties and ninties the same instrumental section was in the band, and now most of the original incarnation save for 1 person is in the band. A lot different from all but one being new guys - and by original incarnation of course it is in reference to the incarnation that the band really came into their own with)

Edited by WhazUp

I agree with adding NIN and Megadeth to the "list". Metallica? After watching Some Kind of Monster and reading into them they don't fit into that category, and neither does Van Halen, as the major songwriters were there (In the eighties and ninties the same instrumental section was in the band, and now most of the original incarnation save for 1 person is in the band. A lot different from all but one being new guys)

Certainly Eddie had a undeniable role in putting Wolfie in on Bass,and after watching the metallica video it was hetfield that confronted Jason,although I do think Lars is an influence.Kirk seemed to be outside it all.

This isn't an indictment of either band,but Frank Zappa and the MOI,Sly and the family stone,at one time Roger Waters fired Richard Wright from PF.

I'm just showing this isn't exclusive to GNR,nor does it need to be viewed negatively.

Wow, this thread was on page 5 when I last visited.

Nu Guns is an adopted name by the fans that separates old Guns from the current incarnation. It's not meant to be an insult. Didn't even Axl himself refer to this band as such?

Line up changes and what has become GNR are comparing apples and oranges. Does this really need to be explained again, I think it's fairly obvious. And just because Axl wasn't the first and only to do what he did, (Billy Corgan with SP, Courtney Love with Hole, etc.), it doesn't mean it's more justified. And hey, at least those bands are releasing music on a regular basis, touring on a regular basis, communicating with fans, you know...crazy shit. The term "hired hands" is accurate. Some of you are over analyzing it into something negative. It just it what it is. The proofs in the pudding, as described by various members on here already, so no need to repeat. If Axl wants to zig, and the rest of the band wants to zag, you can bet your bottom dollar that the rest of the band is going to zig, whether they want to or not. They do what they're told. And, in my personal opinion, that's not how a band should be run, and I think it's one of the major downfalls of nu guns. Maybe it's just coincidence that the band had their most success actually operating as a band, with everybody having equal input. But I personally don't think so.

As for the whole Tracii thing, wasn't he only in the band for two weeks? He didn't write any material, or even perform on a song, much less an album, lmao. To me, he was the "gonna be original guitarist". He didn't write or record squat. It was the line up of Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven, along later with Matt and Dizzy that helped build GNR to the rock n roll status it currently has. And when they joined, they joined as a unit. Equal opportunity for everybody, and nobody was above the other. Axl "always being the boss" and "everbody post Tracii were hired hands" is simply not true, as already pointed out by a previous post. But that's not the case with their replacements, as everything has to be okayed by Axl, instead of the band as a whole.

What else did I miss?

Hetfield fired Jason from Metallica,so Trujillo is a hired hand.

No actually this is not true mate. Lars was on the Howard Stern show last week and confirmed that Jason quit and was not fired....He had a major conflict with Hetfield over his side projects and got pissed and quit...sound familiar? and Trujillo is not a hired hand. They gave him 1 million dollars to join the band and a piece of the action...this was detailed in the "Some Kind of Monster" documentary

When the AFD lineup was together they had a mathmatical formula for figuring out who got what percentage,Axl had the majority of that. He was always the obvious leader,even Mick Wall admits that.

No again you are wrong about this. They had a formula for writing credits and Axl did not get the majority but they were equal partners in other band business.

Axl got Slash & Duff to record "one in a million" even though they both admittedly had first degree ethenicity,slash by heritage and Duff by relatives. Can't deny Izzys songwriting skills,but once he left most of the lyrics were written by Axl.

Axl always wrote most of the lyrics so no shocker there but he did not write the majority of the music

It was always his band,everyone quit or was fired.Now its his band legally,he brought the name in.

No actually it was not always his band. In Guns Mk I and MkII he was a partner with the other band members and where do you get he bought the name. According to the info we have Slash and Duff signed over their rights to him and the only grey area is how it happened. Nobody claims Axl paid them anything for the rights to the name not even Axl.......

It's a new lineup of very talented musicians,and its 2011. Move on.

I realize that and Axl can do whatever he wants with the name. I have also always said his band was very talented but you can't dispute they are his hired hands as it is what it is......

And I have moved on mate I am just correcting yours and other Axl fans revisionist history..................do some research next time before you make your posts..........

Right on dude. Didn't want to repeat a great post. Why people try to rewrite the past to try and back up their point boggles my mind...

Edited by Bobbo

No actually this is not true mate. Lars was on the Howard Stern show last week and confirmed that Jason quit and was not fired....He had a major conflict with Hetfield over his side projects and got pissed and quit...sound familiar? and Trujillo is not a hired hand. They gave him 1 million dollars to join the band and a piece of the action...this was detailed in the "Some Kind of Monster" documentary

No again you are wrong about this. They had a formula for writing credits and Axl did not get the majority but they were equal partners in other band business.

Axl always wrote most of the lyrics so no shocker there but he did not write the majority of the music

It was always his band,everyone quit or was fired.Now its his band legally,he brought the name in.

No actually it was not always his band. In Guns Mk I and MkII he was a partner with the other band members and where do you get he bought the name. According to the info we have Slash and Duff signed over their rights to him and the only grey area is how it happened. Nobody claims Axl paid them anything for the rights to the name not even Axl.......

I realize that and Axl can do whatever he wants with the name. I have also always said his band was very talented but you can't dispute they are his hired hands as it is what it is......

And I have moved on mate I am just correcting yours and other Axl fans revisionist history..................do some research next time before you make your posts..........

Reread the percentages section agreement,I'm sure you have it in your files.

Also read Duff's book,he admits it was Axl's band,I think he would know better than you.

Just correcting your revisionist delusions!

And Hell yes this is a band,look at the upcoming tour dates!

Drink some more haterade. :rofl-lol:

Wow, this thread was on page 5 when I last visited.

Nu Guns is an adopted name by the fans that separates old Guns from the current incarnation. It's not meant to be an insult. Didn't even Axl himself refer to this band as such?

Line up changes and what has become GNR are comparing apples and oranges. Does this really need to be explained again, I think it's fairly obvious. And just because Axl wasn't the first and only to do what he did, (Billy Corgan with SP, Courtney Love with Hole, etc.), it doesn't mean it's more justified. And hey, at least those bands are releasing music on a regular basis, touring on a regular basis, communicating with fans, you know...crazy shit. The term "hired hands" is accurate. Some of you are over analyzing it into something negative. It just it what it is. The proofs in the pudding, as described by various members on here already, so no need to repeat. If Axl wants to zig, and the rest of the band wants to zag, you can bet your bottom dollar that the rest of the band is going to zig, whether they want to or not. They do what they're told. And, in my personal opinion, that's not how a band should be run, and I think it's one of the major downfalls of nu guns. Maybe it's just coincidence that the band had their most success actually operating as a band, with everybody having equal input. But I personally don't think so.

As for the whole Tracii thing, wasn't he only in the band for two weeks? He didn't write any material, or even perform on a song, much less an album, lmao. To me, he was the "gonna be original guitarist". He didn't write or record squat. It was the line up of Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven, along later with Matt and Dizzy that helped build GNR to the rock n roll status it currently has. And when they joined, they joined as a unit. Equal opportunity for everybody, and nobody was above the other. Axl "always being the boss" and "everbody post Tracii were hired hands" is simply not true, as already pointed out by a previous post. But that's not the case with their replacements, as everything has to be okayed by Axl, instead of the band as a whole.

What else did I miss?

Right on dude. Didn't want to repeat a great post. Why people try to rewrite the past to try and back up their point boggles my mind...

Nope,wrong read the interview with the percentage explanation.

Read Duff's book,he admits it was Axl's band.

In case you haven't noticed Guns N' Roses has added more tour dates :lol:

People have. You haven't moved on since you can't except they're hired musicians.

"And every band has a leader,granted not one that owns the name but one that pulls more weight and calls the shots."

That's the difference. That's not some small detail. If the entire band was for something, but Axl against, the band goes against. If you have a problem with them being hired musicians... that's you're problem but don't expect people to pretend these guys are something they're not.

Be sure and notify NIN,VH, and many others that they have fallen into your hired hands red tape.I'm sure this is globally important.

And Check out the added GNR tour dates :monkey:

Listen four minutes and forty five seconds in, he says we split it pretty equal. And this was 1989. So, I think at least in the beginning, they looked at each other pretty equally. Much more than they act now. Illusions seemed to be where it all fell apart, followed by the tour. Great interview all around and lol at Howard Stern bashing him about it. Kinda see what Duff meant about people trying to brainwash Axl. "Well, we're a band..." LOVED that part.

And what EXACTLY did Duff say?

In case you haven't noticed Guns N' Roses has added more tour dates

You mention an interview please provide a link.....

Duff's saying it was Axl's band does not change the fact that it was an equal partnership in the beginning. NuGuns is nothing more then Axl and his band of hired musicians and that is a fact you try to deny but you can't change the truth..

And typical of you to ignore the fact that I exposed your other claims as pure BS...you really should research your "facts" before you post.........

And what exactly does NuGuns adding tour datees have to do with you posting misinformation?

Duff's saying it was Axl's band does not change the fact that it was an equal partnership in the beginning. NuGuns is nothing more then Axl and his band of hired musicians and that is a fact you try to deny but you can't change the truth..

And typical of you to ignore the fact that I exposed your other claims as pure BS...you really should research your "facts" before you post.........

And what exactly does NuGuns adding tour datees have to do with you posting misinformation?

:shrugs:

Give him a minute to pull something out of his ass...or switch to his volcano alter ego.

Listen four minutes and forty five seconds in, he says we split it pretty equal. And this was 1989. So, I think at least in the beginning, they looked at each other pretty equally. Much more than they act now. Illusions seemed to be where it all fell apart, followed by the tour. Great interview all around and lol at Howard Stern bashing him about it. Kinda see what Duff meant about people trying to brainwash Axl. "Well, we're a band..." LOVED that part.

And what EXACTLY did Duff say?

Just Sailaways weak attempt to prove that Axl was a more worthy Gunner then the other ex members..I find it ironic that he and the other Axl fans love to brag about how the current band is the real Guns N Roses becasue Axl owns the name yet can't accpet the fact that the AFD era band were equal partners while the current band is nothing more than a bunch of hired hands who can't even comment on what is going on in the band...you can't have it both ways Sailaway..........

Edited by classicrawker

The name of the band is Guns N' Roses.

Lars story,great I want to hear Jason's story. Basically it boiled down to him not being "allowed" to do a side project and remain in metallica.

Don't see you disputing NIN or Megadeth,there are more but point made.

The first several chapters of Duffs book are out,use Google like I did,I'm not your employee.

It was always Axl's band,and it is now it is called Guns N' Roses.

:shrugs:

Give him a minute to pull something out of his ass...or switch to his volcano alter ego.

Chill Smeagol,read my last post if it doesn't interrupt your Utube concert experience.

Lars story,great I want to hear Jason's story. Basically it boiled down to him not being "allowed" to do a side project and remain in metallica.

Yeah he quit over a dispute with Hetfield over doing side projects but he was not fired just as Izzy, Slash and Duff were not fired from Guns .

Howard specifically asked Lars if Jason was fired and he said that was not true. Jason called a band meeting and quit...but what the fuck would Lars know about it.......... :rofl-lol:

The other "facts" you posted were total bullshit so why should anyone believe you about the percentages. And percentages of what exactly?? I am not doing your work for you...you made a claim now back it up with some citation or STFU and stop spamming the thread with misinformation.......

People have. You haven't moved on since you can't except they're hired musicians.

"And every band has a leader,granted not one that owns the name but one that pulls more weight and calls the shots."

That's the difference. That's not some small detail. If the entire band was for something, but Axl against, the band goes against. If you have a problem with them being hired musicians... that's you're problem but don't expect people to pretend these guys are something they're not.

Be sure and notify NIN,VH, and many others that they have fallen into your hired hands red tape.I'm sure this is globally important.

And Check out the added GNR tour dates :monkey:

I saw those new dates, cool stuff. You and I both know nin is trent reznor. The people who tour with him would be hired hands, ya. I don't care about van galen so I can't comment there. A good comparison is smashingpumpkins, but even that's stretching it because corgan made siamese dream by himself pretty much save the drums and off the top of my head the intro to mayonnaise(?). Yes though, the fans of nu smashing pumpkins are in the vast minority even on sp websites. Ya anyway I don't care about this argument anymore. This shit makes me come across more negative than I am and people on the other side like you overcompensate for axl probably more than you would irl.

During Stevens dismissal it came up how the band was dividing the money.

After deducting 17.5% for mgmt comission Axl described how he and slash had come up with a formula for filing out the rest of the money.

"During preproduction for Appetite he said slash developed a system for figuring out who wrote what parts of a song or part of a song.

There were four categories,I believe,there was lyrics,melody,music,meaning guitar,bass and drums and we split them each into 25% he concluded.When we finished I had 41% for overall takings and other people had different amounts."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do the math guys,one guy making 41% the rest dispursed among four others,who made the most?

----------------------------------

The GNR Wikipedia page tells clearly about Tracii guns being the original lead guitarist,when he got booted his name stayed and only then did Slash step in. Not an original member. It even has a graph so you guys can see pictures of all band members past and present.

---------------------------------------

Duff's book preview is quite interesting,its easy to find,check out his fb page or use Google.He gives a more than generous sample and its free to read the extended sample so you kids don't spend your bubblegum money.

------------------------------------------

This has gone far off base,and probably should be locked or moved.

I have still not heard why GNR musicians are considered "hired hands" while other bands like NIN or Megadeth are also run with one person in charge,You are holding GNR to a different standard.

To the O.P. this IS a band,it is called Guns N' Roses. They are currently headlining RIR and kicking off a growing tour.The former lineup won't be forgotten but Guns N' Roses carries on not in a shadow but in a glow.

I'm a fan and a long time follower.I'm looking forward to what comes next.

Now we are back on topic.

Nope, never. They'll always be in the shadow of the old GNR, the only GNR people recognize. If standing on their own is something Axl is concerned about then he should have used a different name

carry on all you want, people will never think of DJ Ashba or Chris Pitman when somebody says "Guns N' Roses". The old band is cemented in time, the new band is pretty forgettable, sad but true.

A Gnu is a large animal in Africa,don't know what a "nu" is.

Meet BoBo

gnu-7.jpg

Shit I feel bad...didn't mean to insult the gnu :shrugs:

I always pictured him looking more like Smeagol from Lord of the Rings.

I honestly think that some use the term "hired hands",and "nu" to provoke a reaction.I'm up to date with who is in the band so I don't really need the "nu" thrown in to differentiate.

Take note, ladies and gentlemen. MyGNRForum has hit its all-time low.

Do you think
Nu
Guns will eventually become a band that can stand on their own?

Guess it all depends on Axl. He seems to own guns but can't keep a fucking band around. Nu Nu guns doesn't have anything new, Original guns is not coming back. Nu Nu guns can't stand on their own unless Nu Nu guns has "something of their own" to stand on. Atlas shrugged, the general. No idea what they are, but even if I hear them they are "nu" guns songs. So even then... who the fuck knows. Oh my god was good, Better was awesome, madagascar was awesome. There was a time was really awesome. These are all my stupid opinions. Whatever though. Maybe dj ashba with axl song is awesome like Sebastian says. wtf do I know. People like Lady gaga and Kanye west... clearly, I'm missing something. I've heard all of the original GnR stuff and I like it, Ive heard the stuff (cd, nothing else) Axl did with everyone else afterwards as GnR, and, I pretty much like it... I mean, I could do without a few songs off of every gnr album. Out ta get me, Nice boys, My world, half the cover songs off of Spaghetti, half the stuff from Chinese democracy... crap, some other shit too probably. I heard "Better" on the radio the other day and it was great. Sure, sometimes on my mp3 player I may skip certain songs by any artists that I love, but the fact is, I'll change the channel on anything from afd. Appetite is legendary, as is YCBM, and November Rain, but hearing something from CD on the radio makes me feel good. It isnt overplayed. Maybe a good thing.

edit... as for Oh My God being "good", it was surprising and different, and while I wont listen over and over again, I won't skip it either.

Edited by angrybananapeel

carry on all you want, people will never think of DJ Ashba or Chris Pitman when somebody says "Guns N' Roses". The old band is cemented in time, the new band is pretty forgettable, sad but true.

Keep on talking smack,I'm copy-pasting all this needless negativity. This is supposed to be a fan forum. :xmasssanta: