Are Guns' fans spoiled because they're used to EPs, double albums, cover albums, etc being released?

saber_

Are Guns' fans spoiled because they're used to a succession of music at a certain pace? Have we been conditioned? Has the itch to hear more music been re-awakened by Chinese Democracy? Is it not our fault? ; )

I think some are. And then, some aren't. Nonetheless I would just like to submit the comment that it is Guns n Roses' own fault for why fans are jonesing for more Guns n' Roses. Ya dig? Agree or disagree.

I mean, after Appetite we got Lies, a large double album, then a cover album: boom boom boom. Then we got some band member's stuff along with some singles. So you see, I believe that fans' behavior is Pavlovian in many ways. We, as fans, have been conditioned by Guns n Roses itself- to be subconsciously and consciously needing an EP or something in the next year.

What do you think?

Edited by Popcorn's Timbre

We are spoiled because we wanted more than 1 album in a 15 year span?

Yes.

Nah, just playin. What I mean is: Chinese Democracy represents the re-emergence of Guns' n Roses. THEREFORE, it is only AFTER Chinese Democracy was released that we as fans can reasonably expect the same procession of music emanating from the band at the same pace we're used to as Guns n' Roses fans.

So, it would seem that Guns n Roses conditioned their fans back in the day. Subconsciously and even consciously, fans may have perhaps thought that an EP might be released following Chinese Democracy. Do you see what I'm saying now?

Therefore, I am also saying that fans may be spoiled by the previous output because they got excited when CD hit. Ya dig?

I get where you are going for

A lot of it probably has to do with the digital age we live in, artists can put out new singles, EPs, live albums, and itunes sessions online without having a new album. People have the potential to hear a hell of a lot more from an artist because there are so many different avenues to acquire material from

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR
Are Guns' fans spoiled because they're used to EPs, double albums, cover albums, etc being released?

You put this plurally.

But in reality we’ve gotten an EP, a double album, a cover album and a live album. I see no reason why a fan would be delusional enough to see these concepts as a regular fixture of GN’R releases.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Subconsciously and even consciously, fans may have perhaps thought that an EP might be released following Chinese Democracy. Do you see what I'm saying now?

No (a release “system” would not embed to that point). The fans realize release concepts are sporadic and instantaneous (“oh hey let’s do this”).

Furthermore, GN’R ala twentieth century is supposedly a continuation rather than a new beginning.

You put this plurally.

But in reality we’ve gotten an EP, a double album, a cover album and a live album. I see no reason why a fan would be delusional enough to see these concepts as a regular fixture of GN’R releases.

Fans are delusional by their very nature. C'mon now. And of course we're talking about Guns n Roses' fans. They're a different breed than Star Wars fans, whom I'm intimately familar with. Trust me, I used to post on starwars.com. Side note: I defeated the power-abusing mod named fatboy roberts. It was my epic interwebz message board battle with him that caused him to resign. Anyway, I shall paraphrase Bumblefoot: "Oh you gnr people with your fuckin estranged and your fuckin silkworms." ;)

spoiled? *smirk* GNR fans are neglected.

Really, well when I hear Axl's voice, and a wicked guitar solo, and all the instruments in tune, and the rhythm is johnny-on-the-spot, and Frank's drumming is crisp and tight (those little fills in the wttj rehearsal, especially near the end of the song, were awesome), and so anyway when I hear all those things, I don't feel so neglected. =b

Subconsciously and even consciously, fans may have perhaps thought that an EP might be released following Chinese Democracy. Do you see what I'm saying now?

No (a release “system” would not embed to that point). The fans realize release concepts are sporadic and instantaneous (“oh hey let’s do this”).

Furthermore, GN’R ala twentieth century is supposedly a continuation rather than a new beginning.

Wellllllll maybe some of us were sorta kinda hoping history would repeat itself with regard to the sporadic instantaneousness you made reference to. Now I ask you this: Can you honestly not at least partially maybe kinda sorta possibly see CD as a new beginning?

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Fans are delusional by their very nature.

We got one of each album concept (which is not enough to establish an expectation or observe a release pattern).

Wellllllll maybe some of us were sorta kinda hoping history would repeat itself with regard to the sporadic instantaneousness you made reference to. Now I ask you this: Can you honestly not at least partially maybe kinda sorta possibly see CD as a new beginning?

Chinese Democracy was not commercially overwhelming (therefore dabbling with such ideas is not overly likely or plausible).

We can only expect or hope for what Axl expresses as an intention.

Are Guns' fans spoiled because they're used to a succession of music at a certain pace? Have we been conditioned? Has the itch to hear more music been re-awakened by Chinese Democracy? Is it not our fault? ; )

I think some are. And then, some aren't. Nonetheless I would just like to submit the comment that it is Guns n Roses' own fault for why fans are jonesing for more Guns n' Roses. Ya dig? Agree or disagree.

I mean, after Appetite we got Lies, a large double album, then a cover album: boom boom boom. Then we got some band member's stuff along with some singles. So you see, I believe that fans' behavior is Pavlovian in many ways. We, as fans, have been conditioned by Guns n Roses itself- to be subconsciously and consciously needing an EP or something in the next year.

What do you think?

The most a new CD should take is 4 years. Anything longer than that, people get tired of waiting. But pop stars kind of rip off their fans with reissues intended to cash in on their fanbase.

I do think we might see more 7 song CDs, which is a little bit longer than an EP. Lady Gaga "Fame Monster", or the ones lil' Bieber put out. I think Kate Bush has one coming out, where the songs clock in at 10 minutes. I don't see why GNR couldn't or wouldn't do that if they have some finished songs.

the past is instantaneous. but really it was a hell of a wait between AFD and UYI. everyweek checking Kerrang for tidbits (Izzy, Dizzy, Guns Get Busy!!!) then you'd get an awesome interview with Duff called "You either got it, or you Ain't Got what?!?!". But it still took ages, especially if you're waiting.