This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this dreadful performance doesn't put anyone off buying a ticket for the upcoming North American tour. Axl's voice will be awesome by the time he gets here. He was absolutely killer when I saw him in Montreal last year. Let us never speak of this RIR performance again.

you are a fuckin idiot :o

No, he's not. No matter how dreadful Axl sounds at the beginning, he almost always pulls through. He was in top form last year. :) Such a shame he didn't keep that momentum going for tonight. Oh, well. He'll definitely have better performances in the future.

I can't see how this show can be that bad, the set list is pretty good. Estranged added. It's raining and the mix was bad?

AXL was BAD, very BAD! And set list was boring!!! No new songs at all, apart from estranged.

TOUR DE APPETITE ALL OVER AGAIN?

No thanks, I'm out!

Funny how so many refers to the show as either HORRIBLE! or GREAT!, because it was neither. It had some great moments, and too many horrible moments, but all in all it was just average to poor. I guess kids see things in black white. But this, unfortunately, is what we can expect from a tour start. Here's my review:

First off, great to see the start of a new tour so close to the end of the last! But as usual with GN'R, the first show in the tour wasn't very good . It definitely had its good parts, but too many bad parts. The band overall was for the most part good, as far as I could tell from the Youtube stream. Dj jazzed up his solo which was really nice to see, I wish the other members would follow suit, it's getting a bit boring now. Dj also played generally very well, I liked his solos on Estranged. After a run through the crowd on Nightrain it seems his guitar died and he started smashing it, so Bumbles and Richard had to finish the song alone.

Bumbles fumbled on the Welcome solo because he was wearing a stormtrooper helmet that kept falling down so he couldn't see. He seemed frustrated but it was funny to watch. Another nice episode was Axl bringing Beta, her sister and her father out on stage.

Axl struggled a lot in the beginning and throughout the show at some songs. What was a bit discouraging is that he was off key at times. This is not common for him. But for the most part his main problem was getting the raspiness into his voice and sustaining tones. It was uncomfortable listening to him go from a low raspy voice into a thin high voice whenever he needed to belt tones. It wasn't as bad as in 2002, but definitely gave me deja vu. In addition he also forget the lyrics here and there, which obviously bothered him, especially at the end of November Rain where he stopped singing altogether (thanks for Bumbles for pulling the solos off instead). Axl did very well on some songs, though, like Patience, Estranged, Knockin' and even Nightrain. So, all in all, not a good performance by Axl, but sadly this is expected at the first show of a new tour. He'll probably do better in November...

The show wasn't as long as expected, but I guess the extreme downpour (it was hazardous at times) and Axl's voice problems explains that. Musical highlight was definitely Estranged where the whole band, including Axl, did very well. Fantastic to hear an old favourite again, and thanks to the band for listening to the fans' request. I heard the crowd chant 'Coma', so I guess that is the next old-timer the band has to pull out.

So, all in all an average to poor show. If Axl can find back his late 2010 voice then the rest of the tour will be better and there's no reason to not assume that will happen :)

axl's voice was off on some songs spot on on others. just like 2009. forgot some lyrics on some mainly nov rain a disaster is an understatment. estranged was awesome made up for those things for me anyway

No, Axl sounded a lot better in 2009. Also, the setlists were a lot more ambitious, with TWAT, Prostitute, and basically almost all of CD being played bear Riad. 2009 was definitely better and this is another problem. They have toured for a full year and they're coming back, well Axl is coming back, lesser than he was last year. Is it normal? Of course not. It's fucking laziness. I had never ever perceived Guns N' Roses as being possibly lazy. Tonight was the proof Axl is lazy and disrespectful.

Edit: Remember Bumblefoot's comment about being anxious about coming back "lesser than he was before" after his accident? Well he worked the fuck out of himself and he nailed the solos tonight. Axl didn't have any accident as far as I'm concerned and wasn't able to give as much as BBF. This is fucked.

Edited by D..

axl's voice was off on some songs spot on on others. just like 2009. forgot some lyrics on some mainly nov rain a disaster is an understatment. estranged was awesome made up for those things for me anyway

No, Axl sounded a lot better in 2009. Also, the setlists were a lot more ambitious, with TWAT, Prostitute, and basically almost all of CD being played bear Riad. 2009 was definitely better and this is another problem. They have toured for a full year and they're coming back, well Axl is coming back, lesser than he was last year. Is it normal? Of course not. It's fucking laziness. I had never ever perceived Guns N' Roses as being possibly lazy. Tonight was the proof Axl is lazy and disrespectful.

Edit: Remember Bumblefoot's comment about being anxious about coming back "lesser than he was before" after his accident? Well he worked the fuck out of himself and he nailed the solos tonight. Axl didn't have any accident as far as I'm concerned and wasn't able to give as much as BBF. This is fucked.

Take a chill pill.

I can't believe I an saying this, but seeing Axl up there tonight just going through the motions made me question whether I would even want a reunion if we could ever have one, because he just doesn't give a shit. Leaving aside all the "it will never happen" stuff, Today was the first day I found myself thinking I hope it never does.

This was the first time it really hit home he just doesn't care all that much. To be so arrogant as to think you could just show up and play that festival with no practice, no conditioning, no nothing, is simply stunning. I think it gives us a tremendous insight into his commitment to this band and music in general.

I bag on Axl because he just wastes his talent. Pure and simple.

People chalk way too much up to age. Look at Chris Cornell, Bon Jovi, and even Myles.....all guys in their 40's, who still have the same body they did when they were in their 20's. None of them would ever show up miserably out of shape and just mail it in like Axl did tonight on this kind of a stage.

It saddens me deeply that Axl is choosing to age more like Vince Neil than Steven Tyler. At his age you can't keep your body if you don't work at it. Thing is, you can keep it if you work at it. Axl seems to have made his choice though, so not much we can do about it.

Well, ......

That was....... embarrasing. Seeing Axl, out of shape, singing Better, just trying his best to get through the song. Then the heavy rockin part in the middle royally fucked him, he had to come down a key, then takes breaks and let the fans sing.

Sure, he's 50. But so is fucking Jon Bon Jovi and he still gives 200% on tour. Steven Tyler defies his age with his vocal and stage persona.

I just don't know how interested Axl is anymore. Either he is interested, or he isn't, and is just earning a bit of cash. Personally, I just think (other than the odd performance here and there), he just doesn't consistently have it anymore.

That show was horrible. His vocals sucked, the band were decent'ish (they still cant play You Could Be Mine properly), personally I think Axl looked uncomfortable and pretty ridiculous up there, and more importantly - the setlist is tired and done to death.

The writing was on the wall when he clearly didn't rehearse nor travel with the band for this gig.

No reunion - ever. It would suck

LA

I can't see how this show can be that bad, the set list is pretty good. Estranged added. It's raining and the mix was bad?

The fact that Axl sounded aa weak like a late bachelor party at a karaoke bar. And somehow we all new beforehand this would most likely happen, because he does not go to rehearsal. It's the same with every new start of a tour. From the mid till the end of a tour his voice and performance becomes way better. Unfortunately, I think Axl might mistakenly see the 1st shows of a tour as rehearsal....at the fans' expense. What a fucking train-wreck this was. I am so sorry for Dizzy, Tommy, Ron, Richard, Chris, Frank, and Dj. I think it is the most disrespectful thing to do to your band members, to not prepare and not get in shape for such once in a lifetime gig like RIR.

Such a shame he didn't keep that momentum going for tonight. Oh, well. He'll definitely have better performances in the future.

The mainstream audience won't let him the chance. Guns fucked up 3 shows because of Axl's lack of training: RIR III, VMA 2002 and this RIR IV. And those 3 shows are extremely important for any band's career, because everyone are going to see them on youtube or on tv. It's not some obscure show in abu dhabi, it's a mainstream fully broadcasted show. I'm betting good money that this show will affect a lot US tickets sales and rightfully so.

It saddens me deeply that Axl is choosing to age more like Vince Neil than Steven Tyler. At his age you can't keep your body if you don't work at it. Thing is, you can keep it if you work at it. Axl seems to have made his choice though, so not much we can do about it.

Why does this saddens you? I am sure you can find videos and pics of Axl in his 20s to masturbate to.

He could look like Pavarotti for all I care, as long as he can sing. I'd rather he spent his time rehearsing with the band and singing with his coach than running on the threadmill and lifting weights.

Why does this saddens you? I am sure you can find videos and pics of Axl in his 20s to masturbate to.

He could look like Pavarotti for all I care, as long as he can sing. I'd rather he spent his time rehearsing with the band and singing with his coach than running on the threadmill and lifting weights.

You make a great point, it would be even more apt if he had just performed the way we know he can.I couldn't give a fuck how fit he looks if he delivers, plus I'm not sure that mess is anything to do with health, more professional conduct or lack of.

People chalk way too much up to age. Look at Chris Cornell, Bon Jovi, and even Myles.....all guys in their 40's, who still have the same body they did when they were in their 20's. None of them would ever show up miserably out of shape and just mail it in like Axl did tonight on this kind of a stage.

Except that only Myles really sounds great nowadays. Bon Jovi and Chris Cornell have kind of lost it. Which sucks because I adore both of their voices (from their primes).

Such a shame he didn't keep that momentum going for tonight. Oh, well. He'll definitely have better performances in the future.

The mainstream audience won't let him the chance. Guns fucked up 3 shows because of Axl's lack of training: RIR III, VMA 2002 and this RIR IV. And those 3 shows are extremely important for any band's career, because everyone are going to see them on youtube or on tv. It's not some obscure show in abu dhabi, it's a mainstream fully broadcasted show. I'm betting good money that this show will affect a lot US tickets sales and rightfully so.

Realistically, you're probably right. Optimistically, there may be people like my mom who thought ass-backwards and said, "Wow. Axl sounds great, but I think the band is sloppy and way off."

I choose to be optimistic in America's ignorance.

I'd rather he spent his time rehearsing with the band and singing with his coach than running on the threadmill and lifting weights.

He clearly doesn't even do that though

LA

Oh, I think he trains his voice. He did mention having sung Estranged earlier this week, but it is obvious that whatever he do for vocal exercises does NOT prepare him for shows like this. And that's why he gets better and better throughout a tour. Perhaps he would be better prepared if he had rehearsed with the band and had to strain his voice together with the rest of the instruments? I don't know, it doesn't matter now, the rest of the tour will probably and hopefully be better.

I'm kinda disappointed. Sure, show had some really good moments (Estranged, DJ's solo), but overall it wasn't a good performance. I'm Axl Rose no.1 fan, but his voice shape was satisfying only at few songs. The band play really good though.

Edited by MarcoM