GN’R: “We would never seek to intentionally disrespect anyone, especially our fans.”

Guest NGOG

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164490

The publicist for GUNS N' ROSES has released the following official statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET regarding the reports that the band was two hours late in taking the stage at this year's Rock In Rio festival on October 2 in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil:

"GUNS N' ROSES would like to set the record straight on Rock In Rio. The festival's inadequate production and the downpour of rain delayed the event. Anyone who was there knows that SYSTEM OF A DOWN did not leave the stage until close to 1:15 in the morning. SYSTEM's extensive stage production did not finish coming offstage until 1:45 a.m. GN'R's production was up and ready to go at 2:15 a.m. Axl [Rose, GUNS N' ROSES lead singer] got to the venue before 1 a.m. and he came ready to go onstage. The inadequate cover of the Rock In Rio stage caused a further delay when the soundboard went down due to water damage and was replaced as quick as possible. GN'R walked onstage at 2:40 a.m. and played for two-and-a-half hours in the pouring rain. GN'R would never seek to intentionally disrespect anyone, especially their fans."

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164490

The publicist for GUNS N' ROSES has released the following official statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET regarding the reports that the band was two hours late in taking the stage at this year's Rock In Rio festival on October 2 in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil:

"GUNS N' ROSES would like to set the record straight on Rock In Rio. The festival's inadequate production and the downpour of rain delayed the event. Anyone who was there knows that SYSTEM OF A DOWN did not leave the stage until close to 1:15 in the morning. SYSTEM's extensive stage production did not finish coming offstage until 1:45 a.m. GN'R's production was up and ready to go at 2:15 a.m. Axl [Rose, GUNS N' ROSES lead singer] got to the venue before 1 a.m. and he came ready to go onstage. The inadequate cover of the Rock In Rio stage caused a further delay when the soundboard went down due to water damage and was replaced as quick as possible. GN'R walked onstage at 2:40 a.m. and played for two-and-a-half hours in the pouring rain. GN'R would never seek to intentionally disrespect anyone, especially their fans."

So they would have been on time otherwise? The other day they basically explained that they are gonna be late.....

Guns N' Roses

Love it Hate it Accept it Debate it - You want 8 o'clock shows go find F-R-I-E-N-D-S or hit a cinema somewhere.. or you wanna be informed go catch the 10 o'clock news.. this is Rock N' Roll! Treat yourself don't cheat yourself thinking you're gonna go to school or work or whatever you "normally" do the next day. Oh and remember before you get high and never want to come down. "you can have anything you want but you better not take it from me!" This is Guns N'Roses and when the time is right the stage will ignite. Looking forward to sharing that with rockers soon!

So they would have been on time otherwise? The other day they basically explained that they are gonna be late.....

Guns N' Roses

Love it Hate it Accept it Debate it - You want 8 o'clock shows go find F-R-I-E-N-D-S or hit a cinema somewhere.. or you wanna be informed go catch the 10 o'clock news.. this is Rock N' Roll! Treat yourself don't cheat yourself thinking you're gonna go to school or work or whatever you "normally" do the next day. Oh and remember before you get high and never want to come down. "you can have anything you want but you better not take it from me!" This is Guns N'Roses and when the time is right the stage will ignite. Looking forward to sharing that with rockers soon!

Probably because FB is Fernando's personal playground. Why else would GN'R have been posting repeatedly about the fucking women's soccer world cup and specifically Brazil's national team? Well, I guess it is positive that there is actually a publicist involved in some way.

Well, it does make sense considering GN'R stage wasn't set up before the opening band like Metallica's was. Hell, even during that night they had the Slipknot symbol on the stage as well, even during the Motorhead set.

For some reason or another, the GN'R drum riser was not on stage, and add that to the rain and multiple problems that probably caused on the equipment, not the mention SOAD going on longer, thenI really think they have a point here. It wasn't Axl's or the band fault, but it seems nobody takes that into consideration seeing it's Axl Rose and he's "disrespectful."

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

At least the publicist produced a statement both impressive and credible. I appreciate the Twitter and Facebook engaging with the fans but please do not post “raps” opposing the sentiments of a professional PR employed by GN’R for that purpose.

This all wreaks a failure to communicate in terms of agreeing upon a collective outlook on a certain event.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Found this from "another forum."

From a respectable member from GNR-Brasil, who has inside info from Rock in Rio. I know you don't buy the inside shit, but he brought to us that GNR would play in Rock in Rio way before they were announced, told us the date they would play, the date of the announcement, and even the hotel where they were staying.

Check it out:

Yeah guys. just got to know this and I think I should share with everyone.

The problem started when System Of A Down refused to play in the Guns N' Roses stage. Remember on Reading last year when the Guns N' Roses stage was ready since the beggining and all the bands played on their stage? Well, that's was the plan. But System Of A Down refused and only told the production on September 25th. Who was there probably remember the SOAD production getting their stage ready during the other bands concerts, and there was no GNR production on stage until SOAD finished. That's called respect.

Then, the rain problem. The stage was full of water in all the places, Axl's monitor didn't work and Ashba didn't have his ear return during the whole concert. Apart from a lot of equipment that certainly got burned.

On the end of the concert Medina came to talk to Axl and Axl just turned and said: "Don't ever call me to play again." What made Medina get embarassed because there were a lot of people there.

The weird thing is that Medina created a rule that after the concert the whole media should praise the concert. And they all did...

I believe this story.

Did they even see the stage? It was dangerous to get on there, let alone play a show.

To be honest, at one point I thought GN'R wouldn't be coming on at all since it kept raining like that.

I agree, I was getting a little worried when I was on the chatroom that night and there was a lot of people saying "it's pouring rain," than somebody said it's like a monsoon. Then they showed a quick video of the stage on a stream and it was just rain, and you could hear it. The monitors were covered, which probably made it hard for Axl to see the lyrics, the guitar and audio was up and down all night, and to top it off it was raining for the whole set.

Like I said before, if this wasn't Rock In Rio, they probably would've canceled the show. The pretty much had no choice and had to go through with it.

Rio is just not good to Axl I suppose. Remember in 2010 they had to cancel the show in Rio because of the stage collapsing beforehand?

It's highly possible that this is true and it wasn't Guns' fault that they went on so late, but it doesn't make the band look any better when they proceed to go on late for the shows that happened after Rio. It's the fact that they're notorious for going on late - love it or hate it, that's the way it is and always will be until they give people a reason to believe otherwise.

System of a Down played a longer set because they were asked to. The only clown is the Axlhole who appeared 2hrs late and left me in the rain after 14hrs of standing. Anyway, I don't even know why I'm complaining, that was so ROCK N' ROLL.

Mehhhhhhhhhhhh.

You people have trouble COUNTING. 1:30 to 2:30 equals 1 hour.

SOAD ended 00:30. Of course I didn't expect them to take so fast, but still took a long time. I don't even care about the delay, it was expected. What I can't believe is that I waited so long to see wrong lyrics and an amateur singer.

Oh, so I was right. People really DO have trouble COUNTING.

that's immediately contradicted by this:

"Love it Hate it Accept it Debate it — You want 8 o'clock shows go find F-R-I-E-N-D-S or hit a cinema somewhere…or you wanna be informed go catch the 10-o'clock news.. this is Rock N' Roll! Treat yourself don't cheat yourself thinking you're gonna go to school or work or whatever you 'normally' do the next day. Oh and remember before you get high and never want to come down. 'you can have anything you want but you better not take it from me!' This is Guns N’ Roses and when the time is right the stage will ignite. Looking forward to sharing that with rockers soon!"

Bulls**t.

There’s nothing remotely “rock n’ roll” about treating your paying fans with such disrespect, nor is the quality of an artist’s fans based, in any way, on the responsibilities they face in their lives outside of a concert.

This is simply childish, ego-driven, controlling, age-old macho bulls**t posturing by a guy who has so much money that no one will challenge, or question, his stance on the stage timing issue.

Well, almost no one.

Axl can show up on stage when he “has to,” it appears: following the release of the ill-fated “Chinese Democracy,” GNR played four shows in Asia at the end of 2009, and the band hit the stage for each show at pretty reasonable times, as follows:

Dec 11/09 – Taipei County Stadium – Tapei, Taiwan – START @ 8:35 pm

Dec 13/09 – Olympic Arena – Seoul, South Korea – START @ 9:25 pm

Dec 16/09 – Osaka Dome – Osaka, Japan – START @ 9:00 pm

Dec 19/09 – Tokyo Dome – Tokyo, Japan – START @ 6:40 pm

So, why is that all shows since the Asian leg have started ridiculously late? What is it about doing business with the Asian promoters - Taiwanese company Brokers Brothers Herald, Ltd. (BBH), Korea’s All Access Entertainment, and Japanese business Hayashi International Promotion Co. Ltd. (H.I.P.) - that made Axl get on stage well before midnight local time, when he doesn’t do it for anyone else?

Let’s call Axl’s long-running position on concert start times what it really is: unprofessional.

And, by extension, the band members who make up GNR these days, and the promoters who do business with Axl, are guilty by association.

If Live Nation – headed by former GNR manager Irving Azoff - can’t get a contract together with Axl for the upcoming US tour that includes strict guidelines for reasonable start times, and/or heavy financial penalties for not following them, then they, too, should be held responsible to the fans.

But they won’t.

There’s no rocking the boat when everyone involved continues to ride the financial gravy train.

I saw GNR in Toronto in January of 2010; many fans were forced to walk out of the arena around 1:00 a.m. to catch the last bus/subway/train home so they could get to school/work, etc. the next morning. There were no refunds for fans getting an incomplete show because they were responsible people who were forced to leave at a time when the concert should have already been finished; in Toronto’s case, that was around 2:00 a.m. There was almost a 3-hour wait between the last opening band and Axl’s 11:25 p.m. start time…that’s way past absurd.

Since the current tour started, it’s safe to say that more GNR headlines have been about Axl’s disrespect for fans than about the actual quality of the show. Dublin. Reading. Leeds. Remember the reports out of Townsville, Australia last December? The Daily Telegraph attributed the 2-hour “delay” to Axl enjoying a “cool movie in his hotel room and he was digging it.”

And who pays for Rose’s actions? Fans. People who have to get up and go to work, or school, the next day, because that’s what REAL LIFE is all about.

When will the madness stop? Only when fans stop buying tickets to this circus.

While Axl continues living in his fantasy world (does he really think “Friends” is still on at 8:00 p.m.???), there are no penalties for his selfishness, and when people are on Axl’s payroll, you have to believe no one is allowed to question his absurd stance on issues like this one.

In other words, there’s no democracy in Axl’s Chinese Democracy.

Axl should just send a Tweet out around what time he thinks he's going to be on, and add another band in if he wants to play later than usual. All they'd have to do is call around the city they plan on playing in and ask if they want to open.

People wouldn't care if he played at 3AM on a Friday or Saturday, and if he played Las Vegas, fine (as long as they gave re-admission). But Sunday-Thursday? "Calling in sick" isn't an option for a lot of people.

Found this from "another forum."

From a respectable member from GNR-Brasil, who has inside info from Rock in Rio. I know you don't buy the inside shit, but he brought to us that GNR would play in Rock in Rio way before they were announced, told us the date they would play, the date of the announcement, and even the hotel where they were staying.

Check it out:

Yeah guys. just got to know this and I think I should share with everyone.

The problem started when System Of A Down refused to play in the Guns N' Roses stage. Remember on Reading last year when the Guns N' Roses stage was ready since the beggining and all the bands played on their stage? Well, that's was the plan. But System Of A Down refused and only told the production on September 25th. Who was there probably remember the SOAD production getting their stage ready during the other bands concerts, and there was no GNR production on stage until SOAD finished. That's called respect.

Then, the rain problem. The stage was full of water in all the places, Axl's monitor didn't work and Ashba didn't have his ear return during the whole concert. Apart from a lot of equipment that certainly got burned.

On the end of the concert Medina came to talk to Axl and Axl just turned and said: "Don't ever call me to play again." What made Medina get embarassed because there were a lot of people there.

The weird thing is that Medina created a rule that after the concert the whole media should praise the concert. And they all did...

Personally I belive it.

But just to save cupcake's time:

axlcoolstorybro.jpg

Edited by MarcoM