Slash/Myles album update thread - Release Date May 22nd 2012

Naupis

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So last night was Alter Bridge's last night of their UK tour so this should be moving full steam ahead next month...........poor Myles, dude's been living out of a suitcase for nearly 2 years straight, touring, recording, touring and more recording, and yet more touring

Sure it must be tough at times, but really it's when you're not in high demand, that you start to worry...

No shows in Dec. We have a lot to record. Can't do any gigs 'til the record's done. Today was a really great start though. Iii|; )'

Except for 3 songs we recorded, we've been doing pre pro. We have 14 songs left to do. We're performing this record live & analog. Iii|; )'

I'm excited by that, I love the sound of analog records in the digital age.

• 2 weeks later...

Slash Talks New Album: It’s ‘Raw and Spontaneous’

Michael Leonard|12.30.2011Slash has been talking about his new in-progress album. It will feature singer Myles Kennedy for all tracks. After the festive break, Slash and Co. return to the studio to continue recording and mixing the as-yet-unnamed album, and the Les Paul-toting star predicts an April release.

Slash tells Total Guitar magazine, “We’re just going for the one take that sounds good, so my solos are more raw, probably sloppier in a way, because they’re very spontaneous to the point where it’s in the heat of the moment.”

Slash and his band – Kennedy on lead vocals and second guitar, Todd Kerns on bass, and drummer Brent Fitz – have completed mixing three songs with another 14 to go. The album is being recorded live, Slash saying the main challenge is “rehearsing the s--t out of them.”

Of the completed individual songs, Slash says, “There’s one song at this point called ‘Bad Rain’ which is a mid-tempo, very heavy and dark song. It’s in a drop-D tuning – and we’re already playing a half-step down – and the solo has a kinda chromatic feel.

“There’s one very uptempo song with a cool riff called ‘Halo.’ The third song is called ‘Standing in the Sun’ and it’s very melodic, mid-to-uptempo… just a rock ’n’ roll song! All three of these songs are relatively short, they’re all in a rock mold, and I guess I always come from that pentatonic point of view. For me, any time you go too far out of that, it ceases to be rock. It has to have a basis around that, otherwise it no longer has any essence of that Chuck Berry kinda deal.”

Slash says he is “pretty excited” about making such a raw album with “natural tone” everywhere. “Everything is being played live with the music tracks: the solos, everything. We’re trying not to overdub extra bits. So if there’s a solo, I’m playing on one side, Myles’s rhythm track is on the other.”

Myles Kennedy adds that the album is “real stripped-down and simple,” saying his own favorites so far are “Standing in the Sun” and another song called “Far and Away.”

Despite “sharing” singer Kennedy with Alter Bridge, Slash insists, “I’ve been happiest in my career these last couple of years.”

Sounds really great. Cant wait to hear "Bad Rain", sounds like it could be a great track. Sounds like we won't be hearing any long, epic songs from Slash anytime soon. Real shame, but I guess that never was really his sorta thing. April is gonna be one hell of a month!

I read another quote from Slash or Myles that there are a few of the 6 min longish songs on it as well

I found it on the previous page from a different article

Slash is currently working on his next solo album and has announced that Myles will sing all of the songs this time around. During the interview contained on the Made In Stoke bonus DVD, Slash describes that forthcoming album as musically epic, a phrase which he elaborates on. I started writing material for the next record with Myles in mind pretty early on. I just wrote the way that I normally write, but I sort of made allowances for taking things an extra step, just cause I know him. So I built up this arsenal of material and I kept sending it to Myles, and Myles was doing whatever it was that he wanted to do with it; thats the way it went while we were touring. Then we came home and I started working the songs up with Brent (Fitz, drummer) and Todd (Kerns, bassist), and Myles had written stuff on the road while he was in Alter Bridge. He was sending me that stuff and we basically had complete creative license; a chemistry and a certain amount of freedom, so I can just do whatever it is that I feel I want to do and its not restricted. So the album hits a lot of different styles; we have real straight-ahead hard rock songs, and we have what I would call six-minute long journeys, all kinds of stuff and its all aggressive or heavy in its own way, but it really hits a lot of different moods. Weve recorded three songs and were going to start recording the rest of the record in December. Im really excited about the way I dont know how to explain it, but it does a lot of different stuff and it invokes a lot of different feelings. Its very honest and very musical, and were performing it live so its got that certain urgency to it. Its just cool.

I expect this album to be much, much better than Slash. Myles and Slash really have chemistry. What I can't stand is Myles's voice when singing GnR/VR but you can see these two can accomplish a lot together.

yeah, definitely agree with the sentiment that this album will be better than SLash, though I do enjoy Myles singing GnR and VR........that and the continuity of the touring band recording the this album in addition to writing with Myles for a whole album have me really looking forward to this album

Edited by jmapelian

I don't see the name of Bobby Schneck anywhere (or did I miss something?), so he's not part of the new album?

No. I think he will continue to play rhythm when touring, but I think Myles is doing the rhythm guitar on the album from what I can piece together from Slash's comments.

Myles is actually a really good guitar player, so I am really interested to see how they interact on the album.

I don't see the name of Bobby Schneck anywhere (or did I miss something?), so he's not part of the new album?

No. I think he will continue to play rhythm when touring, but I think Myles is doing the rhythm guitar on the album from what I can piece together from Slash's comments.

Myles is actually a really good guitar player, so I am really interested to see how they interact on the album.

I was wondering the same thing about Bobby.

If he is going to be part of the touring band,why not let him play on the album? :shrugs:

I'd be surprised if Bobby doesn't tour with them again. I'm sure they'll be playing GnR, VR and Snakepit stuff again (in addition to stuff from both Slash and the upcoming album) that Myles didn't play on for the last tour and I think slash likes Myles just being the frontman on that material. My guess is they'll work a 3rd guitar part in on the new stuff for Bobby (like AB does for Rise Today when they have a guest like Slash or Nuno joining them and Slash's band did for the same song on tour) and he'll resume his role for the rest of the set. Again, just my guess and I could be completely wrong, but it's a thought.

In fact Myles is better guitarist than Slash, I've seen him playing stuff Slash wouldn't be able to play like kick ass "Brand New Start" solo and other stuff. It's funny that he was pushed a lot by Tremonti to even play guitar in Alter Bridge but he has amazing technique, feel can play monster jazz jams, blues etc. Just watch Guitar Duels with Tremonti. I was big Alter Bridge fan but their stuff is sounding the same - big chorus, big chorus, big chorus and it gets boring. But I think he does marvelous job on "Slash" songs, not big fan of his interpretations of VR/Gn'R. I hope forthcoming CD would be great, "Slash" for me was kind of let down - obvious ripp-off( Doctor Alibi) and some stuff that got boring really fast, I still listen to "By the Sword" , "Promise" and "Back to Cali" the most but only in live versions.

Great news, though I wish he would find someone with a better voice... Myles and that weird kid, Andrew Stockdale, have those strange high pitched voices. Chris Cornell and Kid Rock would be a better choice or, why not? Ryan McCombs, can't believe he left DP and rejoined SOiL.

give him a listen, he's pretty damn good. His solo for AB's Blackbird got voted greatest solo of all time.

exactly , Blackbird is one thing, he played Brand New Start solo one time and it was greatly. And look at those guitar duels with Tremonti - awesome stuff -

I put Myles and Mark in the same list as Zakk Wylde, electrically they aren't that impressive as guitarist, can they shred yes but not really original, everything is repetitive. Listen to AB3, every song sounds similar. But acousticaly Zakk, Myles, Mark are probably some of the best acoustic players around.

So electricaly Slash is the better Guitarist but Acoustically I'd go with Myles as the better player

I can't agree, sure ABIII is repetitive but it is their stuff with those big choruses everywhere, but as far as guitar playing is concerned Myles can blow your head off, he can play badass jazz stuff, those guitar duels showcases his technique, his Blackbird solo is played with great feeling and bluesy vibe, not to mention that Brand New Start solo I can't find right now. From technical point of view he run circles around Slash, Slash may be much better songwriter as far as riffs, solos etc go but better guitar player - no way.