DJ Ashba "we have planned more tours and stuff"

bumblecool

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"My whole thing is I'm not coming in to this to try to replace anybody. I am my own person. I want to do what I can to do the job justice. I'm a fan of the band, too. I'm trying to give the crowd what I would want to hear if I was standing in the crowd if some new guy was on stage. I don't want to sway too hard off the original vision. People come out to hear those old songs, and they're classics. They take you back to certain memories in life. I'm trying to stay as true to those parts as I possibly can on this stuff."

This is why they won't "double the amount of CD songs" on this tour, or any tour...DJ gets it, not sure why some of the fans on this board don't... :shrugs:

Good article. Wasn't really sure how I felt about him when he first joined the band, but I'm comin around...he's got a cool swagger, but being a huge Slash fan, I can't help but draw comparisons, and I can completely see how some casual fans see him as a "Slash wannabe". He does do the songs justice though, old and new.

After seeing him live, he's a great showman and interacts with the crowd way better than Slash did when I saw him live. (Not that I'm trying to drag Slash into this)

but in a very tryhard way. It all looks very rehearsed/put-on....

and theatrical. It never looks spontaneous.

After seeing him live, he's a great showman and interacts with the crowd way better than Slash did when I saw him live. (Not that I'm trying to drag Slash into this)

but in a very tryhard way. It all looks very rehearsed/put-on.

Hands down WINNER of the dumbass post of the day award.

392044_287786154576856_196386010383538_978476_1997007664_n.jpg

Rehearsed with a doll at home...

Edited by bumblecool

392044_287786154576856_196386010383538_978476_1997007664_n.jpg

Rehearsed with a doll at home...

Depends what kind of doll.

"My whole thing is I'm not coming in to this to try to replace anybody. I am my own person. I want to do what I can to do the job justice. I'm a fan of the band, too. I'm trying to give the crowd what I would want to hear if I was standing in the crowd if some new guy was on stage. I don't want to sway too hard off the original vision. People come out to hear those old songs, and they're classics. They take you back to certain memories in life. I'm trying to stay as true to those parts as I possibly can on this stuff."

This is why they won't "double the amount of CD songs" on this tour, or any tour...DJ gets it, not sure why some of the fans on this board don't... :shrugs:

You're so wrong. Axl told Bucket and Robin when they joined very specifically that setlists would consist of largely new material with a few oldies thrown in for good measure. Obviously over the last 10 years for so many reasons things have devolved to what we have today but back in 2001 the plan was very much to take over the world with a new band with new music. Robin and Bucket had no intention of touring in support of an album that came out in 1987 and when it came time to tour in 2002 Axl had to convince them to do that first 'world tour' pre-album release to get the fans and public familiar and comfortable with the new band by playing a set of oldies with a few new songs thrown in. What Axl told us at the Docklands was what he'd told Bucket and Robin: we got albums ready to go, i'm already planning the third, there's gonna be extra tracks. In his 2002 press release he implied the point of the tour was to get the new band over. But a few years later and the only two people who really wanted to go places musically with Axl and forge ahead left because they didn't wanna spend a decade being a greatest hits jukebox for a dead band whilst the music they'd put to bed years earlier stayed in limbo.

Things didn't have to be the way they are now. Had Bucket not left before Rio 4 and had the record come soon after with full label support then we could be on record 2 now with arenas full of kids singing along to the new stuff. But now Axl has no choice but to play Jungle, Brownstone and SO Easy in the same order as Rio 3 in 2001 because otherwise ain't nobody gonna go.

Edited by Jordan Rose

It's very simple to me. Appetite's success = why GNR is where they are today. WTTJ, ISE, PC, SCOM, Nightrain, Rocket Queen...those songs are what made them a household name. You will never see a GNR tour without AFD songs. It's almost offensive to even think of it.

Would the current U.S. tour been a succes without the Appetite songs? That's how you promote a new band, with songs of the original band. :thumbsup:

this is getting silly. They currently play a 3 hour show that covers the main part of AFD and most of CD, plus a bit of middle era. They are in no way a nostalgia act, they just play a fucking long show that allows them to play tonnes of old stuff.

Them and US are very lucky

:rofl-lol: I wonder if he didn't wear a top hat like Slash (and Marc Bolan and Alice Cooper, BTW) and play lead guitar in Guns N' Roses if people would think that.

Ali

Gee, it's hard to see why these threads devolve...

yeah this thread has de-railed...I'll just say those of you who think a GNR tour with no AFD songs would be a success, or draw the same numbers this one is, are fooling yourselves...I like CD a lot...don't love it, but I like pretty much every song. The casual fan does not. Period. It doesn't sound enough like "classic GNR" which is what probably 75% of the fans at each show want.

Edited by DrBrownstone