DJ Ashba "we have planned more tours and stuff"

bumblecool

This is why they won't "double the amount of CD songs" on this tour, or any tour...DJ gets it, not sure why some of the fans on this board don't... :shrugs:

He gets what exactly? that this current band is just a covers band of 80-90's GNR? what are you trying to say.

It never was Axl's vision to ride on the coat tails of what once was. his idea was to bring on something cool and new.

Label them whatever you want.

Rock n roll isn't about labels and names. It is about songs and music. It's about albums and live performances.

When I go to a show its for live music. The name of the band, who is in the band, who used to be in the band, what the band is wearing, etc......only clowns care about all that stuff instead of the actual music being performed.

So you know better than Axl about what HE wants to do? Uh, ok. Axl is doing what he wants, and is having a blast every show. If you don't enjoy the music, go find a band that meets your requirements.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why they won't "double the amount of CD songs" on this tour, or any tour...DJ gets it, not sure why some of the fans on this board don't... :shrugs:

He gets what exactly? that this current band is just a covers band of 80-90's GNR? what are you trying to say.

It never was Axl's vision to ride on the coat tails of what once was. his idea was to bring on something cool and new.

Rock n roll isn't about labels and names. It is about songs and music. It's about albums and live performances.

When I go to a show its for live music. The name of the band, who is in the band, who used to be in the band, what the band is wearing, etc......only clowns care about all that stuff instead of the actual music being performed.

So you know better than Axl about what HE wants to do? Uh, ok. Axl is doing what he wants, and is having a blast every show. If you don't enjoy the music, go find a band that meets your requirements.

Where did you get the impression that he wasn't enjoying the music? If anything, he wants the band to progress into more new music

Any time someone is going up on a stage, how they look is part of what makes a band, but there have been times when the look mattered far more than the music, and they won't last if they don't have the talent (or an army of people working for you) to back it up.

Most of GNR had & have nicknames... it's part of their image.

I think as far as new music goes, the expectations from the fanbase aren't as high as they were with Chinese Democracy, so the pressure as far as I'm concerned is off. I think the next batch of songs are going to be a little bit more "live" sounding.

I think that's the most important thing, is to just let the artist create something they feel good about. Maybe not perfect, but it's like what Bob Dylan said about his output in the 60s, it was something captured in that moment, and if he wanted to mess around with it, he'd do it at the shows. He doesn't feel the need to stay faithful to the original. But of course that frustrates people.

It's very simple to me. Appetite's success = why GNR is where they are today. WTTJ, ISE, PC, SCOM, Nightrain, Rocket Queen...those songs are what made them a household name. You will never see a GNR tour without AFD songs. It's almost offensive to even think of it.

As usual these rules only apply to Axl Rose for some reason. Iron Maiden toured stadiums and arenas all over the world including America in 2006 playing their new album in its entirety with a few oldies chucked in at the end. Jovi often play a set without Wanted, Prayer and Bad Name.

What Axl's doing isn't all bad and there is a point to it and it works for 95% of the people at a show who don't care about the new band or new songs. But that doesn't mean you have to play Jungle, Brownstone, So Easy in the same order every night and have to be hounded by your band members for years to drag out Don't Cry and Estranged. A lot of people in the audience will have heard Illusions. Would it kill him to chuck in the odd Locomotive?

dude, you are flaming me completely randomly on stuff I didn't even think.

If you read the bit that I quoted and put it into context, it is essentially this one douche there, who had real huge hard on to say something negative about some random group of forum posters he views as his enemies or something. And he was trying to hide behind what DJ said, really hard again. He also failed quite hard.

In not stating his actual opinion he ended up *defending* the much berated view of this band turning into a 80-90's GNR-covers band. what he ended up putting out there was that "DJ gets being a slash replacement and is happy to play the old songs to the old people who used to like this when they were young." and again, he just ended up taking this view, what he really wanted was to get to say something negative about other forum posters.

axl wanted this new guns to be its own thing, not a covers band. I dont have to debate you on this, just go through what the redhaired one has said on the subject and attack that stuff instead of me if you really want to pick a fight. :D

Dreazle....why do you care? Don't like the current band, don't like Axl, don't like the set-list....then why are you here?

Why does the current success of GnR bother you so much?

Nobody cares if you love Axl or slash. Music is subjective. But its odd that with so much negativity, why u choose to come here?

Why not spend time on a forum of a band that brings u joy and happiness?

The answers in this thread show how crazy it is for Axl.

One person says they need to stop playing old songs.....the next person says they love the old songs.

No matter what the band does, some people will whine and cry.

Guys like dreazle will never be happy. They feed on negativity and bashing Axl and the new band.

As an old fan it hurts me to see how this band takes advantage of the classic songs while non of the members (minus Axl) has any affection with them. My respect for this band will only grow if they lay aside these songs and start to focus on the new songs. They have enough music to fill at least 3 albums (according to Tommy, Axl,...) so why are they not performing some of these songs at the live shows? Isn't that something we are all waitin' for? If they want this band to be known as the new Guns N' Roses they have to move on and start to promote this band as the new G N' R.

Dreazle....why do you care? Don't like the current band, don't like Axl, don't like the set-list....then why are you here?

Why does the current success of GnR bother you so much?

Nobody cares if you love Axl or slash. Music is subjective. But its odd that with so much negativity, why u choose to come here?

Why not spend time on a forum of a band that brings u joy and happiness?

The answers in this thread show how crazy it is for Axl.

One person says they need to stop playing old songs.....the next person says they love the old songs.

No matter what the band does, some people will whine and cry.

Guys like dreazle will never be happy. They feed on negativity and bashing Axl and the new band.

As an old fan it hurts me to see how this band takes advantage of the classic songs while non of the members (minus Axl) has any affection with them. My respect for this band will only grow if they lay aside these songs and start to focus on the new songs. They have enough music to fill at least 3 albums (according to Tommy, Axl,...) so why are they not performing some of these songs at the live shows? Isn't that something we are all waitin' for? If they want this band to be known as the new Guns N' Roses they have to move on and start to promote this band as the new G N' R.

I agree to a certain extent. The Nu band is incredibly talented, but it does suck at times, remembering that this isn't really the same band that paved their way to the success they have today. Of course I never want them to stop playing the classics altogether, because it's just not the same with anybody but Axl singing them, but when does the line get drawn?

When can this band break free of the heavy reliance of covers, and show they don't just need to play songs of yesteryear to fill in seats. Call me a hater, basher, or negative, but that's a pretty hard point to dispute at this point. Sure, the potential's there, but it hasn't been fulfilled yet. The band plays 4-6 songs that the classic band had nothing to do with, despite being a band for twice as long. They're currently (and I'm emphasizing currently, as the future is still wide open) just a nostalgia act, a GREAT one at that, but still just a cover band. They have yet to really show they can pack the same punch in the studio like they do live with the classic material.

:thumbsup: