Embrace the future

mustaine

I've grown increasingly annoyed at some of the comments on this board. The old band vs. new band and The Slash vs. everybody else who dares to play a guitar with GN'R thing is getting plain stupid.

Why do people think that this is a competition? The old band played the songs their way and it was great and the new band is doing it their own way and it sounds great as well. This isn't a competition. Slash is great and all that but move on already, he's gone and doing his own thing. I don't get this being a Axl fan vs. being a Slash fan. Both are great, both are part of the original GN'R lineup and contributed heavily to the bands success along with Izzy, Duff and Steven. Only one of those guys remain and now we have other guys playing old songs, they won't sound the same but different doesn't make it worse. The "new" guys sound incredibly tight and do a wonderful job of doing the old songs justice. The new stuff sounds awesome as well. The current lineup seems like a proper band as well, they have fun playing together and seem to be good friends.

Axl looks like he's very happy with his current lineup, they have toured all over the world with success and the US audience is finally coming around. Hopefully we'll see a new release from GN'R soon. Having said that. Slash, Duff and Izzy also seem to be very happy in what they're doing and that's the most important thing. Hopefully Steven is happy is well. I personally don't care if a reunion ever happens, we have all the old albums, dvd's and bootlegs to relive the old days. Why can't we just all look forward to the future for what it is? It doesn't matter how much fans complain about all the stuff in GN'R-World, it won't change a thing. Axl will keep doing his thing and the others will as well.

Like it or not, Guns N' Roses is Axl, Bumblefoot, DJ, Fortus, Tommy, Dizzy, Chris and Frank. They do a damn fine job of representing GN'R around the world, they give it their all and for that they deserve a hand. It can't be the most easy gig in the world with all the bitching and moaning that surrounds GN'R.

Bottom line is this... living in the past, trying to belittle past or current members of the band, bitching, moaning and attacking other fans because they don't share your views (whatever side you're on) is plain childish. Try to celebrate the past and embrace the future.

Edited by mustaine

I think it goes both ways. I agree with the notion that people need to stop the Slash vs. Whoever else arguments regardless of who is on what side. But there are also people who feel the need to defend the new guys by bashing Slash, just as the people who like Slash feel the need to bash the new guys. Everyone just needs to respect each others views and engage in discussion instead of "Slash sucks and Ron plays everything better" "no fuck you BBF sucks" etc.

The main problem is that all the "Reunionists" can't shut up about it. They continually come onto the GNR message boards to bitch about Axl still using the name, how much better it would be if a reunion happened, etc. The shit gets old. I think most of the negative comments about Slash are reactionary; the "Reunionists" are almost relentlessly pro Slash and bash Axl, so people who are still fans of GNR despite the lineup changes fire back with negative comments about Slash.

These people act like Axl is ruining their lives/dreams by continuing to use the name GNR and by not giving them the reunion they want. It's pretty pathetic. You'd think they'd get over it eventually. It would be best if the people who want a reunion kept their bitching/moaning in the proper sections of the forums and it wouldn't be as big a deal. But they love to come to the sections of the boards dedicated to the current happenings in GNR and stir up shit. It is what it is; it's not going to change, unfortunately.

Edited by shotgunblues1978

Taking the positives out of all the past vs present members crap is that's we have had Old guns material, VR albums, CD, Loaded, izzy, and Gilby albums and many more concerts and gigs to see. More than we could have expected.

I agree with the above, people need to chill and enjoy the music as could have been worse

I've grown increasingly annoyed at some of the comments on this board. The old band vs. new band and The Slash vs. everybody else who dares to play a guitar with GN'R thing is getting plain stupid.

Until Slash is back in GNR, there will be people wanting a reunion and comparing Slash's abilities to anyone else who has taken his spot. It will never end. Just learn to ignore it and not let it get to you. Life's too short to be upset about something you can't control.

why do people feel like it is their right to tell others how to be a fan.

Why do people feel like it is their right to tell Axl Rose (or anyone else) who he should perform with, what he should call his own band, etc?

well i don't know, maybe cause they pay for the tickets, buy the albums, and spend money on the merchandise.

just a guess.

Why do people feel like it is their right to tell Axl Rose (or anyone else) who he should perform with, what he should call his own band, etc?

well i don't know, maybe cause they pay for the tickets, buy the albums, and spend money on the merchandise.

just a guess.

Terrible answer. It doesn't even make sense.

just a guess.

Terrible answer. It doesn't even make sense.

with sunny we don't even know if that is HIS answer LOL

The main problem is that all the "Reunionists" can't shut up about it. They continually come onto the GNR message boards to bitch about Axl still using the name, how much better it would be if a reunion happened, etc. The shit gets old. I think most of the negative comments about Slash are reactionary; the "Reunionists" are almost relentlessly pro Slash and bash Axl, so people who are still fans of GNR despite the lineup changes fire back with negative comments about Slash.

These people act like Axl is ruining their lives/dreams by continuing to use the name GNR and by not giving them the reunion they want. It's pretty pathetic. You'd think they'd get over it eventually. It would be best if the people who want a reunion kept their bitching/moaning in the proper sections of the forums and it wouldn't be as big a deal. But they love to come to the sections of the boards dedicated to the current happenings in GNR and stir up shit. It is what it is; it's not going to change, unfortunately.

Really?

Let me ask you this again, and this time - think before you retort with any goofy-ass Internet verbage like "cupcake", and "hater", or whatever else the socially retarded have armed themselves with to win logical fallacies on the Internet.

Really?

I totally feel you if it were 2011, and Axl hadn't jammed with Izzy, and Duff in the past 5 years. Or had he not hung out with Matt, and Stephen in the past 5.

But he did.

And Axl even teased the Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame last night. He is not against the idea of playing with Slash.

Mind you - Axl's current incarnation is technically proficient, humble, and seemingly good at their jobs. On all accounts, they're likable human beings. But they do not capture even 1/10th of what the original band captured. If the Chinese Democracy Era is as awesome as the diehards claim - why are we down to only a handful of Chinese songs a night? And why does Appetite still dominate every setlist since 2001? Think about it. Marinate the possibility that maybe "reunionists" aren't the irrational human beings around here. Maybe it's people who join a band forum because of songs like "Sweet Child O' Mine", and "Patience" - then later defame the musicians that got them ONTO the GN'R bandwagon in the first place?

Like I said - I like Axl's cadre. There are some infectious melodies, and mind-blowing parts on Chinese Democracy - but it's comes across megalomaniacal, and unrealizable to others. Who, here, has ever owned a mansion in Beverly Hills, had a supermodel girlfriend who left you for a billionaire tycoon, and had a cataclysmically successful band - to which disbanded leaving emotional wounds that never fully healed?

Likewise, who, here, has ever done a coke bender, fucked a girl for 3 days straight on the high, and inevitably wound up drunk, amnesic, and in a drunk fight?

You see why reunion talks are more noteworthy than the Chinese Democracy Era?

The original band will reunite. Question is when. A lot of people will call that crazily speculative - but contend how Pink Floyd*, Led Zeppelin*, Aerosmith, The Fugees, and Van Halen* all reunited. There's wishful thinking, and there's inevitabilities. This one falls into the latter. All five dudes are alive, and still active musicians. They still hang out, jam, and the only real beef is between Axl, and Slash. Say what ya will, but 10 years ago - Axl wasn't talking to anybody, and now Duff's band is opening for 'em.

*Exc. insanity, death, or the odd progeny.

just a guess.

sorry that's not how it works. you have the right to not pay for tickets if you don't like something and you have the right to bitch. However, thinking that you can tell someone who to spend their time with is quite literally insane.

Axl Rose made a decision when he, and Dizzy co-opted the GN'R name with seven other musicians. It's false advertising, in my opinion (and millions of others' opinions.) Though I'm sure if Slash had the option - he would have done the same thing. It still doesn't validate the choice.

This.