Rolling Stones

dalsh327

This is a great thing they're doing, releasing all this stuff.

But personally, I'm only interested in the previously unheard songs.

I was pretty excited hearing they're doing the "legal bootleg" thing, even though the actual tape is pulled from their archives, and they're not mixing an audience recording.

It seems like they built the website to put a bunch of live and unreleased stuff out that won't have the same level of promotion as the Deluxe Editions have. I think it's cool they re-recorded for Exile and Some Girls, because they're pretty much new songs, but with the spirit of that era intact. I doubt they're going to do that many more, even though from Beggars Banquet to Sticky Fingers, there's still a bunch of unreleased songs and alternate versions. So they'll either be part of Deluxe Editions, or an album in itself.

They haven't even started working on the Brian Jones era... now with Universal having control over the whole catalog, and Allen Klein no longer running the business, will just be handled by others. There's things like BBC sessions,more demos/outtakes, and a likely mono box set.

Acording to the website this show is from master tapes mixed under the supervision of the Stones so I am willing to bet it blows away the bootlegs which are actually excellent in their own right.

I am a hue Stones fan and this show is one of the holy Grails and is one of the most bootlegged Stones shows of alltime so for us it is very exciting to finally get an offical professionally mixed version.

Stones fan have been waiting a long time for them to finally open the vaults and have to say they have been giving us some incredible stuff in the last 2-3 years...

My Holy Grail would be a complete professionally mixed audio show from the 69 U.S. Tour with more proshot footage from that tour.

Evidently many of the shows were profesionally recorded for the "Get Your Ya Ya's Out" live album and video taped by the Maysles Brothers, for the Gimme Shelter Tour Documentary, so there is plenty of prorecorded audio and video somewhere.

Glad they finally started releasing this stuff while the older fans are young enough to care.........

I think the 1969 show will be "Live'r Than You'll Ever Be" when it's time. It's the Oakland concert, and one of the first bootlegged Stones albums like Dylan's "Great White Wonder" and The Beatles' "Kum Back".. the original vinyl are collectors items. So I'm sure that has to be on the list, because it even got a review in Rolling Stone. And director Wim Wenders even reviewed it at the time. Supposedly the Stones put out "Get Yer Ya Yas Out " because of it. They did a matinee and late show, so that one's likely to come out.

Hyde Park will prob. get a legit release, too, which is also the first show Mick Taylor played with them, but it's an easy to find one. Leeds will also prob. get released, Perth 1973 is also a favorite of bootleggers.

There's some live Brian Jones era shows that need to be out, and prob. Perth & Sydney 1973 will be released, because that's been a favorite among traders, but I don't think there's a complete show of either one, and the Stones have it.

The Black and Blue tour might be a tough one, but they'd prob. use the Paris 1976 show.

They need to release more stuff from the Mick Taylor era.

If the Stones are going to be touring, they're talking about doing the classic albums live, so I'm hoping Taylor & Wyman are taking part in it. If the Exile reissue, Wyman playing on Stu's tribute "Watching The River Flow", and this show is a sign of things to come, cross your fingers. It will sell out fast. The "Brussels Affair" is Mick Taylor era & a real good one. There's prob. a few more from that era I could see being released.

Someone posted the whole Marquee show from '71 on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gf-CXBCfhY&feature=related

I'd love to see Bill Wyman back in the band and Mick Taylor do a couple songs. It all depends on Jagger agreeing to do a show again. I am surprised they have been together for so long. Those two had so many fallouts. I'm also amazed the turnout of their shows. They've been around for almost 50 years and they can still fill arenas.

Edited by BirdCatcher

I'd love to see Bill Wyman back in the band and Mick Taylor do a couple songs. It all depends on Jagger agreeing to do a show again. I am surprised they have been together for so long. Those two had so many fallouts. I'm also amazed the turnout of their shows. They've been around for almost 50 years and they can still fill arenas.

Just my opinoin but if and when they tour I think Wyman and Taylor will do guest spots..............Mick and Keef realize they make better music together then solo..Mick's ego got the best of him and he tried the solo route in the 80's thinking he was bigger than the Stones and failed miserably and I think he realized he was not going to do better than the Stones...they are like an old married couple who fight like cats and dogs but have an unbreakable bond..........If they tour it will be the biggest of the year and selllout arenas and Stadiums if they do a full blown tour as this really could be the last time for them........

I don't think it was a matter of Mick thinking he was bigger than the Stones, but he wanted to put some pop music out. After 20 years, it made sense.

They should do what Michael Jackson was going to: a really long run at the O2 in London.

That's prob. on the table. They sound like they want to hit America first from what came out of the interview, and then hit the other countries.

If there's no new music, they're prob. be doing more obscure songs and the full length albums.

Also, 2012 Olympics next summer in London. I'm sure there's going to be talk about them playing.

I have to admit, I'd love to see Keith Richards jogging with a torch, and then light his cigarette with it as he passes it on to the next guy.

When Michael announced that show, I went "'dead man walking', he's got so many pills in him that his f-ing heart's going to explode." He wanted to beat Prince's record, and thinking of a 50 year old guy trying to move like he's still in his 20s, knowing full well he took some hardcore meds, and all the debt he was in,wouldn't be surprised if he's on Marlon Brando's island getting fat and living off of coconuts. I remember reading about Brando willing Michael a piece of the island, and thought that he could just do a Salinger if he wanted. He prob. didn't want to grow old in public, and he's bought everything he could possibly want.

Someone with an insane amount of money can disappear, and just have Brando's son keep tabs on things. He also had enough money to have plastic surgeons doctor someone up to fake his death.

Just my opinoin but if and when they tour I think Wyman and Taylor will do guest spots..............Mick and Keef realize they make better music together then solo..Mick's ego got the best of him and he tried the solo route in the 80's thinking he was bigger than the Stones and failed miserably and I think he realized he was not going to do better than the Stones...they are like an old married couple who fight like cats and dogs but have an unbreakable bond..........If they tour it will be the biggest of the year and selllout arenas and Stadiums if they do a full blown tour as this really could be the last time for them........

I don't think it was a matter of Mick thinking he was bigger than the Stones, but he wanted to put some pop music out. After 20 years, it made sense.

In Keef's book he mentions that during the 81 tour the band was suddenly being billed as Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones. Keef stated that the only way that would happen is if it came from Mick and he put a stop to it...I have also read other books about the Stones which implied that Mick started to think he was the most important member of the band by the 81 tour and wanted to do his own thing so it is not out of the realm of possibility...................

Midlife crisis, Charlie's drug abuse, Keith reminding Mick that they're a band (and Charlie, too... the "where's my drummer" incident). I don't think Mick was that confident in his solo career - people made jokes about it and he only did a short tour of Japan.

Guest Len B'stard

Apparently, according to Rolling Stone and NME, The Stones are "near a desicion" on the 50th anniversary shows and that the boys are gonna be playing together, as in rehearsing and what have you, sometime this month or next month.

And whats wrong with Hyde Park? It's a bit rough and ready but it's The Stones, its sort of meant to be isn't it? I guess i see what you mean but...i think songs sound better like that :) A bit skrunky sounding. And why would they not release it in America if they have over here? It's been out here for ages, it's one of the first Stones DVDs i bought, probably THE first actually.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

I've never seen The Stones look sound play or anything better than that Ladies & Gentleman The Rolling Stones DVD...i often wonder how it must feel as a musician to get THAT perfect cuz...there's really nowhere to go after that, they were just bang on their fuckin game. And trust me, England is shit as far as like, record stores and what have you and have decent music available. At the moment in my town, which is just outside London so it ain't like it's way out in the sticks, there's one fuckin record store and it's a HMV and i bet you if you went in there and looked under The Stones section where the DVDs are you'd find like, Hyde Park, possibly Rock n Roll Circus and like...a bunch of crappy hour long talking head documentarys with "no original music", it's fuckin ridiculous over here, i hear you lot are loving it in that regard, i mean i don't know fuck all about America but aren't your fuckin record stores like....HUGE sprawling fucking things, stocked to the fucking roof where you can find everything from like, Big Black to Rebecca Black and all in between, open 24 hours a day. Ain't nothing like that over here. If you wanna find anything even vaguely obscure you gotta get the 20 minute train into London and go down Oxford Street or something.

I think Hyde Park would get released only because it's been bootlegged so much, it's like Rock and Roll Circus - more for historical reasons.

The Hyde Park video has been available in Europe on DVD for years now and I got a region free copy from Argentina years ago. As Stones fan it is enjoyable to watch but it is a trainwreck of a performance so, while I agree it is historically important, I can't see the Stones ever releasing this officially here in the U.S..

Personally I would rather see them release the complete video and audio for the Altamont concert as it is a much better performance and there is lots of evidence that the complete proshot video and audio exists for that show but I think there is even less of a chance of that getting official release then Hyde Park as it is much too painful for the Stones considering what happened.

I am hoping that we will evetntually get some of the Maysles Brothers 1969 proshot video and audio in some official release form...A complete video of the 69 MSG shows we got clips of in the Gimme Shelter film would be my Holy Grail......or finally get a 72 tour properly mixed pro-audio show as they recorded a bunch of shows to do a live album but couldn't due to legal issues with their ex-manager Allen Klein who owned the rights to the old songs.................

Hey I would take any official release of old material as beggars can't be choosers but I can always dream..... rock4

A documentary containing live footage isn't the same as a concert performance, so hopefully they'll release the MSG shows. They prob. had been edited, mixed, and in the vaults. The full Altamont show could be released, it was edited and put together, but it's too ghoulish to think about the band or directors revisiting it.

I think they've fixed the problem on the Stonesarchive.com site on buying Brussels Affair, but the Google Music banner ad is also a way to get it.

Don Was mentioned the possibility of more deluxe editions recently - with Jagger reworking the songs on Exile & Some Girls, there's "new" songs for for them to do live, no diff. than Springsteen doing some of the "Tracks" cuts live.

Don prob. already figured out which albums, which songs, and said there's enough to put bonus stuff out for each album for another 50 years. He mentioned Sticky Fingers though, and with those "lost" photo sessions that came out, sounds pretty likely that we'll be hearing about it very soon, and maybe that Marquee vid I posted will be released with it. But some of those outtakes became part of Exile, so not sure what Don's heard other than alternate takes.

I finally listened to the 2011 Some Girls. I honestly hear no difference between the original and remaster (then again, my hearing is not very good). Ok maybe the vocals are a bit higher? I don't know... :shrugs:

As for the second disc, the songs are good. Not as good as the album tracks for the most part. I can see why they discarded them in favour of those that made it. Still, We Had It All is one of Keith's best, although I don't think it would have fit the album. I'm gonna have to listen to the tracks again before I form a proper opinion.