Current GNR GA crowds?

gunsfanoldie

Hi all. I'm new here but have been lurking for quite awhile. I'm finally getting to see GNR in a few weeks at Camden and I had a question for everybody that could help about the crowds:

I'm going with a few friends and (against my wishes) they got GA tickets as opposed to seats for the show. While I'm not thrilled to be standing from probably 5 pm until midnight or whenever Axl is ready to go onstage, I was just wondering about the crowd movement/violence, etc. I've been to shows where the GA is really into the music but they don't punch and mosh around, and I've been to shows where there are people that make it violent for everyone. I have no problems getting into the music and jumping up and down, but I really hate it when the crowd just starts moshing and punching around and would hate it if this prevents me from being close to the stage. I've heard that since its 2011 I'm dreaming if I think the show is going to be violent (because the fans are older) although a GNR show is still a GNR show so I think it could be a possibility.

Funnily enough, the best example I have is when I saw Slash at a standing room only show last year. Obviously the crowd had to stand and I was about 5 people deep, but the whole crowd was just into the music the whole time and not moshing and pushing around. The only time moshing started was during Paradise City, which I guess is understandable, and for 10 minutes or so I had to deal with it. But for a 3 hour show after standing all day it just seems like a lot to take.

So does anyone have any info they might be able to share? I hate to make it sound like I'm complaining, and I guess I am, but I'm really just trying to know what to be prepared for. I'm ecstatic to finally be seeing GNR and in the GA area will be awesome as I'd love to rock out and get into the music in my own space. I just hate when the crowds turn violent and mosh so I was wondering what was "standard" at the most recent shows.

I wish I had bought GA tickets instead of a seat. Thought about selling and re-buying but I figured it isn't worth the hassle.

As long as you don't interact with the drunks, they're shouldn't be a problem. Just mind your own business and things will be fine. If the band throws stuff out to the crowd, then a fight might break out over who gets it.

Dude, there is no way to expect people to just stand up a watch the concert like they're on headphones. People ARE gonna go nuts, you better do it too, it'd be better for you. In the US people at least give other people room to breathe. You should have seen RiR. There were no people there, just 'the mass'.

Dude, there is no way to expect people to just stand up a watch the concert like they're on headphones. People ARE gonna go nuts, you better do it too, it'd be better for you. In the US people at least give other people room to breathe. You should have seen RiR. There were no people there, just 'the mass'.

Thats fine. I don't have a problem with getting into the music. I go to concerts all the time, I just hate the sometimes violent nature that happens and as someone thats not a huge tough guy, I just get a bit nervous about getting hurt. I can hold my own and I'll be among friends but since its not a club show I'm always curious about the crowd. For bigger arena shows, the crowds could go absolutely insane or be a bit distilled for one reason or another. For example, I saw Foo Fighters in the pit the other night and I figured the crowd would be much more insane. There was no moshing but just people getting totally into the music and not pushing each other around, which I thought was great. I don't see why people have to get into other people's space in GA but I understand and deal with it if it does. All I'm asking is for some warning just so I know what I'm up against.

By the way, packersnroses, thats very helpful. Sort of what I expected, I just wanted a bit of confirmation.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

I went to Chicago three days ago.

There was crowd pushing to a degree, lets just say you won't have room to stretch out.

The only issue I had was one fat ass woman who kept shoving up forward and tried to rip me and my friend from the rail and take our spots.

Finally she knocked down a 13 year old girl, so I decked her in the jaw and she backed off.

Don't be afraid to kick someone's ass and you'll be fine, if you earn your spot just defend it, there may be a couple drunk assholes but for the most part everyone was cool.

Thats fine. I don't have a problem with getting into the music. I go to concerts all the time, I just hate the sometimes violent nature that happens and as someone thats not a huge tough guy, I just get a bit nervous about getting hurt. I can hold my own and I'll be among friends but since its not a club show I'm always curious about the crowd. For bigger arena shows, the crowds could go absolutely insane or be a bit distilled for one reason or another. For example, I saw Foo Fighters in the pit the other night and I figured the crowd would be much more insane. There was no moshing but just people getting totally into the music and not pushing each other around, which I thought was great. I don't see why people have to get into other people's space in GA but I understand and deal with it if it does. All I'm asking is for some warning just so I know what I'm up against.

By the way, packersnroses, thats very helpful. Sort of what I expected, I just wanted a bit of confirmation.

Like that guy said, just keep away from the drunks, don't go talking to random accompanied girls, but other than that it's mostly people trying to have a good time.

Like that guy said, just keep away from the drunks, don't go talking to random accompanied girls, but other than that it's mostly people trying to have a good time.

Totally fine with me. I'm all for having a good time, especially at GNR, just don't want to get killed or pretty hurt because I imagine I'll be relatively tired after standing there all day. But I'm gonna be all into the music once it starts and singing every god damn word. Thanks for the help guys. This greatly helps ease some fears.

The GA from the show tonight looked packed like sardines. They were throwing hands in the air and you saw some movement, but it's not like going to a Pantera show. I don't think you need to worry about getting hurt.

Hands is what I meant. Thats pretty much my only move at a show lol. But thats what it was like at Foos the other night and seems to be at most arena shows as opposed to smaller clubs where its just nonstop insanity. Thanks for the help! I still welcome any other stories if you've got em.

No problem dude. You have nothing to worry about. The energy was so intense tonight that everybody with seats stood most of the time anyway. I stood about 85% of the show and had no fatigue at all. The only thing that sucks about GA is if you got to take a leak or go buy something. It's obviously more difficult than coming back to a seat. But from my view tonight, I saw GA people going and doing that pretty easily. Like, there was one back corner where i saw tons of people hanging out and coming in and out etc, but once the show really started, I think everyone kind of stayed where they were. I don't think you have anything to worry about though. Seriously, this show they putting on is so good, you won't want to leave or sit down.

It was so weird tonight. The band went on around 11:00, but nobody felt like it was late or was getting anxious. In fact, it seemed like everybody was in no hurry at all, just having a good time chatting and drinking. And then when the show ended, almost everyone was still there and not ready for it to end. It was really strange, because it's usually not like that.

Man up.

That is all.

I second that...after all, nice boys don't play rock n' roll...I remember at a Metallica concert things got way fucking out of hand, it was the biggest show in Northern Europe, around 75k people and the GA just went fucking apeshit during the show...it had been twenty years since puppets came out, so they played the whole album...and during the title track I just fucking lost it :D every rock fan knows when that moment hits when your emotions get ahold of you and you just don't have any control over what your body is doing...we managed to start this huge moshpit, people jumping about, off of each other etc....it was so much fun...after the show I felt like I'd been in a riot or something...probably burned like a whole workout worth of calories doing that...it was great...and once the opening chords of CD hit at hartford, albany and worcester I'll be doing just that...and hopefully it'll be a great crowd that lives the show rather than watches it...

No problem dude. You have nothing to worry about. The energy was so intense tonight that everybody with seats stood most of the time anyway. I stood about 85% of the show and had no fatigue at all. The only thing that sucks about GA is if you got to take a leak or go buy something. It's obviously more difficult than coming back to a seat. But from my view tonight, I saw GA people going and doing that pretty easily. Like, there was one back corner where i saw tons of people hanging out and coming in and out etc, but once the show really started, I think everyone kind of stayed where they were. I don't think you have anything to worry about though. Seriously, this show they putting on is so good, you won't want to leave or sit down.

It was so weird tonight. The band went on around 11:00, but nobody felt like it was late or was getting anxious. In fact, it seemed like everybody was in no hurry at all, just having a good time chatting and drinking. And then when the show ended, almost everyone was still there and not ready for it to end. It was really strange, because it's usually not like that.

Very cool. What I like about the GA is I've been in seats where I stand the whole time and you can't FULLY experience it unless you're in the pit it seems like. Thats what gets me excited because, I'm not someone that punches or anything but, I enjoy air guitaring it and just swaying around during Jungle and all those great tracks. So as long as I know I'm not gonna get punched in the face or kicked in the head, that makes me happy lol. I don't worry about bathroom breaks but that is a good point. Sounds like a lot of fun from your description, and personally I'm pretty happy for them to be going on a bit earlier, at least before midnight. As much as I love a show going late into the night, I do have to drive back 2 hours after the show, so getting home at 4 is better than 6 am. Very good info and, again, its greatly appreciated.

Hi all. I'm new here but have been lurking for quite awhile. I'm finally getting to see GNR in a few weeks at Camden and I had a question for everybody that could help about the crowds:

I'm going with a few friends and (against my wishes) they got GA tickets as opposed to seats for the show. While I'm not thrilled to be standing from probably 5 pm until midnight or whenever Axl is ready to go onstage, I was just wondering about the crowd movement/violence, etc. I've been to shows where the GA is really into the music but they don't punch and mosh around, and I've been to shows where there are people that make it violent for everyone. I have no problems getting into the music and jumping up and down, but I really hate it when the crowd just starts moshing and punching around and would hate it if this prevents me from being close to the stage. I've heard that since its 2011 I'm dreaming if I think the show is going to be violent (because the fans are older) although a GNR show is still a GNR show so I think it could be a possibility.

Funnily enough, the best example I have is when I saw Slash at a standing room only show last year. Obviously the crowd had to stand and I was about 5 people deep, but the whole crowd was just into the music the whole time and not moshing and pushing around. The only time moshing started was during Paradise City, which I guess is understandable, and for 10 minutes or so I had to deal with it. But for a 3 hour show after standing all day it just seems like a lot to take.

So does anyone have any info they might be able to share? I hate to make it sound like I'm complaining, and I guess I am, but I'm really just trying to know what to be prepared for. I'm ecstatic to finally be seeing GNR and in the GA area will be awesome as I'd love to rock out and get into the music in my own space. I just hate when the crowds turn violent and mosh so I was wondering what was "standard" at the most recent shows.

All I'm gonna say is wear something waterproof like windpants, because there's a good chance there will be beer and/or piss involved.

A German woman told me GA crowds in the states, for this tour (been to 5 shows this year), have been very tame.

Wear good shoes. Don't tempt the drunks. Get to the front by being early, and once you're there, give yourself as much space as possible. Because they ain't making more elbow room once the show starts!

A German woman told me GA crowds in the states, for this tour (been to 5 shows this year), have been very tame.

Wear good shoes. Don't tempt the drunks. Get to the front by being early, and once you're there, give yourself as much space as possible. Because they ain't making more elbow room once the show starts!

Just out of curiosity, and you might not know, but what time do you think would be optimal to get there if I want to be up front. Ticket says 8 so I assumed getting there at 5 would be ok but is that too early or late?

The GA crowd (general admission floor level concert attendees) in Atlanta were all full of peaceful bliss. It was like standing on a cloud of brotherhood and sisterly order; there were no problems; only happy listeners who rocked out intently with no desire to harm their fellow GnR fans.

Just out of curiosity, and you might not know, but what time do you think would be optimal to get there if I want to be up front. Ticket says 8 so I assumed getting there at 5 would be ok but is that too early or late?

I know you weren't directing this at me but..

I have GA tix for the Worcester show and we're planning on showing up around 1pm, I saw STP and Kid Cudi recently, both on the floor, and showed up at around 1-2 for each (both started at "8pm") and we were the first ones there, so we were front and center, but people did start showing up at the doors with us by 2pm, so if you want to be front row..5 might be a bit too late.

I have GA tix for the Worcester show and we're planning on showing up around 1pm, I saw STP and Kid Cudi recently, both on the floor, and showed up at around 1-2 for each (both started at "8pm") and we were the first ones there, so we were front and center, but people did start showing up at the doors with us by 2pm, so if you want to be front row..5 might be a bit too late.

what? I was planning on getting to there by 5pm in hartford tomorrow and thats not early enough? christ im not gonna get there at 1pm in the afternoon just to stand there for 12 hours or more, im just gonna push my way to the front

what? I was planning on getting to there by 5pm in hartford tomorrow and thats not early enough? christ im not gonna get there at 1pm in the afternoon just to stand there for 12 hours or more, im just gonna push my way to the front

Keep in mind I absolutely need to be in the front at Worcester, first time I saw Guns was in '02 at Fleetcenter in Boston with my dad, we sat in seats, next time was in Worcester '06 with my buddy, sat in seats next to the stage. I want to be in the front, so me and my buddy are leaving very prematurely to make sure that happens. I'm sure getting there around 3-4 would be fine, 5 seriously might be pushing it though.

We're bringing a cooler, food, chairs, cd player etc and parking our asses at the door, and then when the time gets close to get inside, one of us is gonna run our stuff back to the car while the other stays in line, then it's fuckin showtime.

IMPORTANT TIP: Stay far away from the tall soft portly white guy with the red curly hair on the very top of his head. He has a plutonic side-kick. She is an Asian woman who stands about 5ft.1. They will be scream in your ear out of anger if you pass by im front of them! The will scream "MOVE!" is high-pitched unison! They were rude and odd, to say the least! grrrrrrr! They wrecked my concert experience!

Depends.

Are people gonna just congregate near the doors or are they going to file up in a line?

Are you going to be at the right doors?

Do they give out wristbands for floor access after you get through? Is there more than one station for wristbands?

Early is better. But guessing/knowing the right place to be is also some of it. And luck.