2011 Guns Clicks Better Than Ever

Kaneda

I've seen every iteration of Guns N Roses since 1987-2011 and last night's performance in NJ was a seminal moment for this band. For the first time ever, I feel like new Guns has stopped trying so hard to "be different", and instead, they are just working together to create the greatest rock n roll show possible. What i mean by that is before, it always felt like each member was trying to bring his sound out, to differentiate it from the original band, not just in style and technique, but also in the sound itself. As a result, you had all these different sounds and styles crashing into each other in the middle of a song. Not anymore. Last night, this band sounded like one complete unit working harmoniously together, almost like a V12 engine where every piston is firing perfectly and the noise emitted is sheer heaven. Take Sweet Child O' Mine for example. DJ and Ron blended their styles together SO PERFECTLY that you couldn't even detect when the shift happens during the solo (from DJ to Ron). It sounded as if all 3 guitarists where all playing off of the same guitar. As a result, this incredible wave of music was created that allowed Axl to fucking blow the roof off with his vocal power. Oh, did I mention, Axl Rose sounded and looked great. I brought a group of 10 people to the show last night, all of which were skeptical of of Axl's capabilities. Two songs in they were all completely blown away. The only problem with watching GNR for me is that it makes it impossible to enjoy other live acts. This band hits so fucking hard and has SO MANY great tunes, it makes other concerts pointless. I just end up comparing everything to GNR and nothing compares.

If you haven't had a chance to see this lineup, I highly suggest you take whatever means necessary to get to a show. And bring with you GNR fans. Who knows how long these moments will last, but take advantage of them while they do. Rock on...

CK

The only problem with watching GNR for me is that it makes it impossible to enjoy other live acts. This band hits so fucking hard and has SO MANY great tunes, it makes other concerts pointless. I just end up comparing everything to GNR and nothing compares.

I agree with your whole post.

The only other band i'll pay to go see is Megadeth. I'm going in february actually.

GNR has set the musical bar so high for me lol

Up to today, my 2010 GnR concert is still the best concert I ever went to, and I went to a few. Next would be KISS in 2009 and then GnR in RiR. They set the bar pretty high but I can imagine many bands that have comparable live acts such as AC/DC, Metallica, Aerosmith and especially U2.

I've seen every iteration of Guns N Roses since 1987-2011 and last night's performance in NJ was a seminal moment for this band. For the first time ever, I feel like new Guns has stopped trying so hard to "be different", and instead, they are just working together to create the greatest rock n roll show possible. What i mean by that is before, it always felt like each member was trying to bring his sound out, to differentiate it from the original band, not just in style and technique, but also in the sound itself. As a result, you had all these different sounds and styles crashing into each other in the middle of a song. Not anymore. Last night, this band sounded like one complete unit working harmoniously together, almost like a V12 engine where every piston is firing perfectly and the noise emitted is sheer heaven. Take Sweet Child O' Mine for example. DJ and Ron blended their styles together SO PERFECTLY that you couldn't even detect when the shift happens during the solo (from DJ to Ron). It sounded as if all 3 guitarists where all playing off of the same guitar. As a result, this incredible wave of music was created that allowed Axl to fucking blow the roof off with his vocal power. Oh, did I mention, Axl Rose sounded and looked great. I brought a group of 10 people to the show last night, all of which were skeptical of of Axl's capabilities. Two songs in they were all completely blown away. The only problem with watching GNR for me is that it makes it impossible to enjoy other live acts. This band hits so fucking hard and has SO MANY great tunes, it makes other concerts pointless. I just end up comparing everything to GNR and nothing compares.

If you haven't had a chance to see this lineup, I highly suggest you take whatever means necessary to get to a show. And bring with you GNR fans. Who knows how long these moments will last, but take advantage of them while they do. Rock on...

CK

i ve been reading here since 2000 or something like that, waiting and waiting and eventually very happy since oh my god came out on that soundtrack. i ve read a lot (of your negative bullshit) and now i read your post and it makes me wanna react

first the band does sound good and cohesive

second me personally i miss charisma and i realise that when i see old live video of the band like estranged oklahoma etc

third i really miss finck and his style and sound and looks and charisma (the only one that compares to duff slash izzy axl imo)

but then the real reason of my post that it makes you impossible to view other live acts... lol. you should go work for TMF and kiss asses...

gnr rocks live but chiili peppers with john frusciante, radiohead saitima show, john frusciante solo shows, placebo soulmates never die show, ..... and a lot of other bands have great live shows i would enjoy

i would love to see the cure again i saw them on the bloodflowers tour in valencia and it blew me away

so i read your post and i thought it was bullshit and i remembered your former (sometimes funny negative) post and i felt like reacting

cheers

The only problem with watching GNR for me is that it makes it impossible to enjoy other live acts. This band hits so fucking hard and has SO MANY great tunes, it makes other concerts pointless. I just end up comparing everything to GNR and nothing compares.

The only other band i'll pay to go see is Megadeth. I'm going in february actually.

The problem with Megadeth is that they play a core of classic songs without fail (though I'd much rather hear something like My Last Words/Killing Is My Buiness/Five Magics... etc etc) by the book regardless of how good the current album is, Endgame was the best album they've released since Youthanasia imo, it's pretty damn close to Countdown to Extinction, yet the setlists basically now never change (apart from the RIP anniversary tour) are stock and about twelve songs long. And I fucking love Megadeth! People whining about this band playing for three hours and a huge span of material plus covers and extended solo sections make me laugh!

Edited by RandallFlagg

CK

i ve been reading here since 2000 or something like that, waiting and waiting and eventually very happy since oh my god came out on that soundtrack. i ve read a lot (of your negative bullshit) and now i read your post and it makes me wanna react

second me personally i miss charisma and i realise that when i see old live video of the band like estranged oklahoma etc

third i really miss finck and his style and sound and looks and charisma (the only one that compares to duff slash izzy axl imo)

but then the real reason of my post that it makes you impossible to view other live acts... lol. you should go work for TMF and kiss asses...

gnr rocks live but chiili peppers with john frusciante, radiohead saitima show, john frusciante solo shows, placebo soulmates never die show, ..... and a lot of other bands have great live shows i would enjoy

i would love to see the cure again i saw them on the bloodflowers tour in valencia and it blew me away

so i read your post and i thought it was bullshit and i remembered your former (sometimes funny negative) post and i felt like reacting

cheers

I view Kaneda's post as very positive and very true. if Kaneda can be converted, that means two things - a) there is hope for a lot of naysayers out there and B) this band is doing something very right.

People whining about this band playing for three hours and a huge span of material plus covers and extended solo sections make me laugh!

Dude, totally agree with you but your avatar scares me every time I look at it.

I don't think any of the band have ever had their ability questioned, with exception to Axl when he has his bad singing days. In reality, this current band are the most technically accomplished version of GNR that have ever existed, without doubt.

But this misses the point that some of us adored. Stevens sloppy drumming on AFD was a joy, because it didn't feel overly processed. It was as close to rock n' roll as you could truly get in my eyes, as it was natural, and they were playing their own material. The AFD album should never have seen the light of day, given the extraordinary way in which GNR came to be in existence, never mind they were all fucked up on heroin at that time. This is what was special to some of us, and why we still hold it in such high regard today. The original GNR meeting was on par with how penicillin was accidentally discovered. It was a one in a billion shot that these guys would meet each other at that time, and all have the desire to make music. But it happened. Somehow.

The current incarnation are all 'hired', in a kind of Rock version of 'X factor' where people audition and see if they fit Axl's tastes. Thats not to say they can't play good music, because they surely can. But it takes the edge off it somehow when you have a kind of 'Real Madrid' of hired hands, compared to the original Guns that came from the lowest division possible and worked their way up to the top through just having some kind of magical spark between them.

Apologies if this offends anyone, but this is genuinely my view.

Great review by the OP.

I don't get the hired hands, charisma, sloppy play is good, chemistry, the players background, how they met, etc. Akl pd that is personal bias a fan brings to the table.

If an alien came to earth and watched last nights show, they would just judge the quality of the music. None of the stuff some of u are mentioning.

For me, it is always about the actual song. Not all the other crap. Like chemistry. There was always tension within the old band. Maybe the new band are all best friends who love each other to death.

People just have an emotional attachment to the old band, because their music meant something personal to them at a specific time in life. GnR now, 20 years later, arrives when the fan is at a different stage in life, so they don't have the same emotional impact. Appetite came out when I was in high school. November Rain was the first song I danced with my wife. CD? Married, kids, job.....more concerned with putting a new roof on my house and paying for my sons baseball trip to an all star camp in a different state, than a rock album. Music is about 10% as important to me now as it was when appetite and illusions came out.

Good post. I'd say the same is true for the 2009/2010 shows though, that this is where the current incarnation really became a true BAND. Before people argue the whole cover band, they aren't putting out new music and all that stuff, I mean a band as in a functional, working unit. The three guitarists have an undeniable chemistry and seem to really enjoy playing with one another. There are no egos at all, which is evident in the fact that the solos are divided among all of them. As much as say Fortus is actually a highly proficient lead player, it seems he generally just enjoys rocking out on that stage thus his position as "rhythm" guitar. That leaves you Ashba and Ron to cover the main solos, and they trade solos flawlessly and the respect for each others styles really shows. That was 2009/2010. Now we're in 2011 and in addition to the chemistry between the guitarists, Axl is having a lot of fun out there. It's really cool to see!

Honorable mention goes to Tommy, Frank, Dizzy and Mother Goose who may not be out front like the rest (well, Tommy is), but still rock it and hold down the groove. Man, I love this line-up!

If you have not seen GNR late last year or this year, the positive comments may sound exaggerated. If you have seen them, then you know the reviewers are just trying to put into words what they experienced.

There are a lot of posts around of people saying they have seen hundreds of concerts and out of all of them the GNR concert they saw this year was the best ever.

The musicians in GNR are extremely good and together with the sound system, lights etc. everything just works.

We have all heard GNR’s music sung by other people than Axl. It just is not the same. My thought of the day was: Which singers can/could really move people with their voice?

The first one which came to my mind for some reason was

. She was famous for putting a lot of passion into the songs and she moved nations at her time.

The second one who came to my mind was Elvis. I am a bit curious if he really had the kind of presence people talk about.

At the moment I think Axl is in this group: a special voice loaded with emotion + stage presence. It is possible he does not know (even) yet he has “the voice”.

If you are interested enough in GNR to visit this forum, there is no excuse to not to go see them now if they come anywhere near your home.

If all goes well, they can give you the ultimate rock/music experience.

CK

cheers

I was very critical of the Guns situation around 2000-2002. Who the hell wasn't frustrated at that time? That was 10 years ago man. As people, we change a lot as time progresses. I think if there's one thing that's remained constant for me, it's my love for Guns and their music. For it has been with me for over half of my life. But I decided long ago to turn a negative into a positive - this led me down a much richer road in life. And in the end, the album came out, the greatest moment of my career involved the band I love, and I've had the pleasure of getting to know some of the new band members. Some people on here don't want me to be positive, they want me to remain angry, to rant, to find something to bitch about and exploit it. I could still behave that way if I looked at this new band through a nostalgic lens. But why would I do that? Why would I deny myself the pleasures of enjoying this great band because I focused so hard on trying to relive the past? I mean everything I say...I always have. Time makes hypocrites of us all man...but it's never, tooooo late.

DJ and Ron play the old stuff more like Slash than Robin and Bucket did. With Robin and Bucket it felt like they were trying to make the band into something new and different. It'll be interesting to hear what the new band sounds like if they ever release an album written and recorded by this current lineup.

Edited by ITW 2012

CK

Funny how one backstage sneak-in (like a snake) and impromptu meet-and-greet can turn one of the most negative GNR/Axl fans into the biggest ass-kissing GNR/Axl fan.

Seems to be going around.

hopefully the album sounds like Axl dresses right now.

But what does Hannibal Lecter on vacation sound like?

King of the Night time World meets Manowar?

I always thought Lecter was a big fan of Dr Feelgood.

I would have pegged him as more a fan of smooth flamenco jazz, with classical overtones, and a Caribbean beat. What does one listen to when eating fava beans anyway?

CK

Funny how one backstage sneak-in (like a snake) and impromptu meet-and-greet can turn one of the most negative GNR/Axl fans into the biggest ass-kissing GNR/Axl fan.

Seems to be going around.

It's just good to know that even someone as opposed to Axl as Kaneda was can have a change of heart. Whether it happens by seeing the band live, or meeting Axl in person, it doesn't matter. This has got to be like meeting Jesus for some people - one meeting in person and you turn over a new leaf and sin no more :D.

If meeting Axl could turn around Kaneda, we should ask Kaneda to get the cupcakes on this forum to tag along with him, the next time he gets to meet Axl backstage. It would be insanely cool and even a seminal moment on this board to watch BBA, SunnyDre, Moreblack, Howling Wolf, Sonofabitch et al or any of the others stewing in resentment and bitterness do a 180degree u turn and finally say something nice on the boards instead of spewing negativity. Kaneda, I would pay good money to watch you make this happen! :thumbsup:

Edited by The Archer

I think a song based on Game of Thrones might work. Sci-fi maids in distress to a Ron Judas Priest metal song.

Maybe they are saving The General for Season 2. Game of Thrones is sort of like Lord of The Rings mixed with AFD.

The real Live n let die GNR will return.

Bruce Springsteen...nuff said. Plays 3 hours shows plus he played 190 songs last tour... yes 190 songs.

But yea, current GNR is fuckin awesome. I feel the same way. 06 was cool, but 2010-2011 has been fantastic. They are a real band now. Love it.