What do you hope CD II sounds like?

ITW 2012

What do you hope CD II sounds like? I'm hoping for a heavy electronica type sound. Something like the Prodigy or Chemical Brothers mixed with Paul Oakenfold and NIN. I'd be really disappointed if they tried to make some retro rock crap, like what The White Stripes and Wolfmother do.

Axl's voice over top of electronic music would sound fantastic. I'm hearing something like this in my head:

Edited by ITW 2012

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope he just keeps pushing it further. It would be a big mistake to try and go back to an AFD type sound. All the classic rock type songs have been written at this point. When people try and make that kind of music now it just sounds like a complete knock off of something better that came before.

Dude....are you serious? GNR is a rock band, man. This would NOT be cool for a GNR record. Maybe a solo thing, but you can't put music like that out under the GNR name. No way. I wouldn't buy it.

That's a close minded attitude. Led Zeppelin and The Beatles would be making albums like what I described if they were around in present day.

I hope the album as a whole is more more cohesive and unified in sound. I mean I hope they try different styles (and hopefully a few kickass rockers) but if they record fresh takes of everything it will be more unified. I don't want another compilation of songs that are a mixture of 10 year old vocal tracks with instrumental parts recorded anytime between 1999 and 2007

Its a bit weird though, since when Axl fell in love with the industrial sound 20 years ago, it was like a fresh new frontier. now, a prodigy/oakenfold/chemical brothers big beat sound is like 10 years past its peak time and like a retro thing already... electronic music moves on so fast. If Axl starts putting up a dubstep/rock fusion record now, when it comes out its bound to be "meh" anyway.

best shot he has is to recruit engineers and computer musicians who push boundaries on various fields of electronic music, then have them sort out cool arrangements and great sounds with the band. and the band should write just rudimentary, great basic arrangements for axl to work lyrics on. then get all of these mashed together.

for the best recent rock-pop record with heavy use of computer music aesthetics and synthesizers succesfully, would suggest you ITW2012, and all others, to peruse into Mute Math's debut album from 2006 it was I think. fucking majestic songs there. 'Chaos' as a showpiece. on that note, the band has split up I think, so if Axl needs an innovative+super talented drummer, the mute math guy is a fucking genius behind his set. very 'breakbeaty', fucking love that style ...

I'm close minded because I don't want my favorite band, a rock n roll band, to make an electronica album. OK. :thumbsup:

Your favorite band doesn't exist in reality. The two main lead guitarists on CD are gone and the present touring band has no new music. Axl Rose is a director and GNR is the name of his recording company.

I'm close minded because I don't want my favorite band, a rock n roll band, to make an electronica album. OK. :thumbsup:

Your favorite band doesn't exist in reality. The two main lead guitarists on CD are gone and the present touring band has no new music. Axl Rose is a director and GNR is the name of his recording company.

Several members of the band have said they do have new stuff written, how close it is to being finished is another story.

In answer to the thread - I hope it sounds like Guns N' Roses. Chinese Democracy sounded a lot like Use Your Illusion 3 to me. I'm cool with that. I don't mind a few industrial songs but in the end I just want it to sound like Guns. I think that's where CD was most successful - aside from a few tracks, most of it fits right in. I did a mix of songs the other day and There Was a Time and Catcher in the Rye and Madagascar and This I Love sounded great with Don't Cry, Estranged, November Rain, etc.

Its a bit weird though, since when Axl fell in love with the industrial sound 20 years ago, it was like a fresh new frontier. now, a prodigy/oakenfold/chemical brothers big beat sound is like 10 years past its peak time and like a retro thing already... electronic music moves on so fast. If Axl starts putting up a dubstep/rock fusion record now, when it comes out its bound to be "meh" anyway.

best shot he has is to recruit engineers and computer musicians who push boundaries on various fields of electronic music, then have them sort out cool arrangements and great sounds with the band. and the band should write just rudimentary, great basic arrangements for axl to work lyrics on. then get all of these mashed together.

for the best recent rock-pop record with heavy use of computer music aesthetics and synthesizers succesfully, would suggest you ITW2012, and all others, to peruse into Mute Math's debut album from 2006 it was I think. fucking majestic songs there. 'Chaos' as a showpiece. on that note, the band has split up I think, so if Axl needs an innovative+super talented drummer, the mute math guy is a fucking genius behind his set. very 'breakbeaty', fucking love that style ...

Great post. I'll be sure to check out that Mute Math album.

I understand what you are saying about that sound being retro now, although I look to that time as when interesting music in the mainstream ceased to evolve. It looked like The Prodigy and The Chemical Brothers were going to push electronic music into the mainstream, but then after 97, MTV started only backing teen singers, boy bands, and Nu Metal; while electronic music was pushed back underground.

What do you hope CD II sounds like? I'm hoping for a heavy electronica type sound.

Axl's voice over top of electronic music would sound fantastic.

I hope he just keeps pushing it further. It would be a big mistake to try and go back to an AFD type sound. All the classic rock type songs have been written at this point. When people try and make that kind of music now it just sounds like a complete knock off of something better that came before.

Yes. More experimentation and evolution (not necessarily limited to electronica).

I hope they move away from the Chinese Democracy sound, which I think they will. All the Chinese Democracy songs sound better live played by this band in more of a rock style. I hope they can bring that sound to the studio, which I'm sure they will. BTW, The White Stripes are better than any of those other bands you named.

I doubt the next album will sound any more alternative than CD if they put new stuff on it. DJ, Richard and Ron are much more straight forward rock n' roll than Finck and Buckethead.

I'm kind of hoping the next album is the rest of the material that Bucket and Robin played on.

I doubt the next album will sound any more alternative than CD if they put new stuff on it. DJ, Richard and Ron are much more straight forward rock n' roll than Finck and Buckethead.

I'm kind of hoping the next album is the rest of the material that Bucket and Robin played on.

I hope it's both, old and new material.

BTW, The White Stripes are better than any of those other bands you named.

You think the White Stripes are better than Jane's Addiction and NIN? Sorry, but the White Stripes are garbage! Jack White should just be a guy fronting a cover band.

I don't think that. I know that. Janes Addiction are horrible. NIN are good, but Jack White is a guitar god. Maybe you've only heard their radio songs. Jack White is the only musician since Axl to do anything worthwhile in rock music IMO.

I don't want to hear GNR do an electronic music style. I think that's what most people disliked about the new band giving them the image they have to the public. Axl sounds best over Rock N Roll music. Just listen to him sing over Bach's rock band. It's more fitting than Chinese Democracy in some ways. I hope it's a very heavy rock album.

You think the White Stripes are better than Jane's Addiction and NIN? Sorry, but the White Stripes are garbage! Jack White should just be a guy fronting a cover band.

I'm not that fond of Jack White either. Tries too hard to be 'different'.

I don't think that. I know that. Janes Addiction are horrible. NIN are good, but Jack White is a guitar god. Maybe you've only heard their radio songs. Jack White is the only musician since Axl to do anything worthwhile in rock music IMO.

I don't want to hear GNR do an electronic music style. I think that's what most people disliked about the new band giving them the image they have to the public. Axl sounds best over Rock N Roll music. Just listen to him sing over Bach's rock band. It's more fitting than Chinese Democracy in some ways. I hope it's a very heavy rock album.

So you think that Jack White is a better musician than Trent Reznor, and a better guitar player than Dave Navarro?

So you think that Jack White is a better musician than Trent Reznor, and a better guitar player than Dave Navarro?

Yes I do. I think most people would agree with that as well. Jack White is one of the most respected musicians in the world. When you get the respect of someone like Jimmy Page, you'd think he is doing something right. Dave Navarro has never written any memorable riffs/solos like Jack White has.