What do you hope CD II sounds like?

ITW 2012

Bucket really made his mark in GN'R history on CD. Even though he walked away after one album (before it was even released) he will still remain the greatest guitarist GN'R ever had. Much respect to every other lead guitarist, and I think Bumblefoot is a very close second, but Buckethead was something special.

You are right. Quality is more important than quantity and that's why players like Bucket and Robin will be a part of the band's history. A big one I'd say. Axl surely won't let some of the masterpieces they wrote go, like Robin's Stevie Ray Vaughan-like solo that he mentioned on those chats in 2008, The General, Checkmate and so on. I'd love to hear first a GNR album by the actual lineup and then CD 2 - in fact a double album featuring both the 2002 and 2011 lineups would be killer, but I really doubt that would ever happen. I do want to hear much more from Robin, Brain and Bucket at some point. Hell if Axl said he'd never be in the studio again to record albums and release all the stuff already recorded I'd scream like a girl. An album properly promoted would be the way to go since Axl wants the band more active :)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bucket really made his mark in GN'R history on CD. Even though he walked away after one album (before it was even released) he will still remain the greatest guitarist GN'R ever had. Much respect to every other lead guitarist, and I think Bumblefoot is a very close second, but Buckethead was something special.

You are right. Quality is more important than quantity.

Like 14 years' worth of recording yielding 14 poor-to-mediocre songs? Do people really believe Robin Finck, Buckethead, or Ron Thal will really leave a mark? Perhaps a skidmark, eh?

Mind you, I respect Finck's, and Buckethead's musical qualities. The solos in Better are tops. As are NIN/BH solo material. But aside from the online Axl community, anything after 1994 is the 'joke period'. Although I'm sure Axl appreciates the optimism.

Like 14 years' worth of recording yielding 14 poor-to-mediocre songs? Do people really believe Robin Finck, Buckethead, or Ron Thal will really leave a mark? Perhaps a skidmark, eh?

Mind you, I respect Finck's, and Buckethead's musical qualities. The solos in Better are tops. As are NIN/BH solo material. But aside from the online Axl community, anything after 1994 is the 'joke period'. Although I'm sure Axl appreciates the optimism.

Indeed. The forum can dilute minds. But we can't see the future, and who knows? Perhaps it'll randomly get the appreciation it deserves. I know a lot of people hated Iron Maiden's The x Factor when it was first released, and it's still tossed deafly away because Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith are gone, but as time goes on, that album still picks up more fans. But it does still retain its joke status. Perhaps not the best example, then. Regardless of future appreciation by the mainstream world, though, I do sincerely believe that anyone who, for instance, hears the TWAT guitar solo will be more accepting of Bucket. All it takes is five minutes of an open mind, really. :lol: But assuming people will lend their ears and open their minds is assuming a bit much from a collection of people wearing blinders. It IS a bit demanding.

Bucket's TWAT solo was by far the best on the album.

Probably my favorite Guns N' Roses guitar solo. Band geek moment: I'm trying to learn the whole solo on my French horn. It's HARD (no shit).

However, in terms of overall guitar work, Estranged is superior in every fucking way. I haven't heard any guitar come close to that guitar masterpiece. I learned how to play it on my horn, too, and though everyone tells me it sounds pretty, it's only because they have yet to hear the emotions bending through those strings. If only they knew.

Yep, Estranged, yep. Done felating it.

I hope so. Apart from This I Love Finck disappointed me because most of the unheard solos were played by Bucket and even Ron, and even when he played they dont seem to be the main solos of the songs. I thought he would be a bigger part of the songs we hadnt heard but instead he was the secondary player on most. But Im fine with that because he was around when those songs were created so at least he had some original rhythm and lead ideas. Truth is I expected less Bucket and Ron and more Finck, but I was happy in the end because Finck was the secondary player in my books - Bucket and Ron were the main lead players at the time, the ones that surprised me and made me go "whoa" at every concert I heard. The ones that made me pay attention to every note they played...

Dont get me wrong though...Finck is a great studio guy and a decent live performer but the virtuosos that played in the band happen to be outworldly musicians and inventive/original yet melodically amazing players...and I dont even know if melodically amazing players is right.

I strongly believe that songs like Scraped and Shacklers also had Robin solos. Much like there was Bucket and Robin in Riad, Chinese and even Better. But Ron recorded over those tracks anyways, so we could get a more ballanced record with all three guitar players with important solos on key songs. I'd love to get more Robin on the album, but I feel it was fair with Ron. There's lots lead parts by Robin anyways that are not considered as solos, but were important - Riad's chorus, Prostitute rhythm and Catcher chorus.

By the way, why did you post such an awful slow and mudded version of Catcher? :P

Didn't know your opinion (or anyone's) were a fact. And please, don't even begin to say anything about sales or how the general public don't care. At the end of the day, what matters the most is how the real fans (not the ones who only like one album) feel because they are the ones who will still care about GNR history anyways.

I hope they do a more rock oriented album. The electronic, industrial sound in rock music is already dated. By the time Oh My God came out in 1999 it was already dated and over done. Almost every band did this in the mid 90's. Motley Crue did Generation Swine, U2 did POP, even the Smashing Pumpkins were doing electronic, industrial albums, and the funny thing is it was replaced overnight by bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit.

Edited by salx

I hope they do a more rock oriented album. The electronic, industrial sound in rock music is already dated. By the time Oh My God came out in 1999 it was already dated and over done. Almost every band did this in the mid 90's. Motley Crue did Generation Swine, U2 did POP, even the Smashing Pumpkins were doing electronic, industrial albums, and the funny thing is it was replaced overnight by bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit.

Wrong. Nu/ Industrial and Gothic Metal were part of a mid - late 90's movement. Besides, KoRn's Issues (1999) and unitled albums are good examples of Industrial Metal stuff, and let's not forget Rob Zombie's hit, Dragula(1998). Axl should have released the album back then.

I hope 12 tracks worth of "CD II" picks up where "CD I" left off and continues to push the envelope for Axl's and GN'R's sound and style (i.e. carrying forward Axl's original vision for the new Guns). That said- I think it would be great (and really smart) to give Axl and DJ two tracks or so to see if they can't come up with a "Paradise City" ca. 2012 type single or two in a bit more of a "classic" GN'R style to build the hype and marketing of the album around...

I posted that Catcher version because it was the only one I could find on YouTube yesterday...haha. Anyway, yes, Robin possibly had solos on Scraped or even Catcher (Shacklers original solo was played by Bucket I believe, no? The vocal track that we got from RB had a Bucket-like solo almost erased...), but even then Bucket still had more solos which surprised me. I expected more Robin and less Bucket and Ron, but that isnt necessarily a bad thing to me. I just hope to hear more from him when we get to hear some already recorded songs. But fair enough - he was around when those songs were written so Im fine with it. But Bucket kinda stole the spotlight because he's had more solos. I think that Robin's work was underrated by the GnR fanbase sadly.

But please dont let Dj touch Robin's stuff - I can live with his average SOD and his good/average TIL solo, but I certainly wouldnt appreciate some songs like Mi Amor being put on the next album instead of a song like Better for example. Let Dj do his Slash-y stuff on stage accurately and Im a happy man. But please please let the original and inventive guitarists do their thing on studio.

Oh, and I expected more compositions from Robin as well. I hope to hear more songs composed by him at some point.

I hope so. Apart from This I Love Finck disappointed me because most of the unheard solos were played by Bucket and even Ron, and even when he played they dont seem to be the main solos of the songs. I thought he would be a bigger part of the songs we hadnt heard but instead he was the secondary player on most. But Im fine with that because he was around when those songs were created so at least he had some original rhythm and lead ideas. Truth is I expected less Bucket and Ron and more Finck, but I was happy in the end because Finck was the secondary player in my books - Bucket and Ron were the main lead players at the time, the ones that surprised me and made me go "whoa" at every concert I heard. The ones that made me pay attention to every note they played...

Dont get me wrong though...Finck is a great studio guy and a decent live performer but the virtuosos that played in the band happen to be outworldly musicians and inventive/original yet melodically amazing players...and I dont even know if melodically amazing players is right.

I strongly believe that songs like Scraped and Shacklers also had Robin solos. Much like there was Bucket and Robin in Riad, Chinese and even Better. But Ron recorded over those tracks anyways, so we could get a more ballanced record with all three guitar players with important solos on key songs. I'd love to get more Robin on the album, but I feel it was fair with Ron. There's lots lead parts by Robin anyways that are not considered as solos, but were important - Riad's chorus, Prostitute rhythm and Catcher chorus.

By the way, why did you post such an awful slow and mudded version of Catcher? :P

Didn't know your opinion (or anyone's) were a fact. And please, don't even begin to say anything about sales or how the general public don't care. At the end of the day, what matters the most is how the real fans (not the ones who only like one album) feel because they are the ones who will still care about GNR history anyways.

Are you one of those that preface every thought with "In my opinion"? You're you. That implies you have a subjective opinion. Like the rest of the 7 billion inhabitants on Earth.

In other news - rain is wet, tits are great, and Chinese Democracy bombed.

I completely agree fans matter more than public consensus. You enjoy the album, and it's all that really matters. Who cares if the clerk at IHOP thinks Madagascar sucks? It doesn't affect your experience. But look at it this way - why is there no news for Chinese Democracy 2? Why is Axl so cautious about releasing more music? Why are there fewer Chinese songs on the setlist? At Rock In Rio, they had a chance to make a statement. They could have played a song from the new album. So what new song does Axl add to the set?

A song from 1991.

I agree with you because Tommy mentioned something like they'll enter in "writing mode" so a brand new GnR album could be released very soon. I obviously want to hear stuff recorded by them at some point :)

I think Tommy mentioned how poorly the record did which is probably thanks to the record company releasing it and just ignoring it. I think a worldwide tour 3 years after the album release is the best way Axl can do to reach out to fans. Lets face it, he's a better performer than promoter. He tried the promoting route in 2006, speaking at Korn shows and stuff and launching a world tour, but he ran into trouble. The fact the 2007 tour was canceled because the band went into the studio was great news. However it pissed off a lot of fans who spent small fortunes (in a bad economy) to see one of their favorite bands.

Now they are back, hell bent on touring, promoting the album and at the same time retaining loyalty and gaining new supporters by doing justice to music from AFD, Lies and UYI. He said it himself, he believes CD has done everything he hoped, maybe more as fans reacted well to the songs live, maybe after the tour he will feel the world is ready for a new album and though some of the crowds were few, those who showed up and cheered, they are worthy of a new album.

Are you one of those that preface every thought with "In my opinion"? You're you. That implies you have a subjective opinion. Like the rest of the 7 billion inhabitants on Earth.

In other news - rain is wet, tits are great, and Chinese Democracy bombed.

If it was just YOUR opinion, your whole post wouldnt make sense. You stated about the quality of the songs to justify the amount of time spent, as if it was a fact for anyone.

Its really easy to bitch about anything and then say "hey, it was just IMHO". Cry me a river, youre not happy about how it sounded and then complains that it didnt suit your needs or anyones. And, like I said, dont even start with the sales thing - who the fuck cares if people didnt buy Chinese Democracy? Im not worried about it, I bought it and I enjoyed it, thats what matters to me and it doesnt imply the songs werent great at all. Just like you said:

I completely agree fans matter more than public consensus. You enjoy the album, and it's all that really matters. Who cares if the clerk at IHOP thinks Madagascar sucks? It doesn't affect your experience.

Exactly.

But look at it this way - why is there no news for Chinese Democracy 2? Why is Axl so cautious about releasing more music? Why are there fewer Chinese songs on the setlist? At Rock In Rio, they had a chance to make a statement. They could have played a song from the new album. So what new song does Axl add to the set?

A song from 1991.

Ok, let me see: there's lots of buzz about writing, recording and releasing new stuff now, but somehow you think Axl is just cautious about releasing more music? The band playing half of the album to crowds still against pretty much anything new (from tracks to band members) is because he had no confidence? The awful conditions on Rock in Rio, where everything was going wrong, made the right place to debut a new song?

Look, I've been around for quite some time. I know Axl isnt really the easiest guy to like and to be a fan of. I dont like everything the band does (I still dislike much of what Ashba plays). But the last couple of years werent bad at all. If anything, the band is doing better in getting their shit togheter after so much bitching and complaining and everything is pointing right now to a brighter future. Not the Illusions kind of sucess, but at least something for the fans to enjoy other than years of silence.

The fans had a blast at Rock in Rio 2011. I am surprised they didn't cancel because of bad weather.

I think if it wasn't such a big event they would've canceled.

Anyway, on topic, I would love to see "Chinese Democracy 2," be as Axl said, heavier and darker. I have a feeling it'll probably be much like Chinese Democracy was, alot of rock songs, some ballads, and a industrial song or two.

I just wonder if they'll have the whole album with new material, or some old material. Would be awesome if there was a mix of both.