The Official - Frank Ferrer drummer thread

vaida

Frank Ferrer - On the face of it appears to be the least talked about member of New GN'R

Frank Ferrer (born 1966) is an American rock drummer and session musician. In October 2006, Ferrer became an official member of the American hard rock band Guns N' Roses after serving as the band's emergency substitute drummer for Bryan Mantia on several occasions during the band's summer 2006 European tour. Ferrer is also a member of The Psychedelic Furs as well as a former member of Love Spit Love. He has recorded and worked with several high profile musicians including The Beautiful, Robi "Draco" Rosa, and Sarah Clifford.

HISTORY

Frank was born March 25, 1966 and raised in New York. He has stated at an interview at the School of Rock,Chatham, NJ that at age 11 he saw a Kiss concert and it was there he first started to love Rock music.

In 1992 he joined Love Spit Love, which featured guitarist Richard Fortus. Since then he has gone on to play with other bands such as the second incarnation of the Psychedelic Furs and Honky Toast (both of those bands also featured Fortus), The Beautiful, The The, Pisser, The Compulsions, Robi "Draco" Rosa, Sarah Clifford, Gordan Gano and was a founding member of NYC heavy-groove legends Ratchethead. He has also toured with Doro Pesch and Tommy Stinson.

In July 2006, Frank Ferrer joined Guns N' Roses during their European Tour to replace Bryan "Brain" Mantia, who had returned to the United States for personal reasons.

Ferrer has since become full-time drummer for G'N'R, and recorded a portion of the drum parts for the album Chinese Democracy.

Ferrer has also worked with other artists including Rebecca Blasband, Jive Jones, Sarah Clifford and GanoRyan.

Ferrer's daughter Olivia is a member of the band Supercute!, an indie pop band.

Wiki - Frank Ferrer

I really like Frank. I personally think he's better than Brain. But still Steven and Matt sound better with GnR IMO.

Matt is without any doubt the worst drummer GN'R ever had.

Steven sounds great, Josh, Brain & Frank sound great. There's absolutely no soul in Matt's drumming.

I love Franks feel but I've noticed that in the final version of the song CD the extra snare accent is taken away and it really kills what originally made the song punchy. It took a while for me to notice what was different but with that accent gone makes the drums have less of a hook and become secondary which is a shame because Josh Freeze probably wrote the guitar part to match those drum hits.

But yes Frank s great. :)

I really like Frank. I personally think he's better than Brain. But still Steven and Matt sound better with GnR IMO.

Matt is without any doubt the worst drummer GN'R ever had.

Steven sounds great, Josh, Brain & Frank sound great. There's absolutely no soul in Matt's drumming.

Nahh, I don't really like Josh and Brain's playing.

Fits in least?! What?? He's bandmates with Richard; he's always laughing with DJ and Ron. He's a drummer - he's in his own little world. That is the only, only thing I can think would influence somebody to say he doesnt fit in. Pitman or Dizzy, on the other hand, dont seem to fit in, imo, and they've been in the band longer than anyone else except Axl!

frank is frank. i'll take josh freese or brain over him any day. he's good but, he's nothing to write home about.

Frank's got commitment, and that's what the band really needs from everyone. Buckethead, Robin, Brain, they all had incredible talent and skill but the commitment was not there. Robin had NIN, Buckethead's in his own world, Brain had the Izzy mindset where he doesn't really like big touring. Sure, I'd love to hear Les Claypool on bass for GnR because he's an amazing talent, but Tommy has stuck with the band through all the shit they've been through, and considering the way Axl chooses to run his band and how the management and executives try and handle them, that deserves some goddamn respect.

Did Richard Fortus help Frank get the job ?

Brain / Brian has always maintained he'll be back. That appears to doubtful now.

Wasn't Brains / Brians original exit supposed to be brief, as his other half had a kid ? (that kid must be about 8 now)

Edited by vaida

Frank is a beast on the kit. He's good enough in the technical department to do the material ranging from the Illusions to Chinese, but he always manages to put is own spin on things or inject his own groove without straying too far from what was originally done. It's also nice to hear You Could Be Mine done justice again, as I was never a fan of Brain's version. Frank is the best fit for the band right now. His groove, sound, and overall power help make the live show what it is. His "Guns N' Roses" chants that he starts are always fun too.

frank is frank. i'll take josh freese or brain over him any day. he's good but, he's nothing to write home about.

Frank's got commitment, and that's what the band really needs from everyone. Buckethead, Robin, Brain, they all had incredible talent and skill but the commitment was not there. Robin had NIN, Buckethead's in his own world, Brain had the Izzy mindset where he doesn't really like big touring. Sure, I'd love to hear Les Claypool on bass for GnR because he's an amazing talent, but Tommy has stuck with the band through all the shit they've been through, and considering the way Axl chooses to run his band and how the management and executives try and handle them, that deserves some goddamn respect.

yeah, he's cool. i'm just sayin' freese and brain are 10x better.