Chinese songs compared to the older songs

uzi your illusion

This might be fun, or it might be shitty and we can disregard the thread along with all the other ones that live on the front page for a day and then fade away.

If you had to take the songs off of Chinese Democracy and compare them with a song on one of GNR's earlier works what song would you say they were most like. I know it's not going to be perfect, as a lot of the material on CD is really different then before. But I believe the basic GNR sound can still be found throughout the album.

For Example

Chinese Democracy is Right Next Door to Hell

For more reasons then just the obvious that they both open their respective albums. Their fast paced rockers with piercing vocals and a buzz saw like guitar work on both tracks.

Shackler's Revenge is Don't Damn Me

I like that in both songs you get 2 very different Axl voices. You have blistering solos in both tracks, Shackler's may be the hardest one to liken to any other song.

Better is Rocket Queen

Both songs to me have 2 distinctive parts, each great in their own way. Better, unlike some of the tracks on Chinese has a great sing along chorus that also reminds me or RQ.

Street of Dreams is Don't Cry

I don't know why, but I've always thought of the songs very closely connected. It might just be that their both mid temp ballads but I always have saw SOD as the baby brother of Don't Cry

If The World is Double Talking Jive

Its the guitar sound all throughout ITW that is found at the end of DTJ that made me think of the comparison at first. However thinking more about it, ITW is guns pushing the boundary of their typical BIG hard rock sound and stretching it to one end of the spectrum with a cool flamenco inspired laid back groove. Whereas DTJ is them taking that same signature and pulling it the other way to a quick jab in the face punk rock firecracker , they show you how versatile Guns can be when they want to.

There Was A Time is Estranged

Might be the easiest comparison to me personally. Both have legendary solos and guitar theatrics that make them stick out to anyone upon first listen. The lyrics both are introspective , and just the overall scale of the songs in length and the amount of stuff crammed into both make them similar.

Catcher In The Rye is Bad Obsession

This is another one I didn't have to think about for long , as it always seemed natural to me. Now I just had to think about why it seemed that way. I guess the length of both was it at first. The fact that both of them aren't as rough or hard edged as other tracks by the band. They basically just show what Guns can be when there not ripping your face off. And thats a nice change every now and again.

Scraped is Oh My God

Maybe cheating here because OMG isn't by the old band, but it's not by this band either so there. These two are like conjoined twins separated at birth. Both have industrial tinges with vocals expressing fear and self doubt, questioning yourself.

Riad N' the Bedouins is The Garden

Both come in the later part of their respective albums, and they both have two vocal melodies that could serve as the chorus. Riad sounds most like Immigrant Song if I'm being honest but thats not this topic.

Sorry is Civil War

I think the similarities are in the slower verses that build to a very climatic chorus on both tracks. They are slow but deliberately and the power builds with the song. I only wish that the drums Frank adds before the chorus when played live, made the album.

I.R.S is Dead Horse

This one again was thought of because of placement, but there is a bit more that likens them. They both have cool intros, Dead Horse is a prime example of the GNR sound when they were at their peak. It's not their best song but its solid and it's distinctively their sound. IRS is that sound updated, it is still the hard rock that made the band but it has newer flares that keep it current.

Madagascar is Breakdown

The quotes were an obvious choice for comparison, but their also similar in that they are big idea songs. Neither are throw away party songs about getting wrecked and screwing. They both talk of being hurt and finding a way through, there is a message in both that when you get them, make the songs infinitely more interesting.

This I Love is November Rain

Do I have to explain?

Prostitute is Locomotive

In that they both represent a band at it's creative peak , firing on all cylinders. These two showcase how tight the band can be at any point in their history when they are willing to put the work in. The outro's on both are a personal favorite of mine, I think there understated but really important to the overall composition. These songs are standouts compared to any work from any band, and to get both from the same musical mind you know you have one hell of a talent.

WOW you made it to the end and so did I, anyone else wanna give it a whirl?

Dean- if you don't agree and you have some free time it would be cool to see some of your comparisons, even if just song title-song title

Evergreen- good point on the Maddy and Civil War thing , even used part of the same quote. Not that I hadn't noticed before, just seemed like Sorry and Civil War are both kinda big and powerful rockers that have a slower tempo.

CD- Jungle.

Shacklers - DTJ meets Locomotive.

Better - SCOM

SOD - Yesterdays

ITW- LLD

TWAT - Paradise City

Catcher- Estranged

Scraped- OTGM

Riad - Think about you

Sorry - Don't Cry

IRS - Brownstone

Madagascar - Civil War

TIL - Nov Rain

Prostitute- Coma or RQ

CD- Jungle.

Better - SCOM

SOD - Yesterdays

ITW- LLD

TWAT - Paradise City

Catcher- Estranged

Scraped- OTGM

Riad - Think about you

Sorry - Don't Cry

IRS - Brownstone

Madagascar - Civil War

TIL - Nov Rain

Prostitute- Coma or RQ

Okay that makes a little more sense to me.

I agree with Catcher and Estranged and TIL and NR

Edited by BirdCatcher

Dean- if you don't agree and you have some free time it would be cool to see some of your comparisons, even if just song title-song title

Evergreen- good point on the Maddy and Civil War thing , even used part of the same quote. Not that I hadn't noticed before, just seemed like Sorry and Civil War are both kinda big and powerful rockers that have a slower tempo.

Never thought about Sorry like that before but yeah I can see where you're going with it. Major difference is tempo though. CW really pulls you forward and then drops you into double time for the outro. Sorry tempo is plodding and has a sedative effect. Sorry's outro is in double time though and is the best part of the song imo.

It's not that easy but sometimes structure like DC and Sorry. Twat has the riffs up front like PC but it's a diff vibe. I could see Shacklers as the It's so easy of CD. If u listen to vocal of CD it's like vocal of Jungle in the verses with that undercutting guitar style.

CD- Jungle.

Better - SCOM

SOD - Yesterdays

ITW- LLD

TWAT - Paradise City

Catcher- Estranged

Scraped- OTGM

Riad - Think about you

Sorry - Don't Cry

IRS - Brownstone

Madagascar - Civil War

TIL - Nov Rain

Prostitute- Coma or RQ

Okay that makes a little more sense to me.

I agree with Catcher and Estranged and TIL and NR

Chinese Democracy is Back Off Bitch

Shackler's Revenge is My World

Better is You're Crazy

Street of Dreams is Since I Don't Have You

If The World is Live and Let Die

There Was A Time is One in a Million

Catcher In The Rye is The Garden

Scraped is Out Ta Get Me

Riad N' the Bedouins is Right Next Door to Hell

Sorry is Don't Damn Me

I.R.S. is 14 Years

Madagascar is Civil War

This I Love is Estranged

Prostitute is So Fine

Most of these judgments made by feel/tone rather than the actual dynamics of the music. A lot of these are a stretch as Chinese Democracy has a lot more songs about regret than the older albums do.

CD- Jungle.

Shacklers - ISE

Better - SCOM

SOD - Breakdown

ITW- So Fine

TWAT - Civil War

Catcher- Estranged

Scraped- Dont damn me

Riad - Right next door to hell

Sorry - Don't Cry

IRS - OTGM

Madagascar - The Garden

TIL - Since I dont have you

Prostitute- Dead Horse

I think it's more like this;

Chinese Democracy - November Rain

Shackler's Revenge - Think About You

Better - 14 Years

Street of Dreams - Youth Gone Wild

If The World - Shackler's Revenge

There Was A Time - Estranged

Catcher In The Rye - Atlas Shrugged

Scraped - Estranged

Riad N' the Bedouins - Right Next Door To Hell

Sorry - Beautiful Dangerous ft. Fergie

I.R.S. - Rocket Queen

Madagascar - Oklahoma

This I Love - Welcome To The Jungle

Prostitute - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

In all seriousness, There Was A Time seems a nice sequel to Estranged. This I Love is obv part of the Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged trilogy. Street of Dreams could have been on the illusions and maybe Catcher has a tiny Yesterdays kinda vibe but the rest are just a refreshing direction for a great band like UYI was from Appetite.

I'll jump on the wagon just as the wagon's leaving town.....

Chinese Democracy - Welcome to the Jungle: This one is easy, mostly because of the stop-n-start guitar intro. There's not much other connection though... It's the first song and a sort of statement of intent for the rest of the album.

Shackler's Revenge - It's So Easy: The reason for this is the low song verses, an early rock song on the album that lots of people love but most don't think of as one of the main highlights.

Better - Sweet Child O Mine: The guitar intros, both just one guitar playing a simple circus-like slow picking pattern. The pop-like melody, it just seems like this song was intended to be the SCOM of this album. The fact it was the second single also relates to this point much like the CD:WTTJ connection being the first single

Street of Dreams: November Rain/Don't Cry: I have to pick 2 because it's sort of like a blend of these songs. It reminds me in the way it's structured of Don't Cry, the catchy melancholy piano and build-up like NR. If I had to pick one I would pick NR. This song is the most illusion-esque of the album.

If The World - Pretty Tied Up: Both these are sort of odd-ball songs that somehow don't sound completely off with the rest of the album. Both songs I rate higher on their respective albums than it seems most do, so that's another connection.

There Was a Time - Estranged: This one was pretty easy. The epic song on their respective albums in my opinion that is largely not based on piano (I know Estranged was written on piano but c'mon, it's the guitar that brings the song to life). The epic instrumentals, the various section, some of the best solos GNR ever had. The epic ending.

Catcher In the Rye - Breakdown: The piano mini-epic on both albums. Both sound sort of weird for GNR and both have a piano line that doesn't stick in your memory as much as say NR or SOD but both manage to be a diamond in the rough regardless. Both have strange endings (catcher with the solo and mess of sound, breakdown with the spoken word. Both endings seem to fall apart in a way you wouldn't expect/hope they would, unfortunately.

Scraped - Bad Apples: Bad but catchy rock song that you forget about. Both deal with overall feeling positive while trying to ignore the negatives in life, not trying to cover up the negatives but trying not to focus on them and just enjoy life.

Rhiad and the Bedouins - Perfect Crime: Both could be pretty great but are really fucked up with production and feel unfinished. Both have sort of weak guitar solos.

Sorry - Get in the Ring: Both are sort of a fuck-you to the people who hate on Axl. Both aren't really all that interesting musically.

IRS - Don't Damn Me: Simple but great rock songs. Both are underrated imo. It seems Axl is coming from a similar place with both songs lyrically, not sure how to pin-point it exactly.

Madagascar - Paradise City: The anthemic song of where Axl is at the time when both albums were recorded. I know they don't sound the same but they're really centerpieces to their respective albums without being too overtly epic in nature like TWAT or NR. Both talk about breaking free, paradise city in a fun real life sense and Madagascar in a mental state sense.

The I Love - Knockin on Heavens Door: Both really cheesy and boring live. You can tell Axl really likes both songs (how long TIL has been around without being left behind and emotional and how drawn out and often KOHD is played live). Repetitive lyrics, supposed to be more epic than they are.

Prostitute - Coma: Like If the World and PTU, a WTF moment on their albums. Both epic in nature but somewhat forgotten about looking back on the albums. Of course, Coma is far better than prostitute but this comparison isn't based on quality.

These are some really cool ones that I almost wrote down but changed at the last minute. Shacklers, Catcher, and Riad I had the exact answers before I changed them. Thanks to everyone who posted a response. We come to the message board to discuss the band and the music thats all the thread was intended to be, if you thought it was stupid then you didn't have to respond. As for "Sailaway" I was surprised that you went to the second page of the forum just to knock the thread. Worked out alright though, cause we got this really cool comparison before the thread went away.