This has got to be the worst and best NuGuns show ever

Black Sabbath

Wait a minute, Axl wanted to leave but the promoter locked the doors so he couldn't and... Axl went back on stage? Is this the first time somebody tried to force Axl to do something and it actually worked?

I reckon this is true. All exits were locked when I had to bring my son out early that night. I went outside with him to meet my wife and the staff told me to come back to that exact door within a few minutes,as all doors at the o2 were locked and it would be the only way to get back in. So I guess I was the only person to get back in that night.Granted it was before he left the stage!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure,"Venue Managers" and "unnamed" Security rent-a-cops,and Ex Mods are ALWAYS in the know about slash t-shirts And "Locking the doors to prevent Axl leaving" making up Drama to make themselves top dogs in a pissing contest.

It was an interview given by the venue manager to the local paper with pictures and all sorts AND there was a local radio interview so it was the guy and that's what he said! I know Axl's shit doesn't stink in your eyes but stop being such an ass kisser seriously! :rolleyes:

This was the best I can find but the local paper interview with the venue manager is out there somewhere.

**Updated**

Promoters MCD have since issued the following statement:

"Despite every effort being made by promoters to ensure Guns N' Roses would go on stage on time, they went on at 22.26hrs having been due to be on stage at 21.45hrs, support artist finished at 21:00hrs.

During the second song Axl requested members of crowd who were throwing plastic glass's containing unknown substances to immediately stop or he would have no option but to leave the stage. He confirmed band's wish to perform stating "we want to stay..one more bottle and we go home". Despite his continued appeals, having tried to continue performing for 22 minutes, people continued throwing unknown substances leaving artist with no choice but to leave the stage.

From the stage MCD Promoter Denis Desmond again appealed to audience to refrain from throwing items and stated that the band would be back on stage shortly.

The artist was prevented from leaving the venue by the Promoter and following backstage discussions Guns N' Roses went back on stage at 23.20 hrs and performed their full set until 00.53 hrs.

While the artist has a long history for being late on stage (Slane 1992 - crowd waiting 2 hours and last weekend's UK Reading festival), NO artist should be subjected to missiles and unknown substances being thrown at them. However, despite this the band went back on stage after people stopped throwing items performing their full set of songs in full.

MCD and The 02 wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to late running of the show."

I'm aware,I have mentioned help in resizing it in Support.

Sorry for the wrongly percieved outburst at you.

Do you want it resizing? I'll do it for you in a couple of seconds if you want?

Edit: Guns_N_Roses_by_BonePeeler1.jpg

Thank you Dazey :thumbsup:

That said,I am hesitant to believe producers,newspapers,and other media maggots,many who profit over sensationalism and who decline to air their bowel movements in public.

It's all about status,and airing others dirty laundry that keeps them as "politically correct,upstanding citizens."

*Bring Back Damn Smooth*

Edited by sailaway

Guest FreeAsAChild

I was at it. Absolute brilliance. Although I must say I probably enjoyed the 06 show in Dublin a little better,but maybe that was because it was my first Guns gig & there was no hassle!

My night began with me sitting beside these two idiots who had seen them in Slane twenty years back. They had decided before the gig that new Guns were awful and spent the first two songs with them shouting 'this is shit' in my ear. The reason for this of course was that they were perceived as 'late' on stage. The reason for this perception was the British press going mad about the Reading disaster, influencing everyone. I could see DJ, Ron and Richard from where I was sitting, standing at the side of the stage watching the techs move everything off. This lasted from 9.30 - 10.15. GNR went on at 10.20. I kinda flipped at these guys after Jungle. Told them to leave if they were going to be annoying me. Thankfully and, somewhat surprisingly, they did.

The gas thing was that I could see all the bottles bring thrown from where I was sitting. It wasn't four of five, it was more like twenty. You could see the frustration with Richard and DJ especially, both of them made 'Bring it on' motions to the guys throwing stuff. When GnR walked off a load of people around me were asking 'what's going on?', obviously. A couple of girls asked me what the story was, I told them that this was not abnormal, that they'd be back and they'd be great. They left anyway.

When GnR did get back I had about ten seats to myself, which I sprawled out on and enjoyed Axl's great vocal performance. It was a great gig. There was little banter between Axl & the crowd but it's understandable.

The funniest thing was the woman who came out to explain Axl leaving (he'd done a good job himself). 'We're experiencing some technical difficulties.' Thousands of people simultaneously went 'WAYYYYYYYY'. Hilarious.

For weeks after it I got to endure hearing how pathetic GNR had been on Radio Nova and other stations! There wasn't a single person that I spoke with that had positive words about the gig. I really enjoyed it and even if I'd known that would have happened I'd still have gone.

Edited by FreeAsAChild

I was at it. Absolute brilliance. Although I must say I probably enjoyed the 06 show in Dublin a little better,but maybe that was because it was my first Guns gig & there was no hassle!

My night began with me sitting beside these two idiots who had seen them in Slane twenty years back. They had decided before the gig that new Guns were awful and spent the first two songs with them shouting 'this is shit' in my ear. The reason for this of course was that they were perceived as 'late' on stage. The reason for this perception was the British press going mad about the Reading disaster, influencing everyone. I could see DJ, Ron and Richard from where I was sitting, standing at the side of the stage watching the techs move everything off. This lasted from 9.30 - 10.15. GNR went on at 10.20. I kinda flipped at these guys after Jungle. Told them to leave if they were going to be annoying me. Thankfully and, somewhat surprisingly, they did.

The gas thing was that I could see all the bottles bring thrown from where I was sitting. It wasn't four of five, it was more like twenty. You could see the frustration with Richard and DJ especially, both of them made 'Bring it on' motions to the guys throwing stuff. When GnR walked off a load of people around me were asking 'what's going on?', obviously. A couple of girls asked me what the story was, I told them that this was not abnormal, that they'd be back and they'd be great. They left anyway.

When GnR did get back I had about ten seats to myself, which I sprawled out on and enjoyed Axl's great vocal performance. It was a great gig. There was little banter between Axl & the crowd but it's understandable.

The funniest thing was the woman who came out to explain Axl leaving (he'd done a good job himself). 'We're experiencing some technical difficulties.' Thousands of people simultaneously went 'WAYYYYYYYY'. Hilarious.

For weeks after it I got to endure hearing how pathetic GNR had been on Radio Nova and other stations! There wasn't a single person that I spoke with that had positive words about the gig. I really enjoyed it and even if I'd known that would have happened I'd still have gone.

Great that you enjoyed it under the circumstances. I don't get guys who buy tickets only to try to start shit. It seems to be those same people who complain about what a waste of money the show was. Idiots. Again though, glad you enjoyed the show and had some space to yourself afterwards. At least now you can say you were at a truly unique (and unusual) Guns N' Roses show.

I was also at this gig....heres my view for anyone who cares :xmasschef:

Was right in the middle front row with my missus. Couldnt have had a better seat in the house being honest!!!

The night started great apart from the opening act Danko Jones who werent my cup of tea but passed the time. Similar to one of the above posts as time came close to the gig, DJ Ashba did his rounds of high fiving fans which was amazing. He was very interactive..Bumble was having some banter from side stage with the fans etc. I forget the time slots at this stage or the way it all went but remember Ron and Richard with their Guitars on them for an age at the side of the stage about 60 minutes before the light actually went out. They looked frustrated at the delay and I can honestly this was visible.

That didn’t bother me or the people around us as I assume everyone knew Axl and how late he could be. I guess we had all planned a late night as you do with GNR....and Im cool with that. At this stage there was already several boos from a few knobs which lead to a nervous feeling amongst the crowd... which if I can remember discussing with random’ers was felt throughout!

Chinese blasted through the speakers and the arena went bananas and I was thinking, "great, boos have gone" but we couldn’t hear a word Axl was saying through the mic and the mix was off. He looked seriously pissed off with that and seemed very rushed and hyped.

That said, Axl requested that the sound pack in his back pocket was fixed...He kind of miss-queued a few words (nothing major) in Chinese and he became extremely frustrated with the techy fiddling around with wires and tape while he was trying to sign and let rip.....

Come the end of Chinese Axl ripped the pack of (believe it was for his ear piece) and threw it at the techy guy...again who’s fault was this?? Axl for being late or having shit techys. Anyway that’s a different debate...

Jungle was next and the mood felt nervous as you could see there was fans who felt "hard done by" the wait and by the fact that you couldn’t hear a word from the Axl which lead to increasing boos from may sections of the crowd. In my opinion there was no going back on the tension between GNR and the crowd at this stage unless Axl tried to diffuse the situation.

I am very pro Axl and GNR in its current form, but Axl should have simply interacted with the crowd after Chinese or Jungle to lighten the mood. Not much to ask for. Again, nobody needs to tell me "hes always like that" etc. but I feel that sometime...only sometimes, he could have ate humble pie and should have had to earn his money that night. Anyway Im well over that now ha!

Again, I was right upfront in the exact middle and can honestly say, 1 CUP and 1 BOTTLE was thrown up on stage. The cup missed Axl and some towley came on and cleaned up a cup of tea sized wet patch at the side of the stage. Axl dealt with this and didnt flinch, but stopped the band asking for this to stop.

Few moments later I recall a full bottle of water being thrown onto the stage with the lid off with the contents splash over Axl which was the final straw and off he goes. (Again this is all subject to memory so please correct me with the sequence of events, but he did get hit).

Axl walks off and band follow, remember Rons looks of disapproval towards the fans.

Anyway after an hours wait, house light pop on and im dying for a piss where I remember moving back to the back of the arena not sure to stay or go as I know being a GNR fan, house lights on mean lights out as far as the shows concerned. Just as we thought the night was over after some producers spoke to the arena explaining what was happening (All bullshit by the way) and we were there thinking that the most anticipated gig of the year was a disaster, lights go out and stage lights flicker.

For me, GNR being a religion felt actually weird at this point. For that moment before this I was I thinking should I hate Axl and GNR considering this happens and also after watching the Leeds gig the week before. GNR Rocked when the came back on, the band really tried to build a bridge and repair any atmospheric damage which was cool. Axl sounded great but was tense and didnt want to be there....standing centre staged not moving or interacting. I was delighted he even came back out...as was the best vocal performance I have ever heard and the band was friggin loud!!!

In terms of the cock heads that started throwing shit, no time for this crap. Im Irish. dont condone this shit but at the same time dont appreciate some of the comments in certain threads (no need to repeat them) but can assure you us Irish have a great reputation as fans in both sporting and music scenes. When it comes to scenarios where money is paid for expensive tickets (especially in recessionary times where jobs may have been lost) were no different than any other nation when it comes to these things. Ive seen GNR in many countries and have seen this when there late and witnessed similar cock heads in the crowds.

At the end of it all I went away thinking I got a concert from my hero’s, bit fucked up but was unbelievable when it got back on track.

Anyway, held all that in for a year!!! GNR Therapy for ya

Is it a piss-off that Axl showed up late? Yeah. Does that give people the right to throw shit and ruin the show or harm someone in the band? Fuck no.

The Slash shirt, thing is true. I've seen it at the Toronto shows. So whether it was that venue or it was all venues it's partially true.

Thanks to all who were there and posted their experiences. Very interesting reading. Somehow I missed this whole thing, guess I was tuned out at the time.

I found this on YouTube which documents the booing of Jungle, the dude wiping up the liquid, Axl leaving the stage, producer's announcement, etc:

Cool thread.

that sounds like me.I was also sitting next to 2 guys who had never seen them live and they didn't even like new gnr or any new material.they didn't know who was in the band,but did seem to know all the skewed reports from reading and leeds.got the feeling from them that they were settting themselves up for the gig with the mentality that they weren't going to enjoy it even if axl sang standing on his head.so i reckon you could probably echo that sort of pre show expectation to lots of the casual fans that were there.its pretty hard for us that follow every move gnr make,but most of the concert goes are casual fans and only hear the negative press,as thats all that is every published outside of these forums.

i went along to this show with great expectations having had a blast at both slane and the rds.i was really exited that it was at the o2 which has a great sound.in my mind as has been said before a combination of things resulted in the events of the night.a lot of very simple things could have avoided it.event organisers and venue staff could have announced that the show was delayed and that the show would go on late without curfew (which is what happened in the end anyway),they could have said that they would keep car parks open till after the show ended.now axl probably could have come on stage a bit more prepared,at least checked his ear piece and monitors to ensure he got the best sound/synch possible.but look i dont know why he was delayed,so maybe this was not possible.axl also should have interacted with the fans after chinese, as this would have stopped the booing and given his techs time to fix any sound problems there were at that early stage.dj probably shouldn'd have continued with the ear cupping after he was booed a couple of times, someone in the band should have said something to him.

at the end of the day i stayed and really enjoyed the show.but i went to the show on a real high,expecting the best show ever from guns.what i got was a great sound (ironic it was so bloody good,it's a pity the first couple of songs couldn't have sounded so good).so if i closed my eyes it was a great show.but when i looked around at the empty seats and axl just standing there when the rest of the band rocked i was a bit sad.it could have been a great night.as i said i really enjoyed it, but afterwards (and i mean for days) i was left with and empty feeling in my gut.some of you guys that were there will know how i felt.in saying that i still would go to the exact same concert again and i'm also hopeful that they will come back to ireland again.there is another big promoter here,so they can avoid mcd if need be.

oh and i almost forgot the dicks throwing bottles.yes there were many pissed fans there in every sense of the word.these guys that threw shit are dicks and were probably still dicks when they went out the following weekend.they played their part in ruining the show for everyone else,they should have been singled out and ejected.i have to say again what one of the earlier posters said and that is that the irish have a fantastic reputation when it comes to all sorts of event,but there are always a minority that cause problems,but this is the same in every country in the world bar none.

i have to say again what one of the earlier posters said and that is that the irish have a fantastic reputation when it comes to all sorts of event,but there are always a minority that cause problems,but this is the same in every country in the world bar none.

word