"rrhof will be a trainwreck" - sorum

sleishman drums

"You know, I don’t want to say, because then this will be all over the internet and I’ll just get a bunch of shit for it. The problem is that a lot of the fans don’t even take what I have to say with a grain of salt."

Yep, Matt has you guys down pretty well.

"It's only rock & roll, my god! It's not rocket science."

I think this here is exactly why the band was doomed. Axl has the exact opposite opinion. He wants to go beyond rock and roll; in all the behind-the-scenes interviews you can read about how intensely and seriously he takes his music, how he talks about the spiritual energy invested into it, how he doesn't even want to add vocals to a song before he feels the music is something of its own.

And Chinese Democracy vs Velvet Revolver is the results of these two philosophies being separated from each other. Velvet Revolver is good rock and roll. Not much more to it beyond that. Chinese, on the other hand, while a magnificent abum, can fall flat as a rock and roll album because that's not what Axl was aiming for.

Contraband and Libertad were better rock and roll albums. Chinese Democracy was better Guns N' Roses album. It was still rock and roll just...beyond.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Steven vs Matt?

Steven is cracked out and Matt has a bigger penis.

Ooh, I'll play!

Steven's more fun to air-drum to and his snare drum alone did more for Guns n Roses than Matt Sorum ever did. Steven's style added a funk and groove to the band's sound which was an unmistakable part of their musical identity. Sorum, on the other hand, was relegated to boring timekeeper so all the druggies in the band could keep time easier. Sorum's kit sounds like midrangey off-tuned garbage, whereas Steven's kit brings the authoritative SNAP CRACKLE POP.

But most of all, Adler didn't use triggers when he was in the band, whereas Sorum did. Owned.

Edited by Popcorn's Timbre

"You know, I don’t want to say, because then this will be all over the internet and I’ll just get a bunch of shit for it. The problem is that a lot of the fans don’t even take what I have to say with a grain of salt."

I think this here is exactly why the band was doomed. Axl has the exact opposite opinion. He wants to go beyond rock and roll; in all the behind-the-scenes interviews you can read about how intensely and seriously he takes his music, how he talks about the spiritual energy invested into it, how he doesn't even want to add vocals to a song before he feels the music is something of its own.

And Chinese Democracy vs Velvet Revolver is the results of these two philosophies being separated from each other. Velvet Revolver is good rock and roll. Not much more to it beyond that. Chinese, on the other hand, while a magnificent abum, can fall flat as a rock and roll album because that's not what Axl was aiming for.

Contraband and Libertad were better rock and roll albums. Chinese Democracy was better Guns N' Roses album. It was still rock and roll just...beyond.

Exactly. And that's why the idea of a Guns N' Roses reunion album strikes me as absurd - because this shit hasn't changed. Axl is still aiming to go beyond, the rest just wanted to rock. Why I love the Illusions is because this is the music that came out of that conflict - Axl struggling to make them go beyond, the others struggling to reign him in when its getting too far from rock and roll. I don't think Axl really got into such an intense attitude about the music until after Appetite. And asking for Use Your Illusion 3 and 4 or Appetite 2 as what you want to see from a reunion is just not reasonable.

Exactly. And that's why the idea of a Guns N' Roses reunion album strikes me as absurd - because this shit hasn't changed. Axl is still aiming to go beyond, the rest just wanted to rock. Why I love the Illusions is because this is the music that came out of that conflict - Axl struggling to make them go beyond, the others struggling to reign him in when its getting too far from rock and roll. I don't think Axl really got into such an intense attitude about the music until after Appetite. And asking for Use Your Illusion 3 and 4 or Appetite 2 as what you want to see from a reunion is just not reasonable.

If there ever was a reunion it would result in no writing. It would be a miracle if they record an EP together. At this point they are so different in style and direction if is stupid to think they would just give up their paths and compromise. Slash left because he couldn't even compromise. He didn't want any of his songs touched and the result was Slash's Snakepit.

I never noticed the drumming in GNR songs until Chinese Democracy. I remember going "jeez, steve sure likes that snare drum"

You didn't notice the drumming because you weren't there in 87. You weren't there in 91. Clearly.

Touche. I've only heard the albums.

Somehow, it seems that anything that Sorum or Adler says, can only gives Axl less cause to be on good terms with them.

Adler taking sides and talking about Axl being the one holding the grudges and Slash being all sweet and fine, is an example.

I also remember something from a few years ago when Matt and Axl met and supposedly made up.

There was a short video interview that came out after that where Matt was asked about Axl and he says something very casually along the lines of 'how he'd been doing good work and releasing albums since they parted ways but that he didn't really know if Axl had done any shit in comparison'. It was said casually but in a very unflattering, dismissive way.

Now, anything that Sorum or Adler say about reunions, possible tours or a HOF show will probably just piss Axl off some more and erase any chance that he'd attend an induction.

I agree. The stuff Steven said just ruined the chance (if there ever was one) for Axl going to rrhof. What did he expect? That when he says these things Axl's just gonna be totally enthusiastic about a reunion and a world tour? :unsure:

I've always just kinda shrugged of what Steven says cause he seems so harmless but what he said about rrhof and Axl really annoyed me, while reading I just sat there thinking "shut up! You're completely fucking up every chance of Axl going now!"

Matt seems to compliment Axl when he "needs" him....when VR was at their high point he talked ill of Axl but when Scott was kicked out he trash talked Scott saying how much better Axl was and that he at least could sell out stadiums, to me it sounded like he was sucking up to Axl cause VR was over and so it couldn't hurt getting on Axl's good side

Fatt Scrotum needs to shut his mouth.

I never liked his playing, never like his face, and surely never liked his loud mouth!

+1 His laugh even :fuckyou:

What his ex-bandmates say in interviews probably pales to things they've said to Axl in person while they were still together. I don't think he'd care much what Steven or Matt said on some website.

I don't think they ever said shit to Axl. Nobody did. Matt never did. The day he was fired was the exception and he went into it knowing that Axl would fire him. Steven was more fearless, but in a fucked up way. Bottom line he was only the drummer, didn't matter what he said. Everybody else was always just trying to keep the peace or they resigned themselves to the lead singer syndrome x10 and they'd go get drunk or stoned. Axl

was pretty prone to getting his own way, arguing, digging in his heels, consulting his therapists/psychics, flipping out and firing everybody. Anything that needed saying was said to management. And at that point Doug was pretty much managing Axl, not the band.

I think people overestimate the amount of time Matt (or anybody else in the band at that point) actually spent with Axl. Axl had a separate dressing room, he traveled separately. Axl didn't show up for soundchecks or rehearsals, there were no group interviews. There were never band meetings, it was the reps or friend of the month relaying messages or meetings without Axl because he never showed up. Axl was impossible to deal with for a lot, if not most, of that time. Nobody in the band shared any of his interests (unless they were trying to suck up).

Matt was never in his social circle. They didn't see each other at all off the road. Matt has said at least once that Axl said bye to him at the airport and said 'see you in a year' or some such thing.

What his ex-bandmates say in interviews probably pales to things they've said to Axl in person while they were still together. I don't think he'd care much what Steven or Matt said on some website.

In the TMS interview he said he took things very personally and then he had to work on getting over it and that it sometimes took a long time to do that, so I do think he cares to some degree what they say.

I don't think they ever said shit to Axl. Nobody did. Matt never did. The day he was fired was the exception and he went into it knowing that Axl would fire him. Steven was more fearless, but in a fucked up way. Bottom line he was only the drummer, didn't matter what he said. Everybody else was always just trying to keep the peace or they resigned themselves to the lead singer syndrome x10 and they'd go get drunk or stoned. Axl

was pretty prone to getting his own way, arguing, digging in his heels, consulting his therapists/psychics, flipping out and firing everybody. Anything that needed saying was said to management. And at that point Doug was pretty much managing Axl, not the band.

I think people overestimate the amount of time Matt (or anybody else in the band at that point) actually spent with Axl. Axl had a separate dressing room, he traveled separately. Axl didn't show up for soundchecks or rehearsals, there were no group interviews. There were never band meetings, it was the reps or friend of the month relaying messages or meetings without Axl because he never showed up. Axl was impossible to deal with for a lot, if not most, of that time. Nobody in the band shared any of his interests (unless they were trying to suck up).

Matt was never in his social circle. They didn't see each other at all off the road. Matt has said at least once that Axl said bye to him at the airport and said 'see you in a year' or some such thing.

Snooze 72, you weren't there so you have no idea what was said to Axl,or by whom.

Somtimes intoxicated people can say some pretty fucked up shit.

As for consulting a psych,a therapist,or even a Psychic,if you are labelling Arcos Celios/ Sharon Maynard, It shows self-awareness to seek out help for guidance,anger management,and personal issues.

As far as not traveling with the band,some people need more "down time" than others.

He punches Vince Neil's wife before the show.

Jabba the hut has a wife ? :shocked:

In the TMS interview he said he took things very personally and then he had to work on getting over it and that it sometimes took a long time to do that, so I do think he cares to some degree what they say.

Damn straight,in addition to the media's dirty-laundry parade,now there is the glorious internet where anonymous fuckwits can post very hurtful things while they are behind an internet screen.

If you had to live with all the negative propaganda,speculation,and flat-out lies about you,I can only imagine the toll it takes on a sensitive individual.

Whoever said "sticks and stones" rhyme was dead wrong,words can wound as well.