Ashba Interview from Nuvo

Jordan Rose

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I'm a fan too, so my motivation is to stay true to Slash's sound.

I sort of resent that. Slash isn’t dead, nor is his vibe the prerequisite upon which Axl is developing New GN’R. I hope.

If Axl wants a vibe true to Slash then why not recruit Slash rather than an imitator? It’s disappointing if New GN’R is full circle and presently we have “classic GN’R” in everything but faces.

I sort of resent that. Slash isn’t dead, nor is his vibe the prerequisite upon which Axl is developing New GN’R. I hope.

If Axl wants a vibe true to Slash then why not recruit Slash rather than an imitator? It’s disappointing if New GN’R is full circle and presently we have “classic GN’R” in everything but faces.

It's obvious Axl's done a 180 from his original plan in the late 90s. He hired a guitarist who looks like Slash, changed the image of the band back to a classic look, stopped playing new songs (CD isn't new anymore), covers lots of classic rock songs (sure sign of not moving forward), stopped releasing albums, etc.

DJ is doing what he should be doing and that's be entertaining on stage and cover Slash's stuff note for note. It's worked out pretty well this tour.

I love it. Do you honestly believe Axl "changed the image of the band back to a classic look?" Seriously? You really think Axl tells the fucking band what they should look like?

What part of the past 11 years are you watching?

It's quite obvious Axl doesn't give a shit what the players are wearing or looking like. It's about the music.

That is a good thing.

"He hired a guitarist who looks like Slash..." HA! That's funny. DJ Ashba has a hat that's similar to Slash's. They both have dark hair. Wow, he's a fucking clone. :rolleyes:

I think he's addressing the expectations of the audience. I think it's fair to assume that the average person going to a Guns N' Roses concert wants to hear the guitar work done faithfully, so DJ probably just means he tries to stay true to Slash's sound and play the songs faithfully because that's what people are expecting at the concert. The average person in the crowd wants to hear the original Sweet Child O' Mine solo, not some new take on it. It's obvious DJ is a big fan of Slash and Guns music in general so it's a natural that he'll want to stay close to that sound.

I think he's addressing the expectations of the audience. I think it's fair to assume that the average person going to a Guns N' Roses concert wants to hear the guitar work done faithfully, so DJ probably just means he tries to stay true to Slash's sound and play the songs faithfully because that's what people are expecting at the concert. The average person in the crowd wants to hear the original Sweet Child O' Mine solo, not some new take on it. It's obvious DJ is a big fan of Slash and Guns music in general so it's a natural that he'll want to stay close to that sound.

Robin Finck's take on Slash's solos were always controversial. Many people going to the shows expect to hear the music exactly as they heard it on the record. The days of improvisation are over. We are lucky most of the band has been given solo spots. DJ made the music more familiar. Its only Ron who puts his own take on the songs. He's pretty much a compromise of Slash and Buckethead. His own person.

Not sure what's the shit about another record not coming out. There will be a new record.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Some of you make me laugh....if Axl really wanted the old GNR image and sound back he would just call Slash.

Slash has been waiting for the phone call for a long time....and I have a feeling he will keep waiting until he's too old to even play anymore.

That's where your wrong Slash isn't waiting. You need to get over it!

It's obvious Axl's done a 180 from his original plan in the late 90s. He hired a guitarist who looks like Slash, changed the image of the band back to a classic look, stopped playing new songs (CD isn't new anymore), covers lots of classic rock songs (sure sign of not moving forward), stopped releasing albums, etc.

DJ is doing what he should be doing and that's be entertaining on stage and cover Slash's stuff note for note. It's worked out pretty well this tour.

I love it. Do you honestly believe Axl "changed the image of the band back to a classic look?" Seriously? You really think Axl tells the fucking band what they should look like?

What part of the past 11 years are you watching?

It's quite obvious Axl doesn't give a shit what the players are wearing or looking like. It's about the music.

That is a good thing.

"He hired a guitarist who looks like Slash..." HA! That's funny. DJ Ashba has a hat that's similar to Slash's. They both have dark hair. Wow, he's a fucking clone. :rolleyes:

You would be right on your first point if it wasn't for one little bitty thing. It hasn't been the same people the past 11 years! His vision was industrial, sort of metallic, sort of weird around 2002 with Buckethead and Robin, Axl looked the part, everyone did. Flash forward to 2011 Axl replaced his industrial goth with an 80s nostalgic/modern rock guy and he replaced his creepy awkward guitarist with a normal looking rock n roll dude. He changed his look back to his original look (pretty much), he replaced the weird songs in the set like OMG and Silworms with ACDC covers.

So again, what are you contesting about Axl going in a 180 from the industrial style/sound back to a more roots rock n roll sound? What part of the past 11 years are you watching?

If you squint your eyes DJ and Slash are the same person, it's way more than just the top hat and black hair man (I had not even considered the hair). They move the same, his does all the Slash mannerisms, he admits he tries to sound like Slash. I don't see what you have against trying to be like the best, at least he's got his sights set high. You're kidding yourself if you don't think people at every single GNR show don't see that guy on stage and just assume he's the guy from the albums they have or saw a video of on TV or youtube. I know people will scoff at this because we know so much about GNR how could people NOT know?! It's been years since Slash left, you might say. Well, when your band is hardly ever talked about except the classic lineup, there's no promo of the current guys and there never was, and all that than of course tons of people will think that.

The question is whether or not Ashba wore a hat like that prior to GNR, or he incorporated it because it was part of what he thinks GNR should look like. There's no promo of the current guys including Axl, so take that into consideration.

Not a lot of bands have "last man standing" lead singers... a lot of people give the name up, because they see a lot of oldies artists where there's 5 groups touring as The Platters or something along those lines, yet everyone in the band is 21 and there might be some old dude, and he might not even be an original member. Foreigner is a case where Mick Jones produces it and owns the name but didn't go out on the road with them, but they have a band member in there which had some pretty bloody feuds, Jeff from Dokken, playing in Foreigner.

As far as how he plays on stage, I just think he plays like he would if he were touring in any other band, and don't think he's trying to be that much of a Slash imitator the way someone would be an Elvis imitator. Why would Axl need an extra guitarist in GNR when he has 2 that could do Slash's parts? This is more about what's coming, he's bringing him in for more than just wearing a hat and playing Slash's solos. I don't think Axl wants to discuss new music because the record company will be up his ass about it. I think when they're halfway done, they'll start mentioning things, but you're talking about a while from now. Spring sounds like they're just going to take time off, chill out, do other projects, odds are Bumble will continue to get therapy or keep preoccupied with his protege, and helping her at least in the US.

Now, if Axl lets him go and replaces him with a MI/Berklee kid because it's cost effective, then he really would be turning it into an oldies act. There's hundreds of guys who are in backing bands for pop stars that came from hard rock, metal, and indie rock backgrounds, had their own bands, didn't work out, that would be chomping at the bit to join GNR and not have to look at Justin Timberlake or Kanye's ass for 2 hours a night.

Anyone who thinks Ashba looks like Slash clearly has absolutely no fashion sense. He might have a hat - yes. It is not even a similar hat and 50 percent of celebrities wear hats. As for hair color - Slash has natural black hair and Ashba dyes his, it is a completely different look. Ashba wears tons of make up whereas Slash is totally natural. Ashba has tattoos all over his body, including his neck, it is a pretty "modern" rock look, emo or newer metal or wherever it comes from. Slash is a 70's dude. Not even DJ's stage clothes have any similarities with Slash's. I just think you are all revealing how little clue you have when it comes to style

Some of you make me laugh....if Axl really wanted the old GNR image and sound back he would just call Slash.

Slash has been waiting for the phone call for a long time....and I have a feeling he will keep waiting until he's too old to even play anymore.

I don't think any reunions made it about the image as much as seeing the band members themselves up on stage playing and interacting. I've seen a few reunions, and it was always about the excitement of seeing them together on a stage playing the songs we know and love, and being able to play those songs. To me, if GNR did get together, you have better sound systems and lighting, and the band still has the ability to deliver them. Even if you think Adler's not a great drummer, you would get a better sounding show now than you would have at that time. There would be more money poured into the show as much as there would be into their pockets, even though it's a given Axl would get the bulk of it.

I just think that's a "retirement nest egg" he doesn't want to tap into right now, plus worked 15 years on rebuilding GNR into the 21st century. Lou Reed reunited VU just to stop the mythology of some of it, but that video of their concert is really tedious to watch, and didn't catch one of their better shows.

:rofl-lol: slash is not only waiting, he is also crying :shrugs:

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I think signing Dj was more about the installation of a player with a bluesy, soulful mainstream prowess.

I don’t think appearance has been subject to conscious alteration. The present line-up coincidentally resembles a rock piece; I don’t think the vibe of an album would be representative of the physical appearance of GN’R.

The release of Chinese Democracy was November 2008. There have been two tours post-release. The tracks remain largely new to the public.

I don’t think covers indicate the future of New GN’R. Sonic Reducer, Baba O’Riley, GYBR, ABITW, Riff Raff. Dead Boys, The Who, Elton John, AC/DC. Those aren’t “bad” influences from which to direct New GN’R.

There is no reason to assume Axl doesn’t desire to release more albums.

:rofl-lol: slash is not only waiting, he is also crying :shrugs:

And how do you know this? Did Axl tell you?