just watch rio 2001 again

blake-a-mania

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wyMAPNu3u9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Axl seems a bit low in the mix so you cant hear him at times, but apart from that this songs sounds amazing! especially the ending when everyone else stops playing and it's just axl

I'm really hoping they do bring it back now

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RiR3 is one of the coolest shows. I remember paying 80 bucks for it on ebay in 2001 -- the VHS had Portuguese writing on it.

This is the lineup that I would love to see come back. Sadly the original gunners are more likely to get back together before Bucket, Brain, Huge, and Finck ever will because there is no huge demand for it. These guys were the main contributors to Chinese Democracy and the ones that kick-started nuGuns - and the only lineup where I have, in Bucket and Brain's case, extensively followed and been a huge fan of all of their other projects.

Plus everyone was a character and it was so anti-"classic GNR" which is what I've always wanted and what I feel Axl has always wanted for the most part. He felt driven to put a few traditional hard rock sounding songs on Chinese and still plays a lot of the Appetite songs live merely to appease the fans and keep them in the stands. If he had his way I don't think he would ever touch Appetite material again. I love Chinese and I'd love to be able to see the guys that had the most input in its creation live!! I had tickets to see them in New Mexico in 2002 but we all know how that tour turned out don't we?? :thumbsdown:

PS: I also would have loved to hear what the music would have sounded like had Axl gone down the "Oh My God-style" path during the Freese & Finck era in 1998-1999. Everything on Chinese sounds much more traditional than "Oh My God" (which is really saying something). That leads me to believe there is a completely different sounding album collecting dust somewhere in a vault that is much harder, darker, and more experimental than anything Axl has ever done --- and we will NEVER hear it. :anger:

Edited by Danker

Guest ben9785

RiR3 is one of the coolest shows. I remember paying 80 bucks for it on ebay in 2001 -- the VHS had Portuguese writing on it.

This is the lineup that I would love to see come back. Sadly the original gunners are more likely to get back together before Bucket, Brain, Huge, and Finck ever will because there is no huge demand for it. These guys were the main contributors to Chinese Democracy and the ones that kick-started nuGuns - and the only lineup where I have, in Bucket and Brain's case, extensively followed and been a huge fan of all of their other projects.

Plus everyone was a character and it was so anti-"classic GNR" which is what I've always wanted and what I feel Axl has always wanted for the most part. He felt driven to put a few traditional hard rock sounding songs on Chinese and still plays a lot of the Appetite songs live merely to appease the fans and keep them in the stands. If he had his way I don't think he would ever touch Appetite material again. I love Chinese and I'd love to be able to see the guys that had the most input in its creation live!! I had tickets to see them in New Mexico in 2002 but we all know how that tour turned out don't we?? :thumbsdown:

PS: I also would have loved to hear what the music would have sounded like had Axl gone down the "Oh My God-style" path during the Freese & Finck era in 1998-1999. Everything on Chinese sounds much more traditional than "Oh My God" (which is really saying something). That leads me to believe there is a completely different sounding album collecting dust somewhere in a vault that is much harder, darker, and more experimental than anything Axl has ever done --- and we will NEVER hear it. :anger:

I agree with you completely. It looks unlikely that there would be the right circumstances for Finck, Buckethead and/or Brain to rejoin and like you said, no 'demand' for it in comparison to a reunion.

That rio show I still enjoy watching and even right up until 2006 before Finck left I had a hope that his presence alone, as a prominent member of the previous (2001/02) line up would keep a 'link' with the unreleased music, meaning that you wouldn't have lead guitar parts replaced by Cashba or the like.

People consider the lineup of that era to be a circus or other derogatory term but that's what I liked about it so much, Axl coming back with a new beast, against everyones expectations of what GNR is or should be, and taking his own direction.

Right now in 2011 I think the current lineup is a little 'easier' for classic GNR fans to accept in terms of their appearance and style.

I would have wanted to see some of the remaining Chinese Democracy songs like "The General", "Soul Monster" etc turn up on a new album but now I'm a little concerned that the drum and guitar parts would be changed/replaced.

We can only hope that, if the door for releasing new music opens, that they might collect all this unreleased music from the vault and offer it in the form of a box set or exclusive downloadable content.

Edited by ben9785

I agree with you completely. It looks unlikely that there would be the right circumstances for Finck, Buckethead and/or Brain to rejoin and like you said, no 'demand' for it in comparison to a reunion.

That rio show I still enjoy watching and even right up until 2006 before Finck left I had a hope that his presence alone, as a prominent member of the previous (2001/02) line up would keep a 'link' with the unreleased music, meaning that you wouldn't have lead guitar parts replaced by Cashba or the like.

People consider the lineup of that era to be a circus or other derogatory term but that's what I liked about it so much, Axl coming back with a new beast, against everyones expectations of what GNR is or should be, and taking his own direction.

Right now in 2011 I think the current lineup is a little 'easier' for classic GNR fans to accept in terms of their appearance and style.

I would have wanted to see some of the remaining Chinese Democracy songs like "The General", "Soul Monster" etc turn up on a new album but now I'm a little concerned that the drum and guitar parts would be changed/replaced.

We can only hope that, if the door for releasing new music opens, that they might collect all this unreleased music from the vault and offer it in the form of a box set or exclusive downloadable content.

You're spot on. The circus aspect is what I liked about it. You summed up my feelings on why I think of this band as a little inferior -- "Right now in 2011 I think the current lineup is a little 'easier' for classic GNR fans to accept in terms of their appearance and style." And that to me is really sad. I wished Axl would still maintain his "i don't give a fuck attitude" in terms of both music and appearance. He had that attitude for so long and that is why Chinese Democracy sounds the way it does and why people are on extreme sides in terms of their acceptance of it. --- Its only in recent years that he HAS given a fuck, and any music created by this current lineup will reflect that attitude --- im not saying that its good or bad... it just IS..

There have been recent interviews about "writing, recording" with this current lineup so I bet any remaining unreleased Chinese material created from 1994-2007 will be put to bed for good - especially since basically all of the key members from 1999-2006 era GNR are gone expect the mainstays of Tommy, Dizzy, and Chris.

You were right about Finck being the link to the unreleased Chinese material.. and now that the link is gone so is any chance of that material being released. Potentially dozens of amazing songs are just gone because of one persons departure. The only hope would be for Ashba to get fired (cuz he's NEVER quitting) and have Finck come back. They left on good terms and Axl acknowledged him publicly as a positive member of the GNR legacy. **Crosses fingers**

Edited by Danker

I actually hope the band records fresh new takes. I don't want another album of protools compilations of "songs with parts recorded anytime from 1999 to 2007". I personally want the band to write mostly new material, rearrange a couple of the older songs if needed and record fresh studio takes all from the same time period. Plus I think Axl's voice is a hell of a lot better than this Rio 2001 show and the band is the best its ever been in terms of 01-now IMO

Edited by WhazUp

I actually hope the band records fresh new takes. I don't want another album of protools compilations of "songs with parts recorded anytime from 1999 to 2007". I personally want the band to write mostly new material, rearrange a couple of the older songs if needed and record fresh studio takes all from the same time period

I want new material too, but I also want Chinese Democracy 2 and 3 as it was made to be heard with the Chinese Dem lineup(s)---- like Axl has told us we'd get for years and years.

I don't see why "fresh takes" would be an issue. he released the album with Brain, Bucket, and Finck thoroughly credited and pictured years after their departure.

What if GNR had only released Use Your Illusion 1 and then promised sometime soon we'd get Use Your Illusion 2???!!! It would have been a cardinal sin to not release UYI-2 since we all know how great it is.

thats why they say ignorance is bliss i guess....

Edited by Danker

Thank god. OMG is awful.

Edited by st0n3r

Would have been the best song on Chinese Democracy if it made the cut

I can name 14 Better songs on Chinese Democracy.

Me too. Oh My God is my least favorite GNR track that Axl sang on. It has grown on me a lot over the years though.

Edited by DocBrown