just watch rio 2001 again

blake-a-mania

I liked how as soon as he finished singing, he called for the guitar straight away, he was trying everything that night, these days he plays it a bit more safe unfortunately.

I think im gonna spend my Xmas getting drunk and watching this show again. It never gets old.

I think he's still taking risks by throwing those AC/DC covers in the mix as well as Civil War and Estranged. Hell, performing difficult songs like Shackler's and This I Love every night shows he's taking risks on this tour.

Wish he'd take a risk and do something like play Chinese in its entirety and throw in Oh My God.... That'd be amazing.

you have a good point, UNFORTUNATELY hes singing was 100x better last year, however generally as a whole, this years setlist has been far far superior.

Just listen to the 02 show or even the Sydney show from last year, he really was on top form, but I am enjoying the cleaner voice he uses in some songs as of late.

If I had the choice, Id take a show with shacklers/civil war/estranged with his voice now then that of a lesser setlist with better vocals but :shrugs:

Edited by gunns5

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked how as soon as he finished singing, he called for the guitar straight away, he was trying everything that night, these days he plays it a bit more safe unfortunately.

I think im gonna spend my Xmas getting drunk and watching this show again. It never gets old.

I think he's still taking risks by throwing those AC/DC covers in the mix as well as Civil War and Estranged. Hell, performing difficult songs like Shackler's and This I Love every night shows he's taking risks on this tour.

Wish he'd take a risk and do something like play Chinese in its entirety and throw in Oh My God.... That'd be amazing.

you have a good point, UNFORTUNATELY hes singing was 100x better last year, however generally as a whole, this years setlist has been far far superior.

Just listen to the 02 show or even the Sydney show from last year, he really was on top form, but I am enjoying the cleaner voice he uses in some songs as of late.

If I had the choice, Id take a show with shacklers/civil war/estranged with his voice now then that of a lesser setlist with better vocals but :shrugs:

same here -- id take this tour's setlist over last years vocals.

O2 was fucking incredible. He sounded like 86 on Nice Boys and You Could Be Mine with Duff. I think having ex-Gunners join him onstage puts pressure on Axl, and it makes him push harder as a vocalist because he's trying to prove that he doesn't need those old members anymore. At the show I saw in Seattle last Friday when LOADED opened it seemed like he was pushing harder vocally than other shows on this tour. See the This I Love video from Seattle, one of his best and most powerful moments this tour, and I think it was because Duff was observing. Maybe i'm wrong just my hypothesis.

Edited by Danker

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

So somewhere between 2001 and 2008 Axl's vision of what the album should sound like changed from experimental to more traditional

I don’t believe Axl himself had an alteration in vision; I think it was more of the hardball of the label regarding supporting industrial GN’R that made dilution of the album happen.

So somewhere between 2001 and 2008 Axl's vision of what the album should sound like changed from experimental to more traditional

I don’t believe Axl himself had an alteration in vision; I think it was more of the hardball of the label regarding supporting industrial GN’R that made dilution of the album happen.

i doubt that label execs were in there monitoring the mixing stage of the album which is probably when the alledged "change in vision/sound" more than likely took place. The mixing stage is where you can make something sound country or metal based on the decisions that are made. (edit: and god only knows how many "final" mixes were produced from 1999 to 2007)

...if that had been the case i doubt we would have seen the album at all. I don't think Axl would have anything to do with label execs having creative input on any level. but no one really knows what went down. Most of what went on during the production of ChiDem is still myth and hearsay for the most part.

Edited by Danker

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

i doubt that label execs were in there monitoring the mixing stage of the album which is probably when the alledged "change in vision/sound" more than likely took place. The mixing stage is where you can make something sound country or metal based on the decisions that are made. (edit: and god only knows how many "final" mixes were produced from 1999 to 2007)

...if that had been the case i doubt we would have seen the album at all. I don't think Axl would have anything to do with label execs having creative input on any level. but no one really knows what went down. Most of what went on during the production of ChiDem is still myth and hearsay for the most part.

You trying to tell me the likes of Iovine (whose name has been openly thrown about) didn’t come in and attempt to dictate and impose the will of the label on GN’R?

The alteration was a result of multiple label rejections to the product handed in for release.

You trying to tell me the likes of Iovine (whose name has been openly thrown about) didn’t come in and attempt to dictate and impose the will of the label on GN’R?

The alteration was a result of multiple label rejections to the product handed in for release.

of course they TRIED to dictate whatever they could to try and get Axl to finish and release something that the mass populus would enjoy to turn a profit instead of continually digging a financial hole! But its a 2 way street. If they push too hard Axl gets pissed and doesn't do anything. Chinese Democracy is still not a "pop" & "easy to digest" album. It is VERY experimental compared to what was on the charts in 2007-2008. So i think the label gave up. Axl was at a comfortable enough place with the album in 2007 that it was released. Sure he's said things alluding to the fact that it was "NOT READY" but lets face it....had the label not pushed we would have never seen the thing.

In the latter years of its production the label stopped pushing for stylistic changes because they realized Axl wanted it his way or no way at all in terms of all creative aspects of the album -- and the label started focusing their energy on getting him to just release something regardless of its accessibility in the current market.

EDIT: the rejections were the labels way of pressuring Axl to make something poppier. that did not work. a pretty passive-aggressive way to go about it which is even more reason for me to believe that no label execs were actually in the studio aiding in creative decisions.

Edited by Danker

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

of course they TRIED to dictate whatever they could to try and get Axl to finish and release something that the mass populus would enjoy to turn a profit instead of continually digging a financial hole!

http://www.bravewords.com/news/162354

Read that. Then you will realize Iovine’s efforts in terms of changing Chinese to suit the label were a little more successful.

We had [interscope Chairman] Jimmy Iovine intervening in a not-so-productive way, and we had other guys coming and going with nutty ideas.

My summation of the whole thing is that Interscope, when they took over Geffen, really led Axl to believe that Jimmy Iovine would be involved, and would help get this record done and make it happen.

Geffen made Axl believe in Iovine’s credentials, and a result he held a lot of influence in the process.

Then he had this great idea to bring in [producer] Roy Thomas Baker to make it sound better. All he did was re-record everything three or four different times, trying to make it sound like something it didn’t need to sound like, and spend $10 million in the process.

There, clinical evidence the label was responsible for the alteration in vibe.

There is no denying Chinese was an experimentation in terms of prior Guns N’ Roses efforts; but in terms of 1999 and the final album, there’s no comparison in terms of the extent of that experimentation.

playing chinese in its entirety and oh my god would be godly rock3 rock3 rock3

as for oh my god when i first heard it was very strange and i really didnt like it, but their was something that made me listen to it again and after 3 or 4 listens i loved the song and is now easily one of my fave gnr songs.