Does Axl have problems with his voice/throat?

rudolf1978

I think Axl has worst voice than 2010 right now,and its strange that in one year his voice has less "rasp" and he sings in some songs like 2001 ( he can still do great performances)

Now ive realized something during Welcome to the jungle scream,if you check from 5:13 to 5:43,he do a very good jungle scream but he makes a sign to someone that i think is that his throat is not warm enought or he has a problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhQyzTlTsfk&feature=player_embedded#

What you think.Maybe im wrong.

I think Axl has worst voice than 2010 right now,and its strange that in one year his voice has less "rasp" and he sings in some songs like 2001 ( he can still do great performances)

Now ive realized something during Welcome to the jungle scream,if you check from 5:13 to 5:43,he do a very good jungle scream but he makes a sign to someone that i think is that his throat is not warm enought or he has a problem

I think thats why he doesnt sing with his "rasp voice" after one of the most "raspy screams" that he makes during a normal concert,he feels that hes trhoat is not responding like always.Its only my teory

Am I missing something? All the 2010 vids I saw it looked like he was winded and really struggling. I agree that now some songs sound like the 01/02 era but still I think he's doing a hell of a job now rock3

I dont know what means winded and struggling,my english is not that good,sorry,but in 2010 was singing like 91-93 in 90% of the songs.It was AXL ROSE voice again,now because we all have been listening to GNR since 1986 to this times,but if you put and MP3 of some parts of certain songs ( or even full song) to a guy who was a fan during 90s and havent listen to GNR since then he will have dificulties to find its Axl rose singing

Am I missing something? All the 2010 vids I saw it looked like he was winded and really struggling. I agree that now some songs sound like the 01/02 era but still I think he's doing a hell of a job now rock3

You won't find anything from 2011 that comes close to these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnH0DZSfX74

Edited by ITW 2012

You won't find anything from 2011 that comes close to these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnH0DZSfX74

I think its obious that in 2010 ( not the first concerts) was his best voice since 90s,in Madrid was awesome.

Axl's voice has definitely something going on, for a such a big chance from 2010 to 2011 - like he just lost 80% of his rasp all of the sudden and that's not a natural thing at all or age-related obviously (less than a year apart)... Maybe it was an health related issue that damaged in some way his vocal chords in a definitive way or maybe it's still a healing process... :shrugs:

Anyways he's still got some really great strong vocals - just a bit short of 2010 epicness...

Edited by trqster

He is hitting 50. Once singers hit 50 its the begining of the end. He should get some new vocals laid down before its too late.

Whats with the weird backing vocals ?

Hearring that take on Welcome to the Jungle, about the only aspect was the drumming. The drumming was really good.

Edited by vaida

I don't think it was a serious problem he was signalling. More that it just didn't come out right. Sometimes it just happens, and especially when you sing the way Axl sings, there's a lot more variation in the output. If you don't attack it right, it doesn't work.

In terms of overall singing voice, I think the Bronchitis is still affecting him. I remember reading somewhere that the person can still have residual problems from it for around 6 months so I think it's probably hampering his consistency through a concert. If you watch the LA gig through you'll see he rocks Jungle and is very strong in It's So Easy, but then the next couple he's more 01/02 style- I think through choice- so he can rest his throat. Then later on he starts to get stronger again.

I think after this tour it'll do him some good to take a well deserved rest, before either coming back to Europe in the summer, or hitting the studio to put out an album for the fall 2012/spring 2013

I think Axl's had some kind of respiratory infection most of the tour. Didn't notice it all when I saw him live (Orlando)- but he does sound restricted and/or congested in some way in most of the youtube videos from the tour....

Anyway, hopefully he, Ron and Tommy (both of whom have made comments about being completely fried physically) all get a good rest after the tour and freshen up for what will hopefully be a big 2012...

Axl's voice has definitely something going on, for a such a big chance from 2010 to 2011 - like he just lost 80% of his rasp all of the sudden and that's not a natural thing at all or age-related obviously (less than a year apart)... Maybe it was an health related issue that damaged in some way his vocal chords in a definitive way or maybe it's still a healing process... :shrugs:

Anyways he's still got some really great strong vocals - just a bit short of 2010 epicness...

Yeah age definately isn't a factor here. I think he is still coming back from an infection and to save the vocal chords he is doing less strenous stuff.

No doubt his voice has improved by miles since the start of the tour though. Technically. Much more tonally precise now.

Along with the age issue, over-use of certain parts of the voice (Usually the high range) can lead to issues. For someone his age, singing too aggressively can lead to him feeling more winded and worn out. For someone his age, the clean voice is considerably "safer" to use than the raspy voice. Think about this for a second...many metal singers (Ronnie James Dio, Bruce Dickinson, Joey Belladonna, Geoff Tate) are/were able to sing so well at their age because their vocals are extremely clean, none of them have any rasp in their voice at all. At the other end of the spectrum you've got Lemmy, who is barely comprehensible on stage anymore because his voice is so gravelly, and James Hetfield, who is also starting to sing with a cleaner voice as opposed to his early-days rasp.

After seeing several shows on this tour and many more online, my best guess would be Axl is trying to use the clean voice most effectively, as a preservation tactic. We saw it Wednesday night, several moments of rasp came back, most notably on Civil War. There is no doubt in my mind that he could use the raspy voice if he wanted, but the clean voice will ultimately allow him to keep singing in the range he needs much longer than with the rasp.

Axl's vocals will never be like it was back in the 90's. Just a part of life that everyone goes through. However I think we are much more critical in the way he sounds because we pay a lot more attention then the average music fan.

I think Axl's voice sounded wonderful in LA a few nights back. Madagascar and Jungle were brilliant.

There's no way someone's voice can change that much in a year, so I disagree with the notion that his age has to do with it. He still does sound great for someone approaching 50 and considering how much he must have damaged his voice back in the day, but for it to change that much from 2010 is kind of odd. I really do think from all the rasp he was doing in 2010 that he either did a bit of damage to his voice, or thought after the tour "man, I can't keep doing it like this" or something. This tour sometimes it can still come out like it did in 2010, but he goes clean a lot more often. I think that after a few shows into this tour he started to find a comfortable balance between the clean and raspy vocals and tries to "save" the rasp for when it's really needed in a song. He sounded amazing when I saw them.

Don't forget, the LA show is a fairly dry mix. We're hearing it straight from the soundboard. If we had dry soundboards of all the 2010 shows we could probably find similar instances where he slips from rasp to clean and back again, granted probably less than now, but songs like Sweet Child he usually still sang pretty clean in 2010, especially early on. It's hard to judge from audience videos sometimes.

At Rio I was extremely discouraged by Axl. Not only was his voice way off but he just didn't seem into it. Now at every show, regardless of his voice, you can tell he's giving it his all. I'm just happy to see him happy and out kicking ass.