Best solos on Chinese Democracy part II

Georgy Zhukov

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Scraped solo was Buckethead. Bumble played the solo that's under the vocals after Bucket's solo.

Ron did the solo. Bucket did the outro

Talk to someone who has versions of the song from before Ron was in the band. You might be surprised.

You know you're stronger than the lies that they tell you.

Scraped solo was Buckethead. Bumble played the solo that's under the vocals after Bucket's solo.

Talk to someone who has versions of the song from before Ron was in the band. You might be surprised.

Talk to someone who has the cd booklet. Ron did the solo Bucket did the outro.

Buckethead is listed as doing the outro for Riad, not Scraped. Bumblefoot and Buckethead both played the solo according to the booklet on Scraped.

This draft booklet has errors, so it cannot be used reliably.

The solo on Lies They Tell is all bucket it's just mixed better same as the TWAT solo the tone just really comes out nice on the final mix.

Buckethead is listed as doing the outro for Riad, not Scraped. Bumblefoot and Buckethead both played the solo according to the booklet on Scraped.

This draft booklet has errors, so it cannot be used reliably.

The solo on Lies They Tell is all bucket it's just mixed better same as the TWAT solo the tone just really comes out nice on the final mix.

Shit you are right.

The results of this poll shows that, when it comes to guitar solos, you can fill a song with mindless wanking and a zillion notes a minutes, but nothing beats a good melodic solo (which is why Robin's Better solo stands out as one of the best on the album).

Bucket's TWAT solo dominated the other poll.

I voted Scraped and Riad. I'd add Maddy but the studio version ain't got shit on the RIR version. Also both 'Better' solos should be mentioned, as well as the Prostitute ending solo...

I'm not an insider and there's no need to talk to someone who has versions of the song from before Ron was in the band. Ron plays Scraped solo and that's the truth, the fact. Talk to someone who has ears to regonize a fretless guitar being played - as you know, Bucket has never recorded anything - nor was seen performing - on a fretless guitar. The tone, the slides, the wah... everything is totally Ron's. Bucket plays the outro solo, you can clearly notice his bending towards the end as Ron's bending is totally different live... the live performances all have pretty much the same (with some improvisation thrown in, of course) soloing on the outro but played by Ron's hands. And you can notice that it's somewhat different from the studio version, and then again, the bending towards the end is where you should look at.

What's next, you gonna tell me that Shackler's solos were played by Bucket as well? I remember when we first heard "Chicken Dinner" the GNR community had several insiders confirming that Bucket was a god because he did the Shackler's crazy-ass solos when in fact it was totally Ron and the first fretless slide should be more than enough for someone who ain't tone deaf recognize Ron's fretless playing - the same slide that he used to do when performing Nightrain in '06 and '07 was the one that he played on Shackler's. Bumblefoot also plays the Riad solo and at the very ending he even plays a kind of counter-solo following/dueling Bucket's outro solo, so even the outro solo ain't only Bucket playing...

I voted Scraped and Riad. I'd add Maddy but the studio version ain't got shit on the RIR version. Also both 'Better' solos should be mentioned, as well as the Prostitute ending solo...

I'm not an insider and there's no need to talk to someone who has versions of the song from before Ron was in the band. Ron plays Scraped solo and that's the truth, the fact. Talk to someone who has ears to regonize a fretless guitar being played - as you know, Bucket has never recorded anything - nor was seen performing - on a fretless guitar. The tone, the slides, the wah... everything is totally Ron's. Bucket plays the outro solo, you can clearly notice his bending towards the end as Ron's bending is totally different live... the live performances all have pretty much the same (with some improvisation thrown in, of course) soloing on the outro but played by Ron's hands. And you can notice that it's somewhat different from the studio version, and then again, the bending towards the end is where you should look at.

What's next, you gonna tell me that Shackler's solos were played by Bucket as well? I remember when we first heard "Chicken Dinner" the GNR community had several insiders confirming that Bucket was a god because he did the Shackler's crazy-ass solos when in fact it was totally Ron and the first fretless slide should be more than enough for someone who ain't tone deaf recognize Ron's fretless playing - the same slide that he used to do when performing Nightrain in '06 and '07 was the one that he played on Shackler's. Bumblefoot also plays the Riad solo and at the very ending he even plays a kind of counter-solo following/dueling Bucket's outro solo, so even the outro solo ain't only Bucket playing...

Man I really need to tell apart what both guitarists sound like, I think knowing Ron is fretless is a good start now I just need to spot a fretless

Man I really need to tell apart what both guitarists sound like, I think knowing Ron is fretless is a good start now I just need to spot a fretless

The fretless sound is very distinct. Listen to Ron's Nightrain solo from RIR and compare to the Nightrain solo he did in LA (I'm talking about the Live Stream - he played half of his Nightrain solo on a fretted guitar...) and you'll notice, or the Pink Panther theme... when he uses the wah wah in the fastest part of the song (right after the Estranged snippet...) he plays a fretless and then when he switches to the fretted neck it sounds different. Also you should notice that the playing is different - there's no bends on the fretless, but slides that sound like bends. They don't sound the same and you'll get used to it. So yeah, I recognize a fretless mainly because of the different playing and the bluesier tone.

Btw it's not hard to recognize Bucket or Ron - Ron's bending is really different and he bends way more notes than Bucket does... Bucket, on the other hand, does sound more robotic (even his tone sounds kinda robotic to me), uses way more effects (Ron usually plugs his amp into a marshall and that's pretty much it) and follows a lot his own patterns constantly - Paul Gilbert's lick, "minigame tapping", some delay effects, Shawn Lane-like notes, etc.

From now on notice Bucket's playing (especially live!) and you'll hear the same licks being played countless times over and over.

Listen to Bucket's Nightrain solo. Now his Better solo. Now a few more solos like I.R.S., It's So Easy, Rocket Queen, Prostitute, some Maddy live performances, etc.

And I could go on...