Where would GN'R be today if....

Gunner927

Not sure if this is the right board but I've been pondering this for awhile, where would GN'R be today if they never broke up ?

Let's say hypothetically that the UYI lineup never broke up and worked things out it leads me to wonder what would've happened, would Axl and GN'R have sealed themselves away for 6 years ? Would Chinese Democracy have taken so long to put out ? Would there be more new music ? And would GN'R still be seen as a major rock band ?

I've been thinking about this for awhile and wanted to get your opinions on it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the old folks home! Duh :P

It's difficult to think about. because it was a band that was already on the breaking point during afd... It was a band meant to explode for whatever reasons.

I think if they were still together they would have made awesome songs and toured the world a lot of times. but I think it was right for them to explode.

Although some might hate the 01-02 versions of the band I really loved them. Perhaps it wasn't the best cirumstances but they were out there and tried to reinvent them selfs.

And I think the music state in those years weren't there to back em up. it was all hip hop and poppy little barbie dolls. no where to fit in.

But when they returned in 06 they seemed to fit in right well with the state of the music. And however it took still a few years to release chidem after that and even tour the world again with Dj Ashba, Now they seem to be really working well and hitting all cylanders... even the press seems to think so some of the time so that's good.

I think 2012 is gonna be an exiting year for us gnr fans.

Not sure if this is the right board but I've been pondering this for awhile, where would GN'R be today if they never broke up ?

Let's say hypothetically that the UYI lineup never broke up and worked things out it leads me to wonder what would've happened, would Axl and GN'R have sealed themselves away for 6 years ? Would Chinese Democracy have taken so long to put out ? Would there be more new music ? And would GN'R still be seen as a major rock band ?

I've been thinking about this for awhile and wanted to get your opinions on it.

Well they would have more than likely released more than one album and would probably have been on the level of The Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen. Instead they are playing to 5-6000 people per night Instead of 20-30,000 as they should be.

People seem to think GNR if they stayed together they would be this unearthly band. UYI was their peak. The Spag incident didn't do great and the grunge scene was taking over.

Original GNR will never be able to compete in the charts with today's music.

In before the nerdraging reunionists attack you for not following their revisionist history.

People seem to think GNR if they stayed together they would be this unearthly band. UYI was their peak. The Spag incident didn't do great and the grunge scene was taking over.

Why does The Rolling Stones,AC/DC, Metallica, U2, Bruce Sprinsteen, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi ect still pretty much sell out everywhere they play today. At one time Guns were as big as any of these bands If not bigger. What facts do you have to backup your statement that the original band wouldn't be able to compete In the charts and sell out today.

Edited by ironmt

I think they'd be in the same position. the past would be hard to top. they may have had a mid career slump then fought back around this time. but those guys seemed pretty burnt out. maybe someone would have died then the band would split up.

It was a band that was destined to burn-out. If they had forced themselves to stick together any longer, its possible that one (maybe more) of them would no longer be with us today. :(

Personally if I could go back in time to change one GnR related event, it would be to stop the release of Sweet Child o' Mine. I believe if they had had a slower start with their first album (if they had struggled a bit more) they would probably have stuck together better as a band and perhaps made more music.

Neither can the current GN'R. The best thing about the current GN'R is the old songs.

thats a good question.

my opinion is that they would have released Slash's "vision" for guns or some alteration of it and the band would have been panned pretty hard. Following up a cover album with that would not have been pretty at the time.

Now if they would have had fall to pieces (axl said it was floating around that early) then the press and fans would have loved it.

However, i really only believe Guns had one good album left in them. now consider that would be a total of around 5-6 good (to great) albums so no shame in that at all. I don't think we've missed that much other than them touring around.

just depends on the material they released really.

I think to retain a solid following (in America anyway), the UYI line-up would have needed to leave the extra musicians on the stage (Teddy Zig Zag, Tracy, Roberta, etc) and would have needed to strip it back to the Appetite sound. These guys are/were brilliant and I don't buy the belief that they couldn't put out something like that because they had become too rich/ famous etc.

I think had that been able to happen, they wouldn't have lost their base to the grunge/ Seattle movement. People forget that GNR were still huge when Ten and Nevermind came out. GNR killed GNR, not Nirvana, Soundgarden, or Pearl Jam.

they would have been our Rolling Stones. rock1 rock1

hmm they would definitely have been in the same league as Stones,Led Zeppelin,Queen..

its funny to hear people like Pierce Morgan talk about Slash and Guns as though he was once a big fan... i guess most people who were gnr fans back when they were together are disappointed at how things have turned out for the world's most dangerous band

given the path that duff and slash were on at the time, if the band never broke up.....duff and slash would probably be dead.

This is the big point against the "I wish they never broke up" crowd. These guys weren't the best with dealing with success and most likely one of them would be dead today. It's amazing they're all alive right now.