I Pledge To Be a Better Fan

CoolRanchDressing

2011 was a banner year for Guns N' Roses. Be band has become a bonafide touring juggernaut, turning in stellar three hour performances that blew the roofs off venues across the country. Reviews were glowing. There were several revealing high-profile interviews. A new website. A newsletter. Facebook and Twitter out the wazoo. Live streams. ESTRANGED. CIVIL WAR. The band itself is the tightest, most explosive and most musical line-up yet, and dare I saw ever. And recently, Axl finally decided to cast off the shackles of all the double talkin' jive motherfuckers from the "record industry" who've tried to manage him. With Beta managing, Guns N' Roses is finally in charge of its own destiny.

As amazing as 2011 was, this is just the start. A perfect storm is brewing for 2012, including the Hall of Fame ceremony and the seeming inevitability of Chinese Democracy II. At this critical juncture in Guns N' Roses history, the band needs us as much as possible. We need to be the wind in their sails. so to speak, and we need to let this band know how grateful we are for all their amazing work, and how hard we are prepare to work for them in the future. That's why I am pledging, from this day forth, to be a better fan.

1. I will not moan and bitch and complain on GNR's fan site. We know the band and the management reads these boards. I do not want to do anything to discourage, depress or antagonize them. If I don't have anything nice to say, I will not say anything at all.

2. I will not try and tell Guns N' Roses or their management what to do. As a fan, it is not my place to try to micromanage my favorite band, down to what songs they play in their set lists. I will consume, as I am the consumer. I will allow the creators to create.

3. Hard as it may be, I will relegate conversations about former band members to the section of the forum specially reserved for conversations about former band members. When new fans find the band and this forum, they shouldn't be confused as to who is in the band based on unnecessary forum cross-pollination. And as new fans find the forum, it would be a shame if they were dragged into the same, tired, futile old squabbles that define the lives of a few regulars around here.

4. I will respect the moderators of this forum, and observe rules regarding respectful treatment of other forum members. No two people will ever have the same taste in music. But we can all be civilized and friendly about it.

5. I will make an extra effort to let friends and family know about the happenings in the world of Guns N" Roses. I'm sure we all do this anyways, but with new music on the horizon that promises to be unique and different, it's a special opportunity to attract a new segment to the fan base.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don´t know if you are really serious with this topic but anyways...Just because the band and the camp read this forum doesn´t mean you can´t voice your opinion, as long as you keep it respectful and insult-free I don´t see a problem. Constructive criticism is good as long as it doesn´t turn into a bashing fest.

2011 was a banner year for Guns N' Roses. Be band has become a bonafide touring juggernaut, turning in stellar three hour performances that blew the roofs off venues across the country. Reviews were glowing. There were several revealing high-profile interviews. A new website. A newsletter. Facebook and Twitter out the wazoo. Live streams. ESTRANGED. CIVIL WAR. The band itself is the tightest, most explosive and most musical line-up yet, and dare I saw ever. And recently, Axl finally decided to cast off the shackles of all the double talkin' jive motherfuckers from the "record industry" who've tried to manage him. With Beta managing, Guns N' Roses is finally in charge of its own destiny.

As amazing as 2011 was, this is just the start. A perfect storm is brewing for 2012, including the Hall of Fame ceremony and the seeming inevitability of Chinese Democracy II. At this critical juncture in Guns N' Roses history, the band needs us as much as possible. We need to be the wind in their sails. so to speak, and we need to let this band know how grateful we are for all their amazing work, and how hard we are prepare to work for them in the future. That's why I am pledging, from this day forth, to be a better fan.

1. I will not moan and bitch and complain on GNR's fan site. We know the band and the management reads these boards. I do not want to do anything to discourage, depress or antagonize them. If I don't have anything nice to say, I will not say anything at all.

2. I will not try and tell Guns N' Roses or their management what to do. As a fan, it is not my place to try to micromanage my favorite band, down to what songs they play in their set lists. I will consume, as I am the consumer. I will allow the creators to create.

3. Hard as it may be, I will relegate conversations about former band members to the section of the forum specially reserved for conversations about former band members. When new fans find the band and this forum, they shouldn't be confused as to who is in the band based on unnecessary forum cross-pollination. And as new fans find the forum, it would be a shame if they were dragged into the same, tired, futile old squabbles that define the lives of a few regulars around here.

4. I will respect the moderators of this forum, and observe rules regarding respectful treatment of other forum members. No two people will ever have the same taste in music. But we can all be civilized and friendly about it.

5. I will make an extra effort to let friends and family know about the happenings in the world of Guns N" Roses. I'm sure we all do this anyways, but with new music on the horizon that promises to be unique and different, it's a special opportunity to attract a new segment to the fan base.

I will comply.

I don´t know if you are really serious with this topic but anyways...Just because the band and the camp read this forum doesn´t mean you can´t voice your opinion, as long as you keep it respectful and insult-free I don´t see a problem. Constructive criticism is good as long as it doesn´t turn into a bashing fest.

This.

You should be allowed to express dissatisfaction or displeasure over something as long as it comes from a rational and accurate place. Distorting facts and/or trolling is the real problem IMO

Edited by WhazUp

So basically you are trying to convert the Slash dingleberry chewers in to Axl nut swingers? Good luck with that.

I'm saying that if Axl and Slash can be civilized towards each other, so can we. My pledge was mostly just reinforcing the basic rules of the forum. If it's controversial to suggest we be cool to the band, its management and each other on a fan site, then I think that speaks volumes as how sorely this place has been contaminated by pessimism, cynicism and trollism. 2012 brings an opportunity for a fresh start -- for both Guns N' Roses and ourselves. Let's be the best fans we can be!

ahh fuck i just realized i broke number 6

7. I will not add arbitrary rules to the Pledge. Especially not for the purposes of intentionally breaking them for satirical effect. Part of being a good fan of Guns N' Roses is being a good friend to my fellow fans. I will not intentionally be mean.

So basically you are trying to convert the Slash dingleberry chewers in to Axl nut swingers? Good luck with that.

I'm saying that if Axl and Slash can be civilized towards each other, so can we. My pledge was mostly just reinforcing the basic rules of the forum. If it's controversial to suggest we be cool to the band, its management and each other on a fan site, then I think that speaks volumes as how sorely this place has been contaminated by pessimism, cynicism and trollism. 2012 brings an opportunity for a fresh start -- for both Guns N' Roses and ourselves. Let's be the best fans we can be!

I assumed that it was a prerequisite to joining these forums to understand that there are 2 factions on this site that are never going to agree about anything. HTGTH is the place you go to if you don't like people criticizing Guns N' Roses.

ahh fuck i just realized i broke number 6

7. I will not add arbitrary rules to the Pledge. Especially not for the purposes of intentionally breaking them for satirical effect. Part of being a good fan of Guns N' Roses is being a good friend to my fellow fans. I will not intentionally be mean.

I will take up arms.

I understand being pessimistic or negative. After all, it hasn't been the easiest road to get to this point with Guns N' Roses. Admittedly, there are plenty of things I would have like to have seen done differently too. But the past is the past and we stand poised at what is one of the most thrilling eras in Guns N' Roses history. Very exciting things are about to happen, and I would just like to see us all make an effort to at least TRY and put aside our personal differences and the disappointments of the past and embrace all that's to come by embracing the best in ourselves.

And I'm not saying that just as a fan of Guns N' Roses. I think Slash fans have a lot to be excited about too, including his new solo album and concert DVD. And they can still get excited about the possibility of Axl allowing Slash to play with Guns N' Roses at the Hall of Fame ceremony. There's plenty for everybody to be excited about in 2012.

I understand being pessimistic or negative. After all, it hasn't been the easiest road to get to this point with Guns N' Roses. Admittedly, there are plenty of things I would have like to have seen done differently too. But the past is the past and we stand poised at what is one of the most thrilling eras in Guns N' Roses history. Very exciting things are about to happen, and I would just like to see us all make an effort to at least TRY and put aside our personal differences and the disappointments of the past and embrace all that's to come by embracing the best in ourselves.

And I'm not saying that just as a fan of Guns N' Roses. I think Slash fans have a lot to be excited about too, including his new solo album and concert DVD. And they can still get excited about the possibility of Axl allowing Slash to play with Guns N' Roses at the Hall of Fame ceremony. There's plenty for everybody to be excited about in 2012.

So what then? You want to form a circle and sing Kumbaya? I really don't see anything to get too excited about. The only sure thing involving GN'R is the hall of fame and we don't even know who's going to show up.

This.

You should be allowed to express dissatisfaction or displeasure over something as long as it comes from a rational and accurate place. Distorting facts and/or trolling is the real problem IMO

I second that :thumbsup:

Dude, are you serious? Axl allowing slash to play w GnR @ the HoF? The only guitarists people want to see axl playing witht@ the HoF is Slash and Izzy - especially since none of GnRs current guitarists were inducted

Yeah you do that. No one will give a shit but have fun!