I Pledge To Be a Better Fan

CoolRanchDressing

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think the term "break up" is used too liberally.

If 2 or 3 of the original members were left I would agree, (does anybody actually count Dizzy?) but come on, Axl is the last man standing

Guns N' Roses as the world knew it definitely broke up, this is a totally different band that shares the same moniker, anybody who's being honest with themselves knows that for a fact.

who cares though? it is what it is, and music is still being made under that moniker only because of a legal technicality, but if you believe the band originally known as Guns N' Roses NEVER broke up... you're fooling yourself. plain and simple. If they never "broke up", Izzy, Slash, and/or Duff would still be involved. but they aren't

Brodie... are there any quotes where Axl specifically says that Guns N' Roses broke up? And not just former members breaking up?

Even though you weren't getting to see concerts, and management wasn't updating you on stuff, Guns N' Roses was always active. New members replaced old ones. Payments were made. Bands of different musicians and producers would get together in the studio, compose, rehearse, record and mix stuff. The label was paying for it. Legal teams and agents and managers negotiated contracts, mechanized and licensed countless of things, and were paid for their work.

Yet because one of the many guitarists who played with the band left, you sad few seem willing to embrace this bizarre alternate reality in which Guns N' Roses "broke up." And let me guess... the "reunited" right before the Vegas New Years shows. Then broke up again until the VMA's... etc... etc...

Instead of debating whether or not Guns N" Roses broke up, let's argue about how we could be better fans.

11. I'll be willing to give the band the benefit of the doubt. I understand that the business is more complicated than I can understand from the outside looking in, and I will trust that the band and its management are doing their best to make me happy, even if I've been disappointed in the past.

Then why does Axl say there was a break-up... Ugh I'm so confused...

A breakup of the illusions lineup perhaps?

Many see it as this, if no more two original members are playing in the band than that band has broken up. I can't think of another example when the last man standing records and tours under the same name except Jimmy Page did briefly with the Yardbirds until that band became Led Zeppelin. Seeing how original members left while being replaced by others and Slash and Duff left and were replaced at different times it can be argued the band didn't officially broke up but Axl will say they did to mark the end of an era.

Guess we agree to disagree.

You and Axl disagree as well.

So they broke up and Axl reformed the band?

Yes, according to Axl.

Alright then. I can live with that.

Yeah, I was on the "GNR never broke up" side too until Brodie proved me wrong.

Wow. I love it. Props to you dude. You could have handled that a different way. Most would have. Nice to see a little maturity around here once in a while. Good man.

Just wanted to say that I love all versions of gnr, and fully support this thread, and brodie, I like how you get your point across without being a complete asshole. Alot of people around here could take a lesson from the OP as well as gnrskidrow+brodie.

Also, if we can't discuss a topic without some asshole turning it into axl vs slash, or why the og band broke up, it should b moved to a "detailed thread section" or result in a warning for the person(s) who deliberately changes the direction of a discussion. I like being able to talk freely, but I hate when every fucking thread I read turns into the same debate 4 or 5 pages down the line. Its been going on forever, and its not even cleaver anymore.

Some of you cling so loyally to overcompensatory notions about GNR - that that even AXL himself wouldn't endorse them.

"Guns N Roses never broke up"

"This 2011 lineup IS Guns N Roses"

"The 2011 lineup is better than any other lineup"

"Chinese Democracy is the best GNR record of all-time"

Do you really believe Axl holds these beliefs? Think again.

The musicians featured in the current lineup is an exercise in the "best of limited options".

Some of you cling so loyally to overcompensatory notions about GNR - that that even AXL himself wouldn't endorse them.

Do you really believe Axl holds these beliefs?

Yes, I really do.

Next time you see Axl, go ask him if he really considers the band to be GNR. Ask him if he really preferred the hair metal line-up. A bloody nose will probably be your answer. Hopefully that's not too ambiguous.

Let me ask you... Why would Axl put himself through all the shit of soldering GNR on if he didn't honestly believe he was making better music, or that his band was "really" GNR?

As far as which record we like the most, that's totally up to personal taste. There is no science here. It's not chemistry, it's alchemy. To my ears, Chinese Democracy is sublime. But to those same ears, Paradise City is a silly, non-musical hair-metal mess. Chalk it up to personal tastes, and try not to get too bent out of shape about it. There are matters in this world far more deserving of your outrage.

I pledge to be a fan however the fuck I see fit.

When Axl earns praise, I'll be more than happy to give it to him. When he does something that warrants criticism, I won't pretend otherwise.

:thumbsup:

That's cool, and by taking the pledge I'm not asking you to lie to yourself or anyone else. And I totally get the disappointment fans have felt over the years. What I'm saying is that during this crucial period of re-birth, let's just TRY and give our favorite band the benefit of the doubt. Let's let our optimism get the best of us, and not put our petty forum squabbles on GNR's back. At least not for a little while.

Do you really believe Axl holds these beliefs?

Yes, I really do.

In addition, I find baths in DJ Ashba's sweat-soaked mascara runs to be quite faithful to my pores.

Why would Axl persevere through lineup changes, and migraines? I'll take "outstanding production costs to Geffen records for $15 million dollars", Mr. Trebek.

Mr. Rose opined Better, The Blues, and There Was A Time were not Guns N Roses songs.

I find it inspiring you like Chinese Democracy.

I find it even more inspiring there is a human being in this galaxy that can listen to This I Love with a straight face.