Rolling Stone Magazine "Our 10 Greatest Hopes and Fears for 2012"

Duda

I will die laughing if against all expectations Axl and Izzy turn up but Slash cancels at the last minuet.

My personal look on it is:

Hope: ALL of the original lineup suck it up and receive the award on stage together

Fear: Axl and Slash being on the same stage will kick start the apocalypse... :confused:

Edited by KiraMPD

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*rolls eyes at sailway's post*

i know it's tough for some of you to take, but there are people who DO enjoy rap/hip hop.

*rolls Sunny's eyes back to him*

I'm aware of people identifying/listening to more than one genre of music,I liked 2live Crew,Bodycount,and Bones,Thugs n'harmony.

But personally I think that the AMAs,MTV etc. Cater too much to the Hip/hopping rapsters.

You are so right. MTV was started as a rock music station. Then Michael Jackson made million dollar videos and they played his videos. Don't get me wrong I love MJ, but then it seemed that all of a sudden MTV was all about rap/hiphop or whatever the hell they're calling it now and rock videos weren't played anymore. Now MTV is all about stupid shows like Teen moms and those jerks from the jersey shore.

Rock bands still are making videos today, but mtv never plays them, unless it's like 7 in the morning. Everything went to rap and never went back.

MTV sucks. I never watch that channel. Half the time I forget I have it. Luckily, my cable company has music videos on demand, so I can watch rock videos anytime I want to. MTV needs to just shut down because it's not music tv anymore.

It is speculative, sensationalism articles like this that make me really dislike Rolling Stone,even though it is regular magazine size now.

What exactly was wrong with what they said? They didn't bash Axl or the current lineup. GNR getting inducted is something to watch out for in 2012. Are they just susposed to ignore that? They emphasized that it was unlikely they'd reunite, but are they just suspose to ignore the fact that fans want to see this go down the way they hope it will?

I'm curious, as you've claimed to work in the music industry, let's say you worked for Rolling Stone, and they told you to write this specific article and and told you to specifically mention the rnrhof and GNR, how would you have wrote it?

Working in the music industry does not equate being a journalist for Rolling Stone, 2 different animals entirely.

And I am unable to answer your question because I am not a journalist employed by Rolling Stone.

I can give you a sweeping scenario,I'm not flexible enough to attempt something if I have a gut-feeling against doing it,and this applies to all areas of my life.

i know it's tough for some of you to take, but there are people who DO enjoy rap/hip hop.

I'm aware of people identifying/listening to more than one genre of music,I liked 2live Crew,Bodycount,and Bones,Thugs n'harmony.

But personally I think that the AMAs,MTV etc. Cater too much to the Hip/hopping rapsters.

You are so right. MTV was started as a rock music station. Then Michael Jackson made million dollar videos and they played his videos. Don't get me wrong I love MJ, but then it seemed that all of a sudden MTV was all about rap/hiphop or whatever the hell they're calling it now and rock videos weren't played anymore. Now MTV is all about stupid shows like Teen moms and those jerks from the jersey shore.

Rock bands still are making videos today, but mtv never plays them, unless it's like 7 in the morning. Everything went to rap and never went back.

MTV sucks. I never watch that channel. Half the time I forget I have it. Luckily, my cable company has music videos on demand, so I can watch rock videos anytime I want to. MTV needs to just shut down because it's not music tv anymore.

The way I see it, MTV is and always has been for 'popular' music. MTV started as a rock station because rock n' roll was hugely popular back then and nowadays they play rap/RnB/hip-hop/techno music because thats what is popular now.

That is not the primary reason I stray from MTV (and other music channels). I don't watch them anymore because of the reason you mentioned above; MTV now is all about "reality" TV shows about spoiled rich people whom no average person can relate to or idiotic teens who I couldn't care less about. I don't know why people even watch that garbage other than the fact that its like a train wreck and you just can't look away.

Music TV should be about music, I don't care what genre of music it is in the end.

It is speculative, sensationalism articles like this that make me really dislike Rolling Stone,even though it is regular magazine size now.

WTF? There is nothing wrong with this article, whatsoever. Some posters on this board are the most emo people I have ever seen. Sure, it's "speculative" because guess what, the article is specifically about speculating what might happen in the future since most of us don't have time machines. As for "sensationalism", this is just silly. Okay, the writer would like to see a GNR reunion, as do many people, even though a lot of hardcore fans are quite happy with the current band, but they didn't say anything insulting or factually incorrect. Save the faux outrage for articles that actually are outrageous.

Wasn't outrage at all,faux,de jour or otherwise. I'm sure all of their "predictions" are geared to rope some more subscribers in,that's how they make money,corporate greed to the third degree.

I didn't care for a few sentences in that Article,and I haven't been an Avid RS reader for years. :rolleyes:

since when is making money corporate greed? if that's the case, Axl's the greediest of all the former members since he went to such lengths to get the name GUNS N ROSES - and that's the most bankable name - sure sure, I know all you nut huggers will say he wanted to protect the name - but all's he's done with it is make it a lughingstock the last 15 years

Putting all the "rap crap" musicians on the cover is selling out for a magazine like Rolling Stone.

Who used to cover Rock music,none of the pre-fab manufactured musicians. The A.M.A's have changed as well,it used to be watchable.

And before you hop down the Rabbit Hole too far trying to elicit an emotional remark for your own Gratification,Newsflash Axl owns the GNR name,he brought it in with him its only right for him to perform under that name.

If you don't or can't comprehend that simple principal why would you waste your time on this forum? :rolleyes:

I bet only Adler shows up :rofl-lol:

I HOPE that Adler will be the only one there. Fuck RRHOF and Fuck RS.

Ha! Adler is there already :xmassrudolph:

I don't read Rolling Stone, I don't watch MTV, or the AMA's.

I was responding to you bullshit about corporate greed like it's a crime to make money

And Axl didn't own the name till he pulled his power play

It is totally imbalanced,the music scene today,too much crap-rap,and manufactured "instant" stars constructed from abominations like "American Idol", and the likes of Hannah Montana,Jonas bros,and the ilk.

The monopoly that clearchannel has obtained makes it damn irritating to even attempt to find a station that doesn't funnel pure shit down everyone's throat and convince them they like that taste.

WTF? There is nothing wrong with this article, whatsoever. Some posters on this board are the most emo people I have ever seen. Sure, it's "speculative" because guess what, the article is specifically about speculating what might happen in the future since most of us don't have time machines. As for "sensationalism", this is just silly. Okay, the writer would like to see a GNR reunion, as do many people, even though a lot of hardcore fans are quite happy with the current band, but they didn't say anything insulting or factually incorrect. Save the faux outrage for articles that actually are outrageous.

Wasn't outrage at all,faux,de jour or otherwise. I'm sure all of their "predictions" are geared to rope some more subscribers in,that's how they make money,corporate greed to the third degree.

I didn't care for a few sentences in that Article,and I haven't been an Avid RS reader for years. :rolleyes:

since when is making money corporate greed? if that's the case, Axl's the greediest of all the former members since he went to such lengths to get the name GUNS N ROSES - and that's the most bankable name - sure sure, I know all you nut huggers will say he wanted to protect the name - but all's he's done with it is make it a lughingstock the last 15 years

Putting all the "rap crap" musicians on the cover is selling out for a magazine like Rolling Stone.

Who used to cover Rock music,none of the pre-fab manufactured musicians. The A.M.A's have changed as well,it used to be watchable.

And before you hop down the Rabbit Hole too far trying to elicit an emotional remark for your own Gratification,Newsflash Axl owns the GNR name,he brought it in with him its only right for him to perform under that name.

If you don't or can't comprehend that simple principal why would you waste your time on this forum? :rolleyes:

I was responding to you bullshit about corporate greed like it's a crime to make money

I'm finding it difficult to take you seriously.

You admit you don't read Rolling Stone,so what does it matter whether I like it or have issues with it?

And as for your "Power play" accusations, it's laughable, you weren't there.I'm putting odds on you hadn't been concieved yet. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

(Vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time)

So-called "pop music" is just that - popular music. Kids today like rap and dance music more than they like rock and roll. It sucks, but it's a fact. These things are cyclical, if a young rock star like axl or cobain comes along, it'll change again. MTV is geared to whatever teenagers want to watch. I personally hate all these shitty reality shows, but as long as they continue to get high ratings on MTV, they will continue to show them because they're in the business of making money just like everybody else.

So-called "pop music" is just that - popular music. Kids today like rap and dance music more than they like rock and roll. It sucks, but it's a fact. These things are cyclical, if a young rock star like axl or cobain comes along, it'll change again. MTV is geared to whatever teenagers want to watch. I personally hate all these shitty reality shows, but as long as they continue to get high ratings on MTV, they will continue to show them because they're in the business of making money just like everybody else.

Agreed, It's definately a cyclical beast, with a gigantic hole in its bowels at the moment. Most kids gravitate to what their friends listen to. Most would rather remain in their safe little cliche cliques,and not rock the boat.

I detest the reality shows as well,they are nothing but jumped-up-soap-operas insuring that people will put their focus there and not realize how complacent they are.

It is totally imbalanced,the music scene today,too much crap-rap,and manufactured "instant" stars constructed from abominations like "American Idol", and the likes of Hannah Montana,Jonas bros,and the ilk.

The monopoly that clearchannel has obtained makes it damn irritating to even attempt to find a station that doesn't funnel pure shit down everyone's throat and convince them they like that taste.

It isn't just Clear Channel's fault.

People don't want to pay for shit.

I heard this indie song on TV the other day and wanted to download it. After searching around the web, I found it for 39 cents on a indie site. I spent 2 MORE HOURS looking for it on a torrent/rapidshare/forum, because I didn't want to pay 39 CENTS for it....and I make a pretty good living. :tongue2:

Edit: Oh and I never found it for free, so I paid the 39 cents... and believe it or not I had the audacity to be angry that I had to pay.

Edited by SunnyDRE

It isn't just Clear Channel's fault.

People don't want to pay for shit.

I heard this indie song on TV the other day and wanted to downloaded it. After searching around the web, I found it for 39 cents on a indie site. I spent 2 MORE HOURS looking for it on a torrent/rapidshare/forum, because I didn't want to pay 39 CENTS for it....and I make a pretty good living. :tongue2:

Edit: Oh and I never found it for free, so I paid the 39 cents... and believe it or not I had the audacity to be angry that I had to pay.

Agreed Sunny,

It's feeling like a paradigm shift is on the wing, I honestly hope so. Music today is stale and stagnant.

Cool for the 39cent move,its not the money,its the principal of the matter. :thumbsup:

You admit you don't read Rolling Stone,so what does it matter whether I like it or have issues with it?

And as for your "Power play" accusations, it's laughable, you weren't there.I'm putting odds on you hadn't been concieved yet. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

(You judge abook by its cover and read what you want, between selective lines)

See, I can quote the same song.........lol

Let's try this one last time-the comment that got me was about rolling stone and CORPORATE GREED-

Every business is in business to make $$ - plain as fucking day

And I didnt accuse axl of the power play - slash, duff, izzy and matt did

But your absolutely right - I wasn'tthere and have no first hand knowledge of what went down

Nor do I care how it went down - I was only using that as an example of axl's greed as he would be the sole beneficiary of the name GUNS N ROSES as a corproate entity.

(You judge abook by its cover and read what you want, between selective lines)

See, I can quote the same song.........lol

Let's try this one last time-the comment that got me was about rolling stone and CORPORATE GREED-

Every business is in business to make $$ - plain as fucking day

And I didnt accuse axl of the power play - slash, duff, izzy and matt did

But your absolutely right - I wasn'tthere and have no first hand knowledge of what went down

Nor do I care how it went down - I was only using that as an example of axl's greed as he would be the sole beneficiary of the name GUNS N ROSES as a corproate entity.

You seem to be having a momentary lack of reading comprehension.You can have a business without unscrupulous corporate greed,and compromising your values.

Rolling Stone has published some needless vicious Articles,over the years,so I don't peruse their pages,I also don't go to some "Rolling Stone Magazine page/forum to spout off about my hatred and distrust to Mr.Wenner.

Lol, $lash is going to be there for sure.

I hope Axl doens't show.

you're a douche

Well thank you my dear.

Ha! Way to diffuse a situation :lol:

Back to Rolling Stone,Wenner is well aware of the volitile situation that may emerge,It insures him a large Audience.

so being a fan if a musician makes you a nut hugger? How old are you?

So fans at a website of a band are nut huggers.....what do u call people that hang out at a forum of a band that they think is a laughingstock?

GnR just got voted as the tour of the year.....ya, they are a real laughingstock.

I have a feeling more of these type of articles will come out over the next few months saying Axl should reunite with the old lineup, that he'll probably choose not to go just to piss them off.

I actually agree with this point.

I hope he does go though, even if it is just one song!!