Whats next?

tsunta

This Nikki Sixx quote in Rolling Stone is from a couple weeks ago, could GNR be one of the bands in negotiations with Crue? Of course there's the Sixx/Ashba connection, but rumors seem to point more to Kiss.

"This is the beginning of what will be the biggest probably four to five years of the band’s career. We’re negotiating with a couple of other extremely huge bands on doing a co-headline tour, something that’s never happened before."

That seems a peculiar quote. There was a statement (from Sixx I think) in the past few weeks where he said that he didn't think that the band would be active much more into the future and hinted that they may soon call it a day. With Mick Mars' condition deteriorating each year (he's still a great guitarist) I don't see how they'll be able to tour unless they got a replacement in which would just be odd.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My prediction : another few rounds of cash-grab tours. Two new replacement guitarists plus a new drummer for good measure, and no new music until at least 2017.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but doubt that I will be.

Edited by ashysdad

My prediction : another few rounds of cash-grab tours. Two new replacement guitarists plus a new drummer for good measure, and no new music until at least 2017.

So when did touring become a bad thing? Slash tours because he loves to play live, but if Axl tours its a cash grab?

I saw a show in 2011 and it was the best concert I've seen in years. GnR giving its fans 3 hour shows are cash grabs??????

Some people have the weirdest logic and expectations.

I agree will all of what you said. Pm me your email address. You can leave the forum now. I promise to email you in 2017 and give u an update.

So when did touring become a bad thing? Slash tours because he loves to play live, but if Axl tours its a cash grab?

It's a cash grab when they keep embarking on tours with no new music.

Some people are happy with this arrangement and that's fine, however I'm not interested in seeing 4 more shows with a samey classic GNR setlist.

I'd love to see GNR release some new material, but I'm not expecting it - that way I won't be let down when it never happens.

This Nikki Sixx quote in Rolling Stone is from a couple weeks ago, could GNR be one of the bands in negotiations with Crue? Of course there's the Sixx/Ashba connection, but rumors seem to point more to Kiss.

"This is the beginning of what will be the biggest probably four to five years of the band’s career. We’re negotiating with a couple of other extremely huge bands on doing a co-headline tour, something that’s never happened before."

That seems a peculiar quote. There was a statement (from Sixx I think) in the past few weeks where he said that he didn't think that the band would be active much more into the future and hinted that they may soon call it a day. With Mick Mars' condition deteriorating each year (he's still a great guitarist) I don't see how they'll be able to tour unless they got a replacement in which would just be odd.

I think that's why we're seeing Nikki do these different projects, lining up for the day when Crue will no longer work together, but who knows. I don't see him replacing members at this stage, either. 30 years is good enough of a reason to call it a day.

Something like this can go on for 3 years, and because there is closure, can turn into new music later on.

Some people are happy with this arrangement and that's fine, however I'm not interested in seeing 4 more shows with a samey classic GNR setlist.

I'd love to see GNR release some new material, but I'm not expecting it - that way I won't be let down when it never happens.

So adding Civil War and Estranged - two of the most beloved GnR songs of all time isn't enough to get you to attend?

Also, I saw this band a few years back and this year and Sorry, This I Love, Shackler's and Riff Raff were new songs played this time around...........so that's at least a six song difference in the two American tours........what more do you want?

You call it a cash grab, I call it giving your fans a chance to enjoy live music.

Music is about albums and live performance.

People in this forum complain when GnR isn't touring, and then they complain when they do tour. It's ridiculous.

They complain when the band doesn't do interviews, then when they all finally do them (including Axl) they complain that they aren't saying the right things.

I think the frustration comes from that the current band has yet to produce anything that has any significant impact among the majority of fans, despite being a "band" twice as long. Instead of moving forward, Axl just added two songs from yesteryear, and I don't think that helps fans desiring a reunion any less. The nu band covers the material well, and puts on an entertaining show, but it's hard to respect them as their own band, as they have yet to produce anything that has the universal appeal as the songs they cover. I fully understand why Axl did this current tour, as they never got around to it after the release of CD, but if they tour a year from now, with nothing new to bring to the table, then it becomes difficult to justify, since Axl claims he wanted to keep the name alive and moving and wasn't doing all this to keep it all "buried".

I'm not saying Axl should ever stop playing the hits. But by now, it should at least be even between the old material and the new stuff. Not a show that's 75% covers.

As for the interview aspect, I mean it's a step forward that they (including Axl) were talking to the press, but nothing really was revealed that we didn't know or suspect already. I don't think of it as being ungrateful, but it's kind of dissapointing that nothing concrete is in the cards by now. What exactly were they doing for all of 2011 before Rio?

"Hard to respect them as their own band".........................

That's what I don't get.

I saw them a month ago and it was one of the 5 best shows I've ever been to in 25 years of going to rock shows.

When I'm at a concert, and the band is tearing it up for three hours, I'm not thinking "Boy, this isn't the orginal guys, this group hasn't recorded a new song together, I haven't seen an official band picture, how can I respect them as a band." I am listening to the music and enjoying myself.

I understand a lot of the points that you made, and I understand why people bring them up. I really do.

But at the end of the day, this is just rock and roll. Some people are sooooooooo hung up on all the side issues that they miss the forest because of all the trees.

Think of going to a movie.

I can go to a movie, buy some popcorn and candy, and sit back and enjoy two hours of mindless entertainment.

Others, nit-pick every single thing to death. Was it worth 120 million dollars? Is it better than the other works by the director? was the lead actor worth his 15 million dollar pay check? the reviewers/critics gave this movie a B - is it really a B, or is it a b- or a c-plus? the main supporting actress said this was the best performance of her career. Was it really? Wasn't she better in her last movie? This movie had an opening weekend take of 55 million. Was that too much? Who is going to see this movie? Ooooh, there is a plot hole there - the guy had his seat belt on and now three seconds later his seat belt is off.

The foreign original of this movie was much better.

This movie is really popular, so I must bash it so I seem hip and cool and smarter than the average movie goer.

And on and on and on and on.

Point being, I just think that fans would be better off to not over analyze and nit-pick every single aspect to death....and instead be able to just enjoy the moment.

And the interview thing, you kind of prove my point. People bashed Axl for years, saying he had gag-orders on his band. Now they start talking, and people are complaining that they aren't giving out enough information!!!!!!

What more do you want them to say?

They have songs that aren't released yet.

Some of the band members have worked on new songs.

Some of the band members have worked on new songs with Axl.

They all hope to write and record together.

They don't know when the next album is coming out. They don't know what songs are going to be on the next album. And they don't know if the next album will feature old songs like The General, Thyme....or if it will be all new songs written by the current band.

I don't think they are lying to us, I think they just don't have anything else to tell us.

Not trying to be harsh or argue with you - just presenting a different opinion!

So adding Civil War and Estranged - two of the most beloved GnR songs of all time isn't enough to get you to attend?

Also, I saw this band a few years back and this year and Sorry, This I Love, Shackler's and Riff Raff were new songs played this time around...........so that's at least a six song difference in the two American tours........what more do you want?

You call it a cash grab, I call it giving your fans a chance to enjoy live music.

Music is about albums and live performance.

People in this forum complain when GnR isn't touring, and then they complain when they do tour. It's ridiculous.

They complain when the band doesn't do interviews, then when they all finally do them (including Axl) they complain that they aren't saying the right things.

It is only ridiculous when you simplify it in two basic and very vague catagories when you know there is heaps of gray area. People complain when the band isn't touring and there is no new music, that is totally justified as we have been starved for new music for about 17 years(minus one year when we got Chidem). We aren't talking about a year or so off from touring either. Since TSI, Guns have been inactive(touring wise) for 11-12 years and actively touring for 7, and that's counting the 2 month 2011 tour etc. People complain when they are touring because there is no new material or album to tour with. At least in 2001-2002 they debuted several new songs. You're telling me that in the entire 2009/2010/2011 tour they couldn't debut one new original Guns song? In all those shows, not one. Sure the casual fan who used to be into Guns back in the day won't say "Oh they didn't play The General, this sucks" but to the hardcore fan it is a bit disappointing. Is it enough to make or break a show, hell no, I will see Guns when they come down to Melbourne next and I'm sure it will rock the house. But it won't totally negate the slight disappointment if there is no new music.

Bobbo.....with all that said, I do understand the first part.

If I was in charge, I would spend 2012 writing and recording and release the album in early

But in early 2012 I would release a box set featuring all the unreleased CD songs, a tour dvd, the better video and any other videos, and any of the alternative song versions of the cd songs. That would be a great gift for the fans.

A wait of any length will be pretty disappointing. This band needs to put out as much new music as possible.

Uhhhh . . . the record came out in '08 . . . the tour started a year later and just finished up.

What are all these tours with no new music you speak of? They put out a record, waited a little while, and then toured the world to play the record.

What exactly are you talking about?

The 2002 and 2006 tours where intended for the album to be released after each tour but since the album never came out in 2002 or 2006 they

probably decided to wait until they release the album first. They cancelled the last parts of the tour in 2007 so they can finish the album. Since there were problems with the cover art and promotion they were a little late on tour, started in Asia in 2009 toured around the world in 2010, took a ten month break, had a warm up tour In Latin America and finally tour North America. In an interview in 2008 or 09 Ax was asked if he was going to focus on the next album. His answer was to focus on Chinese Democracy for awhile. Now he seems to a little more focused on the future, dealing with new management and now it's the label they need to come to an agreement.

If all goes well I say we will get a new album around 2014 or 2015.

if the poster's definition of a "cash grab" tour is a tour with "no new music" i don't really see how the recent tour is a cash grab tour since it was the first tour since releasing a new album and they were playing several songs from that album that weren't played on previous tours.

Yeah I was originally going to address the previous post but my mind processed it into something different.

Yeah they play like half the album on tour which is a lot for a band thats Been around for over 20 years. The first show in 2009 they played the entire album save for Riad N' the Bedouins probably due to a lawsuit. In America they bring in fans by playing old tunes such as Estranged, songs they didn't get the last two tours then slam them with new songs which a lot of reviews comment how great they sound live. It may not be the most well attended and highest grossing tour of the year but it certainly made an impact to those who went.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with MSL... Granted, we as a fanbase haven't seen any new music performed live since probably 2009 (The Asian tour), yet the casual American fans probably saw songs like Sorry and Shacklers performed live for the first time this tour. I do agree that 10 years of CD seems quite a long tour, however I think that world has now seen CD live. I don't wish to speculate as to what will happen next, because to be honest I don't think anyone on this board has a clue what's going on inside Axl or the band's mind. There are a lot of questions that we would like answers to (RNRHOF, the situation with BBF etc) but I guess as always, we just have to sit back, relax and try to enjoy the ride. Like it or not, the last few years have been some of the most interesting times for GNR. Since 2006 the band has either toured or released something every year; which to my mind is pretty awesome! We as a community have endured so much, and we will (broadly speaking) continue to do so; simply because we love this band, or are at least intrigued by them. There is a lot of hope that CDII (for lack of a better title) will drop, or be hinted at this year, and it seems plausible to suggest it may do so. But whatever happens, or doesn't happen this year, we will endure it together, like the bad asses we are!

Peace!

xXx

As for the cash grab accusations, I don't think the band is making a lot of money per show, seeing how expensive it to tour with eight guys, and an army of roadies and assistants. That is a lot of upkeep. Plus Pyro technics and lights are not cheap, neither is keeping a venue open after closing time. Cash grab my ass. Just anti Axl propaganda. Money is not the only reason to tour these days but it is certainly one of them. Even the hero Slash wouldn't tour if he wouldn't receive a check.

if the poster's definition of a "cash grab" tour is a tour with "no new music" i don't really see how the recent tour is a cash grab tour since it was the first tour since releasing a new album and they were playing several songs from that album that weren't played on previous tours.

Yeah I was originally going to address the previous post but my mind processed it into something different.

Yeah they play like half the album on tour which is a lot for a band thats Been around for over 20 years. The first show in 2009 they played the entire album save for Riad N' the Bedouins probably due to a lawsuit. In America they bring in fans by playing old tunes such as Estranged, songs they didn't get the last two tours then slam them with new songs which a lot of reviews comment how great they sound live. It may not be the most well attended and highest grossing tour of the year but it certainly made an impact to those who went.

I was at that show in 2009, they didn't play Scraped, Sorry or Prositute. I don't think they played Madagascar either. Or Catcher. But I did get ITW, TWAT, TIL, Shacklers plus the CD staples.

I think CD is having an impact but it's only now that the songs are getting a reaction live. Once they start with new songs then people will be like Better is a classic.

It sort of seems as if Axl has to put out another album so people will finally accept that he was serious about this New GNR thang, and he's not just another loc'ed out middle aged Malibu white boy gone crazy.

Edited by ITW 2012

I was at that show in 2009, they didn't play Scraped, Sorry or Prositute. I don't think they played Madagascar either. Or Catcher. But I did get ITW, TWAT, TIL, Shacklers plus the CD staples.

I think CD is having an impact but it's only now that the songs are getting a reaction live. Once they start with new songs then people will be like Better is a classic.

They did at Tokyo.

Better is a classic, perfect encore song and fans dance to it.

Edited by BirdCatcher

They did at Tokyo.I

I thought you might have meant Japan but I was mid sentence. First show was Taipei but it was like a warmup show.

And singalong to words which surprised me. I think Shacklers should be song 2.

I think it would give somekind of perspective on CD. There's clues but with nothing to compare it to it's like seeing a UFO.

I had a dream cd2 was out and it had a picture of Buckethead's unmasked face inside the booklet. It still had incorrect lyrics to all the songs tho.

Edited by Rovim

They did at Tokyo.I

I thought you might have meant Japan but I was mid sentence. First show was Taipei but it was like a warmup show.

And singalong to words which surprised me. I think Shacklers should be song 2.

Yeah I forgot about the other shows but Tokyo was like the premiere of CD even though it was over a year late. I think Better and Shacklers get a lot of love and Sorry and TIL must hit a few heart strings.