DJ Ashaba "I wrote 12 songs for new GNR album"

gnrkoncerti

Still kinda weird to me how different DJ's musical approach compared to Chinese and that direction is.

I wish I knew what that meant like, was it planned to get that sort of a guitar player, even after Robin left and Axl was in need of a replacement? He can probably pick from almost anyone.

Was that even a factor? Seems like he wants to release cd2 and that's in the same style as Chinese but does he just want to release it cause he views that whole project as a double album and then move on to a more hard rock style?

They should make a tv series called 'Axl Speaks Chinese' where he'll just read whatever we're asking from a piece of paper and just answer these burning issues. Eddie Trunk could be there to laugh when Axl tells a joke and DJ can just sit in the corner for support, not saying a word, just restringing his guitars.

Edited by Rovim

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dj reminds me of companys that appoint new CEO's and there all optimistic saying that the culture will change and there will be higher profits etc

and three years later nothing has changed in the company.

I applaud his optimism but he's ignorant if he thinks Axl will take his songs before buckets/the general/atlas

So frustrating that they didn't release the follow-up to Chinese this past summer. Would've been a news story, boosted ticket sales for the tour, and put a lot less pressure on the current group to go into the studio and get something out quickly.

I just hope they don't decide to focus solely on new stuff for the next couple of years and keep everything else in The Vault.

Does anyone really believe that Axl will keep Buckethead and Robin's parts on the CD era material?? Of course he won't. I know he kept BH on CD after he'd left, but supposing GNR drop the new album in 2012, that's ten years since BH left the group. There's no way he'd keep the guitar parts of two ex members and ignore DJ.

I think the next album will be 3/4 CD-era material (with re-recorded guitar parts by Ron and DJ), and 1/4 material written with the current line-up.

Does anyone really believe that Axl will keep Buckethead and Robin's parts on the CD era material?? Of course he won't. I know he kept BH on CD after he'd left, but supposing GNR drop the new album in 2012, that's ten years since BH left the group. There's no way he'd keep the guitar parts of two ex members and ignore DJ.

I think the next album will be 3/4 CD-era material (with re-recorded guitar parts by Ron and DJ), and 1/4 material written with the current line-up.

But...Axl said it will be the same people on the next record (Bucket and Robin) after Ashba joined Guns.

He also mentioned Robin's SRV type solo, as well as saying he always thought about Chinese as a double album, which to me means you need to have the same guitar players in the work if you want any kind of thematic fluidity, at least in most of the songs.

I mainly try to convince myself there is no way any important Robin/Bucket guitar parts will be erased in favor of something else, but I also know Axl is not dumb, and I don't think he will not use a fantastic solo like say for example, something in the level of Bucket's There Was A Time outro on cd2, just for the sake of using the current players.

Edited by Rovim

I agree with you. I like Ron better than Bucket and even though I'm not a big fan of DJ, I think Finck is the worst guitarist the band has ever had, so that would be a winning situation for me.

I could see them taking a Axls CD era songs, DJs material, Fortus song, Ron song, Tommy song and re-recording it all. The finck or bucket songs might end up on the Cutting room floor.

:(

As much as it would suck, it would be pretty cool to have freshly recorded, more stripped down, straight-ahead versions of the songs if they're produced anything like CD. I do love layered, complex music, but CD can be a little hard to listen to sometimes with so much production.

Edited by chevelle

I could see them taking a Axls CD era songs, DJs material, Fortus song, Ron song, Tommy song and re-recording it all. The finck or bucket songs might end up on the Cutting room floor.

As much as it would suck, it would be pretty cool to have freshly recorded, more stripped down, straight-ahead versions of the songs if they're produced anything like CD. I do love layered, complex music, but CD can be a little hard to listen to something with so much production.

I'm all for new material from Bumble, Fortus etc but please put out the 2 unreleased albums first with very minor additions

As much as it would suck, it would be pretty cool to have freshly recorded, more stripped down, straight-ahead versions of the songs if they're produced anything like CD. I do love layered, complex music, but CD can be a little hard to listen to something with so much production.

I'm all for new material from Bumble, Fortus etc but please put out the 2 unreleased albums first with very minor additions

Yeah, I really want to hear that stuff too, but I'm willing to take any form of new music from this band right now. If writing and recording together right now is what kicks them into high-gear, and continues this good run they've been having, I'm all for it. And like someone else said, I can't see Axl leaving the music he spent a decade perfecting in a vault somewhere - if he's in any way sane, he'll put it out eventually.

I'm pretty certain the next record will contain songs from the Bucket/Robin era. Maybe one totally new song written by the current incarnation but Axl did not spend all those years working on the likes of The General etc to not have them on an album.

I disagree, if he was serious about releasing them he would have done so already

As much as it would suck, it would be pretty cool to have freshly recorded, more stripped down, straight-ahead versions of the songs if they're produced anything like CD. I do love layered, complex music, but CD can be a little hard to listen to sometimes with so much production.

CD had los of layered guitars, vocals, etc, but why do you guys keep sayin' that CD was complex? I don't think the compositions are complex by any means, standart rock with several influences and then some complex playing/arrangements.

I think Ashba is a good ingredient to this band. The other guys are a bit "weirder" and he's more bluesy, so hopeflly we get a record that is somewhere in between.

It seems Axl is in good spirits nowadays and that is likely to make him creative and productive. We all know what he has in him...to say the least!!!

Six years before Chinese, Fortus replaced Paul Tobias. Who ended up being the rhythm guitar player on the majority of tracks? Tobias. Hell, there were songs that neither played!

Again: Axl won't just throw away tracks written by the CURRENT MEMBERS like himself, Tommy, Dizzy and Pitman. You guys focus way too much on the guitar leads.

I'm pretty certain the next record will contain songs from the Bucket/Robin era. Maybe one totally new song written by the current incarnation but Axl did not spend all those years working on the likes of The General etc to not have them on an album.

I disagree, if he was serious about releasing them he would have done so already

Then why did Chidem take so long to come out if he wasn't serious about releasing them? Fortus and Bumble had already replaced Tobias and Bucket respectively and Chidem was compromised of all decade old material.

Six years before Chinese, Fortus replaced Paul Tobias. Who ended up being the rhythm guitar player on the majority of tracks? Tobias. Hell, there were songs that neither played!

Again: Axl won't just throw away tracks written by the CURRENT MEMBERS like himself, Tommy, Dizzy and Pitman. You guys focus way too much on the guitar leads.

Yeah but no one can argue that Axl really likes Dj in the band, now whether or not that transitions into Dj writing some music Axl likes and will actually release on the next gnr album is a different story.

Bumblefoot was in the band for a short space of time compared to Dj, and he has a few solos on CD, and even replaced some bucket solos, which is what scares a few people if DJ does that to the old CD stuff.

But...Axl said it will be the same people on the next record (Bucket and Robin) after Ashba joined Guns.

He also mentioned Robin's SRV type solo, as well as saying he always thought about Chinese as a double album, which to me means you need to have the same guitar players in the work if you want any kind of thematic fluidity, at least in most of the songs.

I mainly try to convince myself there is no way any important Robin/Bucket guitar parts will be erased in favor of something else, but I also know Axl is not dumb, and I don't think he will not use a fantastic solo like say for example, something in the level of Bucket's There Was A Time outro on cd2, just for the sake of using the current players.

Axl has spoken many times about unreleased songs that contain the work of former members. He told a member here at the Versace ablow as awayhat BUcket's solo on SIlkworms will blow as away. He mentioned how Brian May's solo on Atlas Shrugged may not be on the song and also Robin's SRV blues solo. Why would he mention all this if he had no intention of ever releasing the old material? The label paid for the studio time and musician salaries, I doubt they are going to fork out more money to have this band record more material when the first record took so long to finish. I doubt Axl will foot the bill to record new material when the label will profit mainly from it. Not to mention there is existing material.

That´s great news. I liked DJ since he first entered the band and could hear some of his stuff on youtube but he got me really hooked when he played Mi Amor in Rio. I think GNR have three fantastic guitar players right now and they all add something to the band that makes it sound special. I´m really excited to hear what they have up their sleeves!