DJ Ashaba "I wrote 12 songs for new GNR album"

gnrkoncerti

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's exciting if true that a new record is now the focus. I have a hard time believing that, though, judging from Guns N' Roses history in the last decade and a half.

But DJ Ashba ... I have ZERO hope the guy can write a killer Gn'R track. Nothing I've heard from him has been any good. Not even a little bit.

They say you can't shine shit. And if it's true he's writing

Gn'R material, then I guess we'll have to see if Axl can make that dung sparkly.

No need to be a prick - how many award-winning albums have you written and played on? Please let me know if they are available on itunes so i can listen to them and judge you...

How am I being a prick? I personally feel everything I heard from Ashba has been generic or drivel. What does it matter how many award-winning albums I've played on? (Answer: none.) That is such a stupid argument to make. You are by extension saying no one can critique a film, a television show, or a band, ever, unless they've won a slew of awards. You're better than that.

Everything I've heard from Velvet Revolver has been super generic paint-by-numbers rock........and people loved them. So what's the point?

DJ doesn't have to write the next great legendary rock song. Give us some music we can stick in the IPOD or on the car stereo to blast while driving. The songs don't have to change music history - just give us something to enjoy.

I kinda want songs I can play a thousand times not just the one time listen radio crap

I could see them taking a Axls CD era songs, DJs material, Fortus song, Ron song, Tommy song and re-recording it all. The finck or bucket songs might end up on the Cutting room floor.

:(

As much as it would suck, it would be pretty cool to have freshly recorded, more stripped down, straight-ahead versions of the songs if they're produced anything like CD. I do love layered, complex music, but CD can be a little hard to listen to sometimes with so much production.

CD had los of layered guitars, vocals, etc, but why do you guys keep sayin' that CD was complex? I don't think the compositions are complex by any means, standart rock with several influences and then some complex playing/arrangements.

That's what I mean, complex in that there are so many layers of music going on at once, compared to an average 2 guitar/1 bass/1 drummer/vocalist kind of set up.

So what's the point?

DJ doesn't have to write the next great legendary rock song. Give us some music we can stick in the IPOD or on the car stereo to blast while driving. The songs don't have to change music history - just give us something to enjoy.

I agree with you, but I don't know if Axl will. It's pretty clear he's not interested in making rock music. And so the next album has to be even more excessive and epic and layered. But if DJ can bring him back to the land of hooky hard rock, I'll be shocked.

So would you disagree with this evaluation then?

Hooky hard rock.............Better, IRS, Street of Dreams

Classic sounding GnR songs..............SOD, Madagascar, Catcher, TWAT, Prostitute

Hard rock type songs..........Rhiad, Chinese Democracy, Sorry

Getting creative (in relation to their normal sound)........Shacklers, Scraped, This I Love

That's a pretty creative album.........featuring some diversity in sound (shackers, this i love), mixed with classic sounding GnR songs (Madagascar and Catcher could have been Illusions songs) and the poppy catchy songs with hooks - Better, IRS and SODs.

Can't someone fix the thread title?? Dj never said that he has written 12 songs for the new GNR album....He said he had let Axl hear twelve songs he had written with GNR in mind, and that Axl liked them. Not that he thought they would be on the next record....Why is it so hard to just pay attention?

:rofl-lol: at some of the sad, pathetic morons complaining about this. Jeez, can't believe that a guy who is in the band had to nerve to write some songs with GNR in mind and that Axl had the nerve to like some of them

As mentioned before the ideal scenario would be a double album, one disc written/recorded strictly by the current lineup and another disc with best stuff left from the CD sessions

Some of you guys are just so fkn stupid. Do you think Axl hire him if they had completely differing views on the band's musical direction? Also, have you ever heard the word "collaboration"?? It's not like Axl is likely to take a whole song and just go: "I like every little detail about it,let's do it!" They gotta start from somewhere and if he liked 12 D songs, isn't that a great place to start???

Screw all the DJ haters, just because he doesn't have a bucket on his head and because he's a nice sociable guy, he's not GNR material??!!

If they use all 12 songs for the next album, it'll be a DJ Ash ablum with Axl on vocals.

I hope not. Ron mentioned some years ago that he thought Simple Days would soung good w/ Axl's vocals but it never happened, so he released it on his own record. If Axl liked songs like Ballad of Death and Mi Amor better than songs like Simple Days or Motivation (or Riad, Shackler's, Better, etc) I won't be interested in any future GNR records.

As long as that album has the cd left overs/bucket songs in with some new song then that's good

I really hope these albums see the light of day. I'll spew if Robin's parts get cut and redone by DJ.

This is a joke, right?

Robin is a stain on the GNR legacy.

So what's the point?

I agree with you, but I don't know if Axl will. It's pretty clear he's not interested in making rock music. And so the next album has to be even more excessive and epic and layered. But if DJ can bring him back to the land of hooky hard rock, I'll be shocked.

so will i, and thrilled :)

Edited by sturginho

Slash fans be jealous of DJ Ashba.

+1

DJ is a lot cooler, smarter, better looking, better guitar player, better web designer, better producer, the list goes on and on and on and on. He's a fuckin' entrepreneur.

it's like comparing a K-Car to a Corvette.

You need professional help. :thumbsup:

+1

DJ is a lot cooler, smarter, better looking, better guitar player, better web designer, better producer, the list goes on and on and on and on. He's a fuckin' entrepreneur.

Why because our opinions are different? Maybe you need help? Ever think about that?

Yeah, I considered that... until I saw your post :)

who the fuck does this guy think he is

The lead guitar player for Guns N' Roses...cut the mullet and get over it.

This is great news and any GNR fan that doesn't think the same.... well.....

We all know there was more music written for CD than what made it on to the album, songs Axl actually wrote/co wrote. As GNR fans I would think we would be way more interested in hearing those songs than what the newest guitar player from Sixx AM whipped up. "HEY GUISE I WROTE THE NEXT RECORD" How could Axl hate Slash for that but let DJ waltz in and take creative control?

So the blind derision for DJ DOES have its roots in simplistic Slashlove.

actually the roots lie in the fact that the two bands DJ has writing credits with suck

+1

Why because our opinions are different? Maybe you need help? Ever think about that?

Because you're presenting your opinions as fact.

+1

I don't know why but I find these random conversations funny :lol:

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/61421

It actually takes until the second last paragraph before the first mention of the old band. Good job NME.

So typical of them to attach the "fans" reaction to reading festival. I had a friend that went to that and now apparently "hates" Axl for it but I told her its your fault for not doing your research. Glad I ended up not going to that gig, english crowds are the worst.

who the fuck does this guy think he is

The lead guitar player for Guns N' Roses...cut the mullet and get over it.

This is great news and any GNR fan that doesn't think the same.... well.....

We all know there was more music written for CD than what made it on to the album, songs Axl actually wrote/co wrote. As GNR fans I would think we would be way more interested in hearing those songs than what the newest guitar player from Sixx AM whipped up. "HEY GUISE I WROTE THE NEXT RECORD" How could Axl hate Slash for that but let DJ waltz in and take creative control?

So the blind derision for DJ DOES have its roots in simplistic Slashlove.

actually the roots lie in the fact that the two bands DJ has writing credits with suck

Two bands? Goes to show how much you know. He has writing credits with more than two bands.

Ali

Nothing of Sixx Am quality will be on a record alongside Axl Rose i'm quite sure, DJ can play aside from the mainstream rock radio stuff, he might enjoy that and it brings money in and keeps him in the public eye but he also has a side with depth and talent I feel and Axl will bring that out of him.

I hate to break it to you guys but GNR is mainstream rock.

They are lightyears better than most stuff out today but still mainstream rock. There's nothing wrong with that though.

Old guns n nuGuns alike. Better, SOD, TIL.... Very poppy IMO. Granted there are some epics and different things going on on CD.

Even a DJ penned song with Axl vocals would be great though because Axl just takes it to the next level.

They're in the mainstream but I wouldn't say they're a mainstream seeking band, Guns material doesn't sound desperate to be on the tv or radio and tick all the cliche boxes.

A lot of stellar bands are on the radio and television every five minutes but it's because it's too good not to be and it isn't always overly complex, Radiohead are massive and they've done it without bowing down to corporate rock.

Edited by RandallFlagg

I do see what your saying. But the name GNR is VERY mainstream and Axl chose to keep that name. If he wanted to go under the radar and didn't care to be noticed why keep the name? And I do believe they intended to release videos it just didn't happen.

Many claim thy the holdup for CD was because Axl didn't get the budget for promotion he wanted. Why would this matter to him if he didn't care to be mainstream?

But I'm on board with Axl and nuGNR whatever the intentions may be.