Was Axl influenced by Steve Vai?

saber_

When listening to Chinese Democracy, one can notice a few Vai-esque sounds here n there (even in unexpected places like how Axl sang "but i don't want to do it"). Those who are familiar with Vai's catalog may pick up on it more than those who've just heard a little bit of Vai's stuff.

Do you think some of the sounds in Chinese Democracy were a product of Axl being influenced by Steve Vai in any way?

Or do you see it as more a product of Buckethead being a fellow virtuoso like Vai, thusly any musical similarities were due to happenstance and coincidence that come with the territory of virtuoso geetar work?

Or something else? What say you?

Probably not. And does it even matter?

Thank you for your insightful and thoroughly researched response. There is ample evidence to support my premise; Madison even commented on it once; and this entire forum's purpose is to discuss GnR ad nauseum. So, yes it does matter. Why don't you just fuck off.

Ok well I think what most of you are saying is yes to my second question, which was: Or do you see it as more a product of Buckethead being a fellow virtuoso like Vai, thusly any musical similarities were due to happenstance and coincidence that come with the territory of virtuoso geetar work?

And of course it was folly of me to omit Bumblefoot, but in the opening post I was partially referring to the inception of Chinese Democracy and any influences on Axl or Bucket that may have helped shape a few bits n pieces of CD. To be clear: I'm not saying there's like some super ultra mega similarity- i'm just sayin I can kinda hear a Vai influence on CD, in general terms. Whether that be because of Axl or Bucket or Bumble is undetermined.

As for providing specific musical parallels, I'll give ya a few, but ya gotta give me a little time. Chinese Democracy is one record, but Vai has like 15. However, there is one I can give you right off the bat: elephant sounds. Oh and just for shits n giggles, vai's most recent studio album was named real illusions: reflections. See there, it has the word illusion in it? Ok that was a joke, but the elephant sound thing is a real point.

Didn't read?

Well don't post!

Because I assure you no one cares either way!

didn't read

Don't take this the wrong way buddy, but if someone's gonna cupcake me, i'd rather they be somebody smart (no offense) who comes in here and says something like "blah blah blah and furthermore in conclusion while both the guitarists may share similar legato techniques when playing the bend squeal trill pull off slide partial arepggio thingies, bucket tends to favor the minor seventh ninth diminished modulations while Vai prefers the inverted 13th diminshed 6th sharp transpositions, so clearly there are very few similarities."