Best Van Halen album

Towelie

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've only heard 5150, and I loved it. Every song is damn catchy. I didn't vote, though. I figured this poll would help me pick which album to pick up, since my dad wants to take me to a Van Halen concert to make up for selling my GN'R tickets, you know, HIS favorite band to make up for missing out on one of mine. I see his logic.

Anyway, looks like I should start with VH1.

Start there. It's fast paced, high energy and just plain awesome. Even though it's hard rock it has sort of a punk quality in that it's short and really in your face, if that makes sense. The whole album can be listened to in like 20 minutes, but that's part of the charm. I can only imagine how much it must have changed lives back in 1978.

Short? Excellent. In that case, I'll give it a spin now. :thumbsup:

This poll reaffirms my opinion that Diver Down was the worst DLR album.

also, that despite a good song here and there, 1 is the only must-have DLR album.

No.

They each have at least one song that you need to hear (except maybe Diver Down), but I can't say that out of the other 5 there is one that you absolutely have to have.

Oh shit, VH1 is awesome. Lots of energy. Every song has something really cool going on. The intro to Runnin' with the Devil, all of Eruption, the bass on You Really Got Me, the drums on Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, the shoobadoo stuff on I'm the One, the chorus/harmonies on Jamie's Crying, the guitar, bass, and DLR's vocals on Atomic Punk (it sounds like the roots of metal, actually), the chorus of Feel Your Love Tonight, everything about Little Dreamer, DLR's vocals on Ice Cream Man, and the bass and chorus harmonies on On Fire are absolutely killer. This album kicks ass. I'm glad I gave it a spin. :lol:

Damn, Little Dreamer alone just blew me away. :wub:

Oh shit, VH1 is awesome. Lots of energy. Every song has something really cool going on. The intro to Runnin' with the Devil, all of Eruption, the bass on You Really Got Me, the drums on Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, the shoobadoo stuff on I'm the One, the chorus/harmonies on Jamie's Crying, the guitar, bass, and DLR's vocals on Atomic Punk (it sounds like the roots of metal, actually), the chorus of Feel Your Love Tonight, everything about Little Dreamer, DLR's vocals on Ice Cream Man, and the bass and chorus harmonies on On Fire are absolutely killer. This album kicks ass. I'm glad I gave it a spin. :lol:

Little Dreamer is one of those hidden gems. I love it. It's a shame it wasn't played on the last tour but maybe this time around. Glad to hear you enjoyed the album! :thumbsup:

Little Dreamer is one of those hidden gems. I love it. It's a shame it wasn't played on the last tour but maybe this time around. Glad to hear you enjoyed the album! :thumbsup:

Little Dreamer was played on the last tour:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/van-halen/2007/air-canada-centre-toronto-on-canada-1bd7a96c.html

I hope they keep it, it was great in '07. I really wish they'd play my favorite VH song this time around though; Feel Your Love Tonight (I know the odds are against that though... <_< )

EDIT: Fuck it, I wish they'd just play all of the first album. I know they did 8 songs last tour plus part of Eruption was in Eddie's solo, but everything about that album is just so...perfect.

Edited by Powerage5

Little Dreamer was played on the last tour:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/van-halen/2007/air-canada-centre-toronto-on-canada-1bd7a96c.html

I hope they keep it, it was great in '07. I really wish they'd play my favorite VH song this time around though; Feel Your Love Tonight (I know the odds are against that though... <_< )

EDIT: Fuck it, I wish they'd just play all of the first album. I know they did 8 songs last tour plus part of Eruption was in Eddie's solo, but everything about that album is just so...perfect.

You're right, I was mixing that up with Feel Your Love Tonight. I couldn't remember off hand which one was played and which one wasn't. Those are two of my favorites.

I have my Van Halen mix CD for the car go from Feel Your Love Tonight into Panama. The transition speaks for itself - pure fun and energy. Bring it back I say! :thumbsup:

I do agree, just play the whole damn album, although I suppose I could live without "On Fire" since that's my least favorite on it.

I'm disgusted at all the votes the Van Hagar albums have gotten.

what? all 9 of 'em?

That's the joke.

The debut is the only album from Van Halen I really like. There isn't a bad song on the album and there are a lot of very very good ones. "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" and "I'm the One" are possibly my two favorite Van Halen songs.

It's funny how, critically speaking, each Sammy album was given worse and worse reviews (at least from what I read online), but in reality I think each Sammy album got better and better. Some of the best material with Sammy came near the end. Balance is dark and awesome. I've also always found it funny how "Humans Being" wound up being the last song with him (not counting the three on Best of Both Worlds) since much of the Sammy era was plagued with people demanding less keyboards, something heavier, and sure enough, the last song is one of the heaviest they ever recorded.

I've also always found it funny how "Humans Being" wound up being the last song with him (not counting the three on Best of Both Worlds) since much of the Sammy era was plagued with people demanding less keyboards, something heavier, and sure enough, the last song is one of the heaviest they ever recorded.

It's too bad that one got lost in the shuffle as a non-album cut, but it's probably in my top 3 VH songs ever.

I've also always found it funny how "Humans Being" wound up being the last song with him (not counting the three on Best of Both Worlds) since much of the Sammy era was plagued with people demanding less keyboards, something heavier, and sure enough, the last song is one of the heaviest they ever recorded.

It's too bad that one got lost in the shuffle as a non-album cut, but it's probably in my top 3 VH songs ever.

Agreed, I love Humans Being. Later Van Hagar material is fantastic, they cut the ballads and went for a darker sound with Balance