Do you consider GNR Lies to be a proper album?

Towelie

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's a half live half stripped down/acoustic EP, and its great. Not sure what you mean by proper but I love it so I said yes.

Let me put it this way, what do you consider to be the follow-up to AFD, Lies or UYI??

UYI, Lies are just a slap dash collection of songs that are better than many give credit for. The last four Lies tracks are great.

It's a half live half stripped down/acoustic EP, and its great. Not sure what you mean by proper but I love it so I said yes.

Let me put it this way, what do you consider to be the follow-up to AFD, Lies or UYI??

UYI, Lies are just a slap dash collection of songs that are better than many give credit for. The last four Lies tracks are great.

Agreed. I would go as far as saying that Patience / Used To Love Her / You're Crazy / One In A Million is one of the strongest four track sequences on any GNR album.

I'd say Lies because it felt more like an actual follow up, maintaining the same simple 5 piece rock band vibe but with a different feel. UYI was a step in another direction, and ultimately sounds like a more fine tuned machine with Sorum on drums instead of Adler, not to mention all the other influences tossed in. But I guess I can understand why somebody would consider UYI a follow up for the same reason, I just think Lies is different enough from AFD to be considered the same, even if it was so rag tag. That was the thing about GNR though, if they didn't get so huge we probably would have seen a few more of those cool little stylized EP's before enough money was made for another full length. GNR blew the fuck up though.

I don't get the notion of discrediting a release just because it isn't a traditional LP, whats the point of that? It's still new music from the band, and it is what they came out with between UYI and AFD. Even if it was done in a matter of days (i think thats what makes it so special, one session for the acoustic songs?) I don't see why it shouldn't be considered their sophomore release, its a damn good 8 songs.

Technically though, it isn't. In publications LP's are acknowledged ahead of EP's because they're larger productions. I just don't like to be so rigid when talking about music like that, seems pointless to me.

Edited by sweetness

UYI was a step in another direction, and ultimately sounds like a more fine tuned machine with Sorum on drums instead of Adler, not to mention all the other influences tossed in.

See, to me it's the exact opposite. Sure, you're right about Sorum vs Adler. But overall: with AFD there was more collaboration, with everybody involved in everything, from songwriting to input on production and mixing. And you can hear it in the music. With UYI, it's a raging wildfire, complete chaos, with everyone pulling in a different direction. And you can also hear it in the music. (I personally prefer the latter: I think this creativity born of conflict is brilliant, albeit always short lived, but UYI is my favorite album [to me it's a single album] of all time.)

I thought they released LLAS on Lies because the originals were going for outrageous amounts of money in the mom and pop stores. They could have added a bunch of songs to it and made it a full length album if they wanted.

It actually clocks in around the same length as most of Classic VH's albums do.

• 1 month later...