rasp vs mickey mouse

Apollo

"Epic" was the most annoying word attached to GnR in the past.......then it was the idiotic hired hands and cover band statements....then people saying Axl had a gag order in place.......

Now people are obsessed with labeling axls vocals as rasp or mickey mouse. Well that is just friggen stupid.

Axl has a lot of range as a singer. He can go deep, he can use rasp, he can go clean, and he can hit the high notes. That's one reason we all love him as a singer. He has a very unique voice that can produce several different sounds. I personally love the high pitched "helium" voice.

So is there any way we can stop with the idiotic "rasp" and "mickey mouse" talk now? You may like one over the other, but most people want to hear all styles of singing from Axl.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know by making this topic I'm sort of feeding into it.....and I will get the moronic "don't tell me what i can post about, tou arent the posting czar" comments.

I just think all the rasp and mickey mouse comments in EVERY thread is ridiculous.

Yes, the term is perhaps overused, but it helps people define certain eras or time periods. It's a quick reference.

Personally, I think the helium sounding "Mickey Mouse" stuff is pretty brutal considering I grew up with the raw, angry, raspy and shrill Axl Rose. But as Axl himself sings, "Nothing lasts forever."

The Mickey Mouse thing doesn't just refer to the lack of rasp. The voice can be clean and sound very good. The Mickey thing appears when it loses strength and just sounds ... off. It's hard to explain. I think calling it this way is perfect because that's exactly what it sounds like, I personally can't think of a better way to describe it.

I agree about the range. As for the amount of rasp, that's a different issue, it's not directly correlated with the range. I personally prefer as much of it as possible, but that's just my preference. I can do without it though. What I dislike is not his using different voices, but using the wrong voice for a particular segment, and unfortunately that happens; not always, but it does happen.

I just think all the rasp and mickey mouse comments in EVERY thread is ridiculous.

It's a legitimate issue. Besides, he's a singer. What are we gonna talk about, if not his voice?

It's funny cause a song like Better, which a lot of people here enjoy, contains both the rasp and the clean, more high pitched voice.

I don't think it would have sounded as good with only the rasp, as he uses both in the same verse, on the same line even.

So I agree, while I prefer the rasp for the most part, live or in the studio, the best choice for me is a mix of both.

Axl proved to me the clean voice has a place in Gn'R songs and it's probably also not as damaging to his vocal chords too.

What I heard live in 2011 was very good, so I really have no complaints. The 2010 voice was fucking awesome tho.

Edited by Rovim

The Mickey Mouse thing doesn't just refer to the lack of rasp. The voice can be clean and sound very good. The Mickey thing appears when it loses strength and just sounds ... off. It's hard to explain. I think calling it this way is perfect because that's exactly what it sounds like, I personally can't think of a better way to describe it.

I agree about the range. As for the amount of rasp, that's a different issue, it's not directly correlated with the range. I personally prefer as much of it as possible, but that's just my preference. I can do without it though. What I dislike is not his using different voices, but using the wrong voice for a particular segment, and unfortunately that happens; not always, but it does happen.

It's a legitimate issue. Besides, he's a singer. What are we gonna talk about, if not his voice?

I love the "mickey mouse" voice.

It is all a matter of preference.

The rasp is what separated Axl's voice from other cheesy 80's singers. It made his voice seem masculine, violent and angry. Without it, it's no different than something you'd hear on a Judas Priest album *shivers*.

The only singer who could get away with sounding like a girl is Mercury.

Edited by Nintari

The rasp is what separated Axl's voice from other cheesy 80's singers. It made his voice seem masculine, violent and angry. Without it, it's no different than something you'd hear on a Judas Priest album *shivers*.

I disagree. It's not like Axl used the clean voice in one way, like Halford does so often. Madagascar and Street Of Dreams sounded great with the clean voice, even better then the raspy performances in most cases imo.

I.R.S's clean vocals sounds angry and raw even tho it's clean but I admit I would have loved a studio version with rasp.

My point is: Axl uses the clean voice very differently in I.R.S and Catcher for example and it works imo. He also mixes them together in some songs like Better and it sounds great. (as I mentioned before)

I don't get why comparing a voice to Mickey Mouse is offensive. It's just what we call "one of his voices." And no, I don't think the majority of people want to hear it. In fact, your love for the voice is a minority opinion...

I love vocal variety, but it just sounds so weak sometimes. Like Civil War from the Vegas show. He does this awesome raspy, "My hands are tied," and then in the middle of the chorus, he switches back to Mickey. The difference was way obvious.

The thing is, because he has so many voices, not everybody is gonna like every voice. For instance, I don't like the way he sings "I can't speed up the time" or "The lights they shine so bright" on live versions of Patience. It reminds me of Bruce Dickinson's Seamen Staines voice on "Dive! Dive! Dive!" actually, now that I think about it. Either way, I have a major dislike for that voice.

People dislike the voice, so they discuss it. Axl is a vocalist. What do you expect to be discussed? His nose?

I'd rather talk about the Mickey Mouse voice than his nose...

Sailing Wembley is a great example of axls ability to use both the clean and rasp voice, 2006, and even more so In 2010 were Axls best years in the "00s

I disagree. It's not like Axl used the clean voice in one way, like Halford does so often. Madagascar and Street Of Dreams sounded great with the clean voice, even better then the raspy performances in most cases imo.

I.R.S's clean vocals sounds angry and raw even tho it's clean but I admit I would have loved a studio version with rasp.

My point is: Axl uses the clean voice very differently in I.R.S and Catcher for example and it works imo. He also mixes them together in some songs like Better and it sounds great. (as I mentioned before)

I guess it's just a difference in opinion and taste. I think a high clean voice sounds too feminine aka Halford. But that's again, personal opinion so....*shrugs*.