Slash's SCOM solo

Dead Flower

Eh... I don't know. Every time I've heard him play that song he sounds bored... and I can't say I blame him. After about halfway through the solo though, THAT is gold. That is the point where I truly start to appreciate the song.

My fav Slash solos would be Slither, Nightrain, Paradise City, Mr Brownstone...

Edited by KiraMPD

I'd say no.

Slash's best solos are those in Slither, Serial Killer and the November Rain outro.

Wrong. SCOM is his best most awesomnest solo ever.

I liked Robin's take on the SCOM solo more, and I'm not saying that to stir shit up or anything.

Slash wrote it, and it's a great solo. But I liked Robin's different approach.

Yeah, no. Finch was terrible.

It's almost cliché to say it's his best solo, but it really is. Everything about it just flows so nicely. The beautiful bends in the first half, the sheer speed and aggression in the second half, and a good mix of the harmonic minor with the blues and pentatonic scales.

I actually prefer his solos on Breakdown and The Garden. I was trying to figure out what makes Slash stand out to me. I think it's because, like, when you hear a rock song from any other band, you hear the song, right? And then there's some kind of segue and you think, "Oh, it's guitar solo time," and then, lo and behold, there's the solo. The solo itself may be excellent, but it always sounds like, "And here's our transition to the guitar solo!" It's not like that with Slash and Guns. You never think, "They're prepping for the guitar solo." The guitar solo is just a part of the song. It's not a separate entity or just a default for every song; it's just as important as the rest of the song. It doesn't sound, I don't know, spliced in there, or like they're trying to fit a solo in. It's just a section of the song. It makes sense to solo there. And the solo itself makes sense in the song.

Edited by Kill Devil Hill

I actually prefer his solos on Breakdown and The Garden. I was trying to figure out what makes Slash stand out to me. I think it's because, like, when you hear a rock song from any other band, you hear the song, right? And then there's some kind of segue and you think, "Oh, it's guitar solo time," and then, lo and behold, there's the solo. The solo itself may be excellent, but it always sounds like, "And here's our transition to the guitar solo!" It's not like that with Slash and Guns. You never think, "They're prepping for the guitar solo." The guitar solo is just a part of the song. It's not a separate entity or just a default for every song; it's just as important as the rest of the song. It doesn't sound, I don't know, spliced in there, or like they're trying to fit a solo in. It's just a section of the song. It makes sense to solo there. And the solo itself makes sense in the song.

I never thought about it, but I totally agree with this. It's so organic with Slash. He truly is a fucking guitar God.

My favorite Slash solo, at least one of my favorites, is that November Rain outro. That is RIDICULOUS sick. I saw Gn'R live last year and even hearing other people playing his solo over Axl singing gives you chills.

It's almost cliché to say it's his best solo, but it really is. Everything about it just flows so nicely. The beautiful bends in the first half, the sheer speed and aggression in the second half, and a good mix of the harmonic minor with the blues and pentatonic scales.

This.

He just fucking tears through that guitar half way through that solo.

Slash's SCOM solo is the best version of the 'SCOM solo' ever, period. But that said, the live solo never sounded like the studio one. :shrugs:

Slash's best solos IMO: Double Talkin' Jive (live), Serial Killer.

That's because it needs 2 different guitars. That's why I love the Ashbe/BBF version!!! And no, I'm not a Slash basher...

I never thought about it, but I totally agree with this. It's so organic with Slash. He truly is a fucking guitar God.

My favorite Slash solo, at least one of my favorites, is that November Rain outro. That is RIDICULOUS sick. I saw Gn'R live last year and even hearing other people playing his solo over Axl singing gives you chills.

I assume you're talking about the NR outro. There are actually 3 amazing solos in that song, kinda like there are two amazing solos in SCOM. Pretty impressive to pull off 5 extremely memorable solos in just two songs.

I assume you're talking about the NR outro. There are actually 3 amazing solos in that song, kinda like there are two amazing solos in SCOM. Pretty impressive to pull off 5 extremely memorable solos in just two songs.

Yup, agree. I was talking about the outro ... you don't have to assume though, because I said I was talking about the outro ;)

Yup, agree. I was talking about the outro ... you don't have to assume though, because I said I was talking about the outro ;)

Oops, didn't see the earlier part of your post. :rofl-lol:

Slash's SCOM solo is the best version of the 'SCOM solo' ever, period. But that said, the live solo never sounded like the studio one. :shrugs:

Slash's best solos IMO: Double Talkin' Jive (live), Serial Killer.

That's because it needs 2 different guitars. That's why I love the Ashbe/BBF version!!! And no, I'm not a Slash basher...

Huh? The SCOM solo has never sounded like the studio version. NEVER.

SCOM solo is played with such intensity... the second half of the solo nicely sets up the powerful 'where do we go now' part... Infact the solo is my fav part of the video... Axl taking off his jacket as if getting ready for the intense part... how cool is that?

Guest BumbleBoob

For me his best solos are after the last verse on Locomotive, Used to love her, the end of Back and Forth(snakepit) and on Starlight(w/Myles), they are tight!