Slash's SCOM solo

Dead Flower

Slash's SCOM solo is the best version of the 'SCOM solo' ever, period. But that said, the live solo never sounded like the studio one. :shrugs:

It never does. The studio recording was very particular and its all about the specific amps used and the resonance of the sound in the studio room. That being said, it sounds a lot like the studio version nowadays, probably due to technology and better/more versatile amps.

Edited by KiraMPD

Slash's SCOM solo is the best version of the 'SCOM solo' ever, period. But that said, the live solo never sounded like the studio one. :shrugs:

It never does. The studio recording was very particular and its all about the specific amps used and the resonance of the sound in the studio room. That being said, it sounds a lot like the studio version nowadays, probably due to technology and better/more versatile amps.

I think Slash is just playing it more faithfully nowadays as opposed to the Illusion tour. Often in those shows the fast build-up would be a mess or he'd speed his way through it, losing the articulation of the notes. That and he'd be a little heavy on the wah so some parts didn't scream as they should have. It seems that recently with Myles he's gone back and re-learned many of his old solos faithfully while still leaving a bit of room for improvisation. I think Slash's playing on the last tour with Myles is his best live playing ever.

I think Slash is just playing it more faithfully nowadays as opposed to the Illusion tour. Often in those shows the fast build-up would be a mess or he'd speed his way through it, losing the articulation of the notes. That and he'd be a little heavy on the wah so some parts didn't scream as they should have. It seems that recently with Myles he's gone back and re-learned many of his old solos faithfully while still leaving a bit of room for improvisation. I think Slash's playing on the last tour with Myles is his best live playing ever.

That is all true but I was referring more to the sound of the guitar rather than his technique... :lol:

That being said, even though Slash's playing has been more technically precise during the last tour it sounds too "studio" for me, ya know? I've always preferred it when he used to fuck up a little and improvised around it. That is the beauty of a live performance to me.

Edited by KiraMPD

That is all true but I was referring more to the sound of the guitar rather than his technique... :lol:

That being said, even though Slash's playing has been more technically precise during the last tour it sounds too "studio" for me, ya know? I've always preferred it when he used to fuck up a little and improvised around it. That is the beauty of a live performance to me.

+1.

Definitely one of the greatest solos of all time, up there with Stairway to heaven really. "Best solo" is not about how many notes you can fit in a bar of music. The melody, note choice, flow, scale selection, phrasing and build up are infinitely more important. I play guitar and play Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera solos and I still get blown away by the SCOM solo.....

I always wondered how he came up with that solo, if he hated the song so much, why was there so much heart in it?

Seemed to be a common thread with Slash's best work being the shit he hated for some reason...makes you think how good the shit he must have been pumping out was around 1996 lol.

in a group setting, you're not gonna win every argument. And as such, you can either tell everyone to get fucked, or you can work thru it. And once you make the choice to work thru it, the rest is simple, you're not just gonna half ass it